New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And when you receive your mail:

Dear wednesday0012,

We would like to inform you that we have reached a decision regarding your application and that you will be hearing from us soon! Keep checking your mail!

Sincerely,

NYIT-COM Admissions Team
If they do that I think I would actually have a mental breakdown! It's been 4 months since my application date, it's been long enough of a wait at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I live like 30 minutes away from the school, so hoping I see something today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Called and waitlisted... Looks like the wait lists are coming. Sorry guys :(

ugh well that sucks!! Im sorry, im assuming im also waitlisted, i feel like the next batch is all the waitlists!!

ugh well that sucks!! Im sorry, im assuming im also waitlisted, i feel like the next batch is all the waitlists!!

Most likely, unfortunately! I've only been waiting since November..so that is probably the case, sadly :(

Sorry to hear that...I'm going to assume I am also wait listed which from what I have read in previous threads is a death sentence. Well hopefully the other school I interviewed at(sackler) will accept me...

Most likely, unfortunately! I've only been waiting since November..so that is probably the case, sadly :(

Ugh it okay, luckily I don't even care hahah, I wasn't gonna go to to NYIT anyway, and if it is a wait list, I'll likely throw it away and move on from my life. I'm very excited to save almost 25k a year by going to LECOM-B

I'm pretty sure I'm wait listed too, since it's coming in the same batch. Sucks since this was actually my first choice school, and I didn't want to have to leave my family for school. My birthday is in a few days when I'll be likely getting my wait list. Just when I think nyit can't mess up my life anymore than they already did they found a way! Kind of have to commend them on that.

Yeah this definitely sucks since it was my first choice... Unfortunately this must be why some of us were waiting much longer than others..

Members don't see this ad :)
So, they are sending out waitlist letters instead of acceptance letters from this point on? Dang.

Most likely for those of us who were waiting from September on.. I guess people with interviews coming up still have a chance

Most likely for those of us who were waiting from September on.. I guess people with interviews coming up still have a chance

I interviewed early December. I should probably call up tomorrow.

When you called and asked for your status they told you that you were waitlisted? I'm surprised they gave you that information over the phone.

When you called and asked for your status they told you that you were waitlisted? I'm surprised they gave you that information over the phone.

I called a specific person in admissions who I had previously emailed.

EDIT: but admissions should be able to tell you if a decision has been made and mailed out to you (as long as you get someone friendly/helpful)

Last edited:
I called a specific person in admissions who I had previously emailed. If you would like his info you can PM me. But don't want to put it on here so every person starts calling him lol

EDIT: but admissions should be able to tell you if a decision has been made and mailed out to you (as long as you get someone friendly/helpful)
Thank you!

Question to anyone who has looked over the old threads: do you recall seeing people receive waitlists and acceptances in the same "batch" or do they typically group letters by decision? I remember them sending waitlsts much later in the cycle from previous threads.

Question to anyone who has looked over the old threads: do you recall seeing people receive waitlists and acceptances in the same "batch" or do they typically group letters by decision? I remember them sending waitlsts much later in the cycle from previous threads.

Two years ago in March - people were both waitlisted and accepted in the same few days

A few years ago I saw several people who interviewed in the first few months receive their wait list letters in January. The others waitlisted are usually the people who interview March and April (in another years case the remainder of wait lists actually started right after February 24th interviews). So it seems on trend that if you interview in the first few months and don't hear by the holidays you are wait listed. I saw that trend on 2 different years threads. As for the other post about March--most were waitlisted then with the exception of a few who were accepted who must have had real stand up applications

For what it's worth, I interviewed mid-November, called this afternoon and luckily got someone who was willing to check my file. I was told no decision had yet been made. Who knows what's going on with the first few months of interviews.

A few years ago I saw several people who interviewed in the first few months receive their wait list letters in January. The others waitlisted are usually the people who interview March and April (in another years case the remainder of wait lists actually started right after February 24th interviews). So it seems on trend that if you interview in the first few months and don't hear by the holidays you are wait listed. I saw that trend on 2 different years threads. As for the other post about March--most were waitlisted then with the exception of a few who were accepted who must have had real stand up applications
Do yo think early November is early enough for me to be worried? I guess I'll call if I dont get anything tomorrow.

Do yo think early November is early enough for me to be worried? I guess I'll call if I dont get anything tomorrow.

I'm not really sure. That's when I interviewed. I just have spent a lot of time going over old threads and even figuring out when the first round of interviews started in previous years. I just couldn't find a single person who interviewed before the holidays and waited as long as we had to wait, or unfortunately, was accepted after waiting past the holidays. I was hoping this year would be different since they started interviews early but unfortunately for me that wasn't the case..

Sorry to not seem so optimistic! Lol I am just going by the trends I've seen going all the way back to 2012

They send out wait list and acceptence at the same time, from what I saw in the previous threads usually it's more wait list than acceptence in these batches. But that's going by what people post. There could be tons of people lurking the threads and don't post. I wouldn't go by what you see here as the general. We're only a handful of people there's hundreds of students who are being accepted and wait listed. The reality could be very different.

They send out wait list and acceptence at the same time, from what I saw in the previous threads usually it's more wait list than acceptence in these batches. But that's going by what people post. There could be tons of people lurking the threads and don't post. I wouldn't go by what you see here as the general. We're only a handful of people there's hundreds of students who are being accepted and wait listed. The reality could be very different.

That's also true! We are only seeing what the few people on this site post

Wait listed today, interviewed 9/23/2015.

I will refrain from ranting about the false hope of interviewing early and the nearly 4 month wait (supposed to be 4-6 weeks). In my current mood I am going to count this as a rejection. Would have loved to be a part of the DPC program here.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait listed today, interviewed 9/23/2015.

I will refrain from ranting about the false hope of interviewing early and the nearly 4 month wait (supposed to be 4-6 weeks). In my current mood I am going to count this as a rejection. Would have loved to be a part of the DPC program here.

Did you call or receive answer by mail?

Waitlisted as well, can't say it's been a pleasant experience dealing with them. I'm more than happy to go to my other school. Goodluck to the rest of you.

Reactions: 2 users
After 4 long months of waiting, I finally received the wait-list letter, needless to say I ripped the paper and threw it out, I didnt even want to go here, but wanted closure from this school. I feel like it is extremely unprofessional for the school to make us wait this long, it says a lot about the school, and the administration, I never got a good vibe from the school anyway, interview day was crap, dont mean to bash the school, but come one 4 months? thats a joke.. I am sorry for the people who go wait-listed, and actually wanted to go here, hopefully they accept you later. Good Luck everyone, rooting for all of you, as for me, I am ready to move to FLORIDA;)

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck
After 4 long months of waiting, I finally received the wait-list letter, needless to say I ripped the paper and threw it out, I didnt even want to go here, but wanted closure from this school. I feel like it is extremely unprofessional for the school to make us wait this long, it says a lot about the school, and the administration, I never got a good vibe from the school anyway, interview day was crap, dont mean to bash the school, but come one 4 months?
Exactly! I don't want to bash a school especially if it's somewhere some of you are going. But jeez 4 months of wait to get back. That's insane! It's completely unprofessional. This process really made me dislike the school even though I wanted to go here for personal reasons. The previous years threads, when the current students posted they mention how unhappy they were with the administration there. How they felt unsupported in the medical school and aparnetly they have bad communication with the 3rd and 4th year students. I don't want to seem like I'm calling the grapes sour but I personally feel like I dodged a bullet cause I'd be going there if I got in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed early november, OOS, called yesterday and they said a letter was coming, so beginning to panic

Just called, and the letter was mailed on Friday. Panic mode on high right now. Interviewed early November.

Wait listed today. This isn't a top choice for me, but I can't get greedy with picking and choosing schools. So far this is the only one I've heard from and received an interview. So for now I'm hoping to be accepted from the WaitList

Reactions: 2 users
Wait listed today. This isn't a top choice for me, but I can't get greedy with picking and choosing schools. So far this is the only one I've heard from and received an interview. So for now I'm hoping to be accepted from the WaitList
Since they started the wait list early I'm expecting there will be early movement off the wait list. So don't loose hope, especially since it's the first couple. So you're likey high up on the wait list. I personally don't wanna deal with them after all of this, but I do have a good feeling that they will likely start taking people off the wait list earlier this year.

Also waitlisted and interviewed 3+ months ago. I called recently and they actually couldn't find one of my rec letters that a professor sent to them, not sure if it would have made a difference but still upsetting. What also confuses me is my interviewer kept telling me how great and interesting my responses were to their questions, and I'm not sure why they would keep saying that if they knew that they were just going to rate me low after it all.

With your numbers? How do you feel the interview went?

With your numbers? How do you feel the interview went?
Honestly I thought it went really well, I was very happy with my conversation with the guy. I don't have as many clinical experience hours, so maybe that hurt me. And no DO shadowing, just MD.

Honestly I thought it went really well, I was very happy with my conversation with the guy. I don't have as many clinical experience hours, so maybe that hurt me. And no DO shadowing, just MD.

DO shadowing isn't really a requirement. My friend got accepted last cycle without DO shadowing.

hey guys, just felt like i should let you guys know my current situation..
so i called the admissions not too long ago, told the lady that im not at the address that the system has currently
she told me the letter was sent on the 4th. now from the look of things.. this doesnt seem to be a great sign since everyone is saying that they have been sending out waitlist batches..
i asked her if they have been sending out waitlist batches, she replied saying that they have been sending out waitlist and rejection letters
so i asked her if theyve been sending acceptances as well, and she said yes.
but who knows.. my friend will be checking my mail for me later on today
hopefully it will be good news
either way, i will try my best to post the results even if it is not what i wanted
keep your head up, wish you guys the best

Playing devil's advocate- with your numbers and especially no DO shadowing, it could seem like you're applying there as a backup, which I know they really dislike. Obviously I'm just speculating, but, that's one thing you and I have in common is no DO shadowing.

Also waitlisted and interviewed 3+ months ago. I called recently and they actually couldn't find one of my rec letters that a professor sent to them, not sure if it would have made a difference but still upsetting. What also confuses me is my interviewer kept telling me how great and interesting my responses were to their questions, and I'm not sure why they would keep saying that if they knew that they were just going to rate me low after it all.
Same with my interviewer, he kept saying how he liked all the experiences I had with public health work and kept praising my application. Not sure what decided for them who to wait list and who to accept but a part of my feels like they wait listed everyone whose application they didn't review yet. Since when I called last week admissions officer I talked to said the committee wasn't meeting till this week. This many early interviewees getting waitlisted is completely unheard of.

My intrviwer also said the interview was a formality and not to worry cause they want to o see if you can communicate well, but I guess he was wrong.

Not sure what decided for them who to wait list and who to accept but a part of my feels like they wait listed everyone whose application they didn't review yet. Since when I called last week admissions officer I talked to said the committee wasn't meeting till this week.

I really hope that is true - I got WL as well this afternoon - it seems like everyone who has been waiting on SDN is waitlisted and with pretty good stats too