MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In at UC Irvine for Sociocultural Diversity and Health! I probably won't take it though, so I hope someone on the waitlist takes my spot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Were the Harvard acceptances only for SM2 and epi/global health? Did anyone from the other MPH programs hear back yet? Congrats to those who got in!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
they listed Harvard as being in Baltimore, MD. Unless im missing something here, since when is Harvard not in Boston?! I cant take that list seriously if they cant even do basic editing.

Lool I just noticed that! I only paid attention to the schools I applied too and there wasn't any discrepancies with what I read on the US News and World Report Ranking of Top Graduate Public Health Programs and the web-links above... Until now; probably an honest mistake but also an obvious one too make :/

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...=&program_rank=Any&sort=rank_sort&sortdir=asc

Last edited:
I was just looking up the cost of tuition for Emory and Columbia. Jesus, that's a lot of money... I don't think it really hit me until now how much debt I will be in for my MPH.

I got an eMail letting me know Tulane had received my SOPHAS app and was reviewing it on January 26th. I applied to Summer and Fall 2015 MPH epi. and Fall 2015 MSPH Tropical Med.. I received my acceptance for Fall epi. 2015 today.

If you haven't seen this thread yet it might be useful.
Thanks!! I got my acceptance this evening!

Congrats! I'm thinking about LSHTM too (found out this morning as well). Did you also happen to find out which program you were accepted to? I applied to two and am curious to see which one I have a spot in!

For me it's the MSc in Epidemiology since I only applied to that one... but I'm honestly not sure how you would know which program you're accepted to based on the general email they sent out! Perhaps send the registry an email if you don't receive a follow-up email with that information next week?

How does LSHTM stack up for you compared to other schools? It's looking like the most viable option financially, unless Harvard comes with a big scholarship. My only real concern about LSHTM is the lack of formal CEPH accreditation.

Were the Harvard acceptances only for SM2 and epi/global health? Did anyone from the other MPH programs hear back yet? Congrats to those who got in!!!

Mine was for the SM1 Epi. Any others looking at the one-year program?

I'm glad to see someone else interested in that specialization! How do you feel about Columbia for research opportunities? I was going to PM you but apparently am not smart enough to figure that out. I plan on doing psych epi, which is not necessarily the same as neuro but could be (I want to study severe mental illness; I applied to Harvard's neuropsych epi program and that's a perfect fit). Anyway, I'm nervous because I don't have any research experience and really want the opportunity to get experience in neuro/psych research. What is your impression of research opportunities at the MPH level at Columbia?

Hey, so sorry for the late reply!! Anyway, before I applied to Columbia, I took a look at the faculty listings and research interests to see if anyone had my specific interests. I read some of their papers and found a TON of overlapping interest with a few professors. I would suggest you to take a look and see if you find anybody interested in similar fields. Hope that helps :) Also, even if you don't have research experience, that's okay! Better late than never :D

Just wanted to say hey to a fellow neuroscience major !! Congrats on your acceptances & publications, those are hard to come by as an undergrad.

Thank you! Congratulations on your acceptances as well!

Congratulations to all of you who were accepted to Harvard today!! :D

Last edited:
First thing I saw this morning was a rejection letter from Yale. Also did not hear anything from Harvard either. Guessing it's a no-go? :(

My Harvard app is still under review. (AKA rejected, which is fine and totally expected, but you can't get in unless you apply.) Still nothing from Tufts yet. I assume that also means rejected because my correspondence suggested I'd hear back this week.

Mazel to everyone accepted to Havahd today!

Don't lose hope yet! A friend of mine was admitted to HSPH last year for SM2 in Global Heath and Population in mid-March, about 2 weeks after other applicants had heard back. It's not a no until they actually say so!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
May I know if anybody heard any news about scholarships at UTSPH? I'm really looking towards to their New Student Scholarships (heard that it'll make you qualify for in-state tuition) but communication with them has been very difficult so far :-s.

It seems so; I applied accelerated MPH in health management/public health leadership and haven't heard back yet. Hopefully next friday i'll know. It's just eating at me.

Side Question... Does anyone know if UIC's MPH in Health Policy and Administration has an interview component?

I haven't seen much about CUNY School of Public Health on this thread, but for those who have applied, how long did it take to get a response?

I haven't seen much about CUNY School of Public Health on this thread, but for those who have applied, how long did it take to get a response?

I was SOPHAS verified on 11/19. I got confirmation of my application on 12/5. I was accepted on 1/12.

I know several of us are still waiting to hear from the final round of selections from Tufts. Anyone hear anything? Last round notifications were sent out on Wednesday and Friday, but nothing! GradCafe has nothing, either.

In at UC Irvine for Sociocultural Diversity and Health! I probably won't take it though, so I hope someone on the waitlist takes my spot! :)

That's the last sochol I'm waiting for! Could you let me know how they informed you, I thought I read it was via Snail Mail, but I've also heard through email.

That's the last sochol I'm waiting for! Could you let me know how they informed you, I thought I read it was via Snail Mail, but I've also heard through email.
I emailed them, and she emailed me back! There was another email with my decision letter. I got notified yesterday, but my letter was dated on 2/19, so I guess they're slow in notifying the accepted applicants?

Hi! I am a senior at Washington University in St. Louis, and I applied to the University of Miami MPH program and was wondering if anyone else has applied/ knows anything about how competitive their program is? I am super stressed about it and anyone who could give any insight would be much appreciated!
Gpa: 3.70
GRE: verbal: 162 q:156 w:4
Bio/Spanish double major, Public Health Minor
-work in a clinic as a translator for spanish speaking patients (3 yrs)
-worked in a clinic translating and assisting in programs in rural Peru (1 month)
-shadowed neonatologist in Madrid (6 mo)
-published in Nature magazine as a co-author on a paper due to research work i did in a lab at washu med school (3 yrs)

Hi WUSTL2011,

As far as I know, UMiami's MPH is not very competitive. With your statistics, especially coming from such an elite university like Wash-U, I would be shocked if you did not get accepted. Did you apply anywhere else? I'm assuming Miami is attractive to you, because you're interested in public health in Latin America?

Hi! I am a senior at Washington University in St. Louis, and I applied to the University of Miami MPH program and was wondering if anyone else has applied/ knows anything about how competitive their program is? I am super stressed about it and anyone who could give any insight would be much appreciated!
Gpa: 3.70
GRE: verbal: 162 q:156 w:4
Bio/Spanish double major, Public Health Minor
-work in a clinic as a translator for spanish speaking patients (3 yrs)
-worked in a clinic translating and assisting in programs in rural Peru (1 month)
-shadowed neonatologist in Madrid (6 mo)
-published in Nature magazine as a co-author on a paper due to research work i did in a lab at washu med school (3 yrs)

May I know if anybody heard any news about scholarships at UTSPH? I'm really looking towards to their New Student Scholarships (heard that it'll make you qualify for in-state tuition) but communication with them has been very difficult so far :-s.
I haven't heard anything... they've been pretty unresponsive since my admissions, haha. I also never got my letter in the mail.... should I email them about that? :/

I haven't heard anything... they've been pretty unresponsive since my admissions, haha. I also never got my letter in the mail.... should I email them about that? :/

Thanks. I already emailed them. Will update you should I get any responses.

Hi all - I posted this on gradcafe but am reposting here. Would really appreciate it if you could give me your thoughts!:

At this point in the app cycle, WashU is looking really appealing, as they have offered me a $25k scholarship. I also got into Emory and Columbia with no word yet on funding, as well as Pittsburgh, which does not offer masters funding.

Since WUSTL is not ranked as they do not have a school of public health, I am hoping some of you can help provide me with a decent understanding of the perceived quality of this program. What is the reputation of an MPH from WUSTL? What is your general opinion or impression of their program?

Hi WUSTL2011,

As far as I know, UMiami's MPH is not very competitive. With your statistics, especially coming from such an elite university like Wash-U, I would be shocked if you did not get accepted. Did you apply anywhere else? I'm assuming Miami is attractive to you, because you're interested in public health in Latin America?

Thanks so much BPW1088! I was only really looking at schools with a 1 year program option since I would like to go to med school after, and of those options U Miami felt like the best fit because I really wanted to work somewhere with spanish speaking communities and easy access to Latin America, but yes it is the only one I applied to. They just don't give out any stats on their previously admitted students/ what their class size is so its been hard for me to conceptualize how likely it would be for me to get in. But I appreciate your response and if anyone else out there has applied/ gotten in/ knows anything about it I would love more info!
Thanks!

Hi all,

What are your opinions on location? I am feeling deadlocked between UNC and UWashington. I went to UW for undergrad and absolutely love Seattle and would be happy to spend a good chuck of my life there. However, UNC's program is more exciting to me and the SPH is more highly ranked. I am Nutrition/Dietetics and that comes with a nine month internship in several placements and therefore a lot of networking opportunities. If I went to UNC, I don't think I would want to stay in the South so would it be foolish to go there? Would that be a waste of my internship networking or do you think with UNC on my resume it would be easy enough to get good positions in other places?

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks =)

Hi all,

What are your opinions on location? I am feeling deadlocked between UNC and UWashington. I went to UW for undergrad and absolutely love Seattle and would be happy to spend a good chuck of my life there. However, UNC's program is more exciting to me and the SPH is more highly ranked. I am Nutrition/Dietetics and that comes with a nine month internship in several placements and therefore a lot of networking opportunities. If I went to UNC, I don't think I would want to stay in the South so would it be foolish to go there? Would that be a waste of my internship networking or do you think with UNC on my resume it would be easy enough to get good positions in other places?

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks =)

I think you can do your practicum anywhere? At least I know that in Columbia its a world wide practicum and we get to choose where we want to apply and go...

I think UNC would give you the best opportunities as a student and if you're able to do your practicum in the state you want to reside in later off in life you should be able to hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

Personally I wouldn't give up UNC for UW :)

people from HPM in Harvard have heard back as well. Has anybody here from HPM heard back?

Also guys please help me out. I need to choose between minnesota (epi) UCLA(epi) BU (EPI) and GW(HPM). What do you guys think will be the best choice. I am so confused!! I really was looking forward to Columbia HPM but got waitlisted :(

Also guys please help me out. I need to choose between minnesota (epi) UCLA(epi) BU (EPI) and GW(HPM). What do you guys think will be the best choice. I am so confused!! I really was looking forward to Columbia HPM but got waitlisted :(
I would start by decided between HPM and Epi (although I guess some programs might make it easy to switch?). Where would you prefer to live? These programs are all in drastically different locations! Also, what are your long-term goals? Are any of these programs superior in getting you there? What about professors you would like to work with? Good luck deciding, these are all great programs!

I would start by decided between HPM and Epi (although I guess some programs might make it easy to switch?). Where would you prefer to live? These programs are all in drastically different locations! Also, what are your long-term goals? Are any of these programs superior in getting you there? What about professors you would like to work with? Good luck deciding, these are all great programs!
thanks for the reply. i really want to stay in the east coast so mostly it's a choice between Boston and GW. so i was basically wondering which is the better school, boston is better ranked but not by much. It's not that I have to choose between say a Columbia and Boston. That would, for me, be an easy choice. Also,I guess for health policy GW is a better program than say epi BU. i feel torn :)

Hi All,
I'm a long time lurker. I'm trying to decide between UNC (MHA) and Yale (MPH-HCM). Any thoughts? I haven't read much of a discussion on UNC this year's thread. And has anyone heard about financial aid for either of these schools? How common is it to get need and merit based aid?

For columbia's HPM

When was your interview?
When did you hear back?

Lol sorry I'm dying with the waiting game here...

For columbia's HPM

When was your interview?
When did you hear back?

Lol sorry I'm dying with the waiting game here...
my interview was on 2/2. Heard back 2/24... Don't worry. No news is good news :)

They give you scholarship if your gpa is 3.5 and above and gre 308 and above

my interview was on 2/2. Heard back 2/24... Don't worry. No news is good news :)

️ thank you! That's what I was telling my mom
My interview was 2/18 I just need to let go and let God at this point

Ooh and congrats!!!!! wish you the best!

Hi All,
I'm a long time lurker. I'm trying to decide between UNC (MHA) and Yale (MPH-HCM). Any thoughts? I haven't read much of a discussion on UNC this year's thread. And has anyone heard about financial aid for either of these schools? How common is it to get need and merit based aid?
Congrats on your offers ! I didn't apply to either so I'm particularly objective but also possibly ignorant being that I don't know much about those programs besides name and rank. Off first glance, the biggest thing I notice is that one is an MPH while the other is an MHA. If you would like to do health management at a public health institution or at the community level, an MPH might be better suited for u... hence how Yale requires MPH core classes like Epi while UNC does not. The MHA seems more geared towards health systems/hospitals, MCO's,/HMO's, consulting etc. BUT I will say looking at Yale's recent employment data, a good portion of them work in consulting, so you are able to go that route with a degree from there. I'd think about the different cultures of each institution, consider location, price, post grad employment and look at the research interests of the faculty to see if any line up with your career goals. I'd personally prob lean more toward UNC, but that's more of a location/culture thing. Either will set u up for success. Good luck

Hi! I was hoping someone could give me their thoughts on deciding which program I should end up choosing. I was offered admission to UC Berkeley (IDV) and Columbia with a certificate in infectious disease epidemiology. I am interested in ending up doing global health/infectious disease epidemiology and I am torn on which program to attend.

Pros:
Berkeley: close to home, in-state tuition, great global health but not a lot of ID research but there are a few professors doing some work I am really interested in
Columbia: great ID program, shorter program

Any insight you guys have into this decision would be greatly appreciated!

I know several of us are still waiting to hear from the final round of selections from Tufts. Anyone hear anything? Last round notifications were sent out on Wednesday and Friday, but nothing! GradCafe has nothing, either.

I got into Tufts this past Friday - they notified me a decision had been made on Monday and I received the login information Friday. I applied for HPM. Hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who've heard from Harvard, did you get an email from them or did you have to check your applicant status in the applicant portal? I forgot my password for it and can't get into the portal hahaha..

Lol @ the above

I was going to ask the same for Columbia how was everyone notified?

I don't have the decisions option on SOPHAS because they're taking 8.61 light years to verify my application :-/

Now that
Lol @ the above

I was going to ask the same for Columbia how was everyone notified?

I don't have the decisions option on SOPHAS because they're taking 8.61 light years to verify my application :-/

Via email.

Have you considered the MD/MPH at UMiami? Also, how about Tulane? Being right near the Gulf of Mexico and a short distance to Central America, Tulane has a large interest in Latin America. Tulane also has an MD/MPH program too. I hope that helps!

Thanks so much BPW1088! I was only really looking at schools with a 1 year program option since I would like to go to med school after, and of those options U Miami felt like the best fit because I really wanted to work somewhere with spanish speaking communities and easy access to Latin America, but yes it is the only one I applied to. They just don't give out any stats on their previously admitted students/ what their class size is so its been hard for me to conceptualize how likely it would be for me to get in. But I appreciate your response and if anyone else out there has applied/ gotten in/ knows anything about it I would love more info!
Thanks!

Ok perfect! I wasn't sure if I was missing out :/

It's been 3 weeks and no verification has been applied

Mine took about 4 weeks to verify. I also still haven't heard anything for Columbia. I hope to hear back before I go on my medical mission trip in two weeks. Otherwise, I probably won't look at my email until I get back haha. I don't wanna be sad on my trip if I don't get in.