Midwestern Class of 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Vdubs03, I am doing the same thing lol!! I can't believe our deposit isn't due until April!!

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you accepted, are any of you sure that you're going to MWU? Or are you waiting to hear from other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not 100% sure about anything yet, but MWU is definitely one of my top choices! I am keeping my options open though, my SO is applying to medical schools so we will have to see if there is anywhere we both can get accepted.. He's currently an alternate at MWU :(

For those of you accepted, are any of you sure that you're going to MWU? Or are you waiting to hear from other schools?
Also waiting to hear from other schools, specifically my IS, but very glad to know that I have one option :cat:

I guess I am a bit obsessed with this whole application process so I've been checking the Midwestern portal for no apparent reason. Well I just checked and saw that I have been invited for an interview, they hadn't even emailed me yet. I am going out October 14, I'm excited. Does any one that has already interviewed have any advice? Would you mind sharing some of the questions asked?

How can we check the portal? I sent them my VMCAS, GRE scores and everything before the due dates.
I submitted my VMCAS 8/28, got verified 9/14, got an email from Midwestern with a link to set up the portal on 9/15, and just saw that I had an invite tonight.

I submitted my VMCAS 8/28, got verified 9/14, got an email from Midwestern with a link to set up the portal on 9/15, and just saw that I had an invite tonight.

Oh I see, so you have you be verified before you can set up a portal. I was freaking out that I had missed something somewhere on their website. Thanks so much!

Oh I see, so you have you be verified before you can set up a portal. I was freaking out that I had missed something somewhere on their website. Thanks so much!
You're welcome. Sorry to scare you, you'll get your portal soon.

Don't worry I am not even verified yet and I submitted 2+ weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a portal account last week but haven't gotten any updates nor an interview invite :/ does that mean I'm waist listed? If so will they be sending out an email or snail mail?

I guess I am a bit obsessed with this whole application process so I've been checking the Midwestern portal for no apparent reason. Well I just checked and saw that I have been invited for an interview, they hadn't even emailed me yet. I am going out October 14, I'm excited. Does any one that has already interviewed have any advice? Would you mind sharing some of the questions asked?

Be excited! The interview process is very relaxed. The Dean and Associate Dean were there with us for a presentation in the morning, and then they sat with us while we were waiting to interview. The best advice I could give you is to just be yourself (cheesy, I know) and know your application! There will be 2 interviewers. They don't have any of your grades, all they see is your essays and experiences. Before your interview, go through your head and pick out one or two specific times that you can remember for every experience you listed on the VMCAS. That way, you know exactly what you can talk about if they bring up one of them. I did a mock interview before I went, and it really helped a lot with nerves. But there's not too much need to be nervous, because everyone is SUPER nice and the interview doesn't last long at all. I would say maybe 20 minutes or so... at least for me. After that, you go on a tour of the main campus and then lunch with the Dean and some current vet students. After lunch, they take you on a tour of the veterinary areas of the school and the teaching hospital.. we also went to the large animal "hospital" and holding areas. You will have a great day!

Be excited! The interview process is very relaxed. The Dean and Associate Dean were there with us for a presentation in the morning, and then they sat with us while we were waiting to interview. The best advice I could give you is to just be yourself (cheesy, I know) and know your application! There will be 2 interviewers. They don't have any of your grades, all they see is your essays and experiences. Before your interview, go through your head and pick out one or two specific times that you can remember for every experience you listed on the VMCAS. That way, you know exactly what you can talk about if they bring up one of them. I did a mock interview before I went, and it really helped a lot with nerves. But there's not too much need to be nervous, because everyone is SUPER nice and the interview doesn't last long at all. I would say maybe 20 minutes or so... at least for me. After that, you go on a tour of the main campus and then lunch with the Dean and some current vet students. After lunch, they take you on a tour of the veterinary areas of the school and the teaching hospital.. we also went to the large animal "hospital" and holding areas. You will have a great day!
Thank you. I've never wanted a month to go by quicker.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. I've never wanted a month to go by quicker.

That's how I feel about this year.. Can I just fast forward and be in vet school already? Lol! Still so surreal.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried to make a portal account and couldn't get it to work. Was your VMCAS verified?

My VMCAS application got verified already. I emailed the admissions people but it seems like they can't really give me any answers :/

On my applicant checklist, it only shows recommendation letters and nothing else (no GRE scores). Is that the same for everyone else?

My VMCAS application got verified already. I emailed the admissions people but it seems like they can't really give me any answers :/

On my applicant checklist, it only shows recommendation letters and nothing else (no GRE scores). Is that the same for everyone else?

Try calling them tomorrow maybe?

That's how I feel about this year.. Can I just fast forward and be in vet school already? Lol! Still so surreal.
Let me know how you feel in a year. I'm just finishing week 4 of vet school and I would like a rewind button so I can get some more relaxation time in! Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be in vet school, but I wish I didn't have to study so much.

Let me know how you feel in a year. I'm just finishing week 4 of vet school and I would like a rewind button so I can get some more relaxation time in! Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be in vet school, but I wish I didn't have to study so much.

I feel like all I do is study at this point anyways, but in vet school I will be learning stuff relevant to my field and profession. If I have to do one more calculus limit or proof I might have to kill someone... Which will be soon since my test is next week. Lol

For instance, I don't mind studying 5 hours of straight domesticated animal anatomy, since I will need that information forever! But calculus and organic evolution...

Last edited:

That is all mine showed, and now I've been accepted, so I think you should be fine.

Yay! I just received an email with a link to the portal. Thank goodness... I was so scared that my GRE scores weren't going to make it in time and that I would've wasted ~$127 applying to MWU. Talk about a relief.

But now I'll be going crazy checking it every day for updates. :p

Yay! I just received an email with a link to the portal. Thank goodness... I was so scared that my GRE scores weren't going to make it in time and that I would've wasted ~$127 applying to MWU. Talk about a relief.

But now I'll be going crazy checking it every day for updates. :p

When were you verified by VMCAS?

It's the same for me, as well. I assume that it is normal.

I also submitted on the 13th...keep me updated as to when you get verified! And I'll do the same.

I love reading these threads. I'm a current first year and I can tell you that I know how it feels to be waiting and waiting. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything right away. I was on a waitlist for an interview and didn't get an invite until March and didn't get my acceptance until April! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I also have a blog that addresses some questions as well. http://venturesinvetschool.blogspot.com

Reactions: 2 users
FINALLY got verified lol! Are portals usually taking 24+ hours to get sent out

Got my portal link tonight after getting verified this morning. Suh-weet that was quick

Do you guys get an email when your portal has been updated or do you just have to keep checking?

Sept 4 :/ and it was before Labor Day weekend so that extra Monday off was an added business day of waiting lol

Sept 4 :/ and it was before Labor Day weekend so that extra Monday off was an added business day of waiting lol

Haha oh my! I know the feeling. I didn't submit until the 13th so I feel like I have a long way to go before verification.

I received an invite for an interview today on my portal. It's scheduled for November 4th!!!! Any advice on what to wear?

I actually got wait-listed for an interview (kind of figured since I never got an interview invite). Just wondering what are the chances of them interviewing the wait-list students?

I actually got wait-listed for an interview (kind of figured since I never got an interview invite). Just wondering what are the chances of them interviewing the wait-list students?
How do you know you got waitlisted? Does the portal say or just does not change/update?

I got wait listed for an interview last year and the ended up interviewing in the summer and got accepted

For those who interviewed... about how long did it take for you to receive the interview invitation following setting up an account on the portal? It sounds like many people are getting invited ~48 hours after logging into the application portal, which worries me because I recieved the portal link Friday afternoon but have heard no other news. Granted, I know that they definitely will have more applications to sort through now that VMCAS is closed, but it is slightly concerning to me.

Maybe keep checking for a week or so...?

How do you know you got waitlisted? Does the portal say or just does not change/update?

They sent out an email. I heard they also sent a snail mail too. They didn't update anything on my portal.

I got wait listed for an interview last year and the ended up interviewing in the summer and got accepted

Thanks for letting me know! If you don't mind answering, when were you invited?

For everyone asking... here is a timeline of how long the process took for me, it was super quick! Although I applied really early and was in one of the very first interview groups. I didn't even set up my portal until I got an interview invite, but I had no clue they did rolling admissions or that I was even supposed to set up the portal. It is my instate school, therefore I felt like I should apply, although I honestly hadn't done all that much research into MWU before I got my interview date. The timeline for me though:

Submitted VMCAS: Aug 13
Verified by VMCAS: Aug 14
MWU emailed and said my application was complete and being reviewed: Aug 18 (I think they probably sent me the portal link in this email, I just didn't pay attention to it)
Interview Invitation: Aug 19
Interview: Sept 9
Accepted: Sept 15