Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question: I am applying here, would actually love to go to this school. I have not taken a psychology course, however. I know it is a required pre-req. I wouldn't mind taking it before matriculation, so should I list it as a future/planned class in my app?

Quick question: I am applying here, would actually love to go to this school. I have not taken a psychology course, however. I know it is a required pre-req. I wouldn't mind taking it before matriculation, so should I list it as a future/planned class in my app?

You can list it on your application only if you have registered for the class. AACOMAS will not verify classes unless they are on a transcript as pending.

Admissions

You can list it on your application only if you have registered for the class. AACOMAS will not verify classes unless they are on a transcript as pending.

Admissions

When do we need to take the psychology and sociology prerequisite courses by? I am not yet registered to take those classes, but I am very interest in MUCOM and would definitely take them before matriculating to MUCOM if accepted...is that ok? Or do I need to take these classes in order to have my application reviewed, invited for interview and accepted?

Hi MU-COM,

I was wondering if there are COMLEX 1/2 pass rates available for the school anywhere. It said on the bottom of the Class of 2018 Student Profile PDF that it could be found at http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/education but I can't seem to find it. Thank you!

Those statistics are not available yet. Our inaugural class will be taking COMLEX Level 1 this summer. When available, the info will be posted at the URL listed.

Thanks,
Admissions

When do we need to take the psychology and sociology prerequisite courses by? I am not yet registered to take those classes, but I am very interest in MUCOM and would definitely take them before matriculating to MUCOM if accepted...is that ok? Or do I need to take these classes in order to have my application reviewed, invited for interview and accepted?

Prerequisites must be completed by matriculation--not application or admission. The exact date is July 15 of the year you would start at MU-COM.

Thanks,
Admissions

Does anyone know of their out of state acceptance rate?

Hello, @MU COM , I was wondering if you could shed some light on a situation for me. My repeated bio II course is not being accepted by AACOMAS this cycle. The course has the same description and is the same level, but the prefix was changed by the university as they added classes to their bio department and so had to restructure. AACOMAS management advised me that this is a new change this year where they will not accept repeats unless they are the EXACT same prefix. Management advised this was due to restrictions given to them by AACOM and the DO schools. Do you know anything about the validity of that statement and if MU COM may consider taking the repeat if I were to contact admissions directly?

Hello, @MU COM , I was wondering if you could shed some light on a situation for me. My repeated bio II course is not being accepted by AACOMAS this cycle. The course has the same description and is the same level, but the prefix was changed by the university as they added classes to their bio department and so had to restructure. AACOMAS management advised me that this is a new change this year where they will not accept repeats unless they are the EXACT same prefix. Management advised this was due to restrictions given to them by AACOM and the DO schools. Do you know anything about the validity of that statement and if MU COM may consider taking the repeat if I were to contact admissions directly?

What do you mean by same prefix? Like it has to be BIO instead of BIOL?

What do you mean by same prefix? Like it has to be BIO instead of BIOL?

In my case, my BIO 111Z (4 credits, 3 credit lecture and 1credit writing intensive lab) course (biology II) changed to BIO 121 and BIO 123Z (3 credit lecture and 1 credit writing intensive lab).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think with AACOMAS, as long as the general title of the classes are the same, they let u fill it in

In my case, my BIO 111Z (4 credits, 3 credit lecture and 1credit writing intensive lab) course (biology II) changed to BIO 121 and BIO 123Z (3 credit lecture and 1 credit writing intensive lab).

I plan on doing both of those things, just trying to see if I can get some light shed on the situation over the weekend while I wait.

I think with AACOMAS, as long as the general title of the classes are the same, they let u fill it in

No, they have already flat out rejected the replacement stating there are "new rules this year".

Correct, but the prefix changed from bio 110 to bio 122. New rule this year: prefix has to match or the retake doesn't count

Even if your university sends an official letter saying the classes are identical

Even if your university sends an official letter saying the classes are identical

But then how can you ever take a class at a different university? That defeats the purpose of retaking a class.

Something is weird and not syncing right, I would deff call AACOMAS again. I haven't submitted yet, but I have a number of retakes of different numbers, and so far I haven't had any problems punching it in.

I'm at a loss also. All I can say is that this info came directly from management at AACOMAS and their director as well. This info came to me after 3 days and 10+ hours on the phone. You will be able to input it fine, the problem will arise during verification.

I'm at a loss also. All I can say is that this info came directly from management at AACOMAS and their director as well. This info came to me after 3 days and 10+ hours on the phone. You will be able to input it fine, the problem will arise during verification.

I have a feeling this will not stand and hopefully is just miscommunication. There are too many apps that have similar situations like us that have completely turned the beat around academically speaking.

And if not, we will rabble. We will rabble like no other.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know of their out of state acceptance rate?

46% of enrolled students are from outside of Indiana. We don't publish an out-of-state admit rate, but the overall admit rate for the Class of 2018 was 49.8%, which is calculated as accepted divided by interviewed.

Admissions

Please contact Bryan at [email protected] or message us here. He will need your AACOMAS ID to help.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
For the 2015—2016 admissions cycle, MU-COM has established the following dates:

June 15, 2015
AACOMAS mailing #1 available.

June 16, 2015
Download mailing #1.

June 17, 2015
Pre-screening begins.

June 19, 2015
Supplemental application invitations start.

July 15, 2015
AACOMAS application must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

August 15, 2015
All application materials must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

September 11, 2015

Interviews start.

September 17, 2015
Admissions Committee starts.

September 19, 2015
National Pre-SOMA Conference at MU-COM.

February 1, 2016
AACOMAS application deadline.

March 1, 2016
Supplemental application deadline at 5 PM EDT.

March 4, 2016
Processing ends. Materials received after 5 PM EDT will not be processed.

April 2, 2016
Interviews end.

May 5, 2016
Admissions Committee ends.

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

Reactions: 3 users
Please see the attachment for MU-COM's LOR (recommendations/evaluation) guidelines for 2015-2016.

Admissions

Attachments

• LOR Guidelines 2015_2016.pdf
    926.4 KB · Views: 289
Please be sure to add the following email addresses to your "safe sender" lists, as all correspondence is sent from one of these two email accounts:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Finally, if you are invited to complete a supplemental application, the MU-COM admissions portal saves a copy of every email we sent to you under the Check Status/Communications tab.

Thanks,
Admissions

Thank you for these dates. I understand that the earlier an applicant sends in his/hers secondary the better, but from what you guys have experienced in the past volume and processing-wise, what dates would be an early app, an "on time" app, and a late app in terms of months for sending in secondaries?

For the 2015—2016 admissions cycle, MU-COM has established the following dates:

June 15, 2015
AACOMAS mailing #1 available.

June 16, 2015
Download mailing #1.

June 17, 2015
Pre-screening begins.

June 19, 2015
Supplemental application invitations start.

July 15, 2015
AACOMAS application must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

August 15, 2015
All application materials must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

September 11, 2015

Interviews start.

September 17, 2015
Admissions Committee starts.

September 19, 2015
National Pre-SOMA Conference at MU-COM.

February 1, 2016
AACOMAS application deadline.

March 1, 2016
Supplemental application deadline at 5 PM EDT.

March 4, 2016
Processing ends. Materials received after 5 PM EDT will not be processed.

April 2, 2016
Interviews end.

May 5, 2016
Admissions Committee ends.

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

Thank you for these dates. I understand that the earlier an applicant sends in his/hers secondary the better, but from what you guys have experienced in the past volume and processing-wise, what dates would be an early app, an "on time" app, and a late app in terms of months for sending in secondaries?

Great question, but there is not one "right" answer because each year is different. Please apply early for maximum competitiveness.

Admissions

@MU COM

May I have a couple of questions regarding to your admissions requirements:
1. What is your MCAT policy for multiple MCAT tests? I took it twice. Which score you will take into consideration?
2. Is it ok to take a required premed coursework at community college?

Thanks in advance!

@MU COM ,

I was looking at your admission requirements and I noticed for letters of recommendation, you want one from a DO, one from a professor, and one from a premed advisor or committee. My school doesn't have a premed advisor/committee. What would be an acceptable substitute?

Thank you :)

@MU COM ,

I was looking at your admission requirements and I noticed for letters of recommendation, you want one from a DO, one from a professor, and one from a premed advisor or committee. My school doesn't have a premed advisor/committee. What would be an acceptable substitute?

I think you can substitute a committee letter with 2 letters from your science professor. Hope to get confirm from @MU COM soon

Hey guys! I received a "primary received" e-mail today. Good luck to everyone!

@MU COM

May I have a couple of questions regarding to your admissions requirements:
1. What is your MCAT policy for multiple MCAT tests? I took it twice. Which score you will take into consideration?
2. Is it ok to take a required premed coursework at community college?

Thanks in advance!

While we review all MCAT scores, we use the highest total score from a single test date. While the committee considers strength of academic records, prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited institution recognized by the U.S. DOE, so a community college would be acceptable.

Admissions

@MU COM ,

As stated on our website, you can submit a second letter from a hard science professor.

Admissions

I have a question regarding the College English and Sociology requirements. I graduated from a liberal arts college, and had taken a bunch of religion, econ, anthropology, and history classes. Can these classes be sufficient?

As explained on the MU-COM program page in the AACOMAS application, we do to allow substitutions. Due to the similar course content, we will consider anthropology for sociology on a case-by-case basis.

Admissions

FYI, pre-screening has been delayed until next week. We apologize for any inconvenience.

MU-COM

FYI, pre-screening has been delayed until next week. We apologize for any inconvenience.

MU-COM
MU-COM can you state if the schools are getting verified applications without official MCAT scores. Apparently aacomas is having issues with linking official MCAT scores to verified applicants, but aacomas is still sending out all verified applications regardless of if the offical MCAT scores are on the application.

MU-COM can you state if the schools are getting verified applications without official MCAT scores. Apparently aacomas is having issues with linking official MCAT scores to verified applicants, but aacomas is still sending out all verified applications regardless of if the offical MCAT scores are on the application.
Yes, there are some issues with the data but progress is being made at AACOMAS.
Admissions

While we review all MCAT scores, we use the highest total score from a single test date. While the committee considers strength of academic records, prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited institution recognized by the U.S. DOE, so a community college would be acceptable.

Admissions

Thanks MU COM!

May I have a follow-up question?

Would you accept some of the premed coursework taken in a foreign country? I have a U.S. master degree in organic chemistry. But I took some premed course during my undergraduate studies at my home country. I have WES evaluation for my foreign coursework and have sent it to AACOMAS already. Will you accept my foreign premed coursework, or do I have to take all premed courses in the U.S.?

Sorry for all questions but just want to get a clarification. Thanks so much. Take care.

@MU COM
I have a question about retaking the MCAT. I will be submitting my application (I am a re-applicant) with my 2014 MCAT score. I be retaking the MCAT in August. I know schools do not review applications until MCAT scores are submitted, but what if there is an existing score? Will my application be reviewed since I have an existing MCAT score, or will it be on hold until the new score is released in September? Thank you in advance for any insight.

Thanks MU COM!

May I have a follow-up question?

Would you accept some of the premed coursework taken in a foreign country? I have a U.S. master degree in organic chemistry. But I took some premed course during my undergraduate studies at my home country. I have WES evaluation for my foreign coursework and have sent it to AACOMAS already. Will you accept my foreign premed coursework, or do I have to take all premed courses in the U.S.?

Sorry for all questions but just want to get a clarification. Thanks so much. Take care.

Can't really answer that question until we see the WES evaluation.

Admissions

@MU COM
I have a question about retaking the MCAT. I will be submitting my application (I am a re-applicant) with my 2014 MCAT score. I be retaking the MCAT in August. I know schools do not review applications until MCAT scores are submitted, but what if there is an existing score? Will my application be reviewed since I have an existing MCAT score, or will it be on hold until the new score is released in September? Thank you in advance for any insight.

Not all COMs wait for an MCAT score.

At MU-COM, we wait for an MCAT score.
  • If the first score is above the minimum, we will process the application; the app could be placed on a pre-interview hold later for the new MCAT.
  • If the first score is not above the minimum, we will place the app on hold for the new score assuming the GPA is above the minimum.

Admissions

Did any of you guys get a message from MU-COM stating that they had placed your file on hold until they received MCAT scores? I sent mine to AACOMAS in early May but they still haven't uploaded my official MCAT scores for some reason.

Did any of you guys get a message from MU-COM stating that they had placed your file on hold until they received MCAT scores? I sent mine to AACOMAS in early May but they still haven't uploaded my official MCAT scores for some reason.

lol yes...