Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the ''IMG friendly'' PCCM programs out there? Can someone throw light on this plz?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the ''IMG friendly'' PCCM programs out there? Can someone throw light on this plz?

I can't really speak for any programs outside the west coast, but UCSF-Fresno and Banner-Good Samaritan in Phoenix seem to be pretty IMG friendly. I would also look into CPMC in SF as well as LAC+USC and Harbor-UCLA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who is an IMG and matched into Pulmonary/CC fellowship last year at Mayo Arizona

Tis the toppest spot there is!
Talking to some of the Pulm faculty where I work now, they think that Pittsburgh's Critical Care research is dominated by non-Pulm boarded (e.g. CCM fellowship only) faculty. This might explain why Eruethemar notes they don't have great success in Pulm/CC fellows obtaining K awards. They also say this about Stanford. I've spoken to some faculty who feel that the Pulm/CCM co-fellowship is a dinosaur and will be replaced in popularity by CCM or Pulm only (kind of like Canada where you don't really find the co-fellowship).

Any thoughts on the current state of Pulm/CCM fellowship compared to CCM only - particularly for those of us who see ourselves doing CCM primarily and aren't looking to slide into a late-career job in a sleep or PFT lab?

Talking to some of the Pulm faculty where I work now, they think that Pittsburgh's Critical Care research is dominated by non-Pulm boarded (e.g. CCM fellowship only) faculty. This might explain why Eruethemar notes they don't have great success in Pulm/CC fellows obtaining K awards. They also say this about Stanford. I've spoken to some faculty who feel that the Pulm/CCM co-fellowship is a dinosaur and will be replaced in popularity by CCM or Pulm only (kind of like Canada where you don't really find the co-fellowship).

Any thoughts on the current state of Pulm/CCM fellowship compared to CCM only - particularly for those of us who see ourselves doing CCM primarily and aren't looking to slide into a late-career job in a sleep or PFT lab?
Slothrop, exactly. I didn't want to get into it, but that is exactly what I mean. Pulm/CC is cut off a little bit there. At Stanford that is part of the issue, but there are other issues there as well related to division leadership. I think that the value of Pulm/CCM depends *heavily* on the type of pulmonary program in which you're going to become involved in. Some Pulm programs focus heavily on outpatient/sleep, whilst others (like my current one) focus very much of physiology and bronch/interventional skills that not only directly apply to critical care, but make you better at is (at least in my opinion). We also have enough crossover with cardiology / anesthesia units here which I think is incredibly important for medical critical care training - you want someone knowing that physiology like a boss. That being said, there are plenty of pulmonary programs I know of that I'd be just as happy to leave the Pulm part alone and do the CCM since the Pulm focus is so heavily on non-acute cases.

CCM splitting off is one of the biggest issues facing the field at large moving forward, in my opinion. As someone that is heavily weighted towards the acute/critical side of things, I seriously considered training that way. In the long run though, I became rather strongly convinced that the extra year in pulm or cardiology is huge. It's really about the breadth of experience and what you're exposed to at a given institution. I plan on avoiding double-management units like the plague. I want that training and the responsibility, that's why I'm choosing the field. I think that having an additional year or two of pulm/cards is going to make a huge difference, even if I don't end up practicing that way. I think, in many ways, Medical Critical care training should be preparing us to be the hardest thinkers out there - and I don't want to half-ass my way into the field with overly algorithmic/reactionary thinking.

That's my 2c at least, FWIW. :)

--E

You can't "slide" into sleep. It's its own fellowship with separate boarding. There is no "pft lab" practice to speak of.

As of right now the critical care world on the private practice side is dominated by pulmonary and critical care. So finding a job is a lot easier with pulmonary added in, though there are plenty of critical care jobs. My group is currently looking for an intensivist only to fill in some gaps in our schedules so that we can all get more time in the clinic, and more time available for scheduling procedures.

I don't think bringing together two fellowships is dinosaur at all. In fact, I think it gives you a much better context for problems in the MICU, especially from the pulmonary side.

Critical care. It's a commitment to 24/7 coverage somehow and that means nights, weekends, and holidays. You either need to find a back door away from that schedule for later in life or a big enough group that your schedule isn't ridiculous. There is a reason why an old intensivist is the exception, rather than the rule.

Random Question: what sorts of things do you ask the fellowship director during interviews?

You can't "slide" into sleep. It's its own fellowship with separate boarding. There is no "pft lab" practice to speak of.

As of right now the critical care world on the private practice side is dominated by pulmonary and critical care. So finding a job is a lot easier with pulmonary added in, though there are plenty of critical care jobs. My group is currently looking for an intensivist only to fill in some gaps in our schedules so that we can all get more time in the clinic, and more time available for scheduling procedures.

I don't think bringing together two fellowships is dinosaur at all. In fact, I think it gives you a much better context for problems in the MICU, especially from the pulmonary side. [italics/bolding courtesy of Eruethemar]

Critical care. It's a commitment to 24/7 coverage somehow and that means nights, weekends, and holidays. You either need to find a back door away from that schedule for later in life or a big enough group that your schedule isn't ridiculous. There is a reason why an old intensivist is the exception, rather than the rule.

^^ This. +1. Agree. Etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do people mean by "IMG"?
I think Univesity of Minnesota claims to prepare you for CC, pulm AND sleep boards in a three year fellowship, someone correct me if I am wrong, or my info is outdated.

I'd like to hear peoples answers to scroofoo's question about questions to ask during the interviews.

Yale and St. Louis University rejections; updated list (I think)

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Case Western/Univ Hospital 7/30
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28
Saint Louis University 8/4

I think Univesity of Minnesota claims to prepare you for CC, pulm AND sleep boards in a three year fellowship, someone correct me if I am wrong, or my info is outdated.

I'd like to hear peoples answers to scroofoo's question about questions to ask during the interviews.

IMG = International Medical Graduate at a school outside of N.America

+ NYP-Columbia

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

^^ This. +1. Agree. Etc.
What specifically do you think the Pulmonary component of the fellowship adds to critical care delivery? Do you think Derek Angus (@ Pitt, PI of recent PROCESS trial) delivers inferior care to critically ill patients because he did not complete Pulmonary training? Critical Care fellowships often have more MICU time required of fellows (many academic programs only require 6 months of critical care training in current pulm/cc fellowship), teach similar skills such as bronchoscopy and ventilator management. As a disclaimer I am only applying to combined fellowships, but this is against the advice of some of my mentors - who are all pulm/cc trained. I enjoy pulmonary medicine and worked in a sleep lab to earn extra money in college. I'm just wondering if that training is necessary for most applicants and if it makes a difference in practice down the road.

You would be incorrect or outdated. Just pulm and critical care at UMN.

You CANNOT be sleep certified without a separate fellowship.

EDIT: Caveat. You might be able to find a group that can get you credentialed to read basic sleep and see basic sleep but that will be gig to gig dependent. You'll never sit for any boards without the fellowship. So FYI.

Last edited:
What specifically do you think the Pulmonary component of the fellowship adds to critical care delivery? Do you think Derek Angus (@ Pitt, PI of recent PROCESS trial) delivers inferior care to critically ill patients because he did not complete Pulmonary training? Critical Care fellowships often have more MICU time required of fellows (many academic programs only require 6 months of critical care training in current pulm/cc fellowship), teach similar skills such as bronchoscopy and ventilator management. As a disclaimer I am only applying to combined fellowships, but this is against the advice of some of my mentors - who are all pulm/cc trained. I enjoy pulmonary medicine and worked in a sleep lab to earn extra money in college. I'm just wondering if that training is necessary for most applicants and if it makes a difference in practice down the road.

There isn't much more nuanced than critical care and it really should go workout saying to someone getting interviews at top programs, should it not? More clinical context is MOAR clinical context. It's not always bacterial pneumonia. A monkey can be taught basic bronchs and basic vents and the motivated can learn more but vents aren't really that complicated (bronchs can be). MOST of critical care is actually very barbaric and simply first principles driven. And you don't need to be master clinician to run a clinical trial comparing EGDT to "usual care" especially since all the pieces were shown to be basically garbage by themselves a long time before PROCESS.

With all that said you do NOT need pulmonary to be an intensivist. It will only help. However, if you don't want to be LUNG doctor I see ZERO reason to apply to a three year program. I love pulmonary. Some of the talk around here about seeing "out patient" pulmonary patients in fellowship is CLEARLY missing the point.

+Albert Einstein Montefiore 8/1
+ NYP-Columbia 8/4

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Albert Einstein Montefiore 8/1
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Rej from Emory at 7am central time.. Lol

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
Emory 8/5
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Cedar Sinai still has not retrieved my app on my ERAS ADTS. Same for others as well?

Hoping for a good week. Good luck everybody.

Yes, mine's the same way too, and I did submit it 7/15. GL to you too..
Cedar Sinai still has not retrieved my app on my ERAS ADTS. Same for others as well?

Rejection from MUSC (South Carolina)..No love from the South today!

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
Emory 8/5
MUSC (South Carolina) 8/5
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Did anyone who received an invite from Case Western receive confirmation of their interview date? Sent my preferences the same day as the invitation (7/30) but still have not received confirmation.

Did anyone who received an invite from Case Western receive confirmation of their interview date? Sent my preferences the same day as the invitation (7/30) but still have not received confirmation.

Just called and she will send the confirmation emails today.

Rejection - UPENN
Invite - Yale, Mayo

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
Mayo 8/5
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UNC 8/5
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
Emory 8/5
Montefiore 8/1
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Reactions: 1 user
Re rejection letter from UPENN. They want to be sure i understand how I am not competitive enough for their program. Also got Rej from MUSC

Re rejection letter from UPENN. They want to be sure i understand how I am not competitive enough for their program. Also got Rej from MUSC
LOl.. I deleted it from ny ERAS inbox, do NOT want to see that every time I log in...

I see that MUSC has sent out some rejections, anyone get an invite from them?

Interview Kentucky 8/5
Yup, me too..

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
Mayo 8/5
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UKentucky 8/5
UNC 8/5
UTSW 7/28

UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS
Emory 8/5
Montefiore 8/1
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

That's not it. Not really. I know sometimes people phrase things like asshats but basically what they are saying is your application does not look like you want to be a physician scientist.

Interview at UCSD & UNC-Chapel Hill.

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
Mayo 8/5
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UKentucky 8/5
UNC 8/5
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25
UCSD 8/5

REJECTIONS
Emory 8/5
Montefiore 8/1
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

What do people know about UVA? I can't tell much from their website. I'm looking for a place to get good clinical training, a good balance between pulm and CC, and definitely a closed ICU. Where would people rank it compared to other state university programs? compared to Loyola?

What do people know about UVA? I can't tell much from their website. I'm looking for a place to get good clinical training, a good balance between pulm and CC, and definitely a closed ICU. Where would people rank it compared to other state university programs? compared to Loyola?
Yeah, not a lot of info on the website but one of our PCCM attendings trained there, and though n=1, speaks well of it in general, and am apt to believe it because he is hands down one of the best/most skilled intensivist I've come across (and this is in comparison to other awesome folk in this group that have trained at Colorado/Harvard/Yale). He is also the one doing most of their IP stuff despite not having done an official fellowship. Only reason I didn't apply - kind of in the middle of nowhere even in VA...

Cedars still hasn't retrieved my app on ADTS either. I submitted 7/25.

My friend is applying to Pulm CC and he has not get any interviews yet, any advise

Tufts 08/05

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Boston University 7/31
Emory
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown
Hopkins 7/24
Loyola 7/31
Maryland 7/24
Mayo 8/5
NYP-Columbia 8/4
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Pittsburgh 8/1
Tufts 08/06
UCLA 7/29
UCSF 7/28
Univ Minnesota 7/29
UCinn
UKentucky 8/5
UNC 8/5
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
Winthrop
Yale 7/25
UCSD 8/5

REJECTIONS
Emory 8/5
Montefiore 8/1
UPenn 7/27
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Any thoughts on calling programs to make sure one's application is complete and in hand? I applied early on 7/15 and haven't even received a "thanks, but no thanks" or a "we're reviewing your application, stay tuned".

Any thoughts on calling programs to make sure one's application is complete and in hand? I applied early on 7/15 and haven't even received a "thanks, but no thanks" or a "we're reviewing your application, stay tuned".
Hmm... could you ask your own program? That way you're less likely to ruffle any rufflable feathers.... FYI though, 2 of my co-applicants had heard nothing as of two days ago, and they have SOME stuff on their CVs as far as I know.