Market Leverage.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ACA however encourages "streamline" billing. AKA mergers.....go figure!!

If you read the ACA, this is what it encourages. So it's more "efficient" to have single streamline billing process. Somehow when they wrote the ACA this is what the authors imagine.

This same type of "streamline" billing is what many anesthesia AMCs also present when they are bidding for a contract between current group. AMCs will present, "well we are already affliated with 5 of your hospitals" "It would be more efficient for billing purposes if you let us have another hospital". "We can coordinate billing and care better".

Yet we've all know that when hospitals gain market share, they can enforce their will on insurers. Now many are buying up primary and specialty care physician practices as well. Instead of a $50-150 doctors visit. Hospitals are allowed to charge the BS "facility fee" for a simple office visit to pad their bottom line.

I think there's going to be a huge backlash in a few years with this proposal, I believe. The problem is that we are "shoeboxing" care. That is, everyone one is expected to get the same treatment no matter what their individual characteristics determine they should. The irony is that we expect individualized care, but huge systems tend to be overly protocol-driven and create a cookie-cutter approach.

I worked (temporarily) in a huge system. There did not seem to be much concern about individualized care. Now I'm back in a much smaller system that allows more time to treat individuals and pay attention to their specific problems. Eventually, I think the outcomes will prove to be better in such systems. The only downside is that the denominators are much smaller so the occasional bad outcome, that is diluted in a bigger system, will look statistically bigger than it is.

Also we have to change the entire concept that we can't know what the guy down the street is making for the same procedure. Until they open the books (so to speak), you will have a system where the big guys have negotiating power and the little guys get screwed. The deck is certainly stacked in the insurance/reimbursement guy's favor. So the tendency is for healthcare delivery systems to get bigger so they have more negotiating power. This is why big corporations and systems will prevail until this changes.

The original article is a bellwether of the future until the system changes. I predict an onslaught of anti-trust litigation over the next few years. And we all (as physicians) will inevitably get screwed as more and more of individual and independent decision making is taken away.