LMU-DCOM Class of 2011 continued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We haven't heard from you in a while, welcome back!

Oh, and can you believe it is only two weeks until classes start? :eek:

I'm nervous, but I am actually partying...we've worked so hard for this :hardy::banana::clap::banana::hardy:

Sorry.

I was recently married and am trying to get everything packed, etc.

There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! Does anyone know detailed info about our orientation, especially on August 1? I just was accepted last week, so I don't think they've sent that to me yet.

thanks!!

Sorry.

I was recently married and am trying to get everything packed, etc.

There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Congrats! Oh and I understand that there are not enough hours in a day!

Hey there! Does anyone know detailed info about our orientation, especially on August 1? I just was accepted last week, so I don't think they've sent that to me yet.

thanks!!

I haven't heard anything about the orientation schedule except that spouses and significant others can come and go to a special presentation on what medical school will be like. Also they can then attend a catered lunch, but you have to register for it...so e-mail Dr. Leo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to the bookstore last week (and actually bought a Histology book used). They said that the total cost for the diagnostic kit and some other necessary equipment was around 800 and change...

I think I'm going to wait to see on books and stuff because from what I could tell, the bookstore is VERY competitive on pricing.

Also have an LMU-DCOM decal to put on my truck window!

howdy from TN! I am in the Holiday Inn right now due to some lovely water problems, but when your landlord owns the hotel, it makes it easy to get the room for free! :D

Mover are coming Friday and they said they are having problems getting movers to help unpack the truck due to all of the DCOM peeps moving in.

If anyone is next to the school, give me a ring, my house is right where the bridge ends across from the school.

I didn't even know they offered us meal plans. I thought we had to fend for ourselves. Is there a website that has more info or does anyone have an email then can forward me?

Side note:

Can anyone list a few local banks?

I use a bank in my town that isn't national.

Thanks!!!

Sure. The bank with the best service in the area is Citizens Bank. They have locations in Harrogate, Tazewell, and New Tazewell (to name a few). Besides, my wife is an executive assistant so they support the DCOMers!! The website is as follows:

www.citizensbanktn.com

does anyone have any info on the tablet PC?
are we supposed to just buy one, will it be provided?
any and all details welcome.
links welcome too. thanks.

Supposedly it is going to be provided during orientation.

I do believe there is going to be a charge for the preloaded anatomy software, though.

It is the Gateway tablet -M285 or something like that. The school received a grant so this year the tablets are free (except the software Fermata mentioned). Next year the students will have to purchase them. Here is a link to some info http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1992913,00.asp

Well I made it to TN. I'm actually at the Downtown Inn in Middlesboro until I find a house but I'm here. 3 days of driving (most of it across TX) with a cat that just didn't want to be a part of this whole road trip (who knew cats howled):scared: but I made it. :banana::banana:

I look forward to meeting you all. PM me if you want to get together!

Well I made it to TN. I'm actually at the Downtown Inn in Middlesboro until I find a house but I'm here. 3 days of driving (most of it across TX) with a cat that just didn't want to be a part of this whole road trip (who knew cats howled):scared: but I made it. :banana::banana:

I look forward to meeting you all. PM me if you want to get together!

:laugh: Congrats on you successful trip. Cats howl? :laugh:

We loaded our cats up with Ace before we embarked on our journey and they did GREAT. Actually, all 6 of our critters have been awesome during this whole ordeal.

I'm gonna try to post a pic of the OMT uniform tonight or tomorrow.

Today's new TN experience was nice! Knox County has FREE trash drop-off centers! All kinds of recycling, etc...

Good way to save ourselves about 200 extra bucks a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is the Gateway tablet -M285 or something like that. The school received a grant so this year the tablets are free (except the software Fermata mentioned). Next year the students will have to purchase them. Here is a link to some info http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1992913,00.asp

Hi! How did you find out about the computer, who did you talk to? I was looking at the specs- do you know if we only have 512 mb of RAM? is there anyway to get more? thanks!

Hi! How did you find out about the computer, who did you talk to? I was looking at the specs- do you know if we only have 512 mb of RAM? is there anyway to get more? thanks!

At my interveiw and then Dr. Leo sent out an e-mail about them. I looked to see if I saved it, but I didn't. I would just e-mail him.

computer has 2 gigs of ram, not 512. i remember that. core 2 duo, 80 gb hd. this model is no longer made, so I wonder if we have the renamed version or this version. same computer in the end (a free one, which is awesome). i would have liked a mac, but im not complaining.

computer has 2 gigs of ram, not 512. i remember that. core 2 duo, 80 gb hd. this model is no longer made, so I wonder if we have the renamed version or this version. same computer in the end (a free one, which is awesome). i would have liked a mac, but im not complaining.

yeaaa i was thinking 2 gigs too..still anything that's worth 2 grand shouldn't be bad.

I'm actually pretty excited about getting a computer, especially a tablet! I wish I could get the exact specs of the machines we'll be receiving. I'll take whatever they give us, but I do like to know what I'm getting so I can decide if it needs to be upgraded or not. :)

thank you- glad to know! although i guess i wouldn't complain either, seeing as its free :)

I have a favor to ask those of you who are already here. If you hear of a house for rent (preferably 3BR) PM me so I can go look at it. I put an ad in the local papers and am going to talk to realtors today but it doesn't hurt to spread the info around.

Thanks!!!

Hi Guys

just wanted to let you know that Nascardoc(jim) has been down there since Tuesday. I know he said he has met many of you already in the lab. I can't wait to come down there and meet all of you as well!

HEY guys!!!! im a new addition to SDN!! im moving to Harrogate on the 29th coming from Richmond,va...can't wait to meet all of you awesome people! so is anybody else have all sorts of mixed emotions like me? im excited, nervous, scared, sad all at the same time...i feel like a confused teenager. see ya guys soon

Cheeseburger is dead.:( I knew he was going to die this morning when I checked on him. I made an appointment with my vet to have him put down, but he died before then. MY POOR ROOSTER!!!!! :(

sorry to hear about your rooster:(

HEY guys!!!! im a new addition to SDN!! im moving to Harrogate on the 29th coming from Richmond,va...can't wait to meet all of you awesome people! so is anybody else have all sorts of mixed emotions like me? im excited, nervous, scared, sad all at the same time...i feel like a confused teenager. see ya guys soon

I understand your feelings lankan. I have said that exact thing to everyone who has asked me if I'm excited. Are you living in the dorms or do you have a house/apt? Good luck on your move!

Hey Shasta I know you're looking for a 3 bedroom and Dr. Leo emailed me one last week that I was going to take but decided not to... PM me if you want more info!!!

Computer Info (from an ancient email):

M285-E: Convertible Laptop
Microsoft XP Windows Tablet Edition
2 MB of Memory
80 GB Hard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
DVD Writer
14” Display
Wireless and Bluetooth enabled
4-year warranty
Carry Case

:D

Computer Info (from an ancient email):

M285-E: Convertible Laptop
Microsoft XP Windows Tablet Edition
2 MB of Memory
80 GB Hard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
DVD Writer
14” Display
Wireless and Bluetooth enabled
4-year warranty
Carry Case

:D

awesome. that should be a pretty good machine.

Hi Everyone!

I will be coming to Tennessee from California this Monday or Tuesday to look for a house to rent and an elementary school for my daughter. I was wondering if anyone has good ideas on the best way to seek out rental homes? Any help would be appreciated! :oops:

Shasta - I know some places are posted in the Middlesboro Daily News online (http://www.middlesborodailynews.com/); you may wanna check there?

Oh, and as for the scrubs, are we required to purchase the school ones? Just curious.

Can't wait to see you all!
Deziree

Well Im finally in Tn.... It only took me 8 hours to drive which wasnt too bad... Their putting me up in one of their dorms until next week, and suprisingly its really nice. My undergrad dorm room was nothing like this place let me tell ya.... I guess there are a few other dcomers here already.... maybe we should all get together and go down to dollywood sometime this week before school starts lol... well if anybodies in town lemme know and maybe we could hang.... and lemme know where the bars are too hahahalol....

LMAO!!! They are just jealous! :lol:;)

I just today got the hookup on eight 2 BR, 2 BA apts setup for
roommate living in a doorman building with fitness center and
incredible, panoramic views of the city from all sides. Two of the
apts have terraces! The apt sizes are between 1275 sq ft and 1367 sq
ft. Their prices are the key! They range from $3200 to $3700 per
apt, which is dirt cheap for what they're offering. That's a cost of
$1600-$1750 max per person per month, which is really not bad at all.

Should I tell them that we just got a 2300 sq. foot 2-story for less than half of one of those silly apartments, and I'd say our views are pretty nice. :) Oh, and I just doubled the size of our deck to 20X12...wonder how big their "terraces" are? ;)

Hi Everyone!

I will be coming to Tennessee from California this Monday or Tuesday to look for a house to rent and an elementary school for my daughter. I was wondering if anyone has good ideas on the best way to seek out rental homes? Any help would be appreciated! :oops:

Shasta - I know some places are posted in the Middlesboro Daily News online (http://www.middlesborodailynews.com/); you may wanna check there?

Oh, and as for the scrubs, are we required to purchase the school ones? Just curious.

Can't wait to see you all!
Deziree

No, this year we do not have to purchase the dcom scrubs -next year they will have too -you can get them if you like though, they are $45 and are embroidered (and navy or gray). They're being carried at the uniform/t-shirt shop next to subway across from the street from the school.

Student housing:

134 Brooklyn St.
Harrogate, TN 37752

If I recall correctly that is. We should have our apartment #'s by now, I bet we get them monday.

lmao that stupid post got me all mad..can't stand ignorant people, so i responded back!

The only reason they say things like that is because they have never been to the area. Knoxville and the surrounding area is a beautiful area with lots of cultural activities, if that is what you want. Obviously even his own family knows what he doesn't!

Knoxville even has celebrities who have homes here for years. At one time Arnold Schwarzenegger even had a home here. If they don't like it then they can stay where they are!

The only reason they say things like that is because they have never been to the area. Knoxville and the surrounding area is a beautiful area with lots of cultural activities, if that is what you want. Obviously even his own family knows what he doesn't!

Knoxville even has celebrities who have homes here for years. At one time Arnold Schwarzenegger even had a home here. If they don't like it then they can stay where they are!

I agree 100 percent:thumbup:

i dont even understand why anyone would care about that post...if someone likes the urban lifestyle, they can stick to it. likewise, if we prefer the rural one, its what we got. if they want to complain about the number of posts on a class thread, then apparently all other problems in the world have been solved. lighten up people, its not a big deal.

Student housing:

134 Brooklyn St.
Harrogate, TN 37752

If I recall correctly that is. We should have our apartment #'s by now, I bet we get them monday.

I was told

134 Brooklyn St.
Cumberland Gap, TN 37724

I'm sure it's not a big deal and the post office would figure it out, but you may want it totally correct if you are shipping important stuff to the dorms.

Whats up people!!! Well I'll be on my way to Harrogate tomorrow morning. Leaving from San Antonio thru Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville nad Knoxville!!!! Should get there Tuesday!

So be ready for me, if you see a brand new black Escalade with 22 inch rims cruising into Harrogate.... well thats not me!!! haha...:laugh:

See ya'll soon!!!

Just a bit of info Im not sure if it was the Touro med school but, I am positive it was a Touro professor that recently got busted for selling grades.... I wouldnt be to proud of being connected with Touro in any form after hearing about that.... Just my 2 cents after hearing Tn and Dcom being talked about ....lol.....

Oh yeah don’t forget Middleborough is home to Lee Majors and Colonel Sanders was actually a member of the board at LMU... He’s even one of the donors that created the Lincoln Museum on campus.... hahahaha too funny lol....

I was told

134 Brooklyn St.
Cumberland Gap, TN 37724

I'm sure it's not a big deal and the post office would figure it out, but you may want it totally correct if you are shipping important stuff to the dorms.

i figured it was 37752 from the schools address (harrogate cant be THAT big), but if thats what you were told then people go with that. thanks for the heads up

Whats up people!!! Well I'll be on my way to Harrogate tomorrow morning. Leaving from San Antonio thru Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville nad Knoxville!!!! Should get there Tuesday!

So be ready for me, if you see a brand new black Escalade with 22 inch rims cruising into Harrogate.... well thats not me!!! haha...:laugh:

See ya'll soon!!!

Have a safe trip. I was just on that road last week it's a pretty easy drive.

Hi-I'm in Cumberland Gap and excited about meeting everyone! My drive here was only two days, I thought that was bad! I came from denver-anyway my phone #865-585-0758 if you would like to meet up. Take care. Aimee

I wouldnt be to proud of being connected with Touro in any form .....

Wow. So much vitriol. You may notice that the post everyone is up in arms about was made by one guy - one guy who is not even going to Touro (read his signature!).

Where's the Southern Hospitality?:smuggrin:

Wow. So much vitriol. You may notice that the post everyone is up in arms about was made by one guy - one guy who is not even going to Touro (read his signature!).

Where's the Southern Hospitality?:smuggrin:

Unfortunately this is a topic previously visited, so it rubs everyone the wrong way. :D