Military SOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kpowell14

Mizzou c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A place to rant and rave about all things Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, And Reserves . :D

We are a special breed for sure. Dealing with LDR, deployments, military politics.. Just to name a few.

Mix in all things Vet school related and you've got one Amazing thread :D

Yaaaay :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

:love:

Who else has a military SO??

Members don't see this ad :)
Fear not, join our club!!

:welcome:

:welcome: all current and former SOs and friends of Military people too lol

So my husband is up for new orders next year. We've started looking at open billets and we've narrowed down our top 2 choices to Everett, WA and San Antonio, TX. We were considering Florida but sorry Emiloo, FL IS tuition is high and I hate that they weight the GRE 50%!!

There are pros and cons to Everett and San Antonio and I'm pretty much stuck squarely on the fence about which I'd prefer, haha. Bleeeggghhh is all I have to say right now.

I really want to move to Mississippi because we could stay together IF I get into vet school in the future and MSU's IS tuition is cheap plus they have an awesome program ... But husband is totally not digging the whole Mississippi thing.

So my husband is up for new orders next year. We've started looking at open billets and we've narrowed down our top 2 choices to Everett, WA and San Antonio, TX. We were considering Florida but sorry Emiloo, FL IS tuition is high and I hate that they weight the GRE 50%!!

There are pros and cons to Everett and San Antonio and I'm pretty much stuck squarely on the fence about which I'd prefer, haha. Bleeeggghhh is all I have to say right now.

I really want to move to Mississippi because we could stay together IF I get into vet school in the future and MSU's IS tuition is cheap plus they have an awesome program ... But husband is totally not digging the whole Mississippi thing.

I don't have any WA experience, but my brother in law was stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio and they loved it so much that they stayed there after he retired!! I have visited several times and also Loved it!! My fiancé did AIT at Fort Sam and he would like to go back!! So that's my two cents lol . Would he be at Fort Sam or Lackland AFB ?

Wheeeew- 50% for GRE??? That's the highest I have seen!!

I've looked into MSU for my next application if I don't get in this year ( :xf: ) .. I really like the 2+2 concept ... It's the reason I am reallly hoping to get into Missouri lol .. If I would have know they were 2+2 I would've applied there this go around!!!

I agree with your hubby... it would take a lot to make me move to Mississipi. Really anywhere more "real south" than where I am right now, ugh.

Not sure what branch you're in, but nothing's open in NC? We've got a good program and pretty low tuition. :D

I don't have any WA experience, but my brother in law was stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio and they loved it so much that they stayed there after he retired!! I have visited several times and also Loved it!! My fiancé did AIT at Fort Sam and he would like to go back!! So that's my two cents lol . Would he be at Fort Sam or Lackland AFB ?

Wheeeew- 50% for GRE??? That's the highest I have seen!!

I've looked into MSU for my next application if I don't get in this year ( :xf: ) .. I really like the 2+2 concept ... It's the reason I am reallly hoping to get into Missouri lol .. If I would have know they were 2+2 I would've applied there this go around!!!

Everyone I've talked to about Texas has had good things to say! I've been through the Dallas airport but that's the extent of my Texas travels. I'm not sure if it's Fort Sam or Lackland ... he just said it would be fairly easy for us to go there. I'm applying to Texas A&M San Antonio as a post-bacc student (I am leaning towards getting a second bachelors rather than just arbitrarily taking pre-reqs like I'm doing now) and I think I have a decent shot at getting in there. There's also a large humane society there that has job openings - that would be my dream. One of the vets I work with now also works part time at the humane society so maybe she could put in a good word?

Washington would be beautiful and the weather change would be nice. I'm applying to University of Washington as a post-bacc but I think it will be substantially harder to get in there. They straight up told me that it's difficult to get into a popular-ish program (biology) without a faculty member saying they want me in their program. Also, I want to get more large animal experience and I think that would be easier to find in Texas than in Washington.

And yeah, UF blows my mind with GRE. 25% verbal GRE score and 25% quantitative :eek:

The 2+2 program is what I love about MSU!! I didn't know Missouri had it also so that's good to know! I hope you get in this cycle so you don't have to go through the application process a second time :luck: :luck: :xf:

I agree with your hubby... it would take a lot to make me move to Mississipi. Really anywhere more "real south" than where I am right now, ugh.

Not sure what branch you're in, but nothing's open in NC? We've got a good program and pretty low tuition. :D

I've never been to Mississippi so maybe I'm jumping the gun slightly :laugh:

He's Navy and it looks like there are some bases in NC. I'm definitely going to tell him to look into it! He's going on shore duty which essentially means he doesn't need to be on a coast and will likely not be deploying for a while. NC is really lush and green, right? Is there hiking there or is it pretty flat? How much snow do you get in the winter?

Everyone I've talked to about Texas has had good things to say! I've been through the Dallas airport but that's the extent of my Texas travels. I'm not sure if it's Fort Sam or Lackland ... he just said it would be fairly easy for us to go there. I'm applying to Texas A&M San Antonio as a post-bacc student (I am leaning towards getting a second bachelors rather than just arbitrarily taking pre-reqs like I'm doing now) and I think I have a decent shot at getting in there. There's also a large humane society there that has job openings - that would be my dream. One of the vets I work with now also works part time at the humane society so maybe she could put in a good word?

Washington would be beautiful and the weather change would be nice. I'm applying to University of Washington as a post-bacc but I think it will be substantially harder to get in there. They straight up told me that it's difficult to get into a popular-ish program (biology) without a faculty member saying they want me in their program. Also, I want to get more large animal experience and I think that would be easier to find in Texas than in Washington.

And yeah, UF blows my mind with GRE. 25% verbal GRE score and 25% quantitative :eek:

The 2+2 program is what I love about MSU!! I didn't know Missouri had it also so that's good to know! I hope you get in this cycle so you don't have to go through the application process a second time :luck: :luck: :xf:

Looks like you have gotten your ducks in a row by applying to the post bacc programs!! I agree that it will likely be easier to get LA experience in Texas vs WA. Since you like the 2+2, I'd definitely look into Missouri! They have had a 100% NAVLE pass rate for the past 4 years!! Plus OOS students can get IS after the 1st year! Annnnd they do lots of LA stuff :D .. Me personally, I am very intrigued by the SA electives they offer :D admissions criteria is reasonable , only 4% weight on GRE !! :laugh:

Looks like you have gotten your ducks in a row by applying to the post bacc programs!! I agree that it will likely be easier to get LA experience in Texas vs WA. Since you like the 2+2, I'd definitely look into Missouri! They have had a 100% NAVLE pass rate for the past 4 years!! Plus OOS students can get IS after the 1st year! Annnnd they do lots of LA stuff :D .. Me personally, I am very intrigued by the SA electives they offer :D admissions criteria is reasonable , only 4% weight on GRE !! :laugh:

4% GRE is AMAZING! The first time I took the GRE (2 years ago) I didn't study and scored above average. Next time around I'm going to study study study and hopefully do better. Standardized tests and I don't really get along :rolleyes:

Ok, I've gotta get some work done. Sorry for all my word vomit in this thread ... I feel better getting all my thoughts out there :)

4% GRE is AMAZING! The first time I took the GRE (2 years ago) I didn't study and scored above average. Next time around I'm going to study study study and hopefully do better. Standardized tests and I don't really get along :rolleyes:

Ok, I've gotta get some work done. Sorry for all my word vomit in this thread ... I feel better getting all my thoughts out there :)

Haha it's perfectly fine, that's what it's here for :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never been to Mississippi so maybe I'm jumping the gun slightly :laugh:

He's Navy and it looks like there are some bases in NC. I'm definitely going to tell him to look into it! He's going on shore duty which essentially means he doesn't need to be on a coast and will likely not be deploying for a while. NC is really lush and green, right? Is there hiking there or is it pretty flat? How much snow do you get in the winter?

Depends on where you are in NC - the West has green mountains, the coast has beach ecosystems. We've got sea turtles! :D Winter is more of a "will we get snow" than "how much snow" in Eastern NC, although I know they tend to get more in the mountains.

Not sure where Navy bases are here, but I know the major AF and Marine ones are mainly closer to the coast. My father's a marine and the family home is about 2.5 hours from NC State proper.

Depends on where you are in NC - the West has green mountains, the coast has beach ecosystems. We've got sea turtles! :D Winter is more of a "will we get snow" than "how much snow" in Eastern NC, although I know they tend to get more in the mountains.

Not sure where Navy bases are here, but I know the major AF and Marine ones are mainly closer to the coast. My father's a marine and the family home is about 2.5 hours from NC State proper.

Is it obvious I've never been to or lived in the southern areas? :) Thanks for the input! I've got research to do!

Is it obvious I've never been to or lived in the southern areas? :) Thanks for the input! I've got research to do!

I hate research... That is, unless it's vet school related :laugh:

I'm not a military SO, but if you have any questions about WA, feel free to PM me - I've lived here my whole life ( I live farther south than Everett, but I used to go up to Seattle/area often).

My husband is Army Reserves. Nothing like you've got going on Emiloo, with making it through many deployments and all, but definitely understand the politics and 'The Needs of the Army' always come first.

As Washington goes- I've lived here for almost 10 years (all over the state) and while its beautiful in the summer, the gloomy weather can be a massive shock. We don't have much in the way of seasons (very few deciduous trees so if you really like that autumn leaf color change, you will be let down) which can be incredibly depressing for some people. So come armed with a Happy Lamp and get ready for tons of coffee. On a plus note- Naval Station Everett is beautiful and if you like hiking you will enjoy the activities!

I'm not a military SO, but if you have any questions about WA, feel free to PM me - I've lived here my whole life ( I live farther south than Everett, but I used to go up to Seattle/area often).

Its fine that Your not an SO :) we love everyone :)

My husband is Army Reserves. Nothing like you've got going on Emiloo, with making it through many deployments and all, but definitely understand the politics and 'The Needs of the Army' always come first.

As Washington goes- I've lived here for almost 10 years (all over the state) and while its beautiful in the summer, the gloomy weather can be a massive shock. We don't have much in the way of seasons (very few deciduous trees so if you really like that autumn leaf color change, you will be let down) which can be incredibly depressing for some people. So come armed with a Happy Lamp and get ready for tons of coffee. On a plus note- Naval Station Everett is beautiful and if you like hiking you will enjoy the activities!

Yaay Camelid!!! I knew there were more of us :)

Its fine that Your not an SO :) we love everyone :)

This forum is notorious for that. :D I'm not pre-vet either. I'm an abnormality in all groups!

However, I am doing research on military families, particularly military children. So... :D

Yeah, the seasons in WA are like...rain, rain with some sun, rain with clouds, rain with the occasional rare panic-causing sprinkling of snow... Lots of rain and clouds.

This forum is notorious for that. :D I'm not pre-vet either. I'm an abnormality in all groups!

However, I am doing research on military families, particularly military children. So... :D

Yeah, the seasons in WA are like...rain, rain with some sun, rain with clouds, rain with the occasional rare panic-causing sprinkling of snow... Lots of rain and clouds.

That's cool! Are you doing the research through school or job ? What's the focus of our research? I'm an Army Fiancé so I'd love o hear about our research if it's something out can talk about ! :D. I don't think I would like WA.. I'm in TN and I love our seasons.. Hot summer , amazing fall, mild winter, pretty spring :)

That's cool! Are you doing the research through school or job ? What's the focus of our research? I'm an Army Fiancé so I'd love o hear about our research if it's something out can talk about ! :D. I don't think I would like WA.. I'm in TN and I love our seasons.. Hot summer , amazing fall, mild winter, pretty spring :)

I'm doing it through an internship with my mentor (I'm an undergrad, graduating in May) - we're looking at child care providers of military children and designing a database of books that they could use that are geared specifically to helping the unique needs of military children. We're also designing learning modules for the child care providers to learn about the basics of military families and why, for example, it's offensive to ask someone in the Navy if they're in the National Guard, or vice versa... ;)

I like it here, but I've grown up here and I love it. :oops: It's going to be interesting moving away for grad school.

I'm doing it through an internship with my mentor (I'm an undergrad, graduating in May) - we're looking at child care providers of military children and designing a database of books that they could use that are geared specifically to helping the unique needs of military children. We're also designing learning modules for the child care providers to learn about the basics of military families and why, for example, it's offensive to ask someone in the Navy if they're in the National Guard, or vice versa... ;)

I like it here, but I've grown up here and I love it. :oops: It's going to be interesting moving away for grad school.

Very Interesting!!!

Where are you going to grad school?

Very Interesting!!!

Where are you going to grad school?

I don't know yet. :oops: My applications are due in a couple weeks. It's kind of nice to hang here and see others as freaked out over this whole thing like me.

It's a fun project! I'm mostly in charge of designing the database, entering everything, modifying it, etc. I'm also helping with the basic info of the learning modules and learning how to present info in a "politically correct" way and basically all the basics I'll need to learn more in-depth when I get my PhD. :D

Very cool about your research. If we had children I would let them partake in your research ... buuuuut all of our kids are furry with 4 legs :rolleyes:

WA sounds beautiful but I'm nervous about the rain, rain, rain thing. I'm a So Cal gal and I looooove the rain but we only get maybe 10 days of it per year! I would love to move somewhere that gets more "weather" but I really don't know if I will have a hard time adjusting. Plus one of my dogs HATES the rain. He literally refuses to go outside to potty when it's raining :laugh: ... Dogs are pretty adaptable, so to speak, so I like to think that he would adjust too.

Very cool about your research. If we had children I would let them partake in your research ... buuuuut all of our kids are furry with 4 legs :rolleyes:

WA sounds beautiful but I'm nervous about the rain, rain, rain thing. I'm a So Cal gal and I looooove the rain but we only get maybe 10 days of it per year! I would love to move somewhere that gets more "weather" but I really don't know if I will have a hard time adjusting. Plus one of my dogs HATES the rain. He literally refuses to go outside to potty when it's raining :laugh: ... Dogs are pretty adaptable, so to speak, so I like to think that he would adjust too.

Thanks. :oops: It's pretty cool and I'm learning a lot. My mentor is an awesome lady. I definitely want to do some more research on this population someday, probably after I graduate. But yeah, if anyone has any questions/wants to know more about it, feel free to PM me. :D I think I'll be working on it at least until I graduate, so.

It's not...always /constant/ rain. It depends a lot where you end up, too. The East side of WA is much less rain compared to the West side. Dogs are pretty adaptable, and I think sometimes it's just weird to adjust to a new place - our chihuahua dislikes the rain and will do everything she can to avoid it. It's kind of funny. We do get some sun in summer, though it rarely gets very hot (mid-to-high 90s is considered sweltering here). We got lots of sun this past summer and it was kind of amusing.

We do get some sun in summer, though it rarely gets very hot (mid-to-high 90s is considered sweltering here). We got lots of sun this past summer and it was kind of amusing.

Remember that summer we got maybe 4 days of 105F weather and every store in Tacoma/Seattle ran out of box fans and the city was in uproar about the box-fan emergency? :D

It's kind of funny moving from Seattle, where anything besides rain is considered an emergency, to Pullman where there are no emergencies. It can be 120F for 14 days and it's fine because we all have AC. We can get 16ft of snow and its fine because we all have snow tires.

I really miss the west side. The constant emergencies were actually pretty funny in retrospect :)

Remember that summer we got maybe 4 days of 105F weather and every store in Tacoma/Seattle ran out of box fans and the city was in uproar about the box-fan emergency? :D

It's kind of funny moving from Seattle, where anything besides rain is considered an emergency, to Pullman where there are no emergencies. It can be 120F for 14 days and it's fine because we all have AC. We can get 16ft of snow and its fine because we all have snow tires.

I really miss the west side. The constant emergencies were actually pretty funny in retrospect :)

Oh gosh yes. :rolleyes: We've had several days where OMG AN INCH OF SNOW or even OMG A DUSTING and the school district down here (I'm in SW WA) closes down. :rofl: Okay, there was that one time we got 18 inches of snow plus freezing rain and the whole city shut down for like a week...that's enough to throw /everyone/ into a tizzy.

I kind of liked Pullman when I visited. :oops: It's small but it's not as tiny as I was led to believe, and the campus is HUGE! (Anyone who knows WSU probably can guess where I go now based off of this, hehe).

Here the freeways are a mess when it rains. People crawl down the road and there are always a gazillion accidents ... I mean, come on people, it's really not that difficult!

I'm applying to University of WA and Western WA University as a post bacc student. Nether have given me the impression that I stand a chance at getting accepted being a post bacc student. We'll see what happens ...

When it rains here the ground is just soggy and dirty. Is it like that in WA? I hate walking my dogs after its rained here because it seems like they get filthy. How do you make that work?

Also, how is traffic around the Seattle area?

Ah! Husband called this morning and it's time to submit our top 5 choices for his next orders :scared: ... This is a list of places he could get orders to relatively easily and I have to narrow it down to 5:

Charleston, SC
Corpus Christi, TX
Everett, WA
Kingsville, TX
Groton, CT
Boston, MA
Pearl Harbor, HI
Kauai, HI

We will know by the end of the year where we are headed!! Excited but scared :eek:

Ah! Husband called this morning and it's time to submit our top 5 choices for his next orders :scared: ... This is a list of places he could get orders to relatively easily and I have to narrow it down to 5:

Charleston, SC
Corpus Christi, TX
Everett, WA
Kingsville, TX
Groton, CT
Boston, MA
Pearl Harbor, HI
Kauai, HI

We will know by the end of the year where we are headed!! Excited but scared :eek:

Well, I'd easily eliminate Hawaii.. Cost of living is HIGH plus, no vet schools lol

Definitely would keep Charleston, I have family there and they love it !!!
I'd keep all the Tx bc Texas A&M lol ..
I'd probably eliminate CT... No vet school there's either lol

I guess we see what my priorities are lol :laugh:

Here the freeways are a mess when it rains. People crawl down the road and there are always a gazillion accidents ... I mean, come on people, it's really not that difficult!

I'm applying to University of WA and Western WA University as a post bacc student. Nether have given me the impression that I stand a chance at getting accepted being a post bacc student. We'll see what happens ...

When it rains here the ground is just soggy and dirty. Is it like that in WA? I hate walking my dogs after its rained here because it seems like they get filthy. How do you make that work?

Also, how is traffic around the Seattle area?

:rofl: Yeah. We handle rain well here, but when there's snow...omg, the freeways are HILARIOUS. Everyone stocks up on danger supplies, etc. :rolleyes: I love WA and will be sad to leave, but. Amusement.

U of WA (U-dub) - my mentor's daughter (who is about my age) went there and really liked it. It's one of the really big schools, though, so there is that disadvantage. I'm guessing the classes in the sciences are still smaller, but even her upper-level business classes had 400+ students in them. It's an amazing top school, though, with tons of amazing research.

As for the ground...while much of WA is green, I know Seattle especially is fairly well paved. So while the ground occasionally gets soggy, I don't think it's /too/ much of a problem? It's been a couple months since I've been up there though, so I don't totally remember. Since it's rained so much for so long, businesses have pretty much adapted and while we do get some puddles, I think overall there's less mud.

Traffic...I think it's generally pretty traffic-y but there's also specific times when rush traffic happens (like everywhere). But there's also quite a few places you can walk when you're there too, so that helps a bit.

Well, I'd easily eliminate Hawaii.. Cost of living is HIGH plus, no vet schools lol

:rofl: That's awesome.

TX definitely probably has the lowest IS tuition. I think WA's is pretty low, but not as low as TX.

I was thinking along the same lines. Not only that but I can't imagine living on an island for 3 years (Hawaii). We have 2 dogs and it would cost us $500+ each dog to get them over to Hawaii plus lots and lots of paperwork. It would also be stressful for them to have to fly. I would much prefer to stay on the main land so we can drive there.

Charleston is looking promising. They have contract seats with MSU, who's program I love :love:

I can't believe we have to pick our top 5 so soon! We wouldn't be moving until next August/September! :eek:

I was thinking along the same lines. Not only that but I can't imagine living on an island for 3 years (Hawaii). We have 2 dogs and it would cost us $500+ each dog to get them over to Hawaii plus lots and lots of paperwork. It would also be stressful for them to have to fly. I would much prefer to stay on the main land so we can drive there.

Charleston is looking promising. They have contract seats with MSU, who's program I love :love:

I can't believe we have to pick our top 5 so soon! We wouldn't be moving until next August/September! :eek:

Oh yes, that makes charleston a DEFINITE YES!!!

Oh yes, that makes charleston a DEFINITE YES!!!

Charleston and Everett are definitely on the list. Pearl Harbor and Kauai are definitely off. I just need to research the 2 TX ones, MA, and CT. I'm leaning towards the TX ones though because of Texas A&M :)

I'm excited but so scared to move!

Charleston and Everett are definitely on the list. Pearl Harbor and Kauai are definitely off. I just need to research the 2 TX ones, MA, and CT. I'm leaning towards the TX ones though because of Texas A&M :)

I'm excited but so scared to move!

I wonder if CT has contract seats somewhere

I wonder if CT has contract seats somewhere

I've heard CT is beautiful and the cost of living is cheap. I don't think they have any contract seats anywhere though ... another one bites the dust! :p

I've heard CT is beautiful and the cost of living is cheap. I don't think they have any contract seats anywhere though ... another one bites the dust! :p

They contract with Iowa state!! ( thank you google)

Hmm ... but would I potentially want to live in Iowa for 4 years of my life?? :p

Good question lol

CT would be off my list lol :whistle:

ETA: Kingsville and Corpus Christie are super close to each other.. About 5 hrs from Texas A&M ... That it's totally doable!!!

Good question lol

CT would be off my list lol :whistle:

ETA: Kingsville and Corpus Christie are super close to each other.. About 5 hrs from Texas A&M ... That it's totally doable!!!

Yeah and MA is out because Tufts has a pretty hefty price tag!

Looks like Everett, Charleston, Corpus Christi, and Kingsville are on the list. I'll put CT as our last choice because I would rather go to Iowa than Tufts. :xf: they don't send us to CT. My husband said if we don't provide top 5 they could send us somewhere horrendous like Falon Nevada :eek:

You made narrowing down the choices surprisingly easy. Now I just need to pick the order :)

Yeah and MA is out because Tufts has a pretty hefty price tag!

Looks like Everett, Charleston, Corpus Christi, and Kingsville are on the list. I'll put CT as our last choice because I would rather go to Iowa than Tufts. :xf: they don't send us to CT. My husband said if we don't provide top 5 they could send us somewhere horrendous like Falon Nevada :eek:

You made narrowing down the choices surprisingly easy. Now I just need to pick the order :)

I'm glad I could help :)

Definitely CT last lol... Wa would likely be top three... Tied with the two TX places ( simply bc they have vet schools lol) but Charleston is such a great place so ugh choices choices!!!

How long have yall been in Cali to be up for new orders??

My guy is Stationed at Fort Drum, NY... About an hr north of Syracuse, and only 20ish miles away from Canada lol.. I like it up there, it's gorgeous.. But I don't know how I feel about living there long term lol.. Which might be happening if I don't get accepted somewhere this cycle lol

I'm glad I could help :)

Definitely CT last lol... Wa would likely be top three... Tied with the two TX places ( simply bc they have vet schools lol) but Charleston is such a great place so ugh choices choices!!!

How long have yall been in Cali to be up for new orders??

My guy is Stationed at Fort Drum, NY... About an hr north of Syracuse, and only 20ish miles away from Canada lol.. I like it up there, it's gorgeous.. But I don't know how I feel about living there long term lol.. Which might be happening if I don't get accepted somewhere this cycle lol

Well, we have kind of a strange story. He and I went to neighboring high schools in San Diego and kind of knew each other through friends. He was a senior when I was a freshman and we were complete opposites. I was super busy with sports, AP classes, etc. and he would ride around town on his skateboard, had long hair, and was a pot head :laugh: (obviously he's completely different now). After high school he was working full time and trying to pay his way through college by going to night classes. Talk about exhausting! So he joined the Navy figuring he would either do his time then take advantage of his GI bill and finish school OR he would make a career out of it if he liked it. So off he went to Chicago and he spent a little time in Mississippi and a little time in Texas then was deployed to Cuba for a little over a year. After Cuba he got orders back to San Diego and we connected on FB. We met up and have been dating ever since :love:

So he was here for about a year and a half when he was up for new orders. They were going to send him to Norfolk but he essentially begged to stay because I was in my last year of undergrad and wouldn't be able to move with him. They agreed to let him stay if he would commit to the Navy for an extra year. So he's been in for almost 6 years now and is in the process of re-enlisting for another 6. When he's home he takes 1-2 classes/semester because he is intent on finishing his degree whether or not he does 20 in the Navy. He's leaning towards staying in for 20 because of the benefits and the stability but he's hoping to finish his degree before he's out so he can become an officer of sorts. I forget what it's called ... but there's a special designation for people who started as enlisted but became officers.

We were both born and raised in Southern California so it's weird that we're still here. I've been wanting to leave California since forever but stayed because I got a scholarship to my undergrad school. And now that leaving California is actually a reality I have mixed feelings. I have a life established here ... I have my vet hospital job (fun) and my engineering job (bill-paying) and when we leave I'm leaving engineering for good. Exciting but nerve-wracking :scared: ... exciting because I don't like engineering and I'll be able to take more than one pre-req at a time because I won't be working 60-70 hours/week! But I'll be leaving a lot here ... the vet hospital job that I absolutely love, friends, family, and all my rescue stuff. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a vet hospital job wherever we end up and work 30-40 hour weeks while I work on my vet school pre-reqs. Overall I'm super duper excited to live somewhere new and different from Cali.

That's our story ... what's yours?
I imagine that area of New York is colder than the dickens!! Are you guys planning on living separately for 4 years if you get into vet school for c/o 2017? Where are you originally from?

We decided on Everett as our top choice :)

Then North Carolina, then Texas. Commmmeeee ooonnnnn Washington!!

Well, we have kind of a strange story. He and I went to neighboring high schools in San Diego and kind of knew each other through friends. He was a senior when I was a freshman and we were complete opposites. I was super busy with sports, AP classes, etc. and he would ride around town on his skateboard, had long hair, and was a pot head :laugh: (obviously he's completely different now). After high school he was working full time and trying to pay his way through college by going to night classes. Talk about exhausting! So he joined the Navy figuring he would either do his time then take advantage of his GI bill and finish school OR he would make a career out of it if he liked it. So off he went to Chicago and he spent a little time in Mississippi and a little time in Texas then was deployed to Cuba for a little over a year. After Cuba he got orders back to San Diego and we connected on FB. We met up and have been dating ever since :love:

So he was here for about a year and a half when he was up for new orders. They were going to send him to Norfolk but he essentially begged to stay because I was in my last year of undergrad and wouldn't be able to move with him. They agreed to let him stay if he would commit to the Navy for an extra year. So he's been in for almost 6 years now and is in the process of re-enlisting for another 6. When he's home he takes 1-2 classes/semester because he is intent on finishing his degree whether or not he does 20 in the Navy. He's leaning towards staying in for 20 because of the benefits and the stability but he's hoping to finish his degree before he's out so he can become an officer of sorts. I forget what it's called ... but there's a special designation for people who started as enlisted but became officers.

We were both born and raised in Southern California so it's weird that we're still here. I've been wanting to leave California since forever but stayed because I got a scholarship to my undergrad school. And now that leaving California is actually a reality I have mixed feelings. I have a life established here ... I have my vet hospital job (fun) and my engineering job (bill-paying) and when we leave I'm leaving engineering for good. Exciting but nerve-wracking :scared: ... exciting because I don't like engineering and I'll be able to take more than one pre-req at a time because I won't be working 60-70 hours/week! But I'll be leaving a lot here ... the vet hospital job that I absolutely love, friends, family, and all my rescue stuff. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a vet hospital job wherever we end up and work 30-40 hour weeks while I work on my vet school pre-reqs. Overall I'm super duper excited to live somewhere new and different from Cali.

That's our story ... what's yours?
I imagine that area of New York is colder than the dickens!! Are you guys planning on living separately for 4 years if you get into vet school for c/o 2017? Where are you originally from?

Holy smokes we are sooo much alike!

Me and my guy met at work.. I was working at Petsmart at the time, and he came in for his interview and immediately thought he looked like shaggy from Scooby Doo... Tall, skinny, with shaggy long blonde hair.. Come to find out he went to my high schools rival school and we had several friends in common ( we were both seniors at the time) ... He too was a pot head :laugh: .. After graduation we started hanging out and dated for about a month before I broke up with him lol..

I also got a scholarship for undergrad ( academic and athletic).. I played softball my freshman year and even though we were broke up, he was my best friend in the whole wide world... Then we finally got back together spring of my freshman year of college.. All this time he had been working full time and going to school for architecture.. He eventually decided he hated school and after getting his associates, he left lol. He then started working an overnight job For a little over a year.

Then he had this epiphany that he wanted to do something more meaningful with his life and decided he wanted to join the army... I was heart broken... We had been together almost 3 years when he decided to make this huge life course change.. After talking it out, I became more ok with it, and in march of 2011 he went to boot camp. He's a Medic (68w) ... After 7 months of training he ended up being stationed at Fort Drum..

While he's been gone I've been finishing up my undergrad degree and I will Finally graduate Dec 15th :D I only applied to Missouri and UT-Knoxville for this app cycle.. And now that we are officially engaged, we've decided that I either get in this year and I move to wherever will take me or we will get married when he comes home after deployment, rent a Uhaul and I'll be moving to NY to be with him lol.. I'll probably not apply for the 2018 class, and try applying the 2019 class. If I get in, we will suck it up and live apart and just visit on breaks. But if not, I'm soo ready to move and be with him!! :love:

I was born/raised/ and currently live in Nashville, Tn

Holy smokes we are sooo much alike!

Me and my guy met at work.. I was working at Petsmart at the time, and he came in for his interview and immediately thought he looked like shaggy from Scooby Doo... Tall, skinny, with shaggy long blonde hair.. Come to find out he went to my high schools rival school and we had several friends in common ( we were both seniors at the time) ... He too was a pot head :laugh: .. After graduation we started hanging out and dated for about a month before I broke up with him lol..

I also got a scholarship for undergrad ( academic and athletic).. I played softball my freshman year and even though we were broke up, he was my best friend in the whole wide world... Then we finally got back together spring of my freshman year of college.. All this time he had been working full time and going to school for architecture.. He eventually decided he hated school and after getting his associates, he left lol. He then started working an overnight job For a little over a year.

Then he had this epiphany that he wanted to do something more meaningful with his life and decided he wanted to join the army... I was heart broken... We had been together almost 3 years when he decided to make this huge life course change.. After talking it out, I became more ok with it, and in march of 2011 he went to boot camp. He's a Medic (68w) ... After 7 months of training he ended up being stationed at Fort Drum..

While he's been gone I've been finishing up my undergrad degree and I will Finally graduate Dec 15th :D I only applied to Missouri and UT-Knoxville for this app cycle.. And now that we are officially engaged, we've decided that I either get in this year and I move to wherever will take me or we will get married when he comes home after deployment, rent a Uhaul and I'll be moving to NY to be with him lol.. I'll probably not apply for the 2018 class, and try applying the 2019 class. If I get in, we will suck it up and live apart and just visit on breaks. But if not, I'm soo ready to move and be with him!! :love:

I was born/raised/ and currently live in Nashville, Tn

Seriously, are you living my life in a parallel universe?? :rolleyes:

Looks like you might NOT be moving to New York!! Sounds like either situation is win-win but since you just got an interview invite I am rooting for UTK or Mizzou!!!! :nod: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Seriously, are you living my life in a parallel universe?? :rolleyes:

Looks like you might NOT be moving to New York!! Sounds like either situation is win-win but since you just got an interview invite I am rooting for UTK or Mizzou!!!! :nod: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Omg I know right!! When I read your story I was like omg... This sounds like my life!! Lol I'm praaaaying Mizzous interview goes well and they accept me, they are my #1 choice!! Eeeeek! :D :xf: :D

Omg I know right!! When I read your story I was like omg... This sounds like my life!! Lol I'm praaaaying Mizzous interview goes well and they accept me, they are my #1 choice!! Eeeeek! :D :xf: :D

How in the world are you going to sleep tonight ... Or any night between now and the interview??!! I'm sure you'll rock it! Keep everyone posted for sure! :D

When I saw that you posted you got an interview on FB I wanted to scream for you!!

How in the world are you going to sleep tonight ... Or any night between now and the interview??!! I'm sure you'll rock it! Keep everyone posted for sure! :D

When I saw that you posted you got an interview on FB I wanted to scream for you!!

Haha lol I did scream lol I was sitting in class, and I saw someone post on the Mizzou thread to check our emails bc interviews were out... I checked, and all I saw was the subject line and I started to scream lol

I think I'm actually gonna sleep better knowing that I have gotten an interview for sure. I've been on edge the past couple of weeks.. I've been doubtful of my personal statement.. I forgot to put something in my explanation statement about the incomplete I have from last semester.. After this semester it will go away bc I'm finishing up my senior project, but I was terrified that it would put me out of the running. so I'm gonna sleep like a baby lol..

From what I've read, the interviews are very laid back and personal. I'm praying that will be the case with me lol :xf: :luck:

Last edited: