Official 2014-2015 ID Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U of Michigan today also.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys !!
Started interviewing....
My experience at SUNY Brooklyn :
3 clinical sites - kings county, UH brooklyn and VA hospital. UH brooklyn paper progress notes; rest all EMR
no VPN for either system per fellow
breakup of time: forgot this but most of the time is at kings county
weekend call 1/4 covering all 3 hospitals; 10 M service in PGY4 + 1M micro + 1M vacation
PGY5 schedule: dont recall
Lot of clinical diversity
Opportunities for clinical research + basic research +
Busy hospital but fellows list never exceeded 18 patients total incl. new consults
Fellows live in Manhattan & Brooklyn
Overall environment : relaxed
~16-20 faculty at all clinical facilities
Only toured UH brooklyn: v.v. old hospital but large center
Surrounding neighborhood: Brooklyn
LICH is no more a clinical site
Fellows career paths: J1 waiver ( fellow whom I met )
Total no. of interviewees: 5
Total no. of interviews w/ faculty members: 3

Pl feel free to add/comment !!!!!

And sorry I am on a service rotation so have been really really busy.., did get a few calls in the last couple of weeks :

LSU New Orleans
USF Tampa
LIJ New York
Mt Sinai Beth Israel, New York
U Mass, Worcester

Rejs:
BIDMC, Boston
Mayo clinic, Rochester
Vanderbilt

Please so post your interview experiences, it would be of great help to compile all of them so we know what we're in for !!!!!

waiting to hear back from Cornell, Columbia and Brown !
Anyone heard from them yet !?!?
Any of you heard from George Washington ??

Who wants interview impressions? You do! (Well, some of you, apparently.) Here's my first batch, alphabetically by state...

University Of Illinois - Chicago
Interview day: One of two applicants. No orientation, conferences, or presentations; just come in late-morning and start hammering out interviews (5 total, including PD). Good showing by fellows at lunchtime meet-n-greet (food will do that); they seemed pretty happy.
Program strengths, weaknesses, quirks:
- Relatively new PD makes flexibility a priority; everyone should get the type of fellowship training that best suits his/her career goals
- No formal system for funding people who want to do a third (or fourth) year, but they welcome it and find ways to make it happen
- ID service is primary admitting team for inpatients with HIV-specific issues; I'm assured that residents handle all the scut and overnight H&Ps and such, but the fellow still has to be called with the admission
- Specialty rotations include antimicrobial stewardship and STD clinic
- Extensive communication and collaboration between ID and Public Health, and with School of Pharmacy. MPH training available
- Near total lack of communication between ID and the basic science divisions. Opportunities exist but the trainee really has to take the initiative in making them happen
- Patient population; this is Chicago and it's both a state facility and a tertiary care center (and you work at the VA too, a few blocks away), so you really see everything

Oregon Health & Sciences University (Portland, OR)
Interview day: One of two applicants. Started with general orientation by associate PD (never met PD, who was away) and a too-brief chat with a couple of first-year fellows. Interview day included a lunchtime seminar and a chance to sit in with an inpatient team during (table) rounds. Four interviews total including associate PD; they were all slotted for 45 minutes so there was often sitting-around time between them.
- U hospital/VA are combined as a single service (buildings are physically connected). Also do a few months on Transplant ID alone with no residents
- Many specialty clinics including hepatitis
- Research months - really project planning - incorporated into first year; you're expected to figure out your exact career plans as you go (rather than before starting). Mostly clinical research.
- Not an official system for going more than two years, but everyone who's wanted to continue a research project has gotten an extra funded year. A few recent fellows are staying on; they feel like the program looked out for them
- Since taking over, division chief has heavily emphasized hiring more researchers, including basic science, as ID faculty. Historically limited interaction between basic and clinical sciences, but this is changing big-time
- Biggest research strengths: Virology, immunology
- Limited HIV training (in part due to patient population)

Medical College Of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, WI)
Interview day: One of two applicants. Started with clinical case conference; lots of collegial discussion amongst the faculty as they thought through the cases. Four interviews total, including PD and division chief. A few fellows showed for lunch, they seemed busy but it's what they signed up for. Tour at the end
- Very clinically oriented program. It's strictly two-year, with second year fellows doing basically the same stuff as first-years. Everyone is involved in some sort of scholarly project, but overall science-y options are limited
- Rough alternation between service months and electives/research/etc.
- General ID service (divided into "immunocompetent" and "immunocompromised") has been in high demand recently, people work hard and learn a lot. Likely to expand and create a specific transplant-ID service in the near future due to strong/growing renal transplant and BMT programs at MCW
- Weekend calls can be intense but never do more than 1 in 4
- Access to AIDS Resource Center for clinics (optional) for more complex HIV management
- Main hospital is in the suburbs, not Milwaukee proper. Also work at VA, about a 20 minute drive

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still getting interview invitations? Have any of you sent follow up emails to the program asking application status? I'm debating sending out a couple to some places I was really hoping to hear from. Any input is welcomed. Thanks guys!

Any of you at ID week? It's such a fantastic meeting.

Never heard, one way or the other, from Northwestern. Very strange.

Anyway, more impressions. Still have yet to interview at a program I didn't like.

University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA)

Interview day: One of four applicants. Started with a small fellow-led journal club, then a larger grand rounds; interviews and lunch with fellows (and a Microbiology Lab guy) were the bulk of the day, with a short tour at the end. Seven interviews total, including PD and division head; mostly quite casual. Of note, they asked for "requested faculty" in advance, and I got to meet everyone I asked for. Fellows seemed happy and accepting of their lot even when busy (they're down one fellow this year due to circumstances beyond anyone's control). Wasn't able to make it to the night-before dinner. Really impressive program overall, one of my favorites.
- Two year base program with T32s to accommodate the 3+ers; do not need to commit to a training length in advance
- Variety of final destinations for fellows
- Current setup (which may change) is three-week blocks, mostly in either general-ID at the main hospital or a combination VA-inpatient (light) and clinic, resembling a community practice. "Specialties" like transplant, ortho, peds are sprinkled in, some required and some elective. About 15 months of total clinical requirements before shifting to research
- On call on average 1/3 weekends during first year
- Not much in the way of global health, and apparently limited complex HIV. Otherwise a wide variety of urban and rural stuff as pretty much the referral center for the state. Pretty large transplant center
- Aspiring researchers pick a mentor during year 1 and are followed by a research committee. Able to work with anyone in the university
- Medium size ID department, many of the faculty with research projects and double-department appointments
- Particular strengths: epidemiology, inflammation/immunity, Staph, parasites

Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD)
Interview day: One of about eight applicants. Day started with case conference, which is the first I've seen in which faculty (not fellows) continually get "pimped" for their thoughts. Four interviews total, with a full hour (counting travel time between buildings) for each one, which was... well, a long time. Lunch and tour rounded things out. Almost everyone I talked to was pretty relaxed and down-to-earth. (There was also a night-before dinner.)
- Three-year program, trains mostly but not exclusively future academicians
- A variety of core rotations including Bayview campus (more burn/ski wounds) and inpatient HIV service (primary team on that ward). Rotate on transplant but transitioning to separate transplant-ID fellow
- EMR still in transition
- T32-funded. Tend to have scientists working as part of an investigator group for particular topics
- Particular strengths: Global health, TB (research, not as much clinically), HCV, HIV
- Salary for fellows considerably lower than elsewhere I've looked

University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC)
Interview day: One of two applicants. Met with PD one-on-one both at the beginning and near the end of the day; he's personally involved with keeping an eye on fellows' training and with exchanging e-mails with applicants. Sit in on grand rounds, then interviews; eight interviews total (asked to submit requests for particular interviewers in advance). Only met a few fellows, who were in good spirits that day.
- Very academically oriented three-year program (some stay longer) with a T32
- Public hospital and tertiary referral center
- Huge ID division, one of the biggest
- ~15 months clinical requirements, divided mostly between "immunocompetent" and "immunocompromised" services
- Access to a Translational Research Center, many basic scientists in collaboration with clinical researchers
- Particular strengths: Global health, HIV; bacteriology is a growing area

Duke University (Durham, NC)
Interview day: One of about eight applicants. This was a long interview day, almost all within the same few rooms. First we met as a group with the PD, who was very personable and approachable introducing the program; he also led the after-lunch tour. Then various people came by to give short presentations about facets of the program - interrupted one at time for 15-minute interviews with the division head. Afternoon tour included a stop in the micro lab for a short "plate rounds." Then four other interviews, and a late-afternoon case conference. Special mention to the night-before dinner; fellows seemed really excited to be there, great camaraderie. They tend to be on a first-name basis with some big names in the ID world.
- Three year T32 program geared towards academic physicians
- Just one intense year of "clinical" requirements, the rest is research time. Three-month blocks, divided between two Duke Hospital services (very very busy, often carry >30 pts), ID service, and transplant service (solitary)
- Average 13 weekends on call during training
- Close-knit department; almost all ID faculty are involved in research and know each others' work
- Can work with anyone in the Duke system as a research mentor; some even collaborate with UNC faculty
- Particular strengths: Bacteriology (esp. Staph), HIV... kind of everything, really

University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI)
Interview day: One of about ten applicants. Also a dinner the night before. Met with PD and associate PD as a group, then sat in on both a fellow journal club and a core-lecture-series type talk (both very entertaining). We were kind of left to find our own way around the building for interviews; total of five interviews of various lengths, including PD and associate PD. Best lunch, food-wise, of the whole interview trail thus far, and the only program that paid for my hotel.
- Base two-year program, many do three or four years
- Many T32s, with freedom to work with anyone at UW, and through the VA
- Two-week rotations with many optional electives (i.e. HepC, travel, peds). Gen-ID is especially busy, as is being on call with the antibiotic approval pager. Clinical duties continue through the end of year 2, meaning that most people who do research do a four-year program
- No clinic while on inpatient services. Clinics are run as group practices
- HIV exposure somewhat limited due to patient population
- Various fates for fellows (~60% academic, most research is clinical at the moment)
- Particular strengths: Infection control, fungi, drug development
- Overall, a wealth of opportunities for the aspiring scientists with very high success % for K-award applicants

Hope this kind of thing is helpful - if not to you, to future cohorts.

Hi guys. Can someone comment on the memorial sloan Kettering / NY Presbyterian hospital Cornell program ?

Or please, give me input on:
- NYU
- Memorial Sloan Kettering / NY Presbyterian hospital Cornell
- St. Luke's / Rosevelt
- Baylor / MDA
- UT Houston
- U of Illinois (Chicago)
- USF Tampa
- TUFTS Boston
- George Washington University Hospital

Which one should be my #1 (Regardless of city)

Come on guys. Please comment on these four at least!!
NYU
Baylor
Tufts
Memorial sloan Kettering

Please. Out of those four, which one is your #1??

Come on guys. Please comment on these four at least!!
NYU
Baylor
Tufts
Memorial sloan Kettering

Please. Out of those four, which one is your #1??
. At the risk of sounding unkind, I really hope you're not relying on the sd.net forums to make your rank list. Without knowing you, we can't comment on which program is best for your particular needs. Which appealed to you?

Of your long list, the only program with which I'm familiar enough to comment is UIC, and my impressions are above.

. At the risk of sounding unkind, I really hope you're not relying on the sd.net forums to make your rank list. Without knowing you, we can't comment on which program is best for your particular needs. Which appealed to you?

Of your long list, the only program with which I'm familiar enough to comment is UIC, and my impressions are above.

Thank you for your comments.
I am not relying on the SD.net forums to decide what programs I should rank or in what order. I already have a ranking list in my head.
I just like to hear people's opinions and read comments in case I find out stuff I didn't know or in case someone who knows the program from the inside has more info that could have been hidden during interviews.

I know a lot of people are ranking other things besides just programs. Like cities or locations or whatever it might be. In my case, I'm open to any place so that's why I wanna know about the programs and maybe one of you guys knows inner situations from any of those I posted.

And no. You didn't sound unkind. it's great that you replied!! Much appreciated!! :)

Thank you for your comments.
I am not relying on the SD.net forums to decide what programs I should rank or in what order. I already have a ranking list in my head.
I just like to hear people's opinions and read comments in case I find out stuff I didn't know or in case someone who knows the program from the inside has more info that could have been hidden during interviews.

I know a lot of people are ranking other things besides just programs. Like cities or locations or whatever it might be. In my case, I'm open to any place so that's why I wanna know about the programs and maybe one of you guys knows inner situations from any of those I posted.

And no. You didn't sound unkind. it's great that you replied!! Much appreciated!! :)
Okay, that makes sense.

As far as "inside" (not especially insider-y, but whatever) info about UIC, I didn't talk much about it above, but don't know if you knew that there was an upheaval there a couple years ago. Do not know the details at all (rumor mill says disagreements with the new chair of Medicine), but some of the guts of the ID division moved to Loyola, meaning that a lot of the current high-rollers at UIC are new-ish to their jobs. Obviously I can't say anything at all about how much this changeover tickled down to the fellowship level and did or did not change the quality of the program. Impression on a personal level is that the present regime seem to be very good people.

Just checking in after a hiatus..Too busy (lazy) to write impressions. But if anyone has questions that I could answer on the DC/Maryland/Phily/Virginia programs, will be glad to oblige. Its so hard to decide really as the time draws near for finalizing ranking especially when one has geographic considerations and when sometimes you can't really tell what was really different between 1 program and the next. I think at the end of the day, for any 2 programs you liked equally, just your gut feeling will make you place one above the other.

@ID/AFG Didn't interview in any of your programs....

Squeaking in at the last minute with a few more.

Washington University/Barnes-Jewish Hospital (St. Louis, MO)

Interview day: One of two applicants. Had to find our way to the back of an office area, then got shown around from interview to interview - total of 6 including PD and both of the co-division Heads. Actually went out for lunch with a few fellows rather than catered whatever; they seemed very happy with a lot of camaraderie among the group (the ones we met were all from the same cohort).
- Three year program (T32 funded) with a priority towards training academicians. One of the bigger programs with at least 5 fellows per year
- 10 months' inpatient in year one (schedule also includes micro lab and some elective time which can be used towards researching research mentors), 4 weeks in year two
- Reportedly very busy inpatient services including general and transplant med. Also rotate at VA. Occassional weekend call continues through the end of year 2
- Clinic includes both HIV and gen-ID patients all mixed together
- Have still not gone fully electronic with the EMR, although it's a work in progress
- Able to work with anyone in the WashU system for basic or clinical research. Inter-departmental collaboration in general is rampant
- Two co-Chairs of the division - one focused primarily on clinical research and one on basic science - both are very successful and accomplished guys whose #1 focus in life is reportedly training fellows. Fellows have frequent meetings with program leadership to assess progress of a project
- Particular strengths: Fungi (esp Cryptococcus), certain areas of HIV, bacteriology

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Pittsburgh, PA)
Interview day: One of about eight applicants. General intro given by division chair, PD, and associate PD. Then interviews (four total include PD, co-PD, and others based on requests) and lunch with the candidates and the micro lab director. After a break, those who didn't have to skip town right away could hang around for Grand Rounds.
- Base two-year program, most of the core clinical requirements done by early year 2. Program leadership heavily involved in deciding whether they'll support a third year depending on the fellow (built-in funding is for one third-year per year)
- Highly variable census on different teams. Most of time is on gen-med at UPMC and VA, numerous shorter rotations in transplant, surg-ID, peds-ID, satellite hospitals, etc.
- First-year clinic involves rotating through different blocks at U and VA under attending's name; year 2 clinic is more of a continuity panel
- Most mentors are within ID division, but not exclusively
- Multiple global health options
- Research people present to program leadership q6mo, kinda like a committee meeting
- Access to translational research consortium
- Hiring freeze at the moment, but this is expected to change
- Particular strengths: Solid organ transplant ("transplant capital"), HIV, MDRO, stewardship. Weaker in tropical medicine and BMT

University of Washington (Seattle, WA)
Interview day: One of about ten applicants. We met at first for overview and were greeted casually by all of the bosses. Had a total of six interviews driven in part by online request forms (for me included PD, assoc PD, interim division chair [chair is on sabbatical]). Everyone seemed familiar with each others' work, and everyone was on a first name basis. Lunch was attended by the highers-up as well as fellows, all casually talking in a large group setting. We got more time with the fellows during (optional) case conference at the end of the day. The day I interviewed they were having a reception for the fellows, applicants invited too.
- Three year program with extensive academic pedigree and two T32s
- Take up to eight fellows per year
- Biggest ID division pretty much anywhere, and more funding than pretty much anywhere else. They are divided across several hospital sites (and the Hutchinson Cancer Center) in the area
- Rotate at three hospital sites - UW hospital is the primary referral site for a five-state area while downtown Harborview serves more of the greater King County population. And there's a VA. Also rotate on BMT and solid-organ transplant
- Wide variety of cases; lots of unusual things
- Researchers have copious options as far as mentors; some work with multiple people. Regularly checking in with PD and co-PD throughout training. There's also a block of time to identify a mentor during first year, although most have at least a general notion coming in
- High success rate for K awards
- Particular strengths: HIV, infection control, bacterial pathogenesis in general

Okay, that's a lot of interviewing. Fun times, though. I'm going to be ranking everywhere I interviewed, and pretty much know the order. But it's a choice between multiple amazing programs and others that are merely very good. Good luck to everyone!

Wow @Lifelong Student that was indeed a lot of interviewing for you and hats off to you for taking the time out to write your experiences. I am pretty certain you are gonna to match at your top choice! Best wishes for the Match guys and gals..!!

Where is everyone in these last hours when all your support and insights are most needed :)! am I the only one agonizing about my ROL..? I blame it on my PC for scheduling me on a light rotation this very week!!!
I am not ranking some places purely do to location..should I email them about my decision or not?

I am not ranking some places purely do to location..should I email them about my decision or not?
This is second-hand info, but back during Residency applications, "they" told me there's no need to e-mail someone you're not ranking. Besides being awkward, supposedly the match algorithm just drops those who didn't rank a program and moves on to the next choice. If that's true, a program loses nothing whatsoever from ranking someone who didn't rank them back.

Where is everyone in these last hours when all your support and insights are most needed :)! am I the only one agonizing about my ROL..? I blame it on my PC for scheduling me on a light rotation this very week!!!

I am also agonizing. You're definitely not the only one.
I can't decide if I want to go to a very good top place vs staying in the same city where I'm doing residency, where my medium quality fellowship program already knows me and where my husband will be for one more year.
It is incredible how applying is much more than just applying to a program. I really want to go to a top notch program and my husband supports me and says he'll travel and that it's just a year. But I just don't know if it's the right thing to do from my part. I kind of feel guilty.
I'm sorry to bother all of you guys with my stupid personal stuff. It's just that application season for me is much more than just applications and it's good to let it go with unknown people, who are going through the same process.

I wish you all good luck and I hope everything works out for you all!

I am in the exact same place - both great programs, and both places that I would probably be very happy - but do I stay where I am (good program that feels safe and comfortable and where my family is located) or drag my family across the country to a very good top program, but where we will have to start over yet again... Staying where I am may help me ease into my future job, especially if it is in the same place - I'm just not 100% confident if this is what I want. While going somewhere new may open up many other doors I hadn't thought about before (or maybe I will just want to come back, in which case maybe I should have just stayed in the first place...)??

These decisions only get harder!

I wish you guys the best in the days to come! Hope we all land into our programs and/or places of choice !!!!!

Got my #2 choice! It's been a pleasure being part of this thread this time around (was a watcher but not a participant for residency applications); hope everyone landed somewhere great!

Matched at #2..congrats everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Matched # 2 of my ROL. Great feeling..congrats everyone. BTW it is Case Western. any body else..

Congrats guys got pre matched in nyc. Thanks.

Pay it forward. Will you?

So US news and world report does not rank ID programs in the country!
http://blogs.jwatch.org/hiv-id-obse...ases-ranking-is-that-a-good-thing/2013/07/20/

Pretty demeaning.

Now that you guys have interviewed and matched, would you be interested in ranking the best ID programs in the country? Since the personal ranking list depends on individual preferences, lets take those confounding factors (location, salary etc.) out of the equation and make the list as general as possible, based mainly on academics and research.

Let me see if I can start the list myself:

1. Johns Hopkins
2. Harvard
3. UCSF
4. Stanford
5. Yale
6. UPenn
7. Mayo
8. University of Washington

Pay it forward. Will you?

I know it’s a long shot, but is anyone aware of ID program looking for a fellow for July 2015 (a last moment cancelation etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.