Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup, Leospaceman, I also see 5 blued out among my programs.
I still want to add my 4th letter from a pulm attending I worked with which is still pending, guess I will add it to programs whenever I get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Any chance you guys could share which ones are already Blue'd Out ?

I sent 3 manuscripts in for publication and one just got accepted for publication in September. The issue is that I listed them as peer review other than published (submitted). should i email programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a while just wanted to know if anyone had issues with uploading their photo?
I've uploaded the picture like 3 times resizing it to the recommended sizes. Each time I'm getting an email saying the photo isn't the correct dimensions, I've triple checked that it is the correct dimensions.

Anyway, just got an invite for interview at Winthrop, very excited!!

EDIT: I figured out the picture thing, it finally uploaded properly

Last edited:
So... to feed our collective OCD, and as I have boatloads of time, here is the invite list for last year up until end of July (compiled from last year's thread on this forum)...
7/16: OSU
7/18: Albany
7/19: UPMC
7/20: Allegheny
7/24: UMaryland, BUMC, NBIM, UCinn
7/25: Carilion, Penn State, UChicago, UVa, Yale, Alabama
7/27: Nebraska, Indiana
7/29: Columbia, UTSW, CCF, Arizona
7/30: UTMB, Loma Linda
8/1: Hopkins, Mayo, BWH, UCLA, Rochester
8/2: USC

Enjoy....

Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a while just wanted to know if anyone had issues with uploading their photo?
I've uploaded the picture like 3 times resizing it to the recommended sizes. Each time I'm getting an email saying the photo isn't the correct dimensions, I've triple checked that it is the correct dimensions.

Congratulations! You start our season..

Hey guys,

Congrats !
That was fast :)

How many programs did you all apply to?

Couple questions about the CHEST conference and impacts on applications (next year for me). I received the following:

1. Presentation in slide form at CHEST 2014
2. Publication in the CHEST online supplement in October 2014

Questions:
1) I was expecting to do a poster...I was surprised to be asked to give a slide presentation...is that generally considered equivalent, worse or better than a poster presentation, or does it really not matter. (I realize one presentation will not make or break an application, just curious).
2) I am planning to submit the manuscript for publication in the coming weeks...but would you list publication in an online supplemental in the publication section? If the full text is published, would you still list both, or just the full text one? And lastly, do all the accepted presentations (poster, slide, others) end up in the online supplemental? I know that a few others in this thread will be presenting...did they mention publication in the online supplemental?

Good morning everyone, my question.... do we get invitations/rejections to the university email address provided or some place in ERAS?

No idea what the different color means, but I don't think it has anything to do with being viewed. I got the Winthrop IV as well and it's still black.

Good morning everyone, my question.... do we get invitations/rejections to the university email address provided or some place in ERAS?
In your profile in ERAS there's a place to put preferred correspondence e-mail.

No idea what the different color means, but I don't think it has anything to do with being viewed. I got the Winthrop IV as well and it's still black.

Oh wow! good to know.. all the nephro/ID/endo peeps applying with me are getting IVs already..hope it's my turn soon.

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you send out your preferred interview date and time? Did the coordinator confirm the date with you if you did?

Couple questions about the CHEST conference and impacts on applications (next year for me). I received the following:

Questions:
1) I was expecting to do a poster...I was surprised to be asked to give a slide presentation...is that generally considered equivalent, worse or better than a poster presentation, or does it really not matter. (I realize one presentation will not make or break an application, just curious).
2) I am planning to submit the manuscript for publication in the coming weeks...but would you list publication in an online supplemental in the publication section? If the full text is published, would you still list both, or just the full text one? And lastly, do all the accepted presentations (poster, slide, others) end up in the online supplemental? I know that a few others in this thread will be presenting...did they mention publication in the online supplemental?

A slide presentation is an considered cooler. It still counts as the same "abstract" as a poster, but if it's a presentation it means that people are more interested in the topic.

this is what happens every year, pulm/cc, cards, and H/O take their tme getting back to people. Of course for them it's a sellers market.
yup, and nephro/endo want to snag/pre-match people as soon as they can. I know, and yet can't help the craziness. It's a relatively quiet friday night moonlighting spot feeding the anxiety, can't say am not enjoying it a little bit too. 2 admissions since 4.30 pm - ridiculous!

How come no one answers my questions. I was just asking for opinion guys. Btw someone from my program got Albany IV

Questions:

Oral slide presentation is a considerable honor (fewer people invited to give oral presentation than poster presentation). Your subject peaked the interest of the faculty reviewers. Congrats. And instead of bring a poster to Austin, you just need a USB and powerpoint. Be sure to practice your oral presentation with faculty (for feedback) before you head to Austin.

BTW, this may be useful to anyone giving a presentation at Chest (it's a few years old but always relevant)

The oral presentation, or poster presentation, is listed in supplemental in Chest. If you are able to publish the full text somewhere, I would definitely list that, and list the CHEST online supplemental citation with your oral presentation

Thank you Phur and Leo Spaceman..u guys r really helpful. I am applying for PCCM as well. But I'm an IMG with H1B visa. I believe that's a bad combination. Which I don't understand...why J1 programs don't wanna consider my application even if I wanna change my visa to J1 :-(
Even in my ERAS application I opted for both H1b and J1.

Hello I submitted an manuscript and it is pending accepted or denied do I put it as peer reviewed other than published ?

Just wondering if the poster presentation at CHEST is hang your poster and the general attendees walk by and you just talk to them about your poster or will it be like ATS poster discussion sessions? As I got massacred on mine at ATS.

Also application submitted, the waiting begins!

Last edited:
Just wondering if the poster presentation at CHEST is hang your poster and the general attendees walk by and you just talk to them about your poster or will it be like ATS poster discussion sessions? As I got massacred on mine at ATS.

There will be moderators , maybe in your case they were a bit tough.

You probably got unlucky with a nitpicky sort. Was my 2nd time at ATS this May, everybody was pretty pleasant and laa-di-daa.

should i email programs that my one of my manuscript have been accepted and will be published? I put it as "submitted" in my application but got acceptance email few days after my application is already in. Do you guys think it will help to email programs about it or not ?

There will be moderators , maybe in your case they were a bit tough.

I had a similar experience with a poster presentation at ATS a few years ago. One of my moderators was a big ARDSnet guy, while I didn't necessarily get massacred, he did pick me apart a bit. Overall though, most everyone I talked to was cool and it was a great learning experience. Ultimately, the grilling I took about my research project made my subsequent research project better.

Reactions: 1 user
There are self-important dick heads at every big meeting. I've presented a decent amount now and most of the time the experience things are benign especially if you are a resident or fellow.

This last ATS I had a PhD give me a bunch of crap. But whatever. You can't know every little aspect of any given topic. There is also no way you could have covered every detail in the science. So let the folks that want to be dicks be dicks and know that they are unhappy people and don't let it bother you too much. Anyone who needs to give a trainee a hard time is a bully and that's it.

any ideas if its too late for apply for pulm/CCM? had a late change of mind. thanks.

Hi Every one. I am new to the forum. Good luck to you all for the season. Just checking how many of the programs already downloaded applications. Did people start gettings IVs?.

Ha thanks guys for the kind words. The whole ATS conference was a great experience, and most people I met were super nice. Got some great advice from the fellows at the conference and attendings. I think I just got frustrated as I felt embarrassed if front of a large crowd when I couldn't answer all the questions. That is why I was inquiring if CHEST will be a discussion session or just poster presentation. I like the poster presentation as I feel its more one on one and relaxed. Look forward to CHEST regardless, hopefully Austin is as nice as San Diego...

Good luck to everyone applying. And Promimal-tubule, its definitely not too late to apply, its only July. Just work on getting your LORs in quickly and your PS ready in the next couple weeks.

any ideas if its too late for apply for pulm/CCM? had a late change of mind. thanks.

It's not too late to submit your application. However, getting some of the supporting documentation for your application, such as LORs, may take awhile.

New to posting on sdn. Got Winthrop interview. I think this is how it works for the master list, right?:

Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany

Rejections:

New to posting on sdn. Got Winthrop interview. I think this is how it works for the master list, right?:

Interviews:
Winthrop
Emory
Albany

Rejections:
Thank you for posting...suggestion: dates IV received/alphabetical order to be of use to current/future years' posters.
And if you wouldn't mind credentials would be useful too.

thanks for the reply. do most pulm/CCM programs require Step 3 to be written before consideration for interview?

thanks for the reply. do most pulm/CCM programs require Step 3 to be written before consideration for interview?

Why didnt you take this test in residency like everyone else who will be applying? It looks weird. Will be a problem.

There are a few states that require a trainee to have a full license by this point and you obviously can't get a state medical license without step three.

PD's may give exactly ****-all about the score on step three but most are going to care if you haven't taken and passed it yet because its weird.

Hey @gutonc when do we get to have our own sub-forum like the rest of the "popular" sub-specialties?

Based on a causal look at the replies per application thread, I think we are right in there.

Who do I even need to talk to in order to get a redress of grievances around here anyway?

Reactions: 2 users
Any new today anyone? Dead silence in my inbox - driving me insane. Didn't apply to Albany/Winthrop, no reply from Emory. Sigh!

Same here. Didnt apply to Albany/Winthrop n no reply from Emory/Wash U. Its all silence..still waiting for 4th LOR which, hopefully I ll get by Friday at least. May apply to a few more programs then if the silence continues...

Same here. Didnt apply to Albany/Winthrop n no reply from Emory/Wash U. Its all silence..still waiting for 4th LOR which, hopefully I ll get by Friday at least. May apply to a few more programs then if the silence continues...
Thanks! Was starting to get paranoid thoughts:eek: :wacky::ninja: about something missing in my application and the obvious paranoid thought - did any of my letter writers secretly screw up my letters :D, and obviously my depersonalized self tells me to shut-up and stop being stupid - should listen more

Its so silent in here. My inbox is dead. Anyone heard anything. Interviews/rejections?

@gutonc

I do notice we are still the backwaters.

Who do we need to send the coke and hookers to in order to move this thread to its OWN well earned sub forum??