*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the final stages of finishing my primary and have listed these courses under "biology" since content wise they were about 50% psych, 50% bio from my experience, is it likely that AMCAS would reclassify them as BESS instead? i'm not sure what to put them under :/

cognitive psychology
perceptual development
research in developmental psychology

Likely none will be left as BCPM, but it doesnt impact you if AMCAS changes them

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this question might be redundant, is transcript required for the verification process, since my transcript will be arrived 2 weeks after application submission! I know about the transcript deadline with regards to school deadlines but I am not sure whether I would face a problem if my transcript would not arrive during the verification process!

Sorry if this question might be redundant, is transcript required for the verification process, since my transcript will be arrived 2 weeks after application submission! I know about the transcript deadline with regards to school deadlines but I am not sure whether I would face a problem if my transcript would not arrive during the verification process!
They won't be able to verify without the transcript. When did you submit? It takes about ~4 weeks after you submit for them to get to your application.

They won't be able to verify without the transcript. When did you submit? It takes about ~4 weeks after you submit for them to get to your application.

Thanks for the update, I will have to send it again via courier then!!!

I had a question regarding LORs. I was wondering if our referees have decided to submit the RL online, how could they e able to send the LOR request form so AMCAS can easily verify the letter and match it to our application, since I read somewhere that it would be best if they send the request form in order to match the letter to our app!!

I had a question regarding LORs. I was wondering if our referees have decided to submit the RL online, how could they e able to send the LOR request form so AMCAS can easily verify the letter and match it to our application, since I read somewhere that it would be best if they send the request form in order to match the letter to our app!!

They do so by uploading the letter under the correct AMCAS ID See below under question for
Letters of Evaluation: For Your Letter Authors

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/letters/

They do so by uploading the letter under the correct AMCAS ID See below under question for
Letters of Evaluation: For Your Letter Authors

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/letters/

Thanks so much for your response. I know about the letter ID and letter ID which can be used to match to the applicant, but I read that it would be better if they can attach the request form with the letter so the it can be matched to the applicant application! I cant remember where I read this!!

Another question I have about LOR, would you please clarify that whether this is true " until the LOR are not received, application does not get verified " ?

In other words, is it true that the application does start to get verified until our RL are received???!

I thought the verification of the application only requires the transcripts and the completed application!

Another question I have about LOR, would you please clarify that whether this is true " until the LOR are not received, application does not get verified " ?

In other words, is it true that the application does start to get verified until our RL are received???!

I thought the verification of the application only requires the transcripts and the completed application!

Completely false: letters are processed separately from AMCAS primary application. LOR status will have no, repeat no, impact on AMCAS primary application verification.

An application is not complete at a specific school until :1) AMCAS Primary; 2) MCAT report; 3) School specific secondary; 4) LORs are all on file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely false: letters are processed separately from AMCAS primary application. LOR status will have no, repeat no, impact on AMCAS primary application verification.

An application is not complete at a specific school until :1) AMCAS Primary; 2) MCAT report; 3) School specific secondary; 4) LORs are all on file.

Great, thanks so much for verifying this, I got really stressed out since I know my LORs wont be received by Aug 15 and I got scared that my application wont be starting to get verified by that time!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does AMCAS display our calculated GPA the way TMDSAS does? Or post their conversion of our credit units/semester hours?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does AMCAS display our calculated GPA the way TMDSAS does? Or post their conversion of our credit units/semester hours?
upload_2016-7-19_12-49-34.png

Just expand on @Catalystik , it will be shown in semester credit hours. So if you originally had quarter hours, it will be converted. That way all applicants can be compared on the same format

My application is verified

Question. I have three letters assigned to schools. One is a letter packet and amcas has received it. The other two are individual letters. Will amcas send the letter packet to all my schools or will they wait until the two individual letters are received?

My application is verified

Question. I have three letters assigned to schools. One is a letter packet and amcas has received it. The other two are individual letters. Will amcas send the letter packet to all my schools or will they wait until the two individual letters are received?

Letters will be sent out as soon as they are received; they will not wait for all letters to arrive

I am having trouble deciding how to include my poster presentations and publications on AMCAS. I have been a part of 11 poster presentations (4 as first author) at 4 different conferences. I am a first author in one paper and a co-author in 3 other papers. Do I have to list the titles of everything or can I say something like "I'll be happy to talk about these presentations/papers if I get a chance to meet you." I mentioned the journals everything is published in, but I worry that I won't have space for the titles.

I took Calculus-based Physics over 5 years ago but recently took Algebra-based Physics as a refresher for the MCAT. Would this be considered a Repeated course, or not, since the course number and title are all different?

I took Calculus-based Physics over 5 years ago but recently took Algebra-based Physics as a refresher for the MCAT. Would this be considered a Repeated course, or not, since the course number and title are all different?
its general/introductory physics in both cases and would be considered a repeat by adcoms therefore it needs to be listed as such

I also had a small question. In the AMCAS guide it says,
"If no hours appear on your official transcript, leave the item blank unless the credits have been removed as a result of failure, repeat, academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policy." Does leaving the item blank mean I should not input this course into AMCAS at all? I took two courses which are not for credits. I received a grade but in the credit hours section, it is noted as courses that was not taken for credit so 0. Also, I heard any course without any credit hours is not counted towards your GPA. Am I right?

I also had a small question. In the AMCAS guide it says,
"If no hours appear on your official transcript, leave the item blank unless the credits have been removed as a result of failure, repeat, academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policy." Does leaving the item blank mean I should not input this course into AMCAS at all? I took two courses which are not for credits. I received a grade but in the credit hours section, it is noted as courses that was not taken for credit so 0. Also, I heard any course without any credit hours is not counted towards your GPA. Am I right?

If no credits are attempted and and no credit hours earned, you do not need to report it or list on AMCAS
(ie a course that is taken with no credit ever offered)
If credit hours are attempted and no credit hours earned, you must report it and list on AMCAS
(a course that had credit offered but you failed and thus didnt earn credit).

Since GPA is grade weight x credit attempted, a course with no credit attempted cant be part of GPA as, you may have learned sometime in the course of the 16 years of education you had that multiplying anything times zero is zero

Hey everyone,

How would you enter epidemiology or infectious disease? I took both classes for my public health major, but I'm wondering if epidemiology can count for math and infectious disease (with lab) for biology?

Edit: More info, the pre-req for my epi class was stats and for infectious disease was gen bio

Hey everyone,

How would you enter epidemiology or infectious disease? I took both classes for my public health major, but I'm wondering if epidemiology can count for math and infectious disease (with lab) for biology?

Edit: More info, the pre-req for my epi class was stats and for infectious disease was gen bio
neither, they are health science and not BCPM

Dear @Catalystik , I was wondering if the grades we have entered are not showing up in the same order as it is in the transcript but they are in the same group year , should we delete everything and enter them all over again? since I read somewhere that they order is better to be the same as transcript

for example :

on transcript it shows:
2011-2012
Chem 200
phys 120
Biol 200

But we have
2011-2012

phys 120
Biol 200
Chem 200

Dear @Catalystik , I was wondering if the grades we have entered are not showing up in the same order as it is in the transcript but they are in the same group year , should we delete everything and enter them all over again? since I read somewhere that they order is better to be the same as transcript

for example :

on transcript it shows:
2011-2012
Chem 200
phys 120
Biol 200

But we have
2011-2012

phys 120
Biol 200
Chem 200

Its in the directions

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p35)Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the
school where they were originally attempted.

Dear @Catalystik ,

This is what I found from AMCAS, but I was also wondering what I should enter as the grade for a thesis course with no grade since on AMCAS it gives me a warning that my app might get delayed if I dont enter grade and on my transcript for the standing section, it just says:
" T" for thesis
AMCAS :
Deferred Grade

Any single course that officially takes more than one term to complete before the final grade and credit hours are awarded (e.g., research, thesis, and dissertation credits). Deferred Grade coursework is not the same as Repeat, Incomplete, or sequential levels of a subject (e.g., Spanish I, Spanish II, etc.) with final grades awarded at each level.

Make a separate entry for each term:

· Use Deferred Grade for each entry for which there is no final grade. No AMCAS grade will be assigned.

· Do NOT use the Deferred Grade type for the entry that includes the final grade.

Its in the directions

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p35)Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the
school where they were originally attempted.

thanks for the response, so, if I have the following order, how can I change them without deleting the whole courses!!
Another thing I have noticed, the system changes the order of the courses when I have to enter a course as a full year course

thanks for the response, so, if I have the following order, how can I change them without deleting the whole courses!!
You cant
Another thing I have noticed, the system changes the order of the courses when I have to enter a course as a full year course
Then just leave it as such

You cant

Then just leave it as such

So, in that case, if i have the following order in my AMCAS app

2011-2012
Chem 200
phys 120
Biol 200

But I have entered them as:
2011-2012

phys 120
Biol 200
Chem 200

Should I delete them all and enter again?

Dear @Catalystik ,

This is what I found from AMCAS, but I was also wondering what I should enter as the grade for a thesis course with no grade since on AMCAS it gives me a warning that my app might get delayed if I dont enter grade and on my transcript for the standing section, it just says:
" T" for thesis
AMCAS :
Deferred Grade

Any single course that officially takes more than one term to complete before the final grade and credit hours are awarded (e.g., research, thesis, and dissertation credits). Deferred Grade coursework is not the same as Repeat, Incomplete, or sequential levels of a subject (e.g., Spanish I, Spanish II, etc.) with final grades awarded at each level.

Make a separate entry for each term:

· Use Deferred Grade for each entry for which there is no final grade. No AMCAS grade will be assigned.

· Do NOT use the Deferred Grade type for the entry that includes the final grade.
Will you eventually get a grade for the thesis? Then it looks like you should enter "Deferred" even though the transcript says "T".

Will you eventually get a grade for the thesis? Then it looks like you should enter "Deferred" even though the transcript says "T".
Thanks so much for your response.
No, we wont get any grade for it. but since AMCAS still has space for the grade and it gave me warning about not entering a grade for the deferred course, I thought whether it would be fine if I input T for the grade entry

Can I check the boxes of deferred grade and the pass/fail since it was indeed a pass/fail and AMCAS indicated that thesis must be input as deferred grade

Thanks so much for your response.
No, we wont get any grade for it. but since AMCAS still has space for the grade and it gave me warning about not entering a grade for the deferred course, I thought whether it would be fine if I input T for the grade entry
Can I check the boxes of deferred grade and the pass/fail since it was indeed a pass/fail and AMCAS indicated that thesis must be input as deferred grade
You are confusing me.

You are confusing me.

Sorry for the confusion, we did not get any grade for the thesis course as indicated in my transcript. throughout the 2 years, I have the thesis course in my transcript indicated as T and no credit given, but at the final term of graduate school, I got Pass standing with 18 credits earned.

Sorry for the confusion, we did not get any grade for the thesis course as indicated in my transcript. throughout the 2 years, I have the thesis course in my transcript indicated as T and no credit given, but at the final term of graduate school, I got Pass standing with 18 credits earned.
Thank you for the additional explanatory information. You would enter "DG" for Deferred Grade for each term before the last. In the last term you would enter "P" for Pass.

Thank you for the additional explanatory information. You would enter "DG" for Deferred Grade for each term before the last. In the last term you would enter "P" for Pass.
Great, thanks so much

how do you check the status of your application once you submit it? Does each school notify you when they get your app (1 of my schools notified me), but I'm not sure if every school sends an email... is there a way to check on the app?

so I plan on retaking my MCAT. Can schools give me an acceptance letter (assuming they really like me) without having the score for my retake? Or will they only give me the acceptance after my retake is complete. Because I know they can give secondaries out prior to the retake right?

so I plan on retaking my MCAT. Can schools give me an acceptance letter (assuming they really like me) without having the score for my retake? Or will they only give me the acceptance after my retake is complete. Because I know they can give secondaries out prior to the retake right?

Can u actually retake in January and still apply this year>?

Dear @Catalystik

Quick question about course entry,

I have entered my courses more defined description, for example, on my transcript this course is represented as:
ORG CHEM BIO SCI

But on the course description website of univ: it is : Organic Chemistry for the Biological Sciences

Which one should I use, although I know AMCAS has advised to enter as it is represented on transcript

Hi SDN,

One of my letter writers didn't put her signature on the letter, and I got an email from a school about it. She re-uploaded the letter with a signature last week.

Will schools automatically get the updated letter or do I resend the letters to my schools somehow??

Dear @Catalystik

Quick question about course entry,

I have entered my courses more defined description, for example, on my transcript this course is represented as:
ORG CHEM BIO SCI

But on the course description website of univ: it is : Organic Chemistry for the Biological Sciences

Which one should I use, although I know AMCAS has advised to enter as it is represented on transcript

Put it as it appears on transcript.

Status
Not open for further replies.