Official 2014-2015 Season Post Interview Waiting-To-Hear-Back Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
okay so if the rule is "at least" the number of expected students, then we could hear back at any time, regardless of if the class has reached its quota or not. correct?
Let me make sure I understand. Is your question whether schools can accept more students than there are seats in their class? If so, the answer is yes. They can do this anytime after October 15, when the first acceptances go out.

Most (if not all) schools accept more people than they have seats for and wait for them to drop. Many have already.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if I understand. Is your question whether schools can accept more students than there are seats in their class? If so, the answer is yes. And they can do this anytime after October 15, when the first acceptances go out.

Most (if not all) schools accept more people than they have seats for and wait for them to drop. Many have already.
Yes I was basically just clarifying that we are not guaranteed to hear back before march 15th, like an earlier response had suggested.

I have recently relapsed into checking my email every two minutes like I was last summer :( If I ever get off the deferred list, it's not likely to be until May...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have recently relapsed into checking my email every two minutes like I was last summer :( If I ever get off the deferred list, it's not likely to be until May...

haha I've been on this boat. I wish I was only able to check my email once every 3 days so I wouldn't have to worry about it every moment.

Sigh... checking in here

7 interviews --> 2 rejections, 3 waitlists, still waiting on 2

Those 2 I'm still waiting on I felt went the best of them all though, so we'll see...

Reactions: 5 users
Sigh... checking in here

Those 2 I'm still waiting on I felt went the best of them all though, so we'll see...
@Temerit, keep strong! (I know, I know. . .easy to say to a fellow sufferer, but much less easy to put into practice!) It may not affect the outcome, but you are getting some good wishes from the freezer (meaning my domicile.) I hope those two (and maybe four) end up squabbling over you. In the meantime, "You can't jump the track / We're like cars on a cable / And life's like an hourglass glued to the table. . ." Just breathe.

Reactions: 4 users
Sigh... checking in here

we are in a similar position, I know how bad it is. just keep the faith my friend!

Reactions: 2 users
2 acceptances but also currently on 2 alternate/wait lists, both of which gave me a seemingly positive impression about my position on the list. I don't know whether I'm truly in a good position on the list or whether the schools were using poker face language to make me feel better. Anyone else in this dilemma?

Sigh... checking in here

Good luck - rooting for you.

Sigh... checking in here

Dude you have really strong numbers and got invited to interview at a whole bunch of top schools. I'm confident at least one of those will work out for ya. Although for the future, it might be worth reassessing your interview skills :oops:

Guess I've been stalking the thread long enough myself.
5 interviews: 3 waitlists, 1 "High Priority" waitlist, and still waiting on 1 decision (decisions released first week of April but it's likely another WL).

So here's to waiting until May/June for WL movement to start.:bag:

Waiting on two decisions, which are both most likely waitlists/rejections based on others acceptances. This is my second time applying and hopefully the last!

Thanks for the support guys!!

Dude you have really strong numbers and got invited to interview at a whole bunch of top schools. I'm confident at least one of those will work out for ya. Although for the future, it might be worth reassessing your interview skills :oops:

Yeah, I suppose so. It's odd though because I'm VERY sociable and one of my best skills is public speaking. Everyone told me going into the interview season that they thought I would breeze through interviews. I did two mock interviews before the season started that I was told went well (I had video recorded for both too). I dunno, I suppose being sociable =/= interviewing well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the support guys!!

Yeah, I suppose so. It's odd though because I'm VERY sociable and one of my best skills is public speaking. Everyone told me going into the interview season that they thought I would breeze through interviews. I did two mock interviews before the season started that I was told went well (I had video recorded for both too). I dunno, I suppose being sociable =/= interviewing well...

I'm wary to speculate too far, but in my experience, that's definitely true. A lot of the people I met on the interview trail were very outgoing but also came across as aloof, disingenuous, neurotic, or immature. Not saying you are any of these things! And there were far greater numbers of awesome outgoing people, as I'm sure you are aware. My point is that what you may perceive as a positive portrayal of yourself could appear as something else to an observer. I'm fairly certain a lot of those kids who came on too strong were actively trying to give off what they thought was a positive vibe and would have been better served if they had just relaxed and stayed true to their usual selves.

Well, it shows you how much "everybody" knows.

If I recall correctly, you chose to go top-heavy this cycle. I think you've done really well this cycle w/ 7 interviews and you prolly interviewed competently, but you're going up against the likes of the SDN League of Justice Superheroes at these schools.

Well, it shows you how much "everybody" knows.

If I recall correctly, you chose to go top-heavy this cycle. I think you've done really well this cycle w/ 7 interviews and you prolly interviewed competently, but you're going up against the likes of the SDN League of Justice Superheroes at these schools.
Rookie mistake...never go top-heavy.

I hope all of you remain med school application "rookies."
A seasoned professional med school applicant would be so sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16 users
Joining in on this thread...the wait is so difficult. For those of you who are also on multiple waitlists, do you plan on sending letter(s) of intent? Are you waiting to hear from everyone first? Is it frowned upon to send multiple letters of intent if you're on multiple waitlists?

2 acceptances but also currently on 2 alternate/wait lists, both of which gave me a seemingly positive impression about my position on the list. I don't know whether I'm truly in a good position on the list or whether the schools were using poker face language to make me feel better. Anyone else in this dilemma?
I'm in basically the exact same situation haha. Any type of financial aid will throw me any direction as well.

Joining in on this thread...the wait is so difficult. For those of you who are also on multiple waitlists, do you plan on sending letter(s) of intent? Are you waiting to hear from everyone first? Is it frowned upon to send multiple letters of intent if you're on multiple waitlists?
Do NOT, under any circumstances, send a letter of INTENT to multiple schools. That is a blatant act of dishonesty, and because admissions committees at different schools talk to each other, if one of them catches you, you're f**ked. Now, if you meant sending multiple letters of intent to the SAME school and only that one school, then I think that's fine. I already sent one letter of intent to my top choice school that I'm waitlisted at, and I plan to send a few more if I don't get off by April.

Yeah I was worried about that, but I applied to pretty much all the schools on the west coast, plus I consulted with a lot of people on here, including the likes of @gyngyn and got the go ahead. I'm sure at least one of these will work out in the end, it's just hard to still be in limbo after so long.

Reactions: 5 users
Do NOT, under any circumstances, send a letter of INTENT to multiple schools. That is a blatant act of dishonesty, and because admissions committees at different schools talk to each other, if one of them catches you, you're f**ked. Now, if you meant sending multiple letters of intent to the SAME school and only that one school, then I think that's fine. I already sent one letter of intent to my top choice school that I'm waitlisted at, and I plan to send a few more if I don't get off by April.

Thanks! That's what I thought -- the idea of telling multiple people they were my first choice made me feel squeamish as it was, but just wanted to make sure.

Don't start to panic until mid May. It's still likely to work out.

Applicants send these things everywhere!
We see it every year.

"LOI's" are devalued to a point below junk bonds.

Reactions: 4 users
Applicants send these things everywhere!
We see it every year.

"LOI's" are devalued to a point below junk bonds.
Well my bad for believing the Dean of Admissions at the school I want to go to for saying that they take LOI's seriously and that LOI's can be a game changer once the mass waitlist movement in April begins.

Well my bad for believing the Dean of Admissions at the school I want to go to for saying that they take LOI's seriously and that LOI's can be a game changer once the mass waitlist movement in April begins.
Amazing. No wonder everyone sends them everywhere!

Don't get me wrong. A brief message indicating that you would prefer a school perceived as less desirable when you are holding at an arguably "better (or cheaper)" school is fine.

I'm talking about this flurry of "commitment" letters that go out from people holding nowhere before any school has even gotten to the waitlist.

Are you saying the Dean is a liar? Or just that it's uncommon for Deans to endorse letters of intent?

Are you saying the Dean is a liar? Or just that it's uncommon for Deans to endorse letters of intent?
See edit.
I have seen desperate applicants do anything to be considered. "LOI's" are the current expression of this escalation. I have seen LOI's that have accidentally included the name of another school (cut and paste error)!

Don't get me wrong. A brief message indicating that you would prefer a school perceived as less desirable when you are holding at an arguably "better (or cheaper)" school is fine.

I'm talking about this flurry of "commitment" letters that go out from people holding nowhere before any school has even gotten to the waitlist.
Does it always have to be the case in your second paragraph, tho? As in, you're accepted at a "better" school than the one you're waitlisted at? Because I would think most honest applicants would send LOI's to their top choice school that is arguably "better" than any school they have been accepted to already.

IMO, sending a flurry of "commitment" letters when you don't have any acceptances and have not been waitlisted at the school(s) you send them to just shows a kinda pathetic act of desperation. I agree that these specific letters are of no utility whatsoever.

Does it always have to be the case in your second paragraph, tho? As in, you're accepted at a "better" school than the one you're waitlisted at? Because I would think most honest applicants would send LOI's to their top choice school that is arguably "better" than any school they have been accepted to already.
"Better" schools already know you will come if invited!
They don't need a love letter to accept you. If the Dean specifically asked for one, I can only guess that he was thinking about the situation I described. It's hard to express this delicately in a presentation, understandably.

Miami?

Sigh... checking in here

Basically in the same position, hopefully we hear something positive soon!

If you were accepted to UCLA and wait-listed at Miami, but for some reason really wanted to go to Miami, then a letter of intent would probably get you accepted. The higher acceptance gives you a sort of leverage to work with.

However, if you are accepted at Eastern Virginia and wait-listed at Miami, the letter of intent would probably be of much less worth because the folks at Miami already know you would rather go there.

I would assume the dean at Miami (or any dean when talking about LOIntents) is saying they will assume you are going to the better UCLA if accepted there. BUT let us know if you really want to come here instead. I would also assume a LOI could be used when the two schools are very similar.

If you were accepted to UCLA and wait-listed at Miami, but for some reason really wanted to go to Miami, then a letter of intent would probably get you accepted. The higher acceptance gives you a sort of leverage to work with.

However, if you are accepted at Eastern Virginia and wait-listed at Miami, the letter of intent would probably be of much less worth because the folks at Miami already know you would rather go there.

I would assume the dean at Miami (or any dean when talking about LOIntents) is saying they will assume you are going to the better UCLA if accepted there. BUT let us know if you really want to come here instead. I would also assume a LOI could be used when the two schools are very similar.
Too bad, I already sent the letter of intent. And wow, EVMS is not a bad school. I just liked Miami more.

Too bad, I already sent the letter of intent. And wow, EVMS is not a bad school. I just liked Miami more.
I didn't say Eastern Virginia was a bad school. I said UCLA was a BETTER school than Miami. (And nobody would argue EV and UCLA are on the same level). ADCOM's aren't stupid. They don't doubt your desire to come to their school. They know you filled out primary applications, secondary applications, bought nice suits, paid $800 to fly and hotel and taxi and interview. They don't need an intent letter on top reminding them you want to go there. They can SEE where you have been accepted! There is a reason for them being able to see this! If you are on a wait list at miami and they see you are holding an acceptance at UCLA they will no doubt move right along to the next applicant because they are realistic and know you will 99.999% go to UCLA.

Therefore, a letter of intent is a bargaining tool to get what you want. "Hey Miami I got accepted to UCLA but I will come to you if you accept me." Or, "Hey Miami I got accepted to my state school which is close to family and cheaper, but I love Miami and Jackson Memorial Hosp and the beach and your programs I will come to you if you accept me."

You can even throw money into the game: "Hey Miami thanks for the acceptance!... but UCLA offered me $15,000 a year, if you match it I will come to you."

Pretend Miami is a girl and you asked her out and got her number even went out on a first date, but now she isn't returning your calls... for some reason, once she sees you with one of the hottest girls in school she suddenly wants to be with you. It's just how it works. However, if you have little to bargain you have no leverage and it becomes more of a beg and a plea which will turn most girls away faster than if you just wait it out and see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think there's any harm of the LOI. If they already know that he'd prefer to go there based on the other acceptance, this confirms it and they potentially disregard the letter. It gets his name seen again though so that's not entirely a bad thing.

It's likely a wash, but so what?

I really dislike the dating metaphors... I just don't see the connection and it's so high school esque of a comparison that it's almost laughable.

:idea: So it sounds like the perfect time to send a LOIntent is when the school is more desperate than the candidate. In early-mid July, I'll send a letter to my #1 letting them know that I would gladly attend their school and am willing to accept an offer if extended to me up to and including August 1st. That way, when they desperately need that last person to fill the class the week before orientation I'll be ripe for the picking. There's absolutely no way this could fail.

It's like when that girl turns you down only to be dumped by her date the week before prom. But she already has this super cute dress and there's no way she'd be caught dead without a date.

I don't think there's any harm of the LOI. If they already know that he'd prefer to go there based on the other acceptance, this confirms it and they potentially disregard the letter. It gets his name seen again though so that's not entirely a bad thing.

It's likely a wash, but so what?

I really dislike the dating metaphors... I just don't see the connection and it's so high school esque of a comparison that it's almost laughable.

Have you ever gotten a new job? Did you use a resume with a bunch of sweet positions at companies you've held to give yourself worth and leverage to deserve the new job? Do you think if all you had was mowing lawns you would get the job at Google? Or if you said you are currently working at NASA? Which gives you more leverage? "Hey I'm currently mowing lawns in Virginia, but I would love to come work at Google! I loved 'The Internship' movie and it looks like a great place to work!:)". Or how about, "Hey, I build spaceships at NASA but would love to come to Google because my family lives in Mountain View and I've always wanted to work with you for xyz reasons."

Did you negotiate salary at your new job based on prior or current salaries that you held or hold? If starting pay was 17/hr, do you think they would give you a raise if you said, "My current job I make 10/hr but I really want to make 20/hr with you guys?" Or, "My current job I make 22/hr, but I would be willing to work for 20/hr with you guys because I love Google?"

It sounds all good and dandy to "get your name seen again" or "tell them how much you love them" but in the real world it is a two way road and you need to have something to offer in return in order to bargain your way to an acceptance with a LOI.

The laughable part is that any comparison is necessary at all, but for some reason so many still don't understand... people will continue begging schools to accept them or promising 8 schools that they will come if accepted. What it does is ruin the entire purpose of the letter of intent to the point that they start losing their value for all applicants all together.

Have you ever gotten a new job? Did you use a resume with a bunch of sweet positions at companies you've held to give yourself worth and leverage to deserve the new job? Do you think if all you had was mowing lawns you would get the job at Google? Or if you said you are currently working at NASA? Which gives you more leverage? "Hey I'm currently mowing lawns in Virginia, but I would love to come work at Google! I loved 'The Internship' movie and it looks like a great place to work!:)". Or how about, "Hey, I build spaceships at NASA but would love to come to Google because my family lives in Mountain View and I've always wanted to work with you for xyz reasons."

Did you negotiate salary at your new job based on prior or current salaries that you held or hold? If starting pay was 17/hr, do you think they would give you a raise if you said, "My current job I make 10/hr but I really want to make 20/hr with you guys?" Or, "My current job I make 22/hr, but I would be willing to work for 20/hr with you guys because I love Google?"

It sounds all good and dandy to "get your name seen again" or "tell them how much you love them" but in the real world it is a two way road and you need to have something to offer in return in order to bargain your way to an acceptance with a LOI.

The laughable part is that any comparison is necessary at all, but for some reason so many still don't understand... people will continue begging schools to accept them or promising 8 schools that they will come if accepted. What it does is ruin the entire purpose of the letter of intent to the point that they start losing their value for all applicants all together.
EVMS is closer to home and family than UMMSM, so I have that going for me. And no, a bunch of docs told me they sent LOI's to a school they were waitlisted at that was "better" than any school they were accepted at (ex. Got into Northwestern off waitlist after 2 LOI's even tho accepted to Loyola and UIC already). So LOI's are NOT just "bargaining tools." And I dislike your dating girls metaphor because that's obviously not how dating works IRL.

EVMS is closer to home and family than UMMSM, so I have that going for me. And no, a bunch of docs told me they sent LOI's to a school they were waitlisted at that was "better" than any school they were accepted at (ex. Got into Northwestern off waitlist after 2 LOI's even tho accepted to Loyola and UIC already). So LOI's are NOT just "bargaining tools." And I dislike your dating girls metaphor because that's obviously not how dating works IRL.
Yes, people do this all the time. It has little to to with the desired outcome, however. NW already knew they would come by seeing where they were holding!

I respect that our wisest adcoms, like @gyngyn, regard LOIs as useless indicators. I won't try to argue that they are useful. But there's no mystery as to why applicants are so hung up on LOIs: They are actively solicited by numerous admissions offices.

One program I interviewed at told us in no uncertain terms to let them know if we were interested in going there. They were not even talking about a waitlist situation, the idea was to send them before decisions were even out. And I can think of three other schools whose staff recommended that those interviewing reach out to tell them what we thought of the school. Obviously we were interested in their programs, as this was in the middle of the interview day. But they still thought that our words meant something.

What do these places hope to gain from LOIs? I don't claim to know, and I haven't asked. But despite what logic and metaphors may imply, some places want them.

Last edited:
What do these places hope to gain from LOIs? I don't claim to know, and I haven't asked. But despite what logic and metaphors may imply, some places want them.
At some point they are looking at their waitlist every day and figuring out how to increase their yield of the best candidates. If an excellent waitlist candidate accepted to an equally good or better school sends them a love letter, then and only then will an LOI have an effect. Their problem is that explaining this in detail to applicants in public is crass...

That means nothing. You have no idea that the LOI was the factor that caused the acceptance. It is unlikely Adcom members received his LOI and said, "Golly... maybe he really does want to come here and wasn't bluffing after all!" They would've sent the acceptance whether the LOI was sent or not.

At some point they are looking at their waitlist every day and figuring out how to increase their yield of the best candidates. If an excellent waitlist candidate accepted to equally good or better school sends them a love letter, then and only then will an LOI have an effect. Their problem is that explaining this in detail to applicants in public is crass...
If this does account for all of what I heard (and what other applicants heard), the presentation is strange. One program said, "We want to hear from you if we're your first choice," and clearly indicated that this was before decisions were to come out. Another, "Send us your thoughts about a week after the interview." Another dean is well-known for soliciting updates by email before decisions come out. Another school's fourth years told me that the person in charge of admissions listened when applicants told them that the place was their first choice before decisions were made.

I think we applicants are in a confusing situation. Why would they take the trouble to say these things if all they cared about was a waitlist situation? It doesn't seem crass to specify that we should only reach out if we've been waitlisted. Now, I agree that the logical place for LOIs is the spam folder. But you better believe that I sent at least something to every school that asked for it. What else would you recommend we do?

Last edited:
In the end, I agree that the logical place for LOIs is the spam folder. But you better believe that I sent at least something to every school that asked for it. What else would you recommend we do?
I cannot fault you for this since deans asked for it. I do want you to understand the context.

If this does account for all of what I heard (and what other applicants heard), the presentation is strange. One program said, "We want to hear from you if we're your first choice," and clearly indicated that this was before decisions were to come out. Another, "Send us your thoughts about a week after the interview." Another dean is well-known for soliciting updates by email before decisions come out. Another school's fourth years told me that the person in charge of admissions listened when applicants told them that the place was their first choice before decisions were made.

I think we applicants are in a confusing situation. Why would they take the trouble to say these things if all they cared about was a waitlist situation? It doesn't seem crass to specify that we should only reach out if we've been waitlisted. In the end, I agree that the logical place for LOIs is the spam folder. But you better believe that I sent at least something to every school that asked for it. What else would you recommend we do?

My opinion would be it depends what your wording is. If you say to each school, "thanks for the interview I love the program and really hope to attend it confirmed my interest etc," then that is ok. But if you say, "I will drop everything and attend if you accept me." It all becomes a case by case basis of whether that is a strong or weak statement depending on what the school needs and what you have to offer.

"We want to hear from you if we're your first choice" translates to, "if you're accepted to a better school let us know if you'd rather come here."

If not accepted to a better/highly comparable school, letting them know they are your first choice probably isn't going to change anything as they already know such. In that case, a letter of intent would be weak and perhaps a letter of interest would be a better option so you don't come off as desperate/pleading.

Edit: The entire point of the interview day presentation is to sell the school and get the best applicants. Of course the dean is going to tell EVERYONE to holler if they are their first choice. What he's not going to say is that they, like everyone else, want the best students in their program and would love to take those students from top schools if they are interested. So really he's only saying "please let us know" to those with better offers on the table. It would be unprofessional to explain this in detail during the presentation.

Last edited:
I cannot fault you for this since deans asked for it. I do want you to understand the context.
I appreciate the context.

@amad01 That's not too far from my thinking. I just aimed to be honest with all of them, and steered clear of "intent" language.

I do shared the experience of @breakintheroof. I've had deans stressing the importance of love letters and I had take home fliers stating, on the very first item, that they are "highly interested" in getting them. I don't think our experiences necessarily contradict what what @gyngyn and @amad01 were saying though.

I know that when I was interviewing (which seemed like ages ago), the Multiple Acceptance Reports had not been available. Pretty sure it's also the case for @breakintheroof as well. So the schools have no way of knowing where else you've been accepted to. As a result, the school say to everyone that they want to hear from you because it was quite reasonably to assume that at least some of the candidates will be accepted to schools that are "better". Especially this is the case for @breakintheroof , I mean it isn't hard to guess that he'd be having amazing options. Of course some of the less than stellar schools will be curious as to know if there are any semi-plausible reason that he might choose them over others. However, there is no way to communicate this delicately only to him, because that'd be...weird

I personally question the practice of schools who actively seeks out "love letters" and then place value on it. So I have not sent any. However, if we look at this from certain school's perspective, it can have some value. If a candidate can make some convincing argument that why he or she thinks a school might be more awesome than generally perceived, it shows that the candidate has done his homework, which is a plus. If a school is at a not-well known or not desirable location, then a love letter It also shows that the candidate will be good at selling the school to future candidates, which helps recruitment and PR. Least, we appreciate people's effort. A well written love letter might simply be heartwarming and a little bit of that might goes a long way. I mean, just look at how happy the students were when they received one bar of chocolate each from Michigan. Humans are susceptible to cheesy gestures, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I feel like some adcoms are more emotional than others. Whether it's serves the purpose better or worse is not something for me to speculate, but it's what it is.

I do shared the experience of @breakintheroof. I've had deans stressing the importance of love letters and I had take home fliers stating, on the very first item, that they are "highly interested" in getting them. I don't think our experiences necessarily contradict what what @gyngyn and @amad01 were saying though.

I know that when I was interviewing (which seemed like ages ago), the Multiple Acceptance Reports had not been available. Pretty sure it's also the case for @breakintheroof as well. So the schools have no way of knowing where else you've been accepted to. As a result, the school say to everyone that they want to hear from you because it was quite reasonably to assume that at least some of the candidates will be accepted to schools that are "better". Especially this is the case for @breakintheroof , I mean it isn't hard to guess that he'd be having amazing options. Of course some of the less than stellar schools will be curious as to know if there are any semi-plausible reason that he might choose them over others. However, there is no way to communicate this delicately only to him, because that'd be...weird

I personally question the practice of schools who actively seeks out "love letters" and then place value on it. So I have not sent any. However, if we look at this from certain school's perspective, it can have some value. If a candidate can make some convincing argument that why he or she thinks a school might be more awesome than generally perceived, it shows that the candidate has done his homework, which is a plus. It also shows that the candidate will be good at selling the school to future candidates, which helps recruitment and PR. Least, we appreciate people's effort. A well written love letter might simply be heartwarming and a little bit of that might goes a long way. I mean, just look at how happy the students were when they received one bar of chocolate from Michigan. I feel like some adcoms are more emotional than others. Whether it's serves the purpose better or worse is not mine to speculate, but it's a fact.
From experience, I can say that the waitlist has everything to do with getting the "best" candidate that will come over any emotional attachment!