Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I recently had $450 deposited into my student account as "Osteo Med Deposit". Is that all that we get back from the $1050 acceptance deposit we paid? I know the student info book says the deposit is "partially applied" to tuition, but I was hoping it would be a larger chunk than that...

I did too, I was also hoping for more back or just have the deposit pay for our dues :( ... I don't think we are getting more back though.

Members don't see this ad.

any canadians potentially withdrawing in the next two weeks?! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard of anything about getting accepted to next years class??

2 more weeks left, lets hope we all get the call we've been waiting for!!

Hey guys, I recently had $450 deposited into my student account as "Osteo Med Deposit". Is that all that we get back from the $1050 acceptance deposit we paid? I know the student info book says the deposit is "partially applied" to tuition, but I was hoping it would be a larger chunk than that...
I thought that amount was for the orientation supplies and the deposit went toward tuition

I thought that amount was for the orientation supplies and the deposit went toward tuition
Hmm.. Don't think that's it -- I paid for orientation supplies with a credit card (on top of the deposit)... and I doubt that purchase is refunded to my student account? I just didn't know where else that credit was coming from, so I assumed the "Osteo Med Deposit" = the deposit we paid (and/or the portion we paid that's applied to tuition).

Great news! I had emailed admissions to find out more information about the deferred acceptances that were briefly mentioned during the visit day in April. Katie replied, "The Admissions Committee will be meeting towards the end of this week to determine whether or not they would like to offer guaranteed admission to a few of the top applicants remaining on the waitlist. We will notify students on Friday, if selected." I hope that this gives others something to look forward to. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Does that mean they are no longer expecting a movement on the wait list?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Does that mean they are no longer expecting a movement on the wait list?

I'm guessing that June 6th is the last day. Crossing my fingers for you. :)

Hmm.. Don't think that's it -- I paid for orientation supplies with a credit card (on top of the deposit)... and I doubt that purchase is refunded to my student account? I just didn't know where else that credit was coming from, so I assumed the "Osteo Med Deposit" = the deposit we paid (and/or the portion we paid that's applied to tuition).
Well that's strange, how did they come up with that portion for a refund? I'm sure we will find out at orientation

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably 1.5 more weeks of the waitlist. By Friday, we'll know where we stand better.

To those accepted, I can't believe you guys will be starting school in two weeks. That is amazing!

Reactions: 5 users
I have been accepted and already paid my seat deposit + orientation fees, however I am now considering deferring for a year. Has anybody been allowed to defer? If so what was your reason? Thanks

People have been allowed to defer at MSUCOM in the past. You e-mail them and then it gets approved or not. I am technically deferred at LMU after I gave my reasons why I could not attend this year which revolve around family. Good luck on your decision. :)

Tomorrow, they are supposed to let people know if they decided to allow a few to have acceptances for next year. I hope the ones waiting here on SDN get some good news. Crossing my fingers for myself and my waitlist peeps.

Tomorrow, they are supposed to let people know if they decided to allow a few to have acceptances for next year. I hope the ones waiting here on SDN get some good news. Crossing my fingers for myself and my waitlist peeps.

Good luck!! I'll have my fingers crossed for all you and the rest of the SDNer still waiting for good news!!! Actually @johnamo is the best at crossing fingers for acceptances lol

I really hope you get good news tomorrow! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck!! I'll have my fingers crossed for all you and the rest of the SDNer still waiting for good news!!! Actually @johnamo is the best at crossing fingers for acceptances lol

I really hope you get good news tomorrow! :)

Haha! Cross your toes too. We need all the help we can get. :)

Do you guys know if there two types of wait lists? Priority and regular?

Everyone is given a number 1-10. I forgot if 1 was good or if 10 was good. It's based on a variety of things such as MCAT and GPA. :)

Good luck today everyone!!

Fingers and toes crossed

Reactions: 2 users
So no exciting news for anyone today? Maybe they decided against having deferred acceptances this year? I suppose there is still one week left for a couple to come off the WL. I have to admit that I'm a little relieved that we only have one more week left of wondering but also a little disappointed that the WL ends so early compared to other schools due to the school starting a couple months ahead of other schools.

So no exciting news for anyone today? Maybe they decided against having deferred acceptances this year? I suppose there is still one week left for a couple to come off the WL. I have to admit that I'm a little relieved that we only have one more week left of wondering but also a little disappointed that the WL ends so early compared to other schools due to the school starting a couple months ahead of other schools.

I've been camping by my phone all day and nothing here.... I'm disappointed because I have had nothing but rejections except for MSUCOM.

At the information session in April Dean Strampel made a point of ensuring we knew that the top 20 people left on the wait list would be offered an acceptance for the following year. I suppose it's possible that those 20 people are either not on these forums or haven't shared their news yet. It's also possible that MSUCOM may not have made any or all of those offers today. I will keep thinking positively until I have proof one way or the other!

Last edited:
At the information session in April Dean Strampel made a point of ensuring we knew that the top 20 people left on the wait list would be offered an acceptance for the following year. I suppose it's possible that those 20 people are either not on these forums or haven't shared their news yet. It's also possible that MSUCOM may not have made any or all of those offers today. I will keep thinking positively until I have proof one way or the other!

I like your optimism. :)

They sent out e-mails on Thursday about deferred acceptances :( those who were placed high enough on the wait-list received an e-mail guaranteeing them a spot for next year's class and to this year's class if spots open up in time

They sent out e-mails on Thursday about deferred acceptances :( those who were placed high enough on the wait-list received an e-mail guaranteeing them a spot for next year's class and to this year's class if spots open up in time

Ouch. Game over I guess. Sorry guys.

Dam that's the second school that didn't take me off the wait list. One more to go.

Last edited:

Mind if I ask where you get your details? This was my last hope so I'm trying to not let of go of hope.

The end of these threads are always so sad. I sort of get the vibe that it is like one of those "Left Behind" books (which I've heard about but never have read). One day people are all hanging out together in a community and then the next day a bunch of them are whisked up to heaven, or the afterlife, or aliens or maybe just disintegrated...who knows? The thing that stories like that focus upon are not the people who are gone, but the people who remain. From our perspective it's us. We're still here, and though our confidence has been struck a blow, and our dreams may seem more faded and distant than they were, we are going to survive. We are going to get up, dust ourselves off, and try again. For all of those who made it to the wait list: remember that the admission committee saw something about you...about your potential. By this point we all probably have a good idea about what our strengths and weaknesses are in terms of being a successful applicant, so it's time to move forward with the contingency plans that, no doubt, most of us have. Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not waiting another year I'm gonna go to carrib if my last DO wait list doesn't work out. I work hard and I know I'll match residency it will be a much harder path thou. But I'm NOT waiting anymore.

I'm not waiting another year I'm gonna go to carrib if my last DO wait list doesn't work out. I work hard and I know I'll match residency it will be a much harder path thou. But I'm NOT waiting anymore.

if your app was good enough to be waitlisted at one of the hardest DO schools to get into, you do not need to go to the caribbean. you are gambling your entire future if you tread that path. What were your numbers/EC's and where did you apply?

Mind if I ask where you get your details? This was my last hope so I'm trying to not let of go of hope.
A friend of a friend got the e-mail:
"Though we're unsure whether we'll be able to offer you a seat in our 2014 entering class, we want you to know you were among a few students with a ranking high enough to guarantee your admission to the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2015. Congratulations! Here's how it works. After a review of your application, the Admissions Committee has assigned you to our waiting list. Admission for this year's class from this list may occur from now until June 6, 2014. If you're not offered a spot in the current class, you are guaranteed a position for next year. You won't even have to reapply"

"Though we're unsure whether we'll be able to offer you a seat in our 2014 entering class, we want you to know you were among a few students with a ranking high enough to guarantee your admission to the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2015. Congratulations! Here's how it works. After a review of your application, the Admissions Committee has assigned you to our waiting list. Admission for this year's class from this list may occur from now until June 6, 2014. If you're not offered a spot in the current class, you are guaranteed a position for next year. You won't even have to reapply"
Thanks for the added details. Well I guess its time to update my aacomas. Hopefully next year will be better.

I wonder what a "few mean" like three...or the 20 they talked about at the visit day? Well, anyhow, congrats to your friend of a friend. :)

if your app was good enough to be waitlisted at one of the hardest DO schools to get into, you do not need to go to the caribbean. you are gambling your entire future if you tread that path. What were your numbers/EC's and where did you apply?

I'm not gambling I have one more top DO school holding me on the wait list. I'll study my ass off and see where that takes me if I'm gonna go to Carib. I was out of school for two years now. The longer I wait the harder it will be. And I'm not going to waste my money on masters.

I can understand where she is coming from. Who wants to waste all this time and money to do this year after year?

Last edited:
I can understand where she is coming from. What will really be different with us next year? For instance, my GPA will still be high but they will still think that it is inflated because of my nursing backround. Who cares about another 2000 clinical hours when you already have thousands and who cares about another couple hundred volunteer hours when you already have thousands. I could raise my MCAT to a 30 but really why should I when other people get in with 25s and 26s? It is so much time wasted year after year that we are loosing either way.

Exactly I have thousands of volunteer hours did research for two years in top universities. Have a great GPA but the only thing that killed me was the verbal even thou I got above 10 on bio and physical. I looked at the match lists from the schools that placed me on wait list to the carrib and they all have relatively equal matches into top residency positions. My fiance just finished DO and scored a surgical reaidncy in NY. She told me that due to MD DO residency merger MDs can now apply to DO raidency which makes it even more competitive for DOs. As a carrib student I will have the option of applying to both MD positions and now DO. So I honestly don't care I'll get to where I wanna be one way or another. But still have high hopes for the last DO school

Exactly I have thousands of volunteer hours did research for two years in top universities. Have a great GPA but the only thing that killed me was the verbal even thou I got above 10 on bio and physical. I looked at the match lists from the schools that placed me on wait list to the carrib and they all have relatively equal matches into top residency positions. My fiance just finished DO and scored a surgical reaidncy in NY. She told me that due to MD DO residency merger MDs can now apply to DO raidency which makes it even more competitive for DOs. As a carrib student I will have the option of applying to both MD positions and now DO. So I honestly don't care I'll get to where I wanna be one way or another. But still have high hopes for the last DO school

I'm crossing my fingers for you that you can get into that DO school. :)

There are dozens of threads that discuss the perils of the Carib path, and the grim outlook for these students. And MD's may not be able to enter DO residencies until as late as 2021. Please thoroughly research the high attrition, poor match rates, and little support Caribbean students receive from their schools before going.

as for not getting in as of yet, I am 99% sure you simply did not apply broadly enough.

There are dozens of threads that discuss the perils of the Carib path, and the grim outlook for these students. And MD's may not be able to enter DO residencies until as late as 2021. Please thoroughly research the high attrition, poor match rates, and little support Caribbean students receive from their schools before going.

Noted. I look at statistics. I compare one matchlist to another. DO students basically all match where as carrib has 1/3 that fail out and some from the 2/3 that remain don't match. People that spend time studying and not fooling around always get somewhere. I always lived by that philosophy. But you're right this is no place for this conversation. People get very upset when mentioning carrib on sdn, even when they have no first hand experience on the matter.

looks like are about to take the waitlist page down aswell it gives an error when you try to click on the tab for waitlist on the msucom login portal.

For those who were accepted this year, did you include why you wanted to become an osteopathic physician in your personal statement?

For those who were accepted this year, did you include why you wanted to become an osteopathic physician in your personal statement?
I think not so much in my PS, but certainly a whole lot in the secondary question "Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you."