LMU-DCOM Class of 2011 continued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not heard anything about the scrubs having to have the dcom logo on them, but if you have navy scrubs, the shop will put the embroidery on them for $7.50. All the logo is is: LMU-DCOM

Pizza party was nice. Good to see many students and faculty as well.

Until Wednesday, we should all just chill, kick back and enjoy some :corny:

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone tell me if they've heard anything about the scrubs having to have the logo on them?

This year you do not have to have them, those coming in next year will. You can have them embroidered if you want and you can have your name on put on them (which Dr. Cross likes). Or you can fork out $45 and buy the ones DCOM ordered.

I am a bit confused by Dr. Leo's email regarding the orientation schedule. Are spouses/significant others supposed to attend the orientation right away at 8am, or are they to arrive at 1040 at the time of the first break?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a bit confused by Dr. Leo's email regarding the orientation schedule. Are spouses/significant others supposed to attend the orientation right away at 8am, or are they to arrive at 1040 at the time of the first break?

His intention is for the spouses/significant others to attend beginning at 8 am and then split from us for their own stuff at the first break.

See everyone tomorrow!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

This year you do not have to have them, those coming in next year will. You can have them embroidered if you want and you can have your name on put on them (which Dr. Cross likes). Or you can fork out $45 and buy the ones DCOM ordered.

Thanks...I ended up finding some comfortable scrubs at Lamberts.

Thanks...I ended up finding some comfortable scrubs at Lamberts.

Yeah, that is where I got mine also. There is also an "Uniform Outlet" on Parkside dr across from BMW (the light going to Turkey Creek). They weren't any cheaper though because Lamberts was 30% off.

I think I may have mine embroidered at the shop tomorrow -since Dr. Cross likes it.

i even heard DCOM hired someone from NYCOM that's considered to be really good..iam not sure who that is but i heard that from my NYCOM buddies.

I believe this is Dr. Howard Teitelbaum, and he is awesome! He was also at DMU in the past, and seems very well respected in the DO community. I interviewed with him, and spoke to him a bit after the interview, and he was really nice, helpful, down to earth. You guys are lucky to have him. Good luck on your first day of classes too! :luck::luck::luck:

does the orientation start in the new building or somewhere else tomorrow?

does the orientation start in the new building or somewhere else tomorrow?

New building. According to the e-mail from Dr. Leo today, there will be signs showing where to park, etc.

woo hooooo Im finally back online... still no phone at the apartments but at least I have internet.

OK, well I am off to bed. The alarm is set for 5:00 am. I have to leave enough time to drink my coffee and wake up before getting the kids dressed and out the door. I can't believe the first day is almost here!!!!:banana: :biglove: Well, I look forward to meeting y'all in the morning. SWEET DREAMS!!!! :sleep::D

I can't sleep, so I will be the one with the big bags under my eyes :laugh: Maybe I will be able to get 4 hrs of sleep or so, I never can sleep when I have something coming up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!! I was wondering if anyone has (or knows anyone who has) an extra room to rent out to me and my daughter (age 7) for August and September? We found a place, but it won't be ready for 2 months. We're really nice people :oops: and would be very very very appreciative to anyone who can help us out! It'll only be for 2 months (perhaps less), and I'll pay you for rent, utilities, etc.

Thanks and can't wait to meet you all tomorrow!
Deziree

Hey guys...well I'm on the 'top 5' on the alternate list and I was told that I may be offered a seat if people don't show up on the first day of orientation. I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard any word about people not showing up...or holding multiple acceptances...thanks

Hey guys...well I'm on the 'top 5' on the alternate list and I was told that I may be offered a seat if people don't show up on the first day of orientation. I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard any word about people not showing up...or holding multiple acceptances...thanks

I can't believe people would do that, but I guess you will find out today!

Good luck!

I can't believe people would do that, but I guess you will find out today!

Good luck!

I certainly hope people wouldn't either...but you never know...keeping fingers crossed

I guess everyone is too tired from the first day to post on SDN. LOL! Well, it was great to finally meet y'all. I think I am going to do my BBQ on Labor Day. What does everyone think about that? Well, off to bed. I have to get up at 5:00 am again tomorrow. NIGHT!!!!:sleep: :biglove:

Hi everyone!! I was wondering if anyone has (or knows anyone who has) an extra room to rent out to me and my daughter (age 7) for August and September? We found a place, but it won't be ready for 2 months. We're really nice people :oops: and would be very very very appreciative to anyone who can help us out! It'll only be for 2 months (perhaps less), and I'll pay you for rent, utilities, etc.

Thanks and can't wait to meet you all tomorrow!
Deziree

Hi, Deziree. When I went to mass this Sunday in Middlesboro, I met an older couple who have an apartment they want to rent. I could contact them for your perhaps?

I don't know about everyone else, but i will be studying pretty hard for our 1st exam on Labor Day as it is the next day, so i probably won't make it. sry.

I don't know about everyone else, but i will be studying pretty hard for our 1st exam on Labor Day as it is the next day, so i probably won't make it. sry.

Someone just pointed that out to me today, so no BBQ on Labor Day. I will be studying too.:scared::D

Any suggestions on a date or should I just wait until next year? How about a Thanksgiving BBQ? :p :lol:

I hope y'all are still reading SDN. No one is posting anymore. :oops: Anyway, this is important stuff, so pay attention.

1) The daycare at LMU is closing. Apparently, they were "not profitable" and so they are closing on September 28th. This is a tragedy for anyone who has or plans to have children and continue their education. There are many non-traditional students who may not have the opporunity to attend college due to the fact that they can't find or afford child care. The school should offer child care and even help funding it so that it can assist people in pursuing an education. It shouldn't be an issue of "profit". I don't know who I should speak to about this issue, but I really think that this is a terrible decision to make.

2) SCARY STUFF.... I went to get my dog out the other day and he couldn't walk. He was acting like his leg was broken. So, we took him to the vet. The vet said he had a low grade temp, swelling in multiple joints, and leukopenia. They ran some blood work and diagnosed him with a tick-borne illness. They weren't sure whether it was Lyme, ehrlichiosis, or another one, but within two days of starting doxycycline, he was back to normal. The scariest part for me is that he had to have contracted it in Tennessee because he had just been to the vet before we left New York and was fine. I can't get away from the ticks!!!!!!!! :scared: I had put on cutter flea and tick stuff on him too. It was supposed to be good for a while, but I guess it wasn't. So, check yourself and your animals and wear bug spray.

OK, I am done "preaching" at y'all now. Back to the fun stuff. Where is everyone? I know, you must all be studying anatomy.:p

Golgotha,

Thanks for the help! I ended up finding a place in Harrogate, so I won't be needing it. :)

-Deziree

anyone else having trouble with their stylus not working? I may be doing something wrong, but I can't get it to click on anything. It was working fine @ first, but now it will only drag the cursor around, no clicking. Any ideas?

anyone else having trouble with their stylus not working? I may be doing something wrong, but I can't get it to click on anything. It was working fine @ first, but now it will only drag the cursor around, no clicking. Any ideas?

you may have to hold it down harder, possibly use a harder surface? The IT people seemed really receptive to helping people out, so give them a ring!

Mine works, but a few people were having similar problems. I would tell Dr. Leo or IT and get it replaced.

I did get it replaced yesterday, but I can't seem to get ahold of anyone today. The new one is working just the same as the old one, which made me think it was me doing something wrong, but when I use a friends comp his works, so i don't think it is me. Any clues if IT is open today @ all?

Also, is the school website down for anyone else? I have been trying to get on there this morning and i can't seem to get it to pull up for me.

I hope y'all are still reading SDN. No one is posting anymore. :oops: Anyway, this is important stuff, so pay attention.

1) The daycare at LMU is closing. Apparently, they were "not profitable" and so they are closing on September 28th. This is a tragedy for anyone who has or plans to have children and continue their education. There are many non-traditional students who may not have the opporunity to attend college due to the fact that they can't find or afford child care. The school should offer child care and even help funding it so that it can assist people in pursuing an education. It shouldn't be an issue of "profit". I don't know who I should speak to about this issue, but I really think that this is a terrible decision to make.

2) SCARY STUFF.... I went to get my dog out the other day and he couldn't walk. He was acting like his leg was broken. So, we took him to the vet. The vet said he had a low grade temp, swelling in multiple joints, and leukopenia. They ran some blood work and diagnosed him with a tick-borne illness. They weren't sure whether it was Lyme, ehrlichiosis, or another one, but within two days of starting doxycycline, he was back to normal. The scariest part for me is that he had to have contracted it in Tennessee because he had just been to the vet before we left New York and was fine. I can't get away from the ticks!!!!!!!! :scared: I had put on cutter flea and tick stuff on him too. It was supposed to be good for a while, but I guess it wasn't. So, check yourself and your animals and wear bug spray.

OK, I am done "preaching" at y'all now. Back to the fun stuff. Where is everyone? I know, you must all be studying anatomy.:p

I agree, something should be done about the daycare. No, it doesn't affect me personally, but I know that it was/is a major selling point to student families and it just sucks that it all happened right after school starts. I would be willing to sign a petition, etc. for anyone who makes one and would definitely consider writing a letter to both Dr. Stowers and Dr. Moody.

Glad to hear your dog is doing better. That was scary I'm sure.

It was nice to meet the kidos yesterday. They are a good bunch and they really like watermelon :laugh:. I think they had a lot of fun last night with all the other kids out there.

I thought the BBQ last night was really nice. These social events are a great way to meet more people and profs, especially for my wife. But I really think Dr. D'Eramo should kick up the caffine regimen, she just does not have any energy at all!!! :smuggrin: Seriously, she is super awesome and I am so excited to have her as an advisor and a teacher. I really think our Anatomy and OMM depts are going to be stellar, esp. since Dr. D'Eramo and Dr. Thompson had Dr. Cross as a teacher. They know exactly what Dr. Cross is going to teach and the integration with OMM is going to be great.

Also, is the school website down for anyone else? I have been trying to get on there this morning and i can't seem to get it to pull up for me.

Yes, I am having similar problems. I wanted to check out the email to see if Jason gave us instructions on how to access the video of the lectures and I couldn't get on the school's website. I really need to see the lecture from Dr. Cross's lab lecture again. I missed some stuff that seemed important. It is just going to take a few days to get used to using the tablet. THOSE COMPUTERS ARE FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!

I agree, something should be done about the daycare. No, it doesn't affect me personally, but I know that it was/is a major selling point to student families and it just sucks that it all happened right after school starts. I would be willing to sign a petition, etc. for anyone who makes one and would definitely consider writing a letter to both Dr. Stowers and Dr. Moody.

Glad to hear your dog is doing better. That was scary I'm sure.

It was nice to meet the kidos yesterday. They are a good bunch and they really like watermelon :laugh:. I think they had a lot of fun last night with all the other kids out there.

I thought the BBQ last night was really nice. These social events are a great way to meet more people and profs, especially for my wife. But I really think Dr. D'Eramo should kick up the caffine regimen, she just does not have any energy at all!!! :smuggrin: Seriously, she is super awesome and I am so excited to have her as an advisor and a teacher. I really think our Anatomy and OMM depts are going to be stellar, esp. since Dr. D'Eramo and Dr. Thompson had Dr. Cross as a teacher. They know exactly what Dr. Cross is going to teach and the integration with OMM is going to be great.

Yes, I am having similar problems. I wanted to check out the email to see if Jason gave us instructions on how to access the video of the lectures and I couldn't get on the school's website. I really need to see the lecture from Dr. Cross's lab lecture again. I missed some stuff that seemed important. It is just going to take a few days to get used to using the tablet. THOSE COMPUTERS ARE FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!

I was thinking about starting a petition or something like that too. We should try and figure something out.

All of my kids LOVE fruit, especially bananas. They will eat bananas over candy anytime. The BBQ was great and my kids had fun, but boy, did they wear me out. :sleep:

The computers are really fabulous and I have to do the same thing you do. I missed half the lecture trying to figure out how to use the computer.:laugh:

The website is down for me too.

Oh, one last thing, is anyone interested in starting a study group?

Has anyone been able to find our anatomy lab lecture? I was in group B and we were the ones with the screwed up lecture so I just wanted to go over that one more time.

I don't want to butt in and sound all "preachy" on you, but studying hard the day before the test is really NOT the way to learn in medical school. You shouldn't be studying any more then than on any other day. In fact, you should take the extra time to review a few things that you already know, have a couple hours of fun, and that's about it. Don't do like in undergrad and plan to study like mad on the day before-- because of the amount of the material it may do you more harm than good.

Due to the shear volume of the material, it works so much better to space it all out every day and really learn it welleven if you are up until 2AM every night-- then lightly review it before the test and take some time to relax. It was a tough concept for me at first, but once I learned to do it that way things just went soooooo much easier. The stress is really the killer in med school because you think you have to be studying all the time-- but you don't. You will never learn everything...so make sure you take the time to relax and enjoy things now and then. Your stress level is inversely proportional to your final grade.

I don't want to butt in and sound all "preachy" on you, but studying hard the day before the test is really NOT the way to learn in medical school. You shouldn't be studying any more then than on any other day. In fact, you should take the extra time to review a few things that you already know, have a couple hours of fun, and that's about it. Don't do like in undergrad and plan to study like mad on the day before-- because of the amount of the material it may do you more harm than good.

Due to the shear volume of the material, it works so much better to space it all out every day and really learn it welleven if you are up until 2AM every night-- then lightly review it before the test and take some time to relax. It was a tough concept for me at first, but once I learned to do it that way things just went soooooo much easier. The stress is really the killer in med school because you think you have to be studying all the time-- but you don't. You will never learn everything...so make sure you take the time to relax and enjoy things now and then. Your stress level is inversely proportional to your final grade.

I appreciate your response...my point simply was the stress of our first medical school test will be to much for me to be @ a barbeque the day before. I'm sure there will still be things I don't feel good about and i will need that time to study. I don't think anyone who has made it here would be foolhearted enough to put off studying until right before the test and then try to cram, so that's something you shouldn't worry about, but I guess the jury will be out on that until after the exam. But yes I will still be studying hard the day before the test, I don't think I'll take a break from it until I feel that I know it well, and if that happens before Labor Day so be it, but I feel uncomfortable commiting myself to something on that day right now.

I appreciate your response...my point simply was the stress of our first medical school test will be to much for me to be @ a barbeque the day before. I'm sure there will still be things I don't feel good about and i will need that time to study. I don't think anyone who has made it here would be foolhearted enough to put off studying until right before the test and then try to cram, so that's something you shouldn't worry about, but I guess the jury will be out on that until after the exam. But yes I will still be studying hard the day before the test, I don't think I'll take a break from it until I feel that I know it well, and if that happens before Labor Day so be it, but I feel uncomfortable commiting myself to something on that day right now.

Besides that, since it is block testing we will be testing every subject. So even if you only spent a couple of hours on each class that adds up to 10 hrs. I think we will all be studying/reviewing like crazy that day.:oops:

day? try week. are our tests a sequence of subject tests or one large test that is broken down into various subjects? anybody know?

A couple of things:
BBQ. The BBQ was nice. We have a great class, and I've enjoyed all our social events so far. But the music...someone should have told the musician that he was there for background noise, not a concert. He was ok, but it wasn't the time or place.
-----
Tablet. These computers are the coolest gadgets ever. I am having so much fun with mine. The learning curve is pretty steep though. I found the full tutorial very useful. Not the short one, but the big one you have to download and install. It takes a while to get through the whole thing, but it gets you up and running with the basic skills you will need to use the tablet effectively.
They told us that we probably won't need a paper notebook anymore, and I can believe that. I put some time into OneNote today creating Notebooks for Anatomy and MFM. If anyone is interested in checking out the template I can put it up on SharePoint.
-----

I might be interested in a study group.

-----
Tablet. These computers are the coolest gadgets ever. I am having so much fun with mine. The learning curve is pretty steep though. I found the full tutorial very useful. Not the short one, but the big one you have to download and install. It takes a while to get through the whole thing, but it gets you up and running with the basic skills you will need to use the tablet effectively.
They told us that we probably won't need a paper notebook anymore, and I can believe that. I put some time into OneNote today creating Notebooks for Anatomy and MFM. If anyone is interested in checking out the template I can put it up on SharePoint.
-----

I love onenote and sharepoint. I would like to see several people save their notes to sharepoint so we can all access each others. I know at times I may miss something that someone else might have gotten. I know I already set my onenote notebooks to upload to my sharepoint's public docs so anyone in the DCOM network (once it's setup) can look at them. I also know that there is very little that I can see myself writting on old school PAPER! :thumbup::thumbup:

Besides that, since it is block testing we will be testing every subject. So even if you only spent a couple of hours on each class that adds up to 10 hrs. I think we will all be studying/reviewing like crazy that day.:oops:

A typical PBL test of mine covers on average 40 to 50 chapters from 5 to 10 different books. Learning material on the day before the test is out of the question. My point was just that you will eventually realize that the day before the test isn't a big deal-- no different from any other day. Planning to study really hard that day is like a waste of time. If you don't know it before then, then you'll never know it. The key to medical school is learning to pace yourself and spread out your learning over the long haul. Having a little fun the day before the test can do a lot for your emotional well being. Going into a test relaxed makes a lot of difference.

Sounds good to me.

I am going to me spending a majority of today learning more about the tablet, use the tutorial, and figure out OneNote, especially since I've never used it before. I'm not sure how much I'll use it anyway since I like to write directly on the powerpoint slides. But I will have to see what works best. It is just so weird not having pen and paper :smuggrin:

Does anyone know where we can find the lecture videos online?

I definitely want to start a study group, so anyone else who is interested, let's go for it. I am already freaked out about anatomy. :scared: There is so much to learn in that class. My advisor recommended that a study group be about 3-5 people. I was thinking it would be nice to do it on the weekend because I am wiped out by the time I get home with the kids. I was thinking maybe we could do it at my house after the kids are in bed or something. I don't know if anyone is interested in that or not. It is hard to do things like that because my husband has been working ~70 hours a week and is never home and young children are difficult to study around. Would anyone be interested in a weekend study group at my house? (I am halfway between Lafollette and Harrogate on 63 and about 25 minutes from the school.) :D

For those with children, and are now without child care istarting in Spt. my wife was thinking about taking care of a few kids during the day/ after school is over. If you are interested, PM me, or talk to me at school!

i'm interested in the study group, but i need to get settled in with this stuff before I start w/ that. one thing at a time for me. all of our OPP stuff is online, the MFM stuff for the next 2 classes is there, the anatomy stuff for the week is there (start learning all the nerves in the upper extremities, what they innervate, clinical considerations, etc...awesome), and a little of FMHC is there too. I think im going to shoot dr. leo an email asking if there is a way that we could get a package for each day created as one file to DL... IS might be able to help us out w/ that. it would be nice to have somethin along those lines so that I know that I didnt miss anything.

i'm interested in the study group, but i need to get settled in with this stuff before I start w/ that. one thing at a time for me. all of our OPP stuff is online, the MFM stuff for the next 2 classes is there, the anatomy stuff for the week is there (start learning all the nerves in the upper extremities, what they innervate, clinical considerations, etc...awesome), and a little of FMHC is there too. I think im going to shoot dr. leo an email asking if there is a way that we could get a package for each day created as one file to DL... IS might be able to help us out w/ that. it would be nice to have somethin along those lines so that I know that I didnt miss anything.

You can add a module to your blackboard that tells you when something is new or changed. Click on "Modify Content" and you should be able to figure it out.

SPeaking of Sharepoint, is anyone able to access their MySite? I haven't been able to all weekend...even after they got the network up and running.

I'm starting to get the hang of the tablet...but still not real great with it, especially when it comes to the computer recognizing my handwriting.

What does the button on the pen do? I can't get it to do anything, even after setting it to be the right-click button.

You can add a module to your blackboard that tells you when something is new or changed. Click on "Modify Content" and you should be able to figure it out.

thanks! that will make things juuust a bit easier. appreciate it!

SPeaking of Sharepoint, is anyone able to access their MySite? I haven't been able to all weekend...even after they got the network up and running.

I'm starting to get the hang of the tablet...but still not real great with it, especially when it comes to the computer recognizing my handwriting.

What does the button on the pen do? I can't get it to do anything, even after setting it to be the right-click button.

I put some files on SP last night. It works fine. If you use your entire email address for the logon, it should work, eg. '[email protected]' instead of 'first.last'

With the pen button, hold your pen off the screen. Press the button, tap your pen to the screen surface and bring it back up. Release the button. The context menu (right click menu) will appear on the screen and stay there until you choose an option or click elsewhere.
I prefer the press-and-hold method, which doesn't even use the button: Press your stylus to the screen. When the circle of red dots completes, a mouse icon appears. When you see the icon (with the right button highlighted) pull the tip of your pen off the screen. A context menu will appear, and persist until you make it go away.

For handwriting, I have had better results with cursive than with script.