*~*~*~* Official 2015-2016 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally accepted into dental school! This was my second time applying. For those still waiting to hear back and future applicants, never give up on something you really want. As cliche as it sounds, hard work and perseverance never go to waste. It gets hard to believe at times, but the key is to stay positive. Good luck to everyone :)

Acceptance #1: University of New England

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 22 users
Finally accepted into dental school! This was my second time applying. For those still waiting to hear back and future applicants, never give up on something you really want. As cliche as it sounds, hard work and perseverance never go to waste. It gets hard to believe at times, but the key is to stay positive. Good luck to everyone :)

Acceptance #1: University of New England
Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have applied more than once, did you write a new personal statement? Keep the first one the same? Make edits to the first one?

Congratulations to those who've been recently accepted off the waitlist! It gives me hope. I'm on one right now but I don't think it's gonna happen this cycle so it's time to apply again :(

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have applied more than once, did you write a new personal statement? Keep the first one the same? Make edits to the first one?

Congratulations to those who've been recently accepted off the waitlist! It gives me hope. I'm on one right now but I don't think it's gonna happen this cycle so it's time to apply again :(
I made the chronological outlines and recreated my personal statement adding my post bacc experiences.

everyone's situation is different, but I heard that it shows lack of motivation/passion when you turn in identical ps.

Acceptance number 2: university of New England

I wanted to withdraw a million times but it was my number one choice for so long. My deposit is already in at NYU. Currently deciding if I want to lose the deposit money.

I love both schools so much

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Coming from someone who recently rejected Boston to attend UNE, the price difference is pretty substantial. UNE's tution alone is 10k less a year, and the cost of living is also substantially less (costly of goods, apt, transportation). My apt im looking at now is 650/month with everything included. You'really probably looking at double or even more than that in the city. I figured out I'd save around 70k compared to Boston and I imagine it would be more when compared to NYU. Cost was a big factor for me, and one of the many reasons I chose UNE.

Coming from someone who recently rejected Boston to attend UNE, the price difference is pretty substantial. UNE's tution alone is 10k less a year, and the cost of living is also substantially less (costly of goods, apt, transportation). My apt im looking at now is 650/month with everything included. You'really probably looking at double or even more than that in the city. I figured out I'd save around 70k compared to Boston and I imagine it would be more when compared to NYU. Cost was a big factor for me, and one of the many reasons I chose UNE.

Lol this is true, I'm going to BU and rent is $2500 for a 2 bed! Thank God for merit scholarships

Army HPSP

Rent for a studio at UCLA costs $1,400 a month! Although the cost is cheaper than apartments in the surrounding area (Westwood), so I can't complain.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So here is the $200K+ question: do you go to a school $200k more expensive or do you wait another cycle and reapply?

So here is the $200K+ question: do you go to a school $200k more expensive or do you wait another cycle and reapply?
Depends on what the school is and how much your application has improved in the past year. If you haven't really done anything, your chances probably aren't much better in the new cycle

If you snag an acceptance and don't go, some schools will raise their eyebrows at you. Yes, they don't care about the costs on your end.

There's always the long term perspective. Waiting a year now basically is the same as trading one year of future income as a dentist for whatever you are making now.

Reactions: 1 users

The best school is the one you got in! I'll never understand people that consider to reapply when they already got acceptances.
If you knew you wouldn't go to an expensive school, why did you apply?
:sendoff::eyebrow:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The best school is the one you got in! I'll never understand people that consider to reapply when they already got acceptances.
If you knew you wouldn't go to an expensive school, why did you apply?
:sendoff::eyebrow:

it's called "second thoughts"

Reactions: 3 users
There's always the long term perspective. Waiting a year now basically is the same as trading one year of future income as a dentist for whatever you are making now.

$200,000@ 6.8% for 30 years is about $460K. I would like to meet the average first year dentist that makes $460K+. If this were the case there would be zero "second thought".

$200,000@ 6.8% for 30 years is about $460K. I would like to meet the average first year dentist that makes $460K+. If this were the case there would be zero "second thought".

Say your income is 100k a year which I believe is around average, if living frugally, after all your expenses you would have about 50k to spend a year towards your loan and you could theoretically pay it off within 5-6 years.

Say your income is 100k a year which I believe is around average, if living frugally, after all your expenses you would have about 50k to spend a year towards your loan and you could theoretically pay it off within 5-6 years.

You didn't account for any federal or state income tax which on average is around 35% together. Good luck living off $15,000/year.

Army HPSP

Not true. Let's pretend that he or she has a goal of retiring at 55. If you give up the acceptance at 22 years old, but get an acceptance at a cheaper school the following year, you are only giving up 1 year of potential income between 26 and 27. The money earned towards the end of retirement will be the same, but you will have lost about $120 in first year income. On the other hand, you will also be paying an extra $300k+ in loans after interest. That being said, there are no guarantees when applying to dental school and turning down an acceptance only to reapply the following year is a red flag to most adcoms

Not true. Let's pretend that he or she has a goal of retiring at 55. If you give up the acceptance at 22 years old, but get an acceptance at a cheaper school the following year, you are only giving up 1 year of potential income between 26 and 27. The money earned towards the end of retirement will be the same, but you will have lost about $120 in first year income. On the other hand, you will also be paying an extra $300k+ in loans after interest. That being said, there are no guarantees when applying to dental school and turning down an acceptance only to reapply the following year is a red flag to most adcoms

1. I think you are actually giving up a year of your upper limit of income... For arguments sake, lets just agree that there is an average amount of time one spends getting towards the point where they roughly approximate the high point of their income. This would be the time needed to work as an associate, buy a practice, build up said practice, etc. We could say that the amount of time to do this would be the same whether one graduates at 26 or 27. If it were to take 10 years to do this, and you retire at 55, then one person makes their upper income from 36 to 55 while another only makes this income from 37 to 55. Note to those that will quibble with the average amount of time to reach the upper end of their income, insert any number you like, the logic still stands.

2. If you reject #1 completely, then remember that the first year income of $120k has a time value as well. $120k invested for 29 years would take a large chunk out of that $300k. Maybe beat it if well invested, and that's a chance I would take.

I think we have agreement though. If offered an acceptance, take it.

1. I think you are actually giving up a year of your upper limit of income... For arguments sake, lets just agree that there is an average amount of time one spends getting towards the point where they roughly approximate the high point of their income. This would be the time needed to work as an associate, buy a practice, build up said practice, etc. We could say that the amount of time to do this would be the same whether one graduates at 26 or 27. If it were to take 10 years to do this, and you retire at 55, then one person makes their upper income from 36 to 55 while another only makes this income from 37 to 55. Note to those that will quibble with the average amount of time to reach the upper end of their income, insert any number you like, the logic still stands.

2. If you reject #1 completely, then remember that the first year income of $120k has a time value as well. $120k invested for 29 years would take a large chunk out of that $300k. Maybe beat it if well invested, and that's a chance I would take.

I think we have agreement though. If offered an acceptance, take it.

1. But what would be the difference in income between say, 36 and 37? I would argue not much, but I'm not an owner, so maybe it's substantial.

2. Yes, that money could grow if invested, but how much income will you realistically have left from 120k after paying 35% in taxes and making payments on a loan of 400-450k?

We can agree to disagree at this point, except yes, you should take the acceptance if offered. Look into the HPSP, NHC or other scholarship opportunities to reduce the amount of loans needed.

First acceptance - UDM.

That came down to the wire

Reactions: 10 users
First acceptance - UDM.

congrats! just out of curiosity... do you have any major red flags on ur app? saw you have a 25 aa and 3.5 gpa surprised you only got into one school and this late in the game since you got so many interviews!

First acceptance - UDM.

Congrats. Why do you think you were waitlisted for so long/got no acceptances with those stats? What were your weak points? (interview, EC, shadowing, PS)

Well, that means it's officially over
6359045647721164291278519689_2sYfuZPVqPqz_XXjBAnZu_vdEZ4.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Some dark, anxious part of me still worries that I've done something wrong, and come September, I'll be faced with a rescinded offer of admission...

...and have to apply All. Over. Again.

*shudders*

Some dark, anxious part of me still worries that I've done something wrong, and come September, I'll be faced with a rescinded offer of admission...

...and have to apply All. Over. Again.

*shudders*
I had a dream the other night that I apparently never finished high school and had to go back and finish before I could start dental school this fall.

Absolutely horrifying.

Reactions: 3 users
I had a dream the other night that I apparently never finished high school and had to go back and finish before I could start dental school this fall.

Absolutely horrifying.

one of my worst nightmares are that to find out at the end of the semester that i've signed for some classes, and actually forgot about them and about to receive F's for all of them. awful feeling.

Reactions: 2 users
one of my worst nightmares are that to find out at the end of the semester that i've signed for some classes, and actually forgot about them and about to receive F's for all of them. awful feeling.
Definitely have had that dream once or twice. Or suddenly finding out about a final/project in a class I had completely forgotten about. What a way to wake up.

There were times after I graduated I would wake up in a sweat thinking I forgot an assignment or a test. I reminded myself I was done and went back to sleep.

Damn, it would get my heart beatin'. Anyone else ever wake up feeling the same? Maybe it was because of all the classes I skipped...

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone think there will be movement on the waitlists from here to September :(

I am not familiar, do you mean the first set of applications haven't been sent to the schools yet ? Not too long ago the thread allowed comments and now it doesn't.
Yes the first batch of apps hasn't been sent yet. It appears the thread was made only yesterday.

There certainly is. AADSAS sends out applications every Friday after the first batch is sent.
Didn't they change that for this cycle? Why are people receiving emails from schools the day after they e-submit?

Didn't they change that for this cycle? Why are people receiving emails from schools the day after they e-submit?
The emails are automated. I got an email from UNC dental for their secondary before I even e-submitted last cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
The emails are automated. I got an email from UNC dental for their secondary before I even e-submitted last cycle.
Someone said yesterday that he got an interview invite (Midw Az). was that a troll?

Someone said yesterday that he got an interview invite (Midw Az). was that a troll?
Dunno. Probably. MWU-AZ sends invites the earliest but since the first applications haven't been mailed yet it's probably fake.

Well guys look like our time being stickied is done. Good luck to you all of you this year! It's been a fun ride I gotta say.

So blessed! I got into all three schools that I interviewed at (out of 7 I applied to!) now I have to decide where to go :)
Acceptance #1:
School: UNLV
Notification date: 12/1/15
Method of notification: email
Residency: Idaho
GPA (science, overall): 3.6, 3.6
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/19/24/none

Acceptance #2 Loma Linda
Method of notification: phone call

Acceptance #3 Midwestern- AZ
Method of notification: phone call

Tips to any future applicants: DONT APPLY LATE! I am a second time applicant and got wait listed at three schools last year and this year I got in because I applied as early as possible and last cycle I applied by October.
Im scheduled to take the dat next week, have already applied to a few schools, but when I get my scores back I'm planning on applying to more. So what it seems like the average timeline of DAT scores being sent to schools, my application will probably be complete by the end of august early september. Do you think thats late? I just didn't want to take the DAT when i didn't feel ready

Im scheduled to take the dat next week, have already applied to a few schools, but when I get my scores back I'm planning on applying to more. So what it seems like the average timeline of DAT scores being sent to schools, my application will probably be complete by the end of august early september. Do you think thats late? I just didn't want to take the DAT when i didn't feel ready

I wouldn't say it's late more like "on time". I took my DAT 8/14/15 and had 4 pre dec interviews. Also, once you get your score report, email/fax your scores to your schools.
Even if they don't accept unofficial scores, it's good for them know that the scores are on the way.

Interview #3!!
School: Indiana University
Method of notification: E-mail
Interview Date: TBD
Residency: MI
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/02
GPA: 3.06 science 2.96 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21 AA/22 TS/19 PAT

Hey man, I am looking to apply to dental school next cycle. Would you be able to PM me for some tips?

Week into class and I finally got a UNE rejection email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 9 users
Week into class and I finally got a UNE rejection email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"
The Doctor of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your admissions materials. Unfortunately, your application has not been placed among those few who have been selected for admission in Fall 2016.

The selection process is never easy and becomes more difficult as the number of students seeking admission increases. With a very competitive applicant pool, individuals who exceed the essential qualifications have the strongest chance of being selected. I am sorry this letter does not bring more positive news regarding your status.

Thank you for your interest in the University of New England and the Doctor of Dental Medicine program. We wish you much success with your academic and professional goals."

Yep....as I'm walking into my dental anatomy class hahaha.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys! Just a quick question -- Did anyone in here submit their application late (October ish) and still receive interviews/acceptances?