MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed with a graduate student on January 12 and heard back February 11.

It was a very casual interview, I was asked the basics like Why Public Health? MPH? Columbia? Strength?

Read over your statement of purpose prior to your interview and have a few small talk items to talk about. If you do that, you will do great!
I interviewed with a graduate student on January 12 and heard back February 11.

It was a very casual interview, I was asked the basics like Why Public Health? MPH? Columbia? Strength?

Read over your statement of purpose prior to your interview and have a few small talk items to talk about. If you do that, you will do great!

Thanks so much! I'm not so worried now about the interview because of your previous comment.
I'm just hoping it goes well and I hear back from Columbia relatively soon since people are already hearing about the HPM program. I did finish my application pretty late (1/14) so maybe they're just going down the list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted Harvard. Decisions coming out next week till mid-March

Reactions: 7 users
Massive congratulations! I also just got into BU SPH and had my BU MBA interview today(!) How long was the turnaround time before you heard back from Questrom?
Unbelievably quick, the person who interviewed me called me within a week with my offer. Congrats to you too, and good luck on the MBA half!

Accepted to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine for an MSc in Epidemiology! But they want me to decide in less than 28 days whether or not to move to London- yikes!!! :(

Accepted to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine for an MSc in Epidemiology! But they want me to decide in less than 28 days whether or not to move to London- yikes!!! :(
Oh man, that's quick, but what an exciting offer!

So I've been looking at the number of credit hours when comparing MPH programs. Has anyone else noticed Emory's credits needed for an MPH is a lot lower than a few others?
Like Drexel and U-M are both 60-something, UNC is 54, but Emory is only 42 credit hours? I mean, if you take 4 semesters with that it's only 10.5 per semester.
Being that it's the same price as U-M (I'm out of state) wouldn't I want the most credit hours for my dollar? Keep in mind I'm looking in the behavioral sciences department for all of these so I'm not sure how much variation there is across different depts. Are the courses at Emory just more in depth or something? Or do people usually finish in less than two years? What am I missing here?

So I've been looking at the number of credit hours when comparing MPH programs. Has anyone else noticed Emory's credits needed for an MPH is a lot lower than a few others?
Like Drexel and U-M are both 60-something, UNC is 54, but Emory is only 42 credit hours? I mean, if you take 4 semesters with that it's only 10.5 per semester.
Being that it's the same price as U-M (I'm out of state) wouldn't I want the most credit hours for my dollar? Keep in mind I'm looking in the behavioral sciences department for all of these so I'm not sure how much variation there is across different depts. Are the courses at Emory just more in depth or something? Or do people usually finish in less than two years? What am I missing here?
I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, but I know BU's program is 48 credit hours, but there is also a 240 (I think!) hour practicum required. So maybe the fewer credit hours is made up by having a longer out-of-classroom requirements like a practicum or internship. You might want to check just to make sure exactly what's going on!

Last edited:
Unbelievably quick, the person who interviewed me called me within a week with my offer. Congrats to you too, and good luck on the MBA half!

That's incredible haha it's awesome you at least knew the status of your MBA application so soon! They said about 3 weeks for me, but we'll see... hopefully sooner than that. Congrats again and good luck in your future studies! :)

Got an email from Oregon MPH:" Just to let you know that the reviews are still ongoing. The review team is steadily working on them, and I will keep you updated as the process moves forward."

They had a 2/1 priority deadline so it's to be expected that it's taking this long :( def appreciate the email to ease the anxious vibes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone on the acceptances! I just scheduled my Columbia interview for this weekend. For those who heard back and had an interview with Columbia, how long after your interview did you hear back about your admission status?

Also, was the interview very casual conversation about the program?

Thanks so much!

The turn-around can be quick: I interviewed on 2/5 and was accepted yesterday. The interview was definitely very casual. We talked about the program and my interests/goals...no curveballs

The turn-around can be quick: I interviewed on 2/5 and was accepted yesterday. The interview was definitely very casual. We talked about the program and my interests/goals...no curveballs

Did you apply for the MPH-HPM program or MHA-HPM program?

I am visiting Emory next Friday, I am more than happy to share how it goes and try to answer any questions you may have. My heart is already set on Emory but I'm trying to keep my options open!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Decided to share my info, since I have been watching the forum for a while. Congrats to all on your acceptances so far!
For those who applied to Oregon MPH at OHSU, I just emailed them since an earlier email said we would hear by mid-late January and they said "We expect to have answers to students by the last week of this month."

That's amazing! Congrats! Is this a merit scholarship?
I assume so! It's called a Mission Award. I've been trying to do some Googling about it but can't find any information online. Also unclear if that's the lump sum or if it's annual. I guess I'll be emailing the financial aid office. Either way, super excited to be offered some money! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I assume so! It's called a Mission Award. I've been trying to do some Googling about it but can't find any information online. Also unclear if that's the lump sum or if it's annual. I guess I'll be emailing the financial aid office. Either way, super excited to be offered some money! :)
Congrats! Did they notify you via email?

Has anyone received emails from BU today?

Also does anyone know if they send acceptances regularly at the same time?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone received emails from BU today?

Also does anyone know if they send acceptances regularly at the same time?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I just got my acceptance last night--it seems like they send out acceptances irregularly. Essentially, they review your app as it comes in and then get back to you pretty fast. I think people have been getting accepted since early January and people like me who applied early January are just starting to hear back. I wouldn't worry about it too much! They send their acceptances out sporadically.

25k from Columbia heyoooo! Good news cause my day is horrid lol. Now this makes my decision process really hard!

Reactions: 13 users

I'm not too sure how Emory runs their program, but I did notice the difference in number of credits at the schools I applied to. After some digging on the website I found that Columbia and Drexel work on a quarterly system. So Columbia for example has 2 quarters in 1 semester, so 4 quarters for a school year. Drexel I believe has 3 quarters (not including summer). I'm assuming with each new quarter, we'll be taking a new set of classes. So, I think thats why they have higher credit requirements compared to other schools that have regular calendars based on semesters.

Not looking at cost, how would you rank your 3 schools?
So as of now it's UW > Berkeley > Columbia.

UW's COPHP/problem-based learning program is so intriguing and seems like it would give me a really solid grounding in the communication and collaboration skills I'd need as a public health practitioner working in community settings.

Berkeley is just a smidge under UW, though, and I would absolutely go there. I just got the student handbook emailed to me today, and the sample courses had me drooling. All the personal correspondence has been flattering, too. :)

Columbia sounds like they have a great social justice-oriented program and TONS of resources, but I remember seeing a lot of posts on here last year about how it felt really impersonal as a program. I also don't know that I want to be in NYC. It's still on the table, but Berkeley and UW definitely have more of my heart right now!

How about you? What are you thinking?

got into Arnold School of Public Health at the University of South Carolina! HPM

Reactions: 5 users
So as of now it's UW > Berkeley > Columbia.

UW's COPHP/problem-based learning program is so intriguing and seems like it would give me a really solid grounding in the communication and collaboration skills I'd need as a public health practitioner working in community settings.

Berkeley is just a smidge under UW, though, and I would absolutely go there. I just got the student handbook emailed to me today, and the sample courses had me drooling. All the personal correspondence has been flattering, too. :)

Columbia sounds like they have a great social justice-oriented program and TONS of resources, but I remember seeing a lot of posts on here last year about how it felt really impersonal as a program. I also don't know that I want to be in NYC. It's still on the table, but Berkeley and UW definitely have more of my heart right now!

How about you? What are you thinking?

I really enjoyed my visits to UNC and UMich, both have tremendous faculty and career preparation.

In regards to personal correspondence, I like that UMinnesota had a grad student reach out to me and GWU just had a professor email me to chat.

A lot of my colleagues are encouraging me to take a close look at Emory. It seems like I get an email from them everyday, kinda ironic since they don't even bother emailing you when the decision comes out on the portal.

I've yet to hear back from UW and Berkeley but I will take into consideration your thoughts on both schools.

Congratulations!! I'm waiting (im)patiently to hear from LSHTM. When did you apply?

Yale applicants, have you sent in your financial aid form or are you waiting to hear back from the school first?

Congrats! I have an interview with them this upcoming Friday :/ I think I may have gotten over my head applying to the Msc in Medical Statistics.

Hi guys! been following along for a while but I figured I'd join in now that we're getting to the decisions...
Undergrad School: Vanderbilt
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/3.6
Major/Minor: Public Health, Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 163 Q:159 W: 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
One summer of work in a hematology lab at CHOP
Currently employed as an epidemiology research assistant
Interested in: Epi
Applied: UW, Pitt, Emory, Yale, BU
Accepted: Pitt, Emory, BU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Having a really hard time figuring out where I want to be and I haven't even heard back from everywhere yet! I love love love Emory, great location and facilities, and as someone with a research interest in HIV/AIDS I couldn't ask for better. But one of my other acceptances gave me a scholarship that would make my whole degree cost $18,000....... Pretty hard to walk away from that! Got some big pro/con lists to make this month.

Hi guys! been following along for a while but I figured I'd join in now that we're getting to the decisions...
Undergrad School: Vanderbilt
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/3.6
Major/Minor: Public Health, Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 163 Q:159 W: 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
One summer of work in a hematology lab at CHOP
Currently employed as an epidemiology research assistant
Interested in: Epi
Applied: UW, Pitt, Emory, Yale, BU
Accepted: Pitt, Emory, BU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Having a really hard time figuring out where I want to be and I haven't even heard back from everywhere yet! I love love love Emory, great location and facilities, and as someone with a research interest in HIV/AIDS I couldn't ask for better. But one of my other acceptances gave me a scholarship that would make my whole degree cost $18,000....... Pretty hard to walk away from that! Got some big pro/con lists to make this month.
Oh man, that WOULD be hard to say no to! Maybe you can let Emory know that you've gotten a much more affordable offer and see if they can't throw some scholarship your way?

So much congratulations to Columbia Merit Award recipients.
I was also offered an award of $25,000 this afternoon from Columbia...decision making gets difficult.

Admitted to Johns Hopkins MSPH in International Health / Social and Behavioral Interventions! (2/12 @ ~10AM)
:D

Reactions: 4 users
Reading this thread makes me so nervous about my app to Columbia since I haven't heard from them. Yikes. And then I realized, I applied to the Accelerated Program for MD's, etc. Anyone else in my shoes? Congratulations to everyone who got into Columbia!

Do you mean Brown University or Washington University In Saint Louis Brown School? If the former, it seems they haven't sent out notifications yet.
@colombiancoffeemph I was talking about Brown School earlier and luckily I got accepted by UW too yesterday. So right now I am waiting for scholarship decision from UW so that I can easily make further decision based on the grants as well as ranking..

Does anyone know if schools consider your FAFSA complete if you haven't filed your taxes yet? Or will they not even look at your FAFSA until all the 2015 tax information is entered?

Congrats on your acceptances! May I ask how you heard from UW? Seattle? I applied to their MPH/RD program, had an interview Friday 1/22, and haven't heard anything yet.
@MPHNutritionHopeful : I was talking about Brown school earlier but now got accepted from UW too yesterday :) I have not been asked for interview or anything like that. Can I know when were you called for the interview? Now I am hoping if its not mandatory.

You don't need any research experience to get into MPH programs. My guess is your rejection from UW stems from low GPA, low verbal score, and the fact that your an international student (UW is a public school and OOS schools tend to be less lenient than with in-state applicants). Obviously your grades and scores didn't keep you from getting into two top 15 schools, one with scholarship, so you are obviously doing well this application season.
@Kaku22$ thats sad to hear. But I guess they rejected you for not having research experience as your and mine scores are almost near and I am also a international student. but I got accepted by UW probably because of my research experience for a year....Anyways dont lose hope ...:)

Reading this thread makes me so nervous about my app to Columbia since I haven't heard from them. Yikes. And then I realized, I applied to the Accelerated Program for MD's, etc. Anyone else in my shoes? Congratulations to everyone who got into Columbia!

I also applied to the accelerated tract for MDs, and had the result back on 2/12. But the bad news is that I have not received any financial aid notification so far.

I also applied to the accelerated tract for MDs, and had the result back on 2/12. But the bad news is that I have not received any financial aid notification so far.

Haha. Good to know. I haven't heard anything from them yet. I guess I got rejected, then.

I wonder if UW will put out any decisions today. I think they released some on 02/09 last year (which was a Monday). Has anyone heard anything for Global Health?
Yeah got accepted by UW for Global Health yesterday. You might be hearing soon as well. Good Luck!