Official 2012-2013 Nephrology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for your comments...I thought 100 applicants for 3 positions is more than enough for PD to recruit from...not sure what is the typical appl/position ratios?

Being a fellow, do u think PDs prefers residents over hospitalist/internist?
Thanks in advance for your reply..

not many "Residents" are applying for the Nephrology Fellowship,
So currently there is a very limited pool of potential candidates who have applied for the Nephrology Fellowship and PD's would have to select from that pool.

In my Nephrology program (which takes 3 candidates every year) only 100 applications were recieved (while more then 50% were from the working Hospitalists/Internists)....

Depending on the situation, probably they do. I will ask the PD.

My point was, that it is a good year to get metched into a good program, so that's very encouraging. I had told you exactly what the PD had told us all.. Good Luck all:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hast anyone got any new IV? seems like pretty much all the invitations are out?

Thanks for your comments...I thought 100 applicants for 3 positions is more than enough for PD to recruit from...not sure what is the typical appl/position ratios?

Being a fellow, do u think PDs prefers residents over hospitalist/internist?
Thanks in advance for your reply..

not many "Residents" are applying for the Nephrology Fellowship,
So currently there is a very limited pool of potential candidates who have applied for the Nephrology Fellowship and PD's would have to select from that pool.

In my Nephrology program (which takes 3 candidates every year) only 100 applications were recieved (while more then 50% were from the working Hospitalists/Internists)....

well I'll take less competition when I apply in a couple years :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Just joining the fellowship run. I hope that all the interviews aren't done. I just got one last week from Temple. Maybe by the end of next week everything will be done?

rejections from u of cinncinati, u of chicago, upmc, Colombia-MO

rejections from u of cinncinati, u of chicago, upmc, Colombia-MO

How many total programs did you apply to?

Any idea on how many you need to interview at to feel safe in the match?

How many total programs did you apply to?

Any idea on how many you need to interview at to feel safe in the match?

I think in general u need 5 interviews to feel safe...but this just an opinion of couple of friends I know...

Well, It is not over yet....I just gt 2 new iv today.....dmc and mayo clinic-az

Anybody have any idea about how many interview we need to match. I got a mail from a program about a prematch. I am thinking about it. How many itnerviews are enough for match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, all you need is one interview, but seven makes it almost for sure.

I thought there is no pre-match in nephrology...
minimum of 5 interviews needed so you can match comfortably..
Any ideas falks how to rank? if a program is really really interested in you and you rank them low in your ROL...would u risk your match chance with them if u don't match in your higher ranked programs?

As far as I know, there is no "trick" to making the ROL work best for you.

The matching algorithm favors the applicants' choices. Therefore, you should make a rank order list solely based on how much you like the program, essentially disregarding what the program thinks of you as a factor.

Congratulation ~~~ I hope everybody matched somewhere they like !!

Congrats to all who matched and best of luck to those who plans to scramble for a spot. Hope everyone get what they want in the end

It looks like our match was a disaster this year ; some facts:

-Number of applicants down 11% from last year which was already lower than the one before
-Unfilled programs 34
-Unfilled positions 47
-Unmatched applicants 42
-First time there were more positions than applicants so virtually everyone should be on
-We are only more competitive than ID because they had more unfilled positions

Link: http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/msmp/stats.html

Reasons?
Do not know; I think lack of jobs and low salaries are really having a negative impact in people's choices.

It looks like our match was a disaster this year ; some facts:

-Number of applicants down 11% from last year which was already lower than the one before
-Unfilled programs 34
-Unfilled positions 47
-Unmatched applicants 42
-First time there were more positions than applicants so virtually everyone should be on
-We are only more competitive than ID because they had more unfilled positions

Link: http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/msmp/stats.html

Reasons?
Do not know; I think lack of jobs and low salaries are really having a negative impact in people's choices.

Reasons? Namely because hospitalist jobs pay about the same as nephrology but work much, much fewer days and have no call from home. You go home from working as a hospitalist and sleep. As a nephrologist that pager can still go off on your call nights (all for the same pay as the hospitalist). Hospitalist jobs come a dime a dozen. Nephrology jobs are terribly saturated in big city markets. That is the answer for you.

Nephrology has become an FMG specialty. Hardly any of the applicants this year were AMG. Even FMG's were filling spots at top 10 programs.

Last edited:
Hi, do anyone have a guess about total no of nephrology fellowship positions in new york, new jersey area for visa requiring candidates.

Reasons? Namely because hospitalist jobs pay about the same as nephrology but work much, much fewer days and have no call from home. You go home from working as a hospitalist and sleep. As a nephrologist that pager can still go off on your call nights (all for the same pay as the hospitalist). Hospitalist jobs come a dime a dozen. Nephrology jobs are terribly saturated in big city markets. That is the answer for you.

Nephrology has become an FMG specialty. Hardly any of the applicants this year were AMG. Even FMG's were filling spots at top 10 programs.
NEPHROLOGY IS NOT A GOOD CHOICE. BUT IF YOU APPLY DON'T APPLY TO UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO. THEY DESCRIMINATE