Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Drinking a beer in east Lansing as we speak! I'm so excited :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to all of you interviewing tomorrow! Be yourselves and be confident. You will be fine!

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the interview -- decompressing at the airport now. The interview day was actually really fun! I had a great time, it was super low stress, and I felt like they really just wanted us to be ourselves and shine :)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all those who interviewed today, I'm sure you'll all be hearing good news shortly :)

On another note, anybody get/hear of any IIs from MSUCOM this week?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had a great day today! It went by so fast. Everyone we met was SO nice and friendly. Hoping for good news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone getting their interview done today! :)

I had a question about the secondaries. For shadowing/clinical experiences, can we list research experiences ? and is it okay if we have already listed them in ACCOMAS application?

Reactions: 1 user
Could someone link me the secondary portal? My laptop got stolen two nights ago along with all of my med school app login infos(really what I care most about losing). Unfortunately due to the apple "Mail" app I was using none of my older emails appear on the actual email websites anymore because they get sent to there(I've been on the phone with them all day trying to recover them and apparently it won't work ugh).

Anyways id really appreciate it, thanks :)

Could someone link me the secondary portal? My laptop got stolen two nights ago along with all of my med school app login infos(really what I care most about losing). Unfortunately due to the apple "Mail" app I was using none of my older emails appear on the actual email websites anymore because they get sent to there(I've been on the phone with them all day trying to recover them and apparently it won't work ugh).

Anyways id really appreciate it, thanks :)

https://admissions.com.msu.edu/

Interview day was really chill, met a lot of cool people, fingers crossed we all get accepted :)

Similar post-interview thoughts -- everyone was extremely nice and welcoming! The interview day goes by so quickly, you barely have time to stress about it. One thing that really impressed me was that the current students came in during their break to talk to us and give us a tour! My group's guides had so many positive things to say about MSUCOM and the community. I want to attend here even more now, which I didn't think was possible! Hoping for some good news soon :love:

Hey guys I'm new here...question I had my interview on Friday. I know they told us it could take about a month to hear back, but in years past did it take that long? Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Sparty123... I found this from last year's thread...hopefully it's along this timeframe. Best of luck!

Hey guys I'm new here...question I had my interview on Friday. I know they told us it could take about a month to hear back, but in years past did it take that long? Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!!

They said within a month they would notify us when we interviewed on 9/11.

On day of interview for the stations are you offered paper?

I was the in the first interview group last year and I think I heard back in like 2 weeks

I was the in the first interview group last year and I think I heard back in like 2 weeks
Not to be a stalker but I am pretty sure you heard back 6 days later. Some people heard back 4 days after. Not that I am obsessive, or anything :D

Reactions: 6 users
^Ok...well I stand corrected..... that sounds correct

Not to be a stalker but I am pretty sure you heard back 6 days later. Some people heard back 4 days after. Not that I am obsessive, or anything :D
confession: I stalked the last year thread too lol!

praying for that insanely quick phone call

I just have literally memorized the 15-16 thread haha

Later in the cycle though I think it was taking them closer to a month from what I remember but I'm sure you can verify since it seems like you memorized the whole thread from last cycle

3.21 cGPA, 3.56sGPA, 511 MCAT, anyone else with similar stats recieve an II?

Yes I'm in state. I'd like to think the rest of my app is good lol Thank you. I guess all there is to do now is wait and hope for the best.

Does MSUCOM usually they make their calls in the evenings, or can it be at any time of the day?

I had a glimmer of hope that something might happen today, since it did on the Tuesday after the first interview last year :(

I had a glimmer of hope that something might happen today, since it did on the Tuesday after the first interview last year :(
haha oops, MSUCOMs been so quick with everything up to this point, hopefully acceptance calls will be the same?

Regarding LOR assignment on secondary app: what if we have sent more than 3 letters of LOR to MSU-COM? There are only 3 spots to fill out recommenders :(

Regarding LOR assignment on secondary app: what if we have sent more than 3 letters of LOR to MSU-COM? There are only 3 spots to fill out recommenders :(

I believe on their website (and what I was told by an admissions counselor) is that they focus on those three letters most intently but they don't Discourage additional letters. The nice thing is they do not have any specific requirement for letters although a letter from a science faculty is strongly recommended (as is a D.O. letter). It's a safe bet to include a D.O. letter and science faculty letter among the three, substituting an M.D. letter if you do not have a D.O. Personally, I submitted a D.O. letter, letter from my genetics professor and letter from a longtime family friend nurse anesthetist.

EDIT: They begin reviewing your file once any three LORs are received. Based off this, it may be advisable to upload to AACOMAS the three letters you wish them review and submit additional after they contact you saying they've received your completed secondary.

Last edited:
Anyone else struggling with patience here haha! MSUCOM please call us soon!

Anyone else struggling with patience here haha! MSUCOM please call us soon!
I almost threw my phone at the wall because I got a call from an unknown number....it was someone offering me some student loan BS :mad:

My friend got an II today. I dont see anyone on here get one. Do they not come in waves?

II today!
Was told in the e-mail that I could choose between 9/20 and 9/29 by logging in but 9/20 was already filled and I have another interview already on 9/29 -_-

Just hopped on here since I was stalking this thread anyways. Had my interview on the 19th as well and also waiting to hear back

II today!
Was told in the e-mail that I could choose between 9/20 and 9/29 by logging in but 9/20 was already filled and I have another interview already on 9/29 -_-
Mind sharing when you were complete?

So since 9/20 is filled and I can't make 9/29, the next day available is 10/18. You think that additional 2.5 weeks makes a big difference? SDN paranoia setting in about
Mind sharing when you were complete?

Complete on 8/11
Have to interview on 10/18 rather than 9/29 though because I had an interview on 9/29 already :/ Hope it doesn't hurt me interviewing a little later.

Has anyone with an II not received the "complete" automated email(but obviously was completed in portal). I've cleared up this question multiple times with admissions, just some neuroticism getting to me

Has anyone with an II not received the "complete" automated email(but obviously was completed in portal). I've cleared up this question multiple times with admissions, just some neuroticism getting to me

I have been thinking the same thing, although its probably nothing

I was just filling out the secondary and was wondering if you could add research experience under the clinical experience category and for high school/college experiences, would we have to re-write everything we wrote on AACOMAS again ?

I was just filling out the secondary and was wondering if you could add research experience under the clinical experience category and for high school/college experiences, would we have to re-write everything we wrote on AACOMAS again ?

I would list it if you worked with patients or physicians and got some sort of hands on patient care or shadowing out of it. If you were in a lab, I don't think it's really clinical though.
I think for high school/college experiences it says to list things not on your AACOMAS app. So for me that was just the things from high school since I haven't taken on any new activities since completing the app like 2 months ago.

So since 9/20 is filled and I can't make 9/29, the next day available is 10/18. You think that additional 2.5 weeks makes a big difference? SDN paranoia setting in about

Complete on 8/11
Have to interview on 10/18 rather than 9/29 though because I had an interview on 9/29 already :/ Hope it doesn't hurt me interviewing a little later.
While I do think earlier is arguably better, 10/18 is still pretty early in the season and should not practically make a difference. :)