match results 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please keep this thread civil and professional. You are free to disagree, but to do so respectfully and in a professional manner

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course! Anyone who says anything which might even possibly be construed as negative regarding DOs, DO schools or DO training is "ignorant." That's SDN pre-osteo/osteo forum dogma.

What I said is not ignorant at all. I said that there are no AOA trained physicians at my hospital. That's a fact. Based on my specialty and my intended career path, I also said that I didn't expect that I would ever be working side by side with an AOA trained physician. That is my expectation. I could be wrong. My expectation may change. But, those possibilities notwithstanding, my expectation is not "ignorant."

You are reading animus into my statements which does not exist and cannot be reasonably inferred. Relax, Unbunch your panties. Go read the "Proud to be a DO" thread. Sounds like you need some help with your issues.

I
No offense, but there could be a plethora of reasons for not having a AOA trained DO at your hospital. It doesn't necessarily have to be because they're AOA trained, unless you yourself have gone to every department and gotten word from them directly that they don't recruit AOA trained Physicians.

aoa or acgme, i'm pretty sure both places teach you how to order images of the entire body

OH SNAP

Members don't see this ad :)
aoa or acgme, i'm pretty sure both places teach you how to order images of the entire body

OH SNAP
I once had an idea to make ER more efficient. Pt comes in through the door, gets a CT on the problem site (say "head"), nurse then takes blood for chem 7,CBC with diff, EKG and gives pt toradol. Then doc sees pt. Benefits:
-all drug seekers got toradol so they leave. Non-drug seekers are happy as a clam.
-most pts get blood and imaging anyway, so now doc has to see the pt once since all test results are in already.

efficient as in "cost efficient" without any regards to the "cost" part.

Though I will say that beyond the ekg and CT, the rest is pretty much par for the course for every single patient ive seen in the ER. Right down to the toradol on demand.

Surprised to see two grads matching at KCUMB ortho program as they mostly take their own and only took two this year.

Yea some weird politics happened with that program this year.

Also, it bears mentioning a couple of the ortho matches happened within TUN's new opti ortho residency program in-house. How cool is that?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some TRIs missing from that DMU list.

Well, one anyway that I know of. And an ENT.

Oops, no, the ENT is there.

Last edited:
Do you know if that list is complete? I could swear there was a match somewhere that wasn't listed.

Seems like the KCUMB list is incomplete. Some 2011 grads matched in the 2012 match. An AOA neurosurgery spot i think at Providence and i heard a rumor about an ACGME derm somewhere.

here is a thread for sharing the various match results. I have touroCOM-NY

I know people of the school are probably taking bets as to when Id post this. whoever bet "immediately" is the winner. selected locations of match site for the aoa and nrmp. we were not told what field they matched into, but by location alone I'm extremely excited to see these results.

AOA-accredited and Military Match Programs

Walter Reed Army Medical Center

PCOM/Abington

St Barnabas (Bronx)

PCOM/Geisinger

UMDNJ-SOM/South Jersey

NYCOM/Coney Island

University Hospital, Richmond, Ohio

UNECOM/Kent Hospital (Rhode Island)

St John Providence Health System (Warren, Michigan)

St John’s Episcopal Hospital

Womack Army Community Hospital (Fayetteville, NC)

UMDNJ/Lady of Lourdes

Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center (Lackland AFB)

NYCOM/Lutheran Medical Center

PCOM/Aria Health (Frankford)

LECOM/Allegheny

Tripler Army Medical Center, Hawaii

Garden City Hospital, Michigan

ACGME Programs

New York Hospital Center Queens

St Luke’s Roosevelt

UC Irvine

UPMC Pittsburgh

Baylor

UMDNJ-RW Johnson

Hershey Medical Center

Lenox Hill Hospital

Einstein/Beth Israel

Albert Einstein Medical Center (PA)

New York Medical College/Richmond University

New York Medical Center/Westchester

North-Shore-LIJ (Manhasset)

Maimonides

SUNY Downstate

Cooper University Hospital

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital

NYU School of Medicine

Johns Hopkins Hospital

Lincoln Medical Center

University of Maryland

Mt Sinai Hospital

Indiana University

New York/Presbyterian/Columbia and Cornell

Emory University School of Medicine

Bridgeport Hospital

Baystate Medical Center

St Barnabas (New Jersey)

Morristown Mountainside (New Jersey)

Brooklyn Hospital

Crozer-Chester Medical Center

Louisiana State University School of Medicine

aa

Well almost a year later and LECOM finally released the match list. Looks like it could be combined Erie/Bradenton but not SH. At least it's a more complete list compared to the year prior

Attachments

• LECOM Match List Class 2012.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 290
What's the usual reason a student doesn't match? I heard NSU sometimes has students that don't match and was curious as to what might be the reason.

can be for many reasons, applied to a speciality they did not have the scores/grades for, did not apply to enough programs, did not rank enough programs, poor interviewer, etc. also, sometimes qualified people just dont match, it sucks but happens every year.

can be for many reasons, applied to a speciality they did not have the scores/grades for, did not apply to enough programs, did not rank enough programs, poor interviewer, etc. also, sometimes qualified people just dont match, it sucks but happens every year.

I see. So in your opinion, would you consider the residency matching progress better or worse than the med school app process?

I know this is way too early for me but I can't help but be curious :oops:

that depends on what specialty you are applying for, if you are applying for FP it will be easier than applying to med school, if you are going for neurosurgery or something like ENT/Ophtho/Urology etc it might be just as hard maybe even harder.

that depends on what specialty you are applying for, if you are applying for FP it will be easier than applying to med school, if you are going for neurosurgery or something like ENT/Ophtho/Urology etc it might be just as hard maybe even harder.

How about EM? Lol.

EM is competitive as well, its all relative, if you wanna do any EM program and u take USMLE and do average you should be ok. if you want to go to NY Presb for EM forget it aint gonna happen from a DO school.... just focus on doing really well your first two year and crushing boards.

EM is competitive as well, its all relative, if you wanna do any EM program and u take USMLE and do average you should be ok. if you want to go to NY Presb for EM forget it aint gonna happen from a DO school.... just focus on doing really well your first two year and crushing boards.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the info!

This may be a stupid question but, is there some counseling at school about what your scores and what you will be able to match into? Also is there some guidance about what places have strong programs in X,Y or Z?

This may be a stupid question but, is there some counseling at school about what your scores and what you will be able to match into? Also is there some guidance about what places have strong programs in X,Y or Z?

It's the school's job to get you into a good residency, so faculty or members of the administration should be able to advise you. Particularly, anyone involved in the specialty you're looking at- they should be in touch with at least some of the program directors, and have an idea of what you're going to need and what's going to be realistic. I know at Western between third and fourth year we each had an individual career counseling session, which was at least mildly helpful.

As for resources about strong programs, you're probably better off asking in the residency forums. I don't really know much about the relative strength of various programs, but as for myself, I don't think it's important. You're going to get a job no matter what residency you graduate from- just apply to programs you like (based on geography or your audition rotation or whatever) and go from there.

It's the school's job to get you into a good residency, so faculty or members of the administration should be able to advise you. Particularly, anyone involved in the specialty you're looking at- they should be in touch with at least some of the program directors, and have an idea of what you're going to need and what's going to be realistic.

Yea one would think it would be the school's job to do that but not all schools do. Thankfully, SDN exists. I learned a lot on here and passed along a lot of the information to classmates. Also, some advisors have outdated information which makes this site that much more helpful

It's the school's job to get you into a good residency, so faculty or members of the administration should be able to advise you. Particularly, anyone involved in the specialty you're looking at- they should be in touch with at least some of the program directors, and have an idea of what you're going to need and what's going to be realistic.

I don't mean to be condescending here, but I respectfully disagree with you

It is NOT your school's job to get you into a good residency. Nothing that your school does is going to be a difference maker in landing you a residency spot. It is YOUR responsibility to be the best applicant you can, sell yourself, and do everything in your power to get the position that you want. Your school does not write your letters of recommendation, your school did not take your tests for you 1st/2nd year, and your school did not take your board exams..that and everything else that goes on your ERAS application is all you. DO NOT rely on your school to get you a residency position - you will be kicking yourself later on down the line because everyone else went out there and fought for what they wanted. Even though most programs want their students to succeed, they are out of touch with what it's really like out there..and I have not met many advisors that are in touch with program directors..that is YOUR job! Email or pick up the phone, put yourself on their radar!

Grab life by the horns and go get the residency of your dreams. The only thing stopping you is yourself, NOT your school. They merely provide you with a $200,000 piece of paper after 4 years of hard work.

It is NOT your school's job to get you into a good residency. Nothing that your school does is going to be a difference maker in landing you a residency spot. It is YOUR responsibility to be the best applicant you can, sell yourself, and do everything in your power to get the position that you want. Your school does not write your letters of recommendation, your school did not take your tests for you 1st/2nd year, and your school did not take your board exams..that and everything else that goes on your ERAS application is all you. DO NOT rely on your school to get you a residency position - you will be kicking yourself later on down the line because everyone else went out there and fought for what they wanted. Even though most programs want their students to succeed, they are out of touch with what it's really like out there..and I have not met many advisors that are in touch with program directors..that is YOUR job! Email or pick up the phone, put yourself on their radar!

Grab life by the horns and go get the residency of your dreams. The only thing stopping you is yourself, NOT your school. They merely provide you with a $200,000 piece of paper after 4 years of hard work.

How efficiently a school can deliver material --> How much of a base you have come board studying time --> Effect your board score to some degree

How efficiently your school prepares you for rotations + Quality of core rotations at your school --> How well you look come time for sub-Is etc

So yes your school has an effect to some degree
I agree that most of it is up to the individual, but say your school has no effect is questionable

Yea one would think it would be the school's job to do that but not all schools do. Thankfully, SDN exists. I learned a lot on here and passed along a lot of the information to classmates. Also, some advisors have outdated information which makes this site that much more helpful

Sorry... was by no means implying that the school's going to do all the work for you. You work your ass off to get into med school, during med school, during residency and after. And no, they're not going to give you all the info you need.

I had a conversation with one of our admins once, and she frankly told me that the goal of the school was to help students do well on boards and get into residency. They give us a foundation, but the bulk of figuring out how exactly you will be practicing medicine for the next four decades will happen in residency.

Essentially, the school wants to show that it gets students into good residencies. If they're even remotely trying to do that, they should have some career counseling resources and mentorship available to you. They will be less than perfect, and yes, SDN and individual attendings and current residents will be there to plug the gaps with more personalized information. But I guess my point is that it's in the school's best interest to be on your side in this process. =)

Sorry... was by no means implying that the school's going to do all the work for you. You work your ass off to get into med school, during med school, during residency and after. And no, they're not going to give you all the info you need.

I had a conversation with one of our admins once, and she frankly told me that the goal of the school was to help students do well on boards and get into residency. They give us a foundation, but the bulk of figuring out how exactly you will be practicing medicine for the next four decades will happen in residency.

Essentially, the school wants to show that it gets students into good residencies. If they're even remotely trying to do that, they should have some career counseling resources and mentorship available to you. They will be less than perfect, and yes, SDN and individual attendings and current residents will be there to plug the gaps with more personalized information. But I guess my point is that it's in the school's best interest to be on your side in this process. =)

:thumbup:

How efficiently a school can deliver material --> How much of a base you have come board studying time --> Effect your board score to some degree

How efficiently your school prepares you for rotations + Quality of core rotations at your school --> How well you look come time for sub-Is etc

So yes your school has an effect to some degree
I agree that most of it is up to the individual, but say your school has no effect is questionable

I didn't say your school has no effect.

I don't really agree. Of course doing all the 'core duties' of applying to residency is your responsibility, but some schools (and particularly MD schools) do a far superior job of advising applicants on where to apply, guiding them through the process, hooking interested students up with specialty mentors, etc. You have this attitude mostly because you (like me) went through the process on the DO side - a place in which advising is often nonexistent and you generally have to figure everything out yourself, with plenty of guesswork along the way. But as DOs, our schools really should be doing a lot more for us than they are - that's what the MDs get, after all.

Also, if you attend an institution in which department chairs and/or program directors in your specialty are well-connected and helpful to students in terms of making phone calls, writing letters etc, this can be very helpful to your cause. You can sometimes make up for this by 'grabbing life by the horns' as you suggested and meeting influential people on aways who can do this for you, but that's just so much additional legwork that you might not have had to do otherwise.

Last edited:
I don't really agree. Of course doing all the 'core duties' of applying to residency is your responsibility, but some schools (and particularly MD schools) do a far superior job of advising applicants on where to apply, guiding them through the process, hooking interested students up with specialty mentors, etc. You have this attitude mostly because you (like me) went through the process on the DO side - a place in which advising is often nonexistent and you generally have to figure everything out yourself, with plenty of guesswork along the way. But as DOs, our schools really should be doing a lot more for us than they are - that's what the MDs get, after all.

Also, if you attend an institution in which department chairs and/or program directors in your specialty are well-connected and helpful to students in terms of making phone calls, writing letters etc, this can be very helpful to your cause. You can sometimes make up for this by 'grabbing life by the horns' as you suggested and meeting influential people on aways who can do this for you, but that's just so much additional legwork that you might not have had to do otherwise.

Scrolled through this thread, but didn't find WVSOM match list. Did I miss it? Does anyone have access to it?

Thanks

Yes, our schools should do a better job but they don't. As a DO student it's your responsibility to get work done and (unfortunately) we can't depend on our administrators, advisors or faculty very often because the support system can be very weak - even at an established school. I'm just looking at it from a realistic point of view.

DO's eat their young - an older book, but a thought provoking concept that still rings true in a lot of ways. Check your library's holdings.

As someone who is planning to apply this upcoming cycle, how should we view these match lists when we are populating a list of schools to apply to?

I have no limitations on where I live, although I would prefer the North East. Do we look at these lists and keep them in mind, or do they not lend much weight to a decision on what school to attend, given you have the luxury of being able to choose between schools.

As someone who is planning to apply this upcoming cycle, how should we view these match lists when we are populating a list of schools to apply to?

I have no limitations on where I live, although I would prefer the North East. Do we look at these lists and keep them in mind, or do they not lend much weight to a decision on what school to attend, given you have the luxury of being able to choose between schools.

The mantra on SDN for match lists is take it with a grain of salt. Just because someone matched at Best Medical School or Mans Greatest Hospital doesn't mean you will. On the flip side, just because someone matched in BFE America doesn't mean it was their last choice. Everyone wants to match at a certain place and it's up to each of us to decide the factors that go into it. Heck at my school, we matched 10 into ortho last year. Does that mean we are the best ortho DO school? Doubtful. Just means 10 people worked really hard to get those spots.

If I was in your shoes, my response to what I perceive as good matches would be "that's pretty cool" and leave it at that. Matching at X hospital in Y specialty will be more about your board scores/grades, persistence and hard work than which school you attend.

Last edited:
The mantra on SDN for match lists is take it with a grain of salt. Just because someone matched at Best Medical School or Mans Greatest Hospital doesn't mean you will. On the flip side, just because someone matched in BFE America doesn't mean it was their last choice. Everyone wants to match at a certain place and it's up to each of us to decide the factors that go into it. Heck at my school, we matched 10 into ortho last year. Does that mean we are the best ortho DO school? Doubtful. Just means 10 people worked really hard to get those spots.

If I was in your shoes, my response to what I perceive as good matches would be "that's pretty cool" and leave it at that. Matching at X hospital in Y specialty will be more about your board scores/grades, persistence and hard work than which school you attend.

Where did you get this? How can I look this up for other schools?

People post them on SDN, some of the specific school websites will post them as well. I would do a search personally.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk