Mississippi State CVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from Missy about our place on the alternate list? I really don't want to be that person that emails again and again but I also don't want to get lost in the inevitable sea of emails. I don't mind calling but I wanted to give her an appropriate amount of time before I did that.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from Missy about our place on the alternate list? I really don't want to be that person that emails again and again but I also don't want to get lost in the inevitable sea of emails. I don't mind calling but I wanted to give her an appropriate amount of time before I did that.
I havent received anything either and I emailed her the day I found out. I wasn't going to give a call until after March 1st because I remember her saying something during interview days of not bothering her until after then.

Has anyone who's been accepted still not received their acceptance packet yet? I'm still waiting on mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scratch that... I just received mine in the mail, hopefully in time to avoid another stress-induced ulcer.

Alternatively, if that format seems unreasonable, you can just pursue the PhD at the close of the DVM (which another current student is doing). She was still selected at this stage of the process, but just opted to do the PhD after, which is something I'm considering as well, but we'll see. I have many more questions to ask and decisions to make. Praise the April deadline lol!
If I could clarify on this, the choice actually rests with the student's mentor. Some researchers were hesitant to take on a DVM/PhD student because of the interruption in research. Starting the DVM portion first is more favorable to them. Of course, you get to choose your mentor. If your research is more clinical-based, you'll probably start with the PhD first.

Oh, and congrats to all the acceptances!!! I see there is a current student already answering questions, but feel free to Pm me if need be. I'm rarely on here, but I get email notifications of messages. There is a Facebook group already made for the class of 2019, so join that if you haven't already.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone heard back about waitlist positions?

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing here either. Although im pretty positive im going to accept my spot at OSU-CVHS, still holding out for MSU a little.

haven't heard anything either. Has anyone called Ms. Hadaway yet?

I called and found out today she was super nice as always:)

I called today as well. I guess I couldn't wait. Missy was really nice about it even though I called at the end of the day.

Good news? I hope! Does anyone know how many seats they usually go through on the OOS waitlist? I think mine number is good but I have no clue.

I don't understand.. I thought she was supposed to be emailing people back? What was the point of emailing if we just have to call anyway? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Good news? I hope! Does anyone know how many seats they usually go through on the OOS waitlist? I think mine number is good but I have no clue.

Mine was good news (I think). As for emailing when we had to call, I think she will be emailing people back eventually but if you're an impatient person like me, a phone call just gets it done immediately.

When you talked to Missy did she give you a specific position or just top/middle/bottom of the list kind of thing?

When you talked to Missy did she give you a specific position or just top/middle/bottom of the list kind of thing?
Also, when I talked to her she said it varies how many alternates they go into each year. Two years ago she said they barely took any alternates but then a year or two before that only 4 out of their top 100 choices committed! So at this point she has no idea how many seats they're going to go through.

Also, when I talked to her she said it varies how many alternates they go into each year. Two years ago she said they barely took any alternates but then a year or two before that only 4 out of their top 100 choices committed! So at this point she has no idea how many seats they're going to go through.

Was this 100 top choices for the 85 total seats or the 40ish OOS?

Talked to Missy today and I'm in the 3rd quartile. Anybody else in this position or know if previous years they went that far down the list? I'm feeling pretty doubtful right now.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I'm actually at the top of the alternate list for a contract spot so I'm hoping some people decide not to go :p But maybe I'll see you there!

Good luck! There are two other people from my school who have committed also, so only two spots left! It's crazy that there were so many of us for only 5 spots.

I'm mailing my acceptance letter with deposit today

Good luck! There are two other people from my school who have committed also, so only two spots left! It's crazy that there were so many of us for only 5 spots.
Thanks! Is one of them Shelly?

Just spoke to Missy (who continues to be a lovely, patient human being) and she told me that the oos waiting list hasn't moved at all, which she said was pretty normal for this time. But she also told me that the majority of people who had paid the deposit were in state.

Reactions: 4 users
Just spoke to Missy (who continues to be a lovely, patient human being) and she told me that the oos waiting list hasn't moved at all, which she said was pretty normal for this time. But she also told me that the majority of people who had paid the deposit were in state.
In state as in from Mississippi?

For an OOS spot?

Yes, for out of state. I called and confirmed and it arrived and I have been officially admitted. I hope you guys get in. Your level of motivation and desire is what the veterinary community needs. We need veterinarians like ya'll !!! Don't lose hope.

Any updates on the OOS waitlist?

Any updates on the OOS waitlist?

I called today and once again had to talk to Hailey (the assistant?). I asked if there was any movement on the waitlist and she said no. But she also said something to the effect of that some people had turned in their official decisions but they hadn't looked at them yet (I'm paraphrasing here). I asked when they would start looking at them and she kind of danced around the question and said "Well people have until April 15 to answer." I don't know if I'm reading too much into what she said, but it kind of seemed that they wouldn't start calling people off the waitlist until April 15th. I could, of course, be totally wrong on this.

I called today and once again had to talk to Hailey (the assistant?). I asked if there was any movement on the waitlist and she said no. But she also said something to the effect of that some people had turned in their official decisions but they hadn't looked at them yet (I'm paraphrasing here). I asked when they would start looking at them and she kind of danced around the question and said "Well people have until April 15 to answer." I don't know if I'm reading too much into what she said, but it kind of seemed that they wouldn't start calling people off the waitlist until April 15th. I could, of course, be totally wrong on this.
When I called and talked to Missy she said that the list will probably start moving before the 15th but only the very top.

When I was interviewing she said after April 15th and looking at previous years waitlist threads it looks like they start calling April 16th. When I initially called she told me to check back in at the end of March so I did but it sounds like it hasn't moved. Crossing fingers:)

Hey again! I have a meeting with Dr. Meiring because he's visiting Clemson. If anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask because you don't want to keep calling then let me know! I'll post here after I meet with him and let you know what he says! :D

When should we call to find out our exact number on the alternate list? Missy said when it got closer to the 15th we could call but that was about a month ago.

I had emailed missy on March 2. She responded last week on Thursday and said the oos list hadnt moved at all.

I had emailed missy on March 2. She responded last week on Thursday and said the oos list hadnt moved at all.

Okay, but as far as actual number instead of which quartile. I'm not sure if we can go ahead and call now to find that out.

I dont know if they give out actual numbers or just relative positions ever. She gave me my actual number but she kind of whispered it like she wasn't supposed to do that.

So I had a meeting with Dr. Meiring today and he told me he just found out that all the SC contract spots have been committed to. He said 13 out of 33 OOS have committed and that half of the alternates have contacted them declining. He also said it could take up until mid-May to find out about an OOS spot :(

He said he'll know more next week about the OOS list.

So I had a meeting with Dr. Meiring today and he told me he just found out that all the SC contract spots have been committed to. He said 13 out of 33 OOS have committed and that half of the alternates have contacted them declining. He also said it could take up until mid-May to find out about an OOS spot :(

He said he'll know more next week about the OOS list.
Thanks so much for the info!! :D

Does anyone know how many people were actually put on the alternate list?

Does anyone know how many people were actually put on the alternate list?
Dr. Meiring said one year they went like 85 people into the alternate list so I imagine there's quite a bit. He said they always have a lot of extra spots "like airlines do" because they know not everyone would commit. I'll tell you that I'm at the "top of the middle" of the list apparently and he said that's actually a pretty good place to be typically but he's not sure yet how much the list may or may not move.

Dr. Meiring said one year they went like 85 people into the alternate list so I imagine there's quite a bit. He said they always have a lot of extra spots "like airlines do" because they know not everyone would commit. I'll tell you that I'm at the "top of the middle" of the list apparently and he said that's actually a pretty good place to be typically but he's not sure yet how much the list may or may not move.
Thank you sunkistkitty! When I called back in March I was told I was in the 3rd quartile and was not feeling very hopeful. With there still being 20 spots open and over half have already taken themselves off the alternate list I feel a lot better about my position! I appreciate you sharing your info. :)

I just took myself off the alternate list. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know anything about IS waitlist status? waitlisted and very anxious, just wanting to know if anyone has declined an IS offer

Don't lose hope guys. April 15th is near!!!