LMU-DCOM Class of 2011 continued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and we care about another medical schools class thread again why?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess theres just no joking around on here is there lol.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question for those of you from this area. I am looking at renting a house in Middlesboro vs buying a house in Harrogate. I also have two kids who will be in grade school and middle school. Do any of you have an opinion on the schools in Harrogate vs schools in Middlesboro? Any opinions on living in Middlesboro vs Harrogate? The Middlesboro house is right by the tunnel so commute is not really an issue but renting is significantly cheaper. Thanks for you help you all. You have really been lifesavers.

I understand your feelings lankan. I have said that exact thing to everyone who has asked me if I'm excited. Are you living in the dorms or do you have a house/apt? Good luck on your move!

hey Shasta! im moving to the apts...and you? when you going down there?

hey guys does anybody know their apt numbers yet?

Shasta - I also have kids going into school here and I put mine over in Middlesboro. The elementary school in Harrogate left something to be desired, for me at least, and Middlesboro seems to have good scores and good facilities. The only thing is there are several to choose from. We put our daughter in West End Elementary b/c I've heard several negative things about the other elem school there. It seems alright, but if you have kids old enough to go to the private school on campus I would definitely consider that. Just a few thoughts. How old r ur kids?

Shasta - I also have kids going into school here and I put mine over in Middlesboro. The elementary school in Harrogate left something to be desired, for me at least, and Middlesboro seems to have good scores and good facilities. The only thing is there are several to choose from. We put our daughter in West End Elementary b/c I've heard several negative things about the other elem school there. It seems alright, but if you have kids old enough to go to the private school on campus I would definitely consider that. Just a few thoughts. How old r ur kids?

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure which school my rental is zoned for in Middlesboro. I'll see where I can get them into. My son is old enough for the private school on LMU but my daughter is only in 3rd grade. My son is 11 my daughter is 8. I also know there are a few private schools here in Middlesboro I'm going to check out. Now that I have a place it frees up some more time to look at schools. Thanks for the info :D

hey Shasta! im moving to the apts...and you? when you going down there?

I just got a small place in Middlesboro. I have kids so the apts don't really work for me. I'm actually here now I got into town last week. When are you getting to town? Where are you coming from?

if you email jody, he'll tell you your apt. number. they just got them assigned today. third floor for me. gotta love those stairs.

Well I'm making my own hat !!

Who wants in ?

Dark Blue w/ white stitching.

Front:
LMU
Debusk College of Medicine

Back:
Class of 2011

I'm getting one... price drops if I order 15.
Need to get 10 requests by tomorrow or I won't do it. It's a "flexiband" hat. FYI Txt is centered.

Sizes: s/m & Lg/XL

PS I'll post some pic's just as soon as I get my phone working....:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see if I can insert pic....... OK... hat.pdf

Oh .... Price is $23
Don't ask me to change anything... if you don't like order a one-of for $35-45.

Post / or send msg if you want one.View attachment hat.pdf

Well, I've been down in TN for a week now and today I finally got cable and internet. Nights have been really boring, but they'll be better now. I've been reading some of our textbooks and so far they seem pretty good.

I really am enjoying TN so far. It's very quiet and peaceful. I haven't seen an airplane yet, which is weird for me b/c we had so many flying around us in Chicago. My dad came down here over the weekend, so it was nice having some company and be able to show him around. I miss my wife, but she'll be down here on Friday for a little over a week, so that will be nice. Verizon sucks donkey balls by my house. I have to sit either in the middle of the couch (either side won't work), stand in front of the dishwasher, or sit in the office about 2 feet from the desk in order to have my phone work. If I move anywhere else, literally by a foot, I lose my signal. It's frustrating, but when Jen comes out, we will be switching to another provider, so that will help.

I have met a few of you in the lab and everyone is awesome. From what I have seen so far, our class is really going to be great. Dr. Cross and Dr. Casady are just awesome too. I can't believe we are so close to starting. WOW. The building looks like it is finished. They put the final bricks on the last peak, so I think there is just a small section by the main enterance that needs to be finished. I am really looking forward to seeing what the inside looks like too.

The drive from my house is only 30 minutes away, so that is not bad at all. It is a very peaceful drive being able to see the countryside, mountains and animals grazing. I think it will be a nice way to relax before heading home from school.

BTW, it sucks spending 5 hours washing, detailing, and waxing your car to wake up to thunder and pouring rain :( Yes, I know, it's funny too :smuggrin:

Sorry for the rambling on....:oops:

Back when I visited the contractor said that the fourth floor odd side had the best view.

That's where I'll be. :D

i'll live...i dont really think i'll study in my room (too many distractions) so I can live w/o the view. would have been nice, but thats the way it is. does anyone have a pic of our lovely OPP uniform?

To any of you that are still looking for housing, I am still looking for a room mate for the house I am living in. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you all the info that most of the people on here have already heard.

Alright this is so cool, Dr.Wieting who will be teaching physical medicine and rehab got hired by DCOM. I am excited for him because i personally think he will be an awesome professor, i say this because we both met each other at the Michigan Airport.I was stranded in michigan for more than 8 hours due to flight delays and coincidentally he was waiting on the same flight as i was..FYI he teaches at MSU. I had no clue who he was until i started talking to one of my buddies on the phone about the DCOM interview i was going to do the next morning and i am not sure if Dr.Wieting overheard my conversation but he introduced himself and told me he was interviewing there as well for a teaching job rather hehe We both ended up getting on the same flight and reaching knoxville the midnight before my interview. Now my interview was a whole different story coz when i arrived at harrogate i only had 4 hours to rest and get ready for my interview.huh However, iam super excited that Dr.Weiting got hired and he will be an awesome addition to DCOM. I even met his wife they are a sweet couple..we should all be excited about the way DCOM's faculty is shaping up. On a side note, i even heard DCOM hired someone from NYCOM that's considered to be really good..iam not sure who that is but i heard that from my NYCOM buddies.

Hey if any of you who are here want to get together for dinner or lunch or something before class starts PM me or we can post something here. I know I'm just sitting around waiting for classes to start. It would be cool to get together since we're all rolling into town.

Alright this is so cool, Dr.Wieting who will be teaching physical medicine and rehab got hired by DCOM. I am excited for him because i personally think he will be an awesome professor, i say this because we both met each other at the Michigan Airport.I was stranded in michigan for more than 8 hours due to flight delays and coincidentally he was waiting on the same flight as i was..FYI he teaches at MSU. I had no clue who he was until i started talking to one of my buddies on the phone about the DCOM interview i was going to do the next morning and i am not sure if Dr.Wieting overheard my conversation but he introduced himself and told me he was interviewing there as well for a teaching job rather hehe We both ended up getting on the same flight and reaching knoxville the midnight before my interview. Now my interview was a whole different story coz when i arrived at harrogate i only had 4 hours to rest and get ready for my interview.huh However, iam super excited that Dr.Weiting got hired and he will be an awesome addition to DCOM. I even met his wife they are a sweet couple..we should all be excited about the way DCOM's faculty is shaping up. On a side note, i even heard DCOM hired someone from NYCOM that's considered to be really good..iam not sure who that is but i heard that from my NYCOM buddies.

The last time I was scanning the faculty list this guy caught my eye.

Personally, I like the fact that a PM&R guy will be on staff since it sounds like a pretty interesting specialty.

Hey if any of you who are here want to get together for dinner or lunch or something before class starts PM me or we can post something here. I know I'm just sitting around waiting for classes to start. It would be cool to get together since we're all rolling into town.

When the student housing opens Friday I expect for there to be a considerable influx of people into Cumberland Gap. After that would probably be the best time to plan such things.

When the student housing opens Friday I expect for there to be a considerable influx of people into Cumberland Gap. After that would probably be the best time to plan such things.

I thought the check-in's on saturday?

I found a really fun website where you can make yourself a Simpsons character and make it your avatar!!! Check me out!!! It is a lot of fun and takes a few minutes. Y'all gotta try it. You don't have to sign-up for anything, just click on create avatar --> new character and follow the prompts. Then you can download it to your computer.

Here is the link

Here it is in a bigger picture :laugh:

Attachments

34.3 KB · Views: 142
Here it is in a bigger picture :laugh:

That is hillarious! Now my kids are doing it and laughing their heads off. :laugh:

So, we only a 6 days if you count today! Anybody excited? Freaking out? Dreaming about it? Bored? Sick of waiting? Throwing up? :laugh:

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say hi. I don't know about you guys but my summer has been a bit crazy, so I have not had time to get on here and chat.

Anyway, I am moving in tomorrow around 12ish, the first time slot. And I am soo excited!! Also, I am on the 3rd floor, which is going to be a pain because I have so much stuff to fit in a TINY apt.:eek:

See you guys soon!!:D:D

i feel like i am bringing too much stuff...but then i remember 'oh yeah, thats important, gotta have it'. i'll probably become very acquainted with the stairs on saturday afternoon.

What's the deal with cell phones?

A) Has anyone used T-Mobile in that area yet? That's my carrier, and I wonder what reception will be like.

B) I suppose if you move the TN, your cell would be in roaming the entire time. So would it be worthwhile to just add a second local line to your phone while retaining the original number? Land lines are nice, but I use my cell far more than my house phone.

What's the deal with cell phones?

A) Has anyone used T-Mobile in that area yet? That's my carrier, and I wonder what reception will be like.

B) I suppose if you move the TN, your cell would be in roaming the entire time. So would it be worthwhile to just add a second local line to your phone while retaining the original number? Land lines are nice, but I use my cell far more than my house phone.

Just change your plan to a national plan, I think that would prevent you from roaming. :)

Ive got Tmobile and it only works on the TN side of the gap.... it is all roaming though.... I guess nobodies phone works in the gap from what I hear...

Ive got Tmobile and it only works on the TN side of the gap.... it is all roaming though.... I guess nobodies phone works in the gap from what I hear...
I have tmobile and I did not have a problem with my phone working in October. I did have to manually switch the netwotk on my phone for some reason, but then it worked just fine.
Marcia

I have tmobile and I did not have a problem with my phone working in October. I did have to manually switch the netwotk on my phone for some reason, but then it worked just fine.
Marcia

Wow! 5 kids? I thought 4 was going to be rough in medical school!

Finally here!!! Still got lots of boxes to unpack, but we're moved in and you can see the floor in every room. I'm ready to get there on Wednesday and get this things kicked off. Does anyone know if and for how long the spouses are supposed to come to the orientation on Wednesday? Also, if you do and you have kids what are you doing with them as our babysitter decided not to come up. Another thing. I will be going down to the lab tomorrow morning to meet some of you and see I can be of any help, but if anyone would like to swing by my house you are welcome to. The address is 403 Lothbury Ave. in Middlesboro. later

Finally here!!! Still got lots of boxes to unpack, but we're moved in and you can see the floor in every room. I'm ready to get there on Wednesday and get this things kicked off. Does anyone know if and for how long the spouses are supposed to come to the orientation on Wednesday? Also, if you do and you have kids what are you doing with them as our babysitter decided not to come up. Another thing. I will be going down to the lab tomorrow morning to meet some of you and see I can be of any help, but if anyone would like to swing by my house you are welcome to. The address is 403 Lothbury Ave. in Middlesboro. later

I just e-mail Dr. Leo for an orientation schedule. I had hoped one would be e-mailed out by now. We have arranged a sitter, I'm not sure what you could do with them other than that.

Congrats on your arrival.

Alright guys, I'm about to pack my computer and head up there tomorrow. I'll be getting in Saturday night and moving in all day on Sunday. I won't have internet or TV until August 3, so look me up because I'm going to be bored out of mine once I get settled in.

I'm over at 143 Jefferson St., Harrogate, TN 37752.

I'll see you all on wednesday or sooner!

The orientation schedule is on the website in case you all want to look @ it.

I just got a small place in Middlesboro. I have kids so the apts don't really work for me. I'm actually here now I got into town last week. When are you getting to town? Where are you coming from?

I am actually coming in on sunday..im coming from Richmond ,VA...today is my last day at work and im really sad..but looking forward for a lot of new things...Middlesboro looks like a nice town...i spent the day at Holiday Inn express when i came to my interview..we drove around..it seems nice..how do you like it?

Yes, I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT now!!!! :eek::scared::laugh:

I am in Powell Valley's school district, but opted for Ellen Myers in Harrogate because it works out better for me. My five year old will be at the daycare at LMU on and off throughout August and he can take a bus from Ellen Myers to LMU. No such luck if he went to Powell Valley. I haven't seen the school yet, but I talked to them on the phone and looked at their website and I am sure it will be fine. Apparently, (at least in TN), you can send your child to any school you want, but you may have to provide the transportation. So, I get to get up REALLY early, get the kids dressed, pack them up, and drop them all off before class. I am so out of practice at doing that too since I have been home with them for so long now.

We had a stray donkey in our yard today. LMAO! You know you are in the country when someone's donkey wanders into your yard. :lol::D

Alright DocMom, I am going to out do you on this, "You know when you are in the country" stuff.

You know you are in the country when you see cows, horses, and CAMELS in the same farm.

Yes, you read that right, camels!!!! :eek: :smuggrin: I saw them today on 63 about 5-10 minutes from LaFollette. I was driving along, talking to Jennifer on the phone and then I just blurted, "Holy ****, camels!!!" Jen was a little confused, then I explained that I saw to two camels grazing with some cows and horses. I totally did not see that coming.

DocMom, you now have another animal you have to add to your collection!!! :smuggrin:

for those who are email defficient:

Pizza Party Sunday at 5:00 PM for all students and family members at the apartments! Hope to see you all there.

Maybe we should wer little SDN name tags so we can identify each other...

Oh, and nascardoc really does look like his simpsons character...weird:D

sounds like the pizza party will be a nice reward after a long day of unpacking for me. I hope it doesn't rain all day

Alright DocMom, I am going to out do you on this, "You know when you are in the country" stuff.

You know you are in the country when you see cows, horses, and CAMELS in the same farm.

Yes, you read that right, camels!!!! :eek: :smuggrin: I saw them today on 63 about 5-10 minutes from LaFollette. I was driving along, talking to Jennifer on the phone and then I just blurted, "Holy ****, camels!!!" Jen was a little confused, then I explained that I saw to two camels grazing with some cows and horses. I totally did not see that coming.

DocMom, you now have another animal you have to add to your collection!!! :smuggrin:

LOL! They have a little bit of everything down here...camels, buffalos, zebras, ostriches...:eek: I think I am going to stick with the traditional farm animals.:p:laugh:

Here is the tuition info for 2008-2009...kinda stinks they are going up already.

Yearly Fees 2008-09
Tuition (subject to yearly change): $31,500.00
Student Activities Fee: $100.00
Parking Fee: $30.00
Technology Fee: $500.00
Anatomy Software: $125.00

Of course we won't have to pay the Anatomy software fee again next year, but are we going to have to pay the Technology fee?

Here is the tuition info for 2008-2009...kinda stinks they are going up already.

Yearly Fees 2008-09
Tuition (subject to yearly change): $31,500.00
Student Activities Fee: $100.00
Parking Fee: $30.00
Technology Fee: $500.00
Anatomy Software: $125.00

Of course we won't have to pay the Anatomy software fee again next year, but are we going to have to pay the Technology fee?

I had noticed the bump in tuition the other day while perusing the website.

I just hope the new budget reflects the bump.

How was the pizza party? Lots of students?

I hope everyone got moved in this weekend and get unpacked and settled in. Only 2 days to go!!!!!!

My wife and I discovered a small (approx. 4 months) cat under our house today. We have a dog and two cats already so we really don't have the time or space for another. If anyone is interested in a VERY sweet and fearless feline, please e-mail me @ [email protected]. He is not afraid of dogs or people. I've attached a couple pictures.
Thanks,
Lawson

Attachments

• Wayne.gif
    Wayne.gif
    85.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Wayne-2.gif
    Wayne-2.gif
    88.5 KB · Views: 130
How was the pizza party? Lots of students?

I hope everyone got moved in this weekend and get unpacked and settled in. Only 2 days to go!!!!!!

Pizza was nice! There were a lot of students and several profs were there as well. It was quite a sight to see Dr. Stowers making goo-goo noises to my baby! I love DCOM a bunch! I can't wait for Wed! Just make sure ya'll aren't late!