Official 2014-2015 Season Post Interview Waiting-To-Hear-Back Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is fine as long as the interview cycle is over.

This process is really bizarre. I still don't see why schools should have access to other acceptances etc until after they've made decisions. Roll the decision day forward for schools and for students to pare down to only one acceptance if you want to make the process more fair, but those deadlines better be after schools have released aid offers.
I see what you mean, there are a lot of decisions that are impacted when schools have access to the lists. Applicants are looked at differently. A few of my interviewers definitely approached my interview with them differently once they asked and found out that I already had acceptances or interviews. It brings bias to the decision-making a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

This process is really bizarre. I still don't see why schools should have access to other acceptances etc until after they've made decisions. Roll the decision day forward for schools and for students to pare down to only one acceptance if you want to make the process more fair, but those deadlines better be after schools have released aid offers.
We don't.

I see what you mean, there are a lot of decisions that are impacted when schools have access to the lists. Applicants are looked at differently. A few of my interviewers definitely approached my interview with them differently once they asked and found out that I already had acceptances or interviews. It brings bias to the decision-making a bit.

It also can be intimidating when applicants are asked how many schools they applied to and where all they got interviewed and if they had any other acceptances. It should have no bearing on the interview process and should be on a list of DO NOT ASK questions that the deans force every interviewer to read. Interviewees have absolutely minimal rights in this process and it's kind of obnoxious. Obviously not asking for special treatment here, but there should be some sort of standard. I've just heard so many stories and have a few of my own that would get someone into so much crap if it happened at a job interview.

We don't.

I'm a relatively bright person, but I don't think I'll ever understand what schools can/can't see. I thought all schools applicants applied to have access to their decisions after a certain point. Or is it only those that interviewed them? Re: what you said below:

Yes, eventually all schools have access to the acceptances.
Schools that have accepted applicants can see where those applicants are holding acceptances in February.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a relatively bright person, but I don't think I'll ever understand what schools can/can't see. I thought all schools applicants applied to have access to their decisions after a certain point. Or is it only those that interviewed them?

I have a hard time remembering the details of this timeline as well, but to the best of my understanding:
- Schools currently see what acceptances their accepted students hold
- In Mid-March, schools will see what acceptances their waitlisted students hold
- Late spring/early summer, all schools will see what acceptances all of their applicants hold, regardless of interview status

We don't.
I'm a relatively bright person, but I don't think I'll ever understand what schools can/can't see. I thought all schools applicants applied to have access to their decisions after a certain point. Or is it only those that interviewed them? Re: what you said below:
Super miscommunication.

I think what @ridethecliche meant was he thinks School A should not have access to other acceptances unless School A has made a decision (i.e. post-interview?) on the applicant. In other words those schools that don't release decisions until the first week of April who theoretically could see an applicants standing elsewhere before making a decision. I think @gyngyn interpreted this as school A should not have to wait until after a decision to see an applicants other acceptances (i.e. what already currently happens in April-ish). Hence "[they] don't [have to wait]".

That's how I read it, but maybe you both meant something different. Would it be unreasonable to just use the same match system that residencies use? :shrug: That way the whole idea of "intent" is pretty obvious and schools get the best applicants who will actually attend.

Super miscommunication.

I think what @ridethecliche meant was he thinks School A should not have access to other acceptances unless School A has made a decision (i.e. post-interview?) on the applicant. In other words those schools that don't release decisions until the first week of April who theoretically could see an applicants standing elsewhere before making a decision. I think @gyngyn interpreted this as school A should not have to wait until after a decision to see an applicants other acceptances (i.e. what already currently happens in April-ish). Hence "[they] don't [have to wait]".

That's how I read it, but maybe you both meant something different. Would it be unreasonable to just use the same match system that residencies use? :shrug: That way the whole idea of "intent" is pretty obvious and schools get the best applicants who will actually attend.

Ehhh. I think they were actually on the same page lol.

Interesting point that you bring up about schools with late decision dates though. I was under the impression that no schools has a decision date so late that it is after the "mass-reveal" date.

Super miscommunication.

Yeah, I think schools should have made their own decision about an applicant before being able to see where they've been accepted to combat waitlisting students for yield protection.

The match system wouldn't work as the you wouldn't be able to view and weigh financial aid offers.

Ehhh. I think they were actually on the same page lol.

Interesting point that you bring up about schools with late decision dates though. I was under the impression that no schools has a decision date so late that it is after the "mass-reveal" date.

This is what I was going for, but some schools interview till early-mid april so...

Yeah, I think schools should have made their own decision about an applicant before being able to see where they've been accepted to combat waitlisting students for yield protection.

I agree. I had one interviewer make my write a list of all schools applied to and my status at each school. It felt so awkward having to do that... trying to defend my interest in the school regardless of my status elsewhere

I agree. I had one interviewer make my write a list of all schools applied to and my status at each school. It felt so awkward having to do that... trying to defend my interest in the school regardless of my status elsewhere
That's crossing the line. If I was accepted somewhere else (possibly somewhere "better"), then I would have been like, "Um no. If your school is that insecure about securing applicants, then this interview is over."

Reactions: 5 users
@drmak89 Had something similar happen. I don't think it's appropriate to know about my status at all the other schools that I've applied to. However, I was honest and told my interviewer that I had gone on other interviews, and shared the name of like 1 or 2. Then, I quickly changed the subject aha.

Reactions: 3 users
I think even asking about other applications should be a no-no.

"Did you apply to and interview at any other schools?"
-No.
"What?"
-I'm an idiot and I don't want to get into medical school, so this is the only school I'm applying to.

Seriously...

@ridethecliche its fair game though.

Says who though?

That information is released to the schools at a certain date indicating that it's not fair game before then. If it was, AMCAS would notify schools as the decisions were made and applicants were notified.

Members don't see this ad :)
So then what advice would you give when the question comes up?

So then what advice would you give when the question comes up?
Tell them that you have been fortunate to enjoy some success in this cycle. If they persist, just say "nowhere I'd rather go than here of course!" Big smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Tell them that you have been fortunate to enjoy some success in this cycle. If they persist, just say nowhere you'd rather go than here of course! Big smile.

I wrote the list while my interviewer reviewed my AMCAS. He referenced the list later on and it became essentially a conversation of would I come here over ALL those other schools. I had to answer along the lines of defending my interest here vs all those other places. Only interviewer to do that (so far) so thank goodness. It really should have no bearing, I agree.

I wrote the list while my interviewer reviewed my AMCAS. He referenced the list later on and it became essentially a conversation of would I come here over ALL those other schools. I had to answer along the lines of defending my interest here vs all those other places. Only interviewer to do that (so far) so thank goodness. It really should have no bearing, I agree.
I am not sure how I'd respond to his request. I might end up comply with the "WTH" sound echoing in my head from then on forever and ever. It is also possible that I'd just walk the right out of there.

I am not sure how I'd respond to his request. I might end up comply with the "WTH" sound echoing in my head from then on forever and ever. It is also possible that I'd just walk the right out of there.

Well I really liked the school so I couldn't just walk out haha. I just answered honestly. I listed the schools and my status. I expressed my genuine interest in the institution and I left it at that.

This stinks.
When this is all over, contact the admissions dean and let him know how this made you feel.
Something along the lines of a Public Health official showing up to ask about all your sex partners!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I really liked the school so I couldn't just walk out haha. I just answered honestly. I listed the schools and my status. I expressed my genuine interest in the institution and I left it at that.
I understand. I had one interviewer behaved seriously unethical and I definitely chose to somehow get pass it as politely as possible. I reported him indirectly and was eventually accepted.

This stinks.
When this is all over, contact the admissions dean and let him know how this made you feel.
Something along the lines of a Public Health official showing up to ask about all your sex partners!

I understand. I had one interviewer behaved seriously unethical and I definitely chose to somehow get pass it as politely as possible. I reported him indirectly and was eventually accepted.

As naive as it sounds, I didn't even think of doing that. It didn't actually bother me too much.

However, I did have an interviewer inform me of my rights to not divulge certain information. But they then kept prodding for detailed information. THAT made me uncomfortable. On one hand, I knew I didn't have to discuss any of it. However, I realized the interviewer would not have comfortably accepted my no for an answer.:shrug:

As naive as it sounds, I didn't even think of doing that. It didn't actually bother me too much.

However, I did have an interviewer inform me of my rights to not divulge certain information. But they then kept prodding for detailed information. THAT made me uncomfortable. On one hand, I knew I didn't have to discuss any of it. However, I realized the interviewer would not have comfortably accepted my no for an answer.:shrug:
At my school if we discover that interviewers do anything like this, interventions will happen. The only way we can know is if you report it, though. Do it when you feel safe.

You can always tell you premed Dean at your home institution and have him or her give the said school a email saying this without disclosing who you are. My interviewer was reported by me and by my friend (we interviewed by the same interviewer!) through our deans at respected colleges.

@gyngyn & @FriendlyFH thanks for the advice! Once the app season is over I will definitely look into that.

This stinks.

Well, I guess the sex partner thing is actually useful in contact tracing though. We used to have to report new diagnoses to the Mass DPH when I worked in an HIV clinic.

At my school if we discover that interviewers do anything like this, interventions will happen. The only way we can know is if you report it, though. Do it when you feel safe.

I did this for one school and no one ever got back to me. My decision has been delayed by over 2 weeks as well. It's incredibly frustrating because I really liked the school and the students and think I'm a good fit, but my experience with my interviewer was so infuriating that I could barely form a coherent sentence during the interview. I should have just walked out and gone to the beach.

Well, I guess the sex partner thing is actually useful in contact tracing though. We used to have to report new diagnoses to the Mass DPH when I worked in an HIV clinic.

I did this for one school and no one ever got back to me. My decision has been delayed by over 2 weeks as well. It's incredibly frustrating because I really liked the school and the students and think I'm a good fit, but my experience with my interviewer was so infuriating that I could barely form a coherent sentence during the interview. I should have just walked out and gone to the beach.
Of course you ran the risk of being ignored (this is another reason that I decided to use my dean as a medium. A email or phone call from a premed advisor at a major feeder school might be treated more seriously) or you put your app into a disadvantage position. However, if a school's administration mishandle such things, or even treated lightly, then it doesn't reflect well on the school and it should make you think twice before committing into a LTR with them...
It speaks good of you that you know when to speak up when wrong things happen. We all have to make tough calls in the future for our sake and for others' sake.

Interviewed at UNMC at the beginning of October and still haven't heard back. Someone hold me.

5 interviews in Feb..March is going to either be the best month in life or make me want to cry in a corner in fetal position. LORDT.

Interviewed at UNMC at the beginning of October and still haven't heard back. Someone hold me.
Jeez almost 5 months? Back in November I thought waiting 6 weeks to hear post interview was crazy long:laugh:! Why such a long time?

Jeez almost 5 months? Back in November I thought waiting 6 weeks to hear post interview was crazy long:laugh:! Why such a long time?

So from my understanding they interview from October to December then randomly pull files to make their decision from December to March. I think I've just been unlucky...

Interviewed at Baylor September 5 and still haven't heard back... try 6+ months

So from my understanding they interview from October to December then randomly pull files to make their decision from December to March. I think I've just been unlucky...
Ughhh that's annoying! Is UNMC your top choice! Well now you know that this month is the month! Good luck to you!

Interviewed at Baylor September 5 and still haven't heard back... try 6+ months
That is crazy! Trust me now I know that many people easily wait 3+ months for decisions. That's ridiculous. Some schools inform you of a decision post interview as quickly as 4-7 days, I'm not sure why more schools can't get them out quicker.

Reactions: 2 users
Ughhh that's annoying! Is UNMC your top choice! Well now you know that this month is the month! Good luck to you!

I'm OOS and have been accepted to a state school, so it's really gonna depend on my financial situation at UNMC. What's funny is I didn't think the interview went that well, so I was mentally prepared to get a rejection. But as more and more time goes by, I keep getting my hopes up!

Yeah I interviewed at a school in November that didn't give me a decision until February. Hot messssssssss.

That is crazy! Trust me now I know that many people easily wait 3+ months for decisions. That's ridiculous. Some schools inform you of a decision post interview as quickly as 4-7 days, I'm not sure why more schools can't get them out quicker.

Btw, D Wade is a softy. LBJ all day and tomorrow!

I'm OOS and have been accepted to a state school, so it's really gonna depend on my financial situation at UNMC. What's funny is I didn't think the interview went that well, so I was mentally prepared to get a rejection. But as more and more time goes by, I keep getting my hopes up!
You know the saying! Sometimes they save the best for last! Let us know what happens!
Btw, D Wade is a softy. LBJ all day and tomorrow!
Noooo LBJ is soft, and he'll never win a title in Cleveland! #TeamWade :flame::flame::flame:

5 interviews in Feb..March is going to either be the best month in life or make me want to cry in a corner in fetal position. LORDT.

it's been the latter for me thus far lmao. hopefully better times ahead for you!

A school I'm waiting on but won't release decision for another couple weeks asking me for fin aid related document. On one hand it can be good news await by that I mean not a rejection. it could just be that I did finish their need application recently. Ugh, it's been 6 months since interview, still so many more days to go

Guys, we will all be laughing about this stressing we're doing in a couple months. I'm speaking it into existence! WE GON MAKE IT!

Reactions: 4 users
Guys, we will all be laughing about this stressing we're doing in a couple months. I'm speaking it into existence! WE GON MAKE IT!

Im laughing now.....

... until I get an alert for a new email and my heart skips a beat. :nailbiting: Hoping the rest of the month brings good news for us all!

Reactions: 6 users

New meaning to the term March Madness. Same position here...

The school I'm waiting on only notifies via snail mail :(

One of my schools doesn't even give a notification timeline...

The other one said 8 weeks, which is coming up in the next week or two.

The third one is probably a lost cause.

The fourth one is a w/l or rejection since they've already accepted a ton of people and haven't started sending out post-II waitlists or rejections.

GOOD TIMES MATE!

I think I should FINALLY be done with this manuscript revision tonight. It has consumed my being for the last two weeks and left me with little to no energy with which to be neurotic.

Tomorrow morning that all changes.

FML.