Official 2013-2014 Nephrology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Georgetown, Brown, U Wisconsin Madison

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

I think I have gotten more interviews then I can attend. This might be a silly question, but what is the appropriate way to cancel/decline interviews? call or email?

Hi folks,

I think I have gotten more interviews then I can attend. This might be a silly question, but what is the appropriate way to cancel/decline interviews? call or email?

Unless the interview is this week, it doesn't matter, just do it now. Right now. Maybe yesterday if you can figure out how to make that happen.

I don't think I ever had a phone conversation with any program during either my residency or fellowship applications, it was all by email.

@MSKK3

How many do you plan to attend?

Looks like lot of members here have received more than 10 IVs.

So far, have Georgetown, University of Tennessee, University of Mississippi, and Virginia Commonwealth University

Got two more today: Allegheny General and Ochsner.

Members don't see this ad :)
1.University of Tennessee, Memphis
2.University of Florida, Jacksonville
3. Ochsner
4.University of Virginia Commonwealth
5.Methodist Hospital, Houston
6.Methodist Hospital, Dallas
7.Medical University of South Carolina
8.University of Texas-Galveston
9.University of Mississippi Medical Center
10.University of Miami/Jackson Memorial
11.LSU New Orleans
12.Texas A&M
13.WVSU

Last edited:
University of Nebraska today.
So far, Beystate/Tufts, Yale, Georgetown, Cleveland clinic, University of Florida, Maine, Henry Ford
Few more:
Uni of West Virginia, Univ of Virginia, U Conn, MGH, UIC, Brown, Uni of Tennessee, Jefferson Medical college, Cleveland Clinic, Georgetown, Indiana university, St Luise University, Univ of Nebraska

Few more:
Uni of West Virginia, Univ of Virginia, U Conn, MGH, UIC, Brown, Uni of Tennessee, Jefferson Medical college, Cleveland Clinic, Georgetown, Indiana university, St Luise University, Univ of Nebraska

congrats..are you going to attend all these interviews :)

how about programs from New york city.. so far only one person in this forum has had calls from them..

YAA! Got 9th interview at UTMB today for nephrology. How many should I interview at to match comfortably?

Last edited:
Have done my first interview: University of Mississippi. Other interviews coming up:

Medical College of Wisconsin
Georgetown University
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Tennessee
SUNY Upstate-Syracuse
Allegheny General
Ochsner Clinic
Medical University of South Carolina

Got another one today: University of Louisville

HI everyone, how are interviews going on? There is a lukewarm response this year in nephrology thread. how about posting interview experience?

Edit: Saw above post re: UCLA. Thanks!

Good luck everybody!!

Applied to 38 programs. Have 9 interviews and completed 2:

Drexel - Done
Temple - Done
Emory
Ohio State U
UAB
University of Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University
Brown
U Penn

Lets exchange thoughts about our interview experiences......

Last edited:
st.John , washington hospital center, albert einstein beth israel IV

Has anyone interviewed at BWH/MGH or Hopkins yet? How was the interview day?

BWH/MGH

you interview basically at both the hospitals. Excellent opportunity for research/ world renowned faculty. Four years program - good if your career path is research/ academic nephrology.

John hopkins - did they send invitations out ?

Any one interviewed at Northwestern/Rush or U of Chicago

has anyone interviewed at U penn yet? if yea, how was it.....

I would recommend avoiding Indiana University. I'm a resident at IU. I heard today that the program coordinator suddenly quit. Would strongly caution against going here as the dept does not communicate well, and since she is now gone, who knows what kinds of mistakes will be made. Best to avoid.

I would recommend avoiding Indiana University. I'm a resident at IU. I heard today that the program coordinator suddenly quit. Would strongly caution against going here as the dept does not communicate well, and since she is now gone, who knows what kinds of mistakes will be made. Best to avoid.

Don't worry dude, you'll match at IU. Good thing there's more than one position there, so no need to be a red herring. LMFAO

I recently resigned from nephrology fellowship after 2 month of joining , nephrology is waste of time , dealing with dialysis patients is not a fun at all, you learn every thing about nephrology in first one month then after that it will be just poring repetition , no good futur career after graduation , it is very difficult to find a job as a nephrologist and if you find any one it will be 120K in academic sitting , 150 general hospital and 160-170 in private practice , most of the jobs in remote areas , the health reforms are markedly affecting nephrology as nephrology has a single payor and under mercy if Medicaid , it is more productive , lucirative and easier to be hospitalist than nephrologist, do it only if you really love it.

I have interview at IU next week.. I did get email from PC last week

@docdoc123456

that's pretty discouraging for applicants this year..

What program did you resign ? Are they hiring new fellow ?

Isn't that NRMP violation ? I believe you can't resign in first 90 days else you receive lifetime ban on applying for fellowship in future