New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not bashing the school at all, I interviewed there and I honestly didnt like, the administration didnt seem to care about you, the students also seemed not too like it, and i just got a bad vibe from it.. I heard that there was a 10% percent attrition rate, and class size is much around like 300 students. Arkansas is a new campus, and I felt like NYIT didnt have its act together, like other interviews i went too! Also they told us that they would take 4-6 weeks to give an answer, and they took 4 months, and were constantly saying things like "were short-staffed," clearly they werent very organized and it was very unprofessional of them. Not saying it is not a good school, im sure it is, but it was not for ME, and I am glad I was waitlisted, because it confirmed my decision of not going there!

I've heard this was fixed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im not attending nyit arkansas got accepted to nyit ny.
Nyit Arkansas has better networking than acom or cusom.

On top of that acom lost a ton of its rotation sites this year, had massive attrition the past two years, and they are in trouble with the National som board.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When does NYIT COM start to get people off their Wait List?

When does NYIT COM start to get people off their Wait List?
Hey guys, hold on tight and don't lose hope. This process is so stressful and I completely understand since I was in the same position last year. They start taking applicants off the wait-list throughout the summer..up until orientation day. I actually got accepted a few days before orientation (Out of state, from NJ). Keep sending in your letters - yes they do see it even if they don't reply. When I went to orientation, they told me they read my letters.

Something lacking in your application?- do it and update them that you did it and explain what you learned from it. In my case, I needed a recent shadowing experience so I did that (wasn't DO, was MD but I did have a letter from a DO from previous experiences when I applied).
Start preparing for the next cycle if you really want it. - few of my classmates got accepted the 2nd time around.

The school is great. The class size is huge but they divided us into 4 groups f and its further divided for OMM labs, anatomy, doctor-patient relationship courses..so about 8-10 students at most per physician per lab session. Lectures start no earlier than 9a.m, and that's a plus. I know you may have read/heard folks stream lectures and we do, but this year (even professors are surprised by the turn out) that at least half if not the majority of students come to lectures. So the class dynamic is definitely different in my year compared to 2nd yr. For the most part, I go to lectures unless I really need that extra hour of sleep, but I make sure to attend the next lecture at 10 am. The faculty members are there for you. If you don't get it the first time, they will explain it thoroughly for you if you ask. The school wants you to succeed. I definitely feel challenged and stressed but at the same time I feel comfortable in the setting I am in. They have practice workshops for your patient encounters before your actual practical exam. They have practice sessions for OMM before an OMM practical. There are student academic scholars (third year students who are completing a masters program) who are also there during OMM sessions and anatomy lab to help you understand.

I could go on but if you have specific questions for waitlist, the school, etc I can try answering in the best way I can.

Reactions: 1 user
I know its early but, out of curiosity, does anyone know how we go about finding housing??

Im not attending nyit arkansas got accepted to nyit ny.
Nyit Arkansas has better networking than acom or cusom.

On top of that acom lost a ton of its rotation sites this year, had massive attrition the past two years, and they are in trouble with the National som board.

Just wondering where you got this information from?

Accepted!!! Got the envelope today, my interview was only a few weeks ago (1/14).

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering where you got this information from?

I interviewed and was subsequently accepted at both.
Was sent packets and questionaires with affiliations and future plans.
I called and asked particular questions about outlook of each school
E.x. (accreditation status reaching full, building on site teaching hospitals, research laboratories, residency placement parameters, and rotation affiliations)

I was met with long pauses and dead silence.
In addition acom had a massive attrition rate over the past 2 classes. And lost many rotation sites

Members don't see this ad :)
Also interviewed 1/14 and accepted! Got my letter last night

Got accepted to NYIT Arkansas interview 1/26/16 got my acceptance packet 2/1/16.

NYIT says they go through apps based on mcat score rank....for those of you who recently got accepted would you mind sharing your stats? PM is fine too. Congrats!

NYIT says they go through apps based on mcat score rank....for those of you who recently got accepted would you mind sharing your stats? PM is fine too. Congrats!

Do you know if that is before the interview or after?

they told me they review apps based on mcat (and gpa..but not really) before the interview
I see, that explains why I got my interview invite in 2 days and then got wait-listed 126 days after my interview

Reactions: 2 users
they told me they review apps based on mcat (and gpa..but not really) before the interview
At least you got an interview. I had to wait from the day the app opened until January to get an II for the Arkansas campus.
Submitted in September. 3.6/513. No word since (after updates and e-mails). Oh NYIT...

when do classes start? first day of orientation?

Last edited:
Nycom is a great school, awesome rotations, good location;
but it's too lone wolf for me, everyone goes to class and leaves directly after.
It's by definition a commuter school.

Nycom is a great school, awesome rotations, good location;
but it's too lone wolf for me, everyone goes to class and leaves directly after.
It's by definition a commuter school.

I get the same feeling but I was planning on applying to the DPC curriculum which would seem to help since there's only about 40 students in that curriculum.

I actually planned on enrolling into the dpc after my acceptance.

The issue I found was that the dpc is a much harder curriculum in respects to exams.
Your exams are written most of the time instead of multiple choice.

My friend was in the dpc class three years ago and he was telling me the trouble he had loosing points for spelling on micro bio portions ><

But he did say he became very close to his groups

I know there's a fb group made by a potential student but does anyone know if the SGA will make an official page?

The issue I found was that the dpc is a much harder curriculum in respects to exams.

My friend was in the dpc class three years ago and he was telling me the trouble he had loosing points for spelling on micro bio portions ><

That's weird about the spelling errors haha.

Do you know what the supplemental DPC application consists of? I was accepted to NYIT last week but I haven't received information about the DPC application.

when do classes start? first day of orientation?

I asked the admissions office a few weeks ago, and I was told 1st day of orientation was August 3rd, and classes begin August 8th.

Did anyone recently get an II and, if so, what are the dates available?

P.S. Does anyone have an idea of how full the class is?

Last edited:
^ I am interested as well about the strength of the rotations 3rd/4th year.

I wouldn't say it is harder, it is just different. I'm not sure if something changed since your friend came through, but my last two DPC exams were almost entirely multiple choice. And yeah, it is hard not to get close with 35 other people who you spend 10 hours a week with.

Welp, after 5 months of waiting I just received my waitlist letter :(

It totally does help. I'm with my DPC colleagues before and after class more often than not.

I'm not sure if you'd be aware of this, but do you know if a lot more people apply to DPC than get accepted into it? Just trying to gauge how competitive it may be.

I wouldn't say it is harder, it is just different. I'm not sure if something changed since your friend came through, but my last two DPC exams were almost entirely multiple choice. And yeah, it is hard not to get close with 35 other people who you spend 10 hours a week with.
What is your overall review of the DPC program? Would you say its worth it? I would love to get a better understanding of the program. If you want can we have a Skype conference call or a phone call so you can further explain it to me please. Thank you

I'm not sure if you'd be aware of this, but do you know if a lot more people apply to DPC than get accepted into it? Just trying to gauge how competitive it may be.
No, they are pretty hush about the whole process. I know there is always a waiting list and people frequently don't get in. This year, only one person switched from DPC to lecture after school started, so one person got off the DPC waitlist. The application process isn't too crazy, so if you're interested, you should apply! (I figured, I put sooo much effort into applying to medical school, what was one more essay?) Also, if you get accepted to NYIT, you can sit in on a DPC session and meet with the DPC director, which I hear boosts your chances of acceptance.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea if there has been or will be waitlist movement before the summer? Just debating whether I should give up on this school - waitlisted 1/13

What's the social scene like at the school?'aside from constant studying where do students go to socials and meet other students?

How is the housing situation around the campus. I am looking at rent prices around the area and they're NYC prices.

Does anyone have any idea if there has been or will be waitlist movement before the summer? Just debating whether I should give up on this school - waitlisted 1/13
Ya, the waitlist moves continously as people get accepted elsewhere and decline. If you got accepted elsewhere, I suggest putting the deposit down and staying on the waitlist.

How is the housing situation around the campus. I am looking at rent prices around the area and they're NYC prices.
Ya it's pricey..though if you can find a house to rent with other students...it comes out to 600-700 each. I'm renting part of a house and pay around 800.

What's the social scene like at the school?'aside from constant studying where do students go to socials and meet other students?

On campus, the social scene is not great. As an outer stater I do feel it's like a commuter school since a good number of the students are from the area (or most of my friends are) so they tend to go home/hang out with friends they have bonded with. That being said, its now the second semester so we know each other better and there are club events that I attend where I meet others..also there are events hosted by the SGA..there were ski trips, broadway shows, and there is also an upcoming bowling/hang out event that a majority of us are attending. There are also nice areas around here where I go with few of my friends after exams. So the campus is pretty dead to me but it is also what you make of it. Med students socialize while studying so there is a lot of that..especially before OMM practicals and standardized pt encounters :)

I am pretty sure there is always movement on the waitlist before and during the summer. I finished my application in mid-late January, interviewed late March, was waitlisted, and accepted sometime in May. Nothing to lose by writing emails to your interviewer! Good luck.

Yeah sadly it's a commuter school.
Not really much of a social scene
But if you want to meet other student doctors and go to clubs etc...
There's 2 other medical schools nearby you could hang out at.
E.x. hofstra or stony brook