Official 2014-2015 Season Post Interview Waiting-To-Hear-Back Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From experience, I can say that the waitlist has everything to do with getting the "best" candidate that will come over any emotional attachment!

I'd like that.

However, I would assume, like any human based selection process, the process of admission will always have the subject side of it and no one can completely be ride of emotions/prejudice/hidden assumptions. Maybe we should all hire vulcans to do the work.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like that.

However, I would assume, like any human based selection process, the process of admission will always have the subject side of it and no one can completely be ride of emotions/prejudice/hidden assumptions. Maybe we should all hire vulcans to do the work.
Have you met any admissions deans? They do appear to come from a distant planet!

@FriendlyFH Ha ha, you are far too kind, but I understand that you needed a hypothetical desirable candidate and I'm flattered to fill the space.

My cognitive dissonance has been relieved somewhat by this discussion. I expect that this topic will continue to surface. I think I will advise applicants to:

1) Listen to what a school is looking for;
2) Always be honest;
3) Expect what you write to have no effect.*

*Unless
you are writing to a school where you have been waitlisted, and they might reasonably expect you'd choose a school where you've already been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you met any admissions deans? They do appear to come from a distant planet!
12 attended interviews...12+ deans.....They couldn't be more different, at least the side that were chosen to shown to the applicants. Some are very business and officious. Some kind and benevolent. Some were humorous and self-deprecating. One dean was very sentimental: rumor has it that once someone on the waitlist of his school wrote a sonnet every week to this dean to ask for admission. In the end the dean wrote a sonnet to the adcoms and got the guy off the waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
12 interviews...12+ deans.....They couldn't be more different, at least the side that were chosen to shown to the applicants. Some are very business and officious. Some kind and benevolent. Some were humorous and self-deprecating. One dean was very sentimental: rumor has it that once someone on the waitlist of his school wrote a sonnet every week to this dean to ask for admission. In the end the dean wrote a sonnet to the adcoms and got the guy off the waitlist.
My n is larger than your n!

Reactions: 1 user
Have you ever gotten a new job? Did you use a resume with a bunch of sweet positions at companies you've held to give yourself worth and leverage to deserve the new job? Do you think if all you had was mowing lawns you would get the job at Google? Or if you said you are currently working at NASA? Which gives you more leverage? "Hey I'm currently mowing lawns in Virginia, but I would love to come work at Google! I loved 'The Internship' movie and it looks like a great place to work!:)". Or how about, "Hey, I build spaceships at NASA but would love to come to Google because my family lives in Mountain View and I've always wanted to work with you for xyz reasons."

Did you negotiate salary at your new job based on prior or current salaries that you held or hold? If starting pay was 17/hr, do you think they would give you a raise if you said, "My current job I make 10/hr but I really want to make 20/hr with you guys?" Or, "My current job I make 22/hr, but I would be willing to work for 20/hr with you guys because I love Google?"

It sounds all good and dandy to "get your name seen again" or "tell them how much you love them" but in the real world it is a two way road and you need to have something to offer in return in order to bargain your way to an acceptance with a LOI.

The laughable part is that any comparison is necessary at all, but for some reason so many still don't understand... people will continue begging schools to accept them or promising 8 schools that they will come if accepted. What it does is ruin the entire purpose of the letter of intent to the point that they start losing their value for all applicants all together.

Given that I'm a non-trad... yeah. I've held a few jobs...

Also, you don't really seem to understand how google does hiring because they really don't give a crap what you did before you worked there and their interviews are far more task oriented. Some of the programmers there and at microsoft never went to college either, so perhaps they did mow lawns...

Also, also, if you're entering job negotiations and think you're making yourself competitive by trying to get in the door by demanding less salary then that's pretty hilarious. Do you have any work experience and salary negotiation experience, because I do and that's the absolute stupidest thing you can tell an interviewer because it's desperate and saying that you think you should undersell yourself is really not the best way to get your foot in the door.

A LOI is a desperate move as well, which is why I said it was a wash. So Ace wasted some time to write a nice little letter. Good for him. No harm, no foul. If people have new activities they can tie into an LOI slash update letter, then all the better. I just don't see the point for chastising someone for something that essentially makes no difference. Ace never said that the letter was definitely going to get him off the waitlist. From what I understand, the wl is ranked anyway...

You should also realize that every school does things differently.

The dating metaphors are still juvenile and highschool esque. Especially these prom ones that people are bringing up.

Now I really want to go watch wet hot american summer.

That's what he said?

(Yes, I realize the irony of this after having called someone out for juvenile comments. Come at me bro!)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't intent to speak of my experience or my guessing as truth. And when N1>>>>>>>>>N2, I say :bow:

@FriendlyFH Ha ha, you are far too kind, but I understand that you needed a hypothetical desirable candidate and I'm flattered to fill the space.

My cognitive dissonance has been relieved somewhat by this discussion. I expect that this topic will continue to surface. I think I will advise applicants to:

1) Listen to what a school is looking for;
2) Always be honest;
3) Expect what you write to have no effect.*

*Unless
you are writing to a school where you have been waitlisted, and they might reasonably expect you'd choose a school where you've already been accepted.

If anyone asks me for one piece of application advice, let it be for writing essays or for interviewing, I'd say that "avoid trying to make an effect". I believe that as seasoned as our adcoms, they can sniff out the faintest effort of manipulative attempt. Just be oneself and be passionate (=/=overly excited)

Given that I'm a non-trad... yeah. I've held a few jobs...

Also, you don't really seem to understand how google does hiring because they really don't give a crap what you did before you worked there and their interviews are far more task oriented. Some of the programmers there and at microsoft never went to college either, so perhaps they did mow lawns...

Also, also, if you're entering job negotiations and think you're making yourself competitive by trying to get in the door by demanding less salary then that's pretty hilarious. Do you have any work experience and salary negotiation experience, because I do and that's the absolute stupidest thing you can tell an interviewer because it's desperate and saying that you think you should undersell yourself is really not the best way to get your foot in the door.

A LOI is a desperate move as well, which is why I said it was a wash. So Ace wasted some time to write a nice little letter. Good for him. No harm, no foul. If people have new activities they can tie into an LOI slash update letter, then all the better. I just don't see the point for chastising someone for something that essentially makes no difference. Ace never said that the letter was definitely going to get him off the waitlist. From what I understand, the wl is ranked anyway...

You should also realize that every school does things differently.

The dating metaphors are still juvenile and highschool esque. Especially these prom ones that people are bringing up.

Now I really want to go watch wet hot american summer.

That's what he said?

(Yes, I realize the irony of this after having called someone out for juvenile comments. Come at me bro!)

"How google does hiring" is irrelevant. This shows you still don't get the point of the analogy and perhaps never will. How about forget metaphors and look at the reality of the situation? How does telling a school you want to go there change the fact that they already know you want to go there?

Go ahead and beg schools for acceptances and come back and let us know how it goes. "Ace" was bugged at gyn for saying LOI's are pretty much useless (#276) as they have been devalued due to those who send them everywhere and to schools where they have no business sending them. True, it probably has no affect on the individual, but it definitely doesn't "make no difference." The mass of applicants sending LOI's to every school ruins it for everyone else who would use them properly. As gyngyn says, "LOI's" are devalued to a point below junk bonds." A lot of schools don't even accept letters of intent at all due to those who simply can't figure them out. What if I have family and a bunch of reasons to attend U of Az but I can't even express that to them since they are tired of BS letters from applicants?

Reactions: 1 users
I think this interview with UChicago's admission dean might have spread the LOI popularity to a small extend. For those who haven't seen it, wouldn't you conclude that the adcoms might like some "touch-keeping?"

http://pritzkerpodcast.com/2010/08/03/33-admissions-update/

BF:
Do you have any sense of how many people are taken off of hold successfully versus just rejected outright?

JK: Yeah. I would say–last year we probably had about 200 applicants who were taken off of hold, and we probably interviewed between 25 and 30 of those. Now some of those self-select out. They will send us an email saying, “You know what, I’ve gotten interview offers at schools that I’m really excited about. Don’t worry about me anymore.” And that is certainly fine and is certainly the applicant’s choice. The applicants who tend to be taken off of that hold list are those who have been in touch with us to say, “I’m really interested in Pritzker. Here’s an update on my activities. Here’s an update of my fall semester grades,” or “I took the MCAT again. Here’s that score.” You know, those who stay in touch with us and continue to send us updates and let us know that “I’m really interested in Pritzker.”

I was on hold for Prizker, sent no update, rejected eventually. N=1

I think this interview with UChicago's admission dean might have spread the LOI popularity to a small extend. For those who haven't seen it, wouldn't you conclude that the adcoms might like some "touch-keeping?"

http://pritzkerpodcast.com/2010/08/03/33-admissions-update/

BF:
Do you have any sense of how many people are taken off of hold successfully versus just rejected outright?

JK: Yeah. I would say–last year we probably had about 200 applicants who were taken off of hold, and we probably interviewed between 25 and 30 of those. Now some of those self-select out. They will send us an email saying, “You know what, I’ve gotten interview offers at schools that I’m really excited about. Don’t worry about me anymore.” And that is certainly fine and is certainly the applicant’s choice. The applicants who tend to be taken off of that hold list are those who have been in touch with us to say, “I’m really interested in Pritzker. Here’s an update on my activities. Here’s an update of my fall semester grades,” or “I took the MCAT again. Here’s that score.” You know, those who stay in touch with us and continue to send us updates and let us know that “I’m really interested in Pritzker.”

I was on hold for Prizker, sent no update, rejected eventually. N=1

Staying in touch and giving updates is very different from a letter of intent.

Staying in touch and giving updates is very different from a letter of intent.
What's the difference except the fact it's used in different stages? They all say, "I love you and here is why you should please love me back!"

What's the difference except the fact it's used in different stages? They all say, "I love you and here is why you should please love me back!"
Letter of intent is saying: If you accept me, I will come to your school. It should be 100% binding no questions asked no exceptions. Therefore, it is silly to send such a statement to schools that already know you will come if accepted. Ex: it would be stupid for me to write Harvard a letter of intent... they already know I would come, duh!

"I love you and here is why you should please love me back!" would be a letter of interest, which is great and should be sent to all schools who accept them IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letter of intent is saying: If you accept me, I will come to your school. It should be 100% binding no questions asked no exceptions. Therefore, it is silly to send such a statement to schools that already know you will come if accepted. Ex: it would be stupid for me to write Harvard a letter of intent... they already know I would come, duh!

"I love you and here is why you should please love me back!" would be a letter of interest, which is great and should be sent to all schools who accept them IMO.
It's not binding. A reason, as @gyngyn commented numerous times, makes Letter of intents to be treated not very seriously.

Also, schools are not worms in our brain, they DON'T automatically know that the students will come if invited. As the dean of Yale commented, in the past students who are accepted to Yale and Harvard will pretty much split between the two. He said "now, Vandy, Mich, WashU, stanford, Penn have been attracting students away."

LOIs, regardless what the I stands for, are all saying that "I love you, if you love me back, then I'll move to the next step with you!"

EDIT: if you prefer Dating analogy. Telling a girl "You are beautiful and I'm interested in you" will help with getting the girl to date you. It will also help with getting the girl to marry you. The timing of using the message is different, but the message of love is the constant.

Last edited:
It's not binding. A reason, as @gyngyn commented numerous times, makes Letter of intents to be treated not very seriously.

Also, schools are not worms in our brain, they DON'T automatically know that the students will come if invited. As the dean of Yale commented, in the past students who are accepted to Yale and Harvard will pretty much split between the two, now, Vandy, Mich, WashU, stanford, Penn have been attracting students away.

A letter of intent is a promise to attend if accepted... it should be binding, but they are abused by applicants who upon receiving that acceptance do not attend. AKA applicants are liars, which causes future letters of intent to be treated not very seriously bc schools are tired of being lied to.

The fact that "schools DON'T automatically know that students will come if invited" is the whole purpose and point of a letter of intent. So you can tell a school you will come if they accept you, or give you x scholarship, or whatever.

So if I have been accepted to a better school, but still want to attend the waitlist school, should I explicitly mention anything in the letter about being accepted to this other school?

So if I have been accepted to a better school, but still want to attend the waitlist school, should I explicitly mention anything in the letter about being accepted to this other school?
They will see where you are accepted in two weeks.
Just tell them the truth without mentioning the other school.
This one of the rare situations in which an update might be worthwhile.

A letter of intent is a promise to attend if accepted... it should be binding, but they are abused by applicants who upon receiving that acceptance do not attend. AKA applicants are liars, which causes future letters of intent to be treated not very seriously bc schools are tired of being lied to.

The fact that "schools DON'T automatically know that students will come if invited" is the whole purpose and point of a letter of intent. So you can tell a school you will come if they accept you, or give you x scholarship, or whatever.
Letter of intent is not a promise, it's an intent as the name suggest.
It shouldn't be binding but it should be genuine!

circumstances change, hence why saying things like "they should be binding" or that "applicants are liars" is a bit much. I could fully intend on going to a school, find out I got a full ride elsewhere a month later, and suddenly it wouldn't make sense financially to attend school number 1. yes, you should try to account for this, but not always possible.

also, yes some abuse it. it's the nature of the beast with this whole process. lets create monsters then complain about the monsters doing monster things (in reference to pre-meds being pushed to craziness and neuroticism by the expectations and competitiveness, incase that wasn't as obvious as I thought). Just my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
"How google does hiring" is irrelevant. This shows you still don't get the point of the analogy and perhaps never will. How about forget metaphors and look at the reality of the situation? How does telling a school you want to go there change the fact that they already know you want to go there?

Go ahead and beg schools for acceptances and come back and let us know how it goes. "Ace" was bugged at gyn for saying LOI's are pretty much useless (#276) as they have been devalued due to those who send them everywhere and to schools where they have no business sending them. True, it probably has no affect on the individual, but it definitely doesn't "make no difference." The mass of applicants sending LOI's to every school ruins it for everyone else who would use them properly. As gyngyn says, "LOI's" are devalued to a point below junk bonds." A lot of schools don't even accept letters of intent at all due to those who simply can't figure them out. What if I have family and a bunch of reasons to attend U of Az but I can't even express that to them since they are tired of BS letters from applicants?

Your google analogy was flawed so I called it out. Telling someone they should take you because you'll work for less is a pretty bad way of doing things in the job market... This isn't a case of competition between two factories vying for a chance to manufacture for someone else, where margin and undercutting come into play even more.

Not sure how Ace is ruining it for anyone. He sent one letter of intent to a school that is his top choice post interview. Explain how he's wronging someone else?

If a school doesn't accept LOI's then all candidates for that school that are waitlisted are at a similar crossroads. No one has wronged the hypothetical candidate that wants to go to U of Az. If that person really has something to say, then they should try calling admissions and getting a call with someone. Otherwise... that's them apples. Some schools don't accept update letters at all. Have all the people that sent update letters when the school used to accept those letters ruined it for everyone else? Perhaps those schools realized it was of limited utility for them to consider such things. I certainly had schools like that where I was placed on hold and strongly feel that update letters would have helped my cause. I got 3 interviews less than 2 weeks after sending an update letter in the fall.

If a school doesn't want to receive LOI's, it should say so. Till that happens, an applicant is well within their right to send them. Schools are probably more responsible for last minute shuffles than applicants given that schools can still pull people out of their waitlist until the day those students start classes elsewhere. Having some sort of standardization and deadlines for the 'scramble' would also help applicants since it wouldn't force people to entirely alter their life last minute.

Because intent is a strong word and theoretically means that you'd go there if accepted and nothing is stopping students from sending those letters everywhere. It could potentially go to a system where students can only send one LOI through AMCAS or such.

Obviously intent is more complicated than that because something along the lines of "I totally intended to go there but got this offer that was half the price" doesn't nullify the intent.

And not we're going back to the circuitous argument that they don't matter anyway so what's the damn point slash harm.

Your second paragraph defends the submission of letters of intent no matter what relative rank the school is, but everything else you said contradicts that. So which one is it? Schools know exactly that people will come to their school or not? What about people who want to go to a "lower ranked" school more than one they are waitlisted at, but they are waiting on financial aid or something like that? Are schools supposed to assume these people still want to go to their school over the lesser ranked one?

Letter of intent is not a promise, it's an intent as the name suggest.
It shouldn't be binding but it should be genuine!
I was being genuine when I sent mine. And I am a man of my word, so I do consider it binding personally. It's a shame that too many applicants have abused sending LOI's such that mine might not be viewed positively.

I was being genuine when I sent mine. And I am a man of my word, so I do consider it binding personally.
Precisely. I haven't sent any LOI for this reason.

It's a shame that too many applicants have abused sending LOI's such that mine might not be viewed positively.

People abuse things all the time throughout the application process. Don't try to think what other people do or don't. I think it's enough if we all just do what we want to do passionately, ethically and effectively. Then hope for the best.

Reactions: 4 users
Because intent is a strong word
I guess here I should exit the debate because I can't argue with native speaker on the strength of a word. I have no authority. ;)

Your second paragraph defends the submission of letters of intent no matter what relative rank the school is, but everything else you said contradicts that. So which one is it? Schools know exactly that people will come to their school or not? What about people who want to go to a "lower ranked" school more than one they are waitlisted at, but they are waiting on financial aid or something like that? Are schools supposed to assume these people still want to go to their school over the lesser ranked one?

"The fact that "schools DON'T automatically know that students will come if invited" is the whole purpose and point of a letter of intent. So you can tell a school you will come if they accept you, or give you x scholarship, or whatever."

Where's the contradiction? How does it defend the submission of LOI regardless of rank? The paragraph only applies to lower rank schools who don't know if you will come bc you are accepted to higher rank... IF YOU ARE ONLY ACCEPTED TO A LOWER RANK, THEY ALREADY KNOW YOU WILL COME.

If you're accepted at UCLA and wait-listed at miami, miami won't know you really want to come there unless you tell them... bc they know UCLA is badass and assume you will go there. So you write the LOI to tell them. Otherwise, they will skip you and move onto other applicants WHO WILL COME.

Miami already knows you (Ace) will come if accepted! Therefore, you do not fit that category as explained in my "second paragraph."

How many times does this really need to be explained?

"The fact that "schools DON'T automatically know that students will come if invited" is the whole purpose and point of a letter of intent. So you can tell a school you will come if they accept you, or give you x scholarship, or whatever."

Where's the contradiction? How does it defend the submission of LOI regardless of rank? The paragraph only applies to lower rank schools who don't know if you will come bc you are accepted to higher rank... IF YOU ARE ONLY ACCEPTED TO A LOWER RANK, THEY ALREADY KNOW YOU WILL COME.

If you're accepted at UCLA and wait-listed at miami, miami won't know you really want to come there unless you tell them... bc they know UCLA is badass and assume you will go there. So you write the LOI to tell them. Otherwise, they will skip you and move onto other applicants WHO WILL COME.

Miami already knows you (Ace) will come if accepted! Therefore, you do not fit that category as explained in my "second paragraph."

so much rank based talking, who are you? a premed? :rolleyes:

Edit: I guess what I was trying to say using a bit sarcasm was that, national ranking has very unpredictable bearing on an individual's choice of school to which he or she may attend.

Last edited:
People abuse things all the time throughout the application process. Don't try to think what other people do or don't. I think it's enough if we all just do what we want to do passionately, ethically and effectively. Then hope for the best.

Wise words. Also true all through life, not just the application process.

I guess here I should exit the debate because I can't argue with native speaker on the strength of a word. I have no authority. ;)

I HAVE A THESAURUS AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

What if this was like that example you gave about the university of arizona and how an applicant might want to go somewhere not determined solely by rank?

So you're okay with LOI's in some cases, but not others. So you're saying they're kinda useful sometimes.

Wait, what are you even saying anymore/

so much rank based talking, who are you? a premed? :rolleyes:

ZING!

What if this was like that example you gave about the university of arizona and how an applicant might want to go somewhere not determined solely by rank?

So you're okay with LOI's in some cases, but not others. So you're saying they're kinda useful sometimes.

Wait, what are you even saying anymore/

ZING!

I've said the same thing the whole time... they are only useful when an applicant is holding an acceptance to a better school but wants to go to the "lower" school. Otherwise you are just begging.

Ex: I'm accepted to Baylor, but want to go to Arizona. Baylor is better that Arizona so Arizona will prob assume I will be going to Baylor and accept someone else who they think will come.

I can't keep explaining the same thing... last time I was this frustrated was when I tried to teach Spanish to a hamster. Good luck with all your letters and future decisions! I won't be writing any myself as I am content with my cycle.:luck:

I've said the same thing the whole time... they are only useful when an applicant is holding an acceptance to a better school but wants to go to the "lower" school. Otherwise you are just begging.

Ex: I'm accepted to Baylor, but want to go to Arizona. Baylor is better that Arizona so Arizona will prob assume I will be going to Baylor and accept someone else who they think will come.

I can't keep explaining the same thing... last time I was this frustrated was when I tried to teach Spanish to a hamster. Good luck with all your letters and future decisions! I won't be writing any myself as I am content with my cycle.:luck:

You keep missing the point that it's not solely about rank. When does it become about rank for you? 10 spots? 20 spots?

That person that got into arizona might not go to baylor if they got in since family is in arizona. LOI would have some utility there as well since there's quite a lot of incentive to stay in state as well.

When discussing all of this "schools know you will come if they are higher ranked" vs "schools lower ranked think you won't come if accepted," how prevalent do you all think yield protection is when making a decision on a candidate following an interview? For a candidate that is very competitive and definitely worthy of acceptance at even higher ranked schools, will a lower ranked school decide to waitlist the candidate for fear of wasting an acceptance because the candidate will inevitably have better options, and then let the candidate plead their case on the waitlist if they truly want to come?

You keep missing the point that it's not solely about rank. When does it become about rank for you? 10 spots? 20 spots?

That person that got into arizona might not go to baylor if they got in since family is in arizona. LOI would have some utility there as well since there's quite a lot of incentive to stay in state as well.

To the individual it isn't about rank, but the schools don't care... The schools want the best students and will pull them from higher ranked schools if they will realistically come. My opinion would be if holding any school better/equal in caliber than the desired school, sending the LOI would be worthwhile. But what do I know? Send away...

All this discussion makes me wonder why yield matters that much for schools beyond the inconvenience of having to continuously going down the wait list. If it is to increase their "rank" (by rank, I mean US News and World Report since this seems to be advertised by so many medical schools), it seems like it shouldn't matter much, if at all. Based on the methodology (linked below), acceptance rates only account for less than 1% of their scores. Am I missing something?

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...gy-2015-best-medical-schools-rankings ?page=2

When discussing all of this "schools know you will come if they are higher ranked" vs "schools lower ranked think you won't come if accepted," how prevalent do you all think yield protection is when making a decision on a candidate following an interview? For a candidate that is very competitive and definitely worthy of acceptance at even higher ranked schools, will a lower ranked school decide to waitlist the candidate for fear of wasting an acceptance because the candidate will inevitably have better options, and then let the candidate plead their case on the waitlist if they truly want to come?

I honestly think that this might be the case, especially if schools are interviewing those candidates pretty close to the time when they can see what other acceptances are being held.

This process is pretty weird for applicants to be honest. Wouldn't it be weird if your undergrad schools could see where else you were accepted before they made a decision about your application?

Last edited:
I honestly think that this might be the case, especially if schools are interviewing those candidates pretty close to the time when they can see what other acceptances are being held.

This process is pretty weird for applicants to be honest. Wouldn't it be weird if your undergrad schools could see where else you were accepted?

agreed. it is the opposite of applicant friendly.

They will see where you are accepted in two weeks.
I thought only schools which have accepted you can see what other schools you are holding an acceptance from in Feb/March. If you're on the waitlist won't they have to wait until April 30th to see all your acceptances?

image.jpg

I thought only schools which have accepted you can see what other schools you are holding an acceptance from in Feb/March. If you're on the waitlist won't they have to wait until April 30th to see all your acceptances?
National Acceptance Report are released to schools on April 1st in previous years.

EDIT: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, after some further reading, it seems all schools can see where a applicant was accepted to on the National Acceptance Report.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html

Last edited:
Haha sorry I'm going to get in the middle of this conversation, but I don't want to make my own thread for this.

I recently interviewed at a state school and at the interview I was asked about other acceptances. When I told the interviewers they were pretty surprised and couldn't believe "it took them so long to give me a II when all these other (mainly OOS) schools saw something in me earlier." Then one interviewer went on to say something like "wonder what it'll take to get you to come here." A couple of the schools are probably considered "better" than my IS school, although I'd be incredibly honored to attend any of the schools I've been accepted at.

I know I interviewed for a waitlist spot, but there is a lot of waitlist movement at this school (about 80% of interviewees are accepted, including waitlisted people). Also I know both of my interviewers will speak very highly of me on my behalf. Assuming I am wait listed, do you think that they would accept me or "not bother" with me? If eventually accepted before April 30th, do you think that there is a chance that I'll be offered a scholarship even as a IS school? I honestly do not know where I'm going yet so the next two months will be very hectic for me. I'm super grateful for how my cycle is gone, and I wish the best of luck for everyone waiting for decisions still!

Haha sorry I'm going to get in the middle of this conversation, but I don't want to make my own thread for this.

I recently interviewed at a state school and at the interview I was asked about other acceptances. When I told the interviewers they were pretty surprised and couldn't believe "it took them so long to give me a II when all these other (mainly OOS) schools saw something in me earlier." Then one interviewer went on to say something like "wonder what it'll take to get you to come here." A couple of the schools are probably considered "better" than my IS school, although I'd be incredibly honored to attend any of the schools I've been accepted at.

I know I interviewed for a waitlist spot, but there is a lot of waitlist movement at this school (about 80% of interviewees are accepted, including waitlisted people). Also I know both of my interviewers will speak very highly of me on my behalf. Assuming I am wait listed, do you think that they would accept me or "not bother" with me? If eventually accepted before April 30th, do you think that there is a chance that I'll be offered a scholarship even as a IS school? I honestly do not know where I'm going yet so the next two months will be very hectic for me. I'm super grateful for how my cycle is gone, and I wish the best of luck for everyone waiting for decisions still!
You could always send a LOI because according to faulty logic, you have leverage since you got accepted to "better schools." But then, of course, there's the risk of LOI's not helping because they've been "devalued" due to applicants sending them everywhere dishonestly.

Sarcasm aside, I think you should let this school know you're still highly interested in them post-interview. Not sure if they'll give you a scholarship since you're IS.

I wonder if this is the week I hear back from Miami and Einstein...

Going on vacation at the end of the month and a good decision (lets be real) from einstein would make life oh so much better.

On that note, what are people's thoughts about update letters pre-decision? I sent one right after my interview about 5 weeks ago and am working on a new project that I talked about at my interview and would like to update them about it a bit!

Wondering if it's a bit much.

I wonder if this is the week I hear back from Miami and Einstein...

Going on vacation at the end of the month and a good decision (lets be real) from einstein would make life oh so much better.

On that note, what are people's thoughts about update letters pre-decision? I sent one right after my interview about 5 weeks ago and am working on a new project that I talked about at my interview and would like to update them about it a bit!

Wondering if it's a bit much.

I think two update letters in the span of 5 weeks is excessive, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

I hope you hear back soon!!!

On that note, what are people's thoughts about update letters pre-decision?
I sent one to Cornell recently since they apparently don't make final decisions until they've finished interviews (and they finished last week). Someone on the interview trail told me that's a good thing to do if you interviewed way earlier in the game (I interviewed back in November).

Will it help? Probably not. As others have speculated, they probably make a general accept/reject/waitlist decision on your application soon after your interview, but one can only hope it helps some.

National Acceptance Report are released to schools on April 1st in previous years.

EDIT: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, after some further reading, it seems all schools can see where a applicant was accepted to on the National Acceptance Report.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html
Yes, eventually all schools have access to the acceptances.
Schools that have accepted applicants can see where those applicants are holding acceptances in February.

Schools that have accepted you can already see where you have also been accepted. In a couple of weeks we will see where the students we have waitlisted are holding acceptances. Eventually everyone will see acceptances.

Schools that have accepted you can already see where you have also been accepted. In a couple of weeks we will see where the students we have waitlisted are holding acceptances. Eventually everyone will see acceptances.
So that means schools that never offered an applicant an interview can see where the applicant has been accepted as well? Is that before the April 30th deadline?

So that means schools that never offered an applicant an interview can see where the applicant has been accepted as well? Is that before the April 30th deadline?
Eventually. I believe it populates late in the cycle, though. We don't use it until next cycle. This is how we discover when a re-applicant was previously accepted.

Reactions: 3 users

This is fine as long as the interview cycle is over.

This process is really bizarre. I still don't see why schools should have access to other acceptances etc until after they've made decisions. Roll the decision day forward for schools and for students to pare down to only one acceptance if you want to make the process more fair, but those deadlines better be after schools have released aid offers.