**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014-2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection without interview!!!
How UCSF review applications?.

AA/TS/PAT: 24/25/30. Nothing below 20
GPA: 4.06
CA resident
Healthcare job experience
Reasonable amount of community service and leadership.
Research
Reapplied .

Really Shocked. It was my TOP choice!
I can't believe it..

Your stats are too good. Maybe if you had some fun in college and gotten a B or two you'd have more of a chance. It's the classic we'll-reject-you-because-we-know-you'll-get-in-somewhere-else routine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users

CA resident
Research
Reapplied .

I can't believe it..

I think the dental schools said if you lie about your GPA they will reject you

Reactions: 2 users

Your stats are too good. Maybe if you had some fun in college and gotten a B or two you'd have more of a chance. It's the classic we'll-reject-you-because-we-know-you'll-get-in-somewhere-else routine....
How about those of us that had way too much fun in college? :soexcited::(....................LOL

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3rd interview invite for Louisville!!

Praise da Lorde ya ya ya
:claps:

Reactions: 4 users
Rejection from West Virginia...not even upset, that school was at the bottom of my list

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
man, any more movements or invites from vcu and UMD? haven't heard a beep from them since September!
Not even a secondary from UMD! come on !

Has anyone been rejected from California schools? I know some of you have been accepted to some but this thread doesn't seem to contribute too much to California :arghh:

Has anyone been rejected from California schools? I know some of you have been accepted to some but this thread doesn't seem to contribute too much to California :arghh:
There's plenty of news from cali in this thread o_O

UCSF: lots of rejections. good amount of acceptances
UCLA: only acceptances
USC: acceptance/waitlists
Western: acceptance/ no news (no WL/ some rejections
LLU: only acceptance
UOP: only acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
There's plenty of news from cali in this thread o_O

UCSF: lots of rejections. good amount of acceptances
UCLA: only acceptances
USC: acceptance/waitlists
Western: acceptance/ no news (no WL/ some rejections
LLU: only acceptance
UOP: only acceptance

you are amazing for this breakdown.

CA resident
Research
Reapplied .

I can't believe it..

I can't help but think that you rejecting 3 acceptances during your previous cycle played a part. If you get in to only 1 school, even if it is your last choice, most people would probably tell you to still go there unless there's a HUGE reason why you're against it (in that case why would you have even applied if you wouldn't go before hell freezes over?). You got accepted to not 1, but *3* schools and declined them all to reapply next year for UCSF. I'm sure you'll still get in this cycle somewhere if you haven't already, but that was just a wasted year at this point unless you decline everyone and reapply for UCSF...again.

I can't help but think that you rejecting 3 acceptances during your previous cycle played a part. If you get in to only 1 school, even if it is your last choice, most people would probably tell you to still go there unless there's a HUGE reason why you're against it (in that case why would you have even applied if you wouldn't go before hell freezes over?). You got accepted to not 1, but *3* schools and declined them all to reapply next year for UCSF. I'm sure you'll still get in this cycle somewhere if you haven't already, but that was just a wasted year at this point unless you decline everyone and reapply for UCSF...again.

Rejected 3 acceptances!? I'll be lucky to get 1. Heck if he/she was going to apply to multiple schools only to reject their offer thrn when even apply in the first place? Just apply to UCSF if that's the only school they'll attend. Sounds like someone feels entitled.

man, any more movements or invites from vcu and UMD? haven't heard a beep from them since September!
Not even a secondary from UMD! come on !
The only thing I have heard from VCU is that they received all my stuff after that snafu with the committee letter. Not a word since then (AADSAS portal was updated 11/13 to reflect).

Rejected 3 acceptances!? I'll be lucky to get 1. Heck if he/she was going to apply to multiple schools only to reject their offer thrn when even apply in the first place? Just apply to UCSF if that's the only school they'll attend. Sounds like someone feels entitled....

Could not agree more. Who in the hell rejects an acceptance without a better option?

agreed, but when people apply, they do broadly and some schools are just mere back ups. When they only get into those schools, it suddenly occurs to them that there's no way they will attend there. I think a lot of people make that mistake.

I applied to 3 california school, but I am from east coast and my family is in east coast as well. If I only get into cali school, I am not so sure if my decision to attend there would be as easy as it sounds.

But yeah, turning down 3 acceptances and waiting another year seems like a lot.

Rejected 3 acceptances!? I'll be lucky to get 1. Heck if he/she was going to apply to multiple schools only to reject their offer thrn when even apply in the first place? Just apply to UCSF if that's the only school they'll attend. Sounds like someone feels entitled....

Future applicants. Do not turn down 3 acceptances just because you want to go to one school. It is likely that school will not worth another year of anxiety and money.

Nobody is better than the adcom at selecting the applicants that will fit well at their school. If you didnt get selected, there is a reason.

Plus, this will happen. You dont get in, and now the other schools are pissed because you turned them down last cycle.

Future applicants. Do not turn down 3 acceptances just because you want to go to one school. It is likely that school will not worth another year of anxiety and money.

Nobody is better than the adcom at selecting the applicants that will fit well at their school. If you didnt get selected, there is a reason.

Plus, this will happen. You dont get in, and now the other schools are pissed because you turned them down last cycle.
This should be stickied and mandatory reading for all new posters.

CA resident
Research
Reapplied .

I can't believe it..

Never reject an acceptance. If you didn't even interview , then do not bother waiting for next year. By the way. Never give up an opportunity to better yourself as a person or academically , with the hope of a better opportunity coming along. It says a lot about one's character and determination.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed, but when people apply, they do broadly and some schools are just mere back ups. When they only get into those schools, it suddenly occurs to them that there's no way they will attend there. I think a lot of people make that mistake.

I applied to 3 california school, but I am from east coast and my family is in east coast as well. If I only get into cali school, I am not so sure if my decision to attend there would be as easy as it sounds.

But yeah, turning down 3 acceptances and waiting another year seems like a lot. ...

I respectfully disagree. If you want something bad , you will make it work. It's not about just your future but about your whole family's future. I do not know if by family you mean wife and kids, or parents, but still there are ways to make things work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everybody for the comments.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. If you want something bad , you will make it work. It's not about just your future but about your whole family's future. I do not know if by family you mean wife and kids, or parents, but still there are ways to make things work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

I have to disagree with you on that just like you did with me, because dental school is indeed very important for an individual and his/her future, but there are other things going on in their lives, be it their immediate family, or their parents, or siblings. Just because they were accepted to a school doesn't mean they can drop everything else and commit to dental school only.

For sure, it was initially that person's mistake for applying to the schools they possibly will not attend, but it's easy to make that mistake when they don't know for certain whether they will be accepted to their top choice or not. We just create a back up plan, but you don't always follow through with it.

Everyone's situation is different, so noone can reallly judge.

So i thought to update my status in here as well. Only applied to 6 schools total.

2 rejections so far: NYU and UCSF (email)
1 interview: Western (phone call)
Major: Biochemistry (UCLA)
Residency: California
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/1/14
GPA (Science, Overall): 3.70, 3.70
DAT (AA/TS/PAT)= 22,24,24

Now left with 3: UCLA, USC, and UOP. As far as i know they have not sent any rejections out yet.

Good luck everybody!

What was the name of the scholarship to UM?
There was no name attached to it, just a call and then a formal letter saying that I the offer came with a set amount of scholarship for each of the 4 years. No foundation name or grant names.

Welp! rejected from my state school after receiving an email addressed to someone else from UTHSC. It was indeed for me and there was a glitch. Not sure what my next step is. I'm waiting to hear back from 9 or so other schools but I know it is somewhat of a lost cause since I haven't had any interviews. SMP or....i have no idea.

If I had my interview at Umich on november 21st but didn't hear back on december 1st, do I still have a chance of getting in?

If I had my interview at Umich on november 21st but didn't hear back on december 1st, do I still have a chance of getting in?

Similar situation as you from BU... Last year, a guy with pre-december interview and didnt hear back on Dec 2nd got waitlisted... So I am assuming the same. Bummer

So I am still taking ochem and physics this year...do you guys think this will be detrimental to my acceptance this round considering these classes are still technically pending?:grumpy:
Hopefully not... I am still taking or will take all the prerequisites (bio, chem, phys, ochem, microbio, biochem...)

Super late update.
Accepted Dec 1: Case Western, Boston University, and U of Pittsburgh!
Wait-listed at UCONN :(
Interviewed pre-Dec, no decisions yet: Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland
Rejected, no interview at UCSF
Application on Hold at Marquette, and silence from Columbia, Harvard and Rutgers.

Received post-Dec invites at Temple (12/4) and UPENN (12/8), but have not scheduled and likely wont. Although I still feel like I'm somehow missing out :( Withdrew Tufts application (interview scheduled Dec. 2nd and already accepted)
Will most likely attend Pitt!

I interviewed on the same day and haven't heard back yet. I know of at least one person that did receive an acceptance on Dec. 1, so I'm not sure how good our chances are at this point. Statistically though, a high number of those that interview are offered admission, so we just need to be patient and hope for the best.

sorry for the late post, I was accepted to both NYU and VCU (instate) on Dec. 1st ... will be dropping VCU!
Hopefully someone gets the best of this opportunity :)

sorry for the late post, I was accepted to both NYU and VCU (instate) on Dec. 1st ... will be dropping VCU!
Hopefully someone gets the best of this opportunity :)
Wha... you dropped your in-state college to attend the more significantly expensive option!?

Reactions: 4 users
interview from Stony Brook.. still deciding whether I should go to it or not..... any recommendations?

ACCEPTED to the University of Iowa!! I also got a merit scholarship which will help cut the costs of attending!

tumblr_inline_mtwlrqiTCg1qih9gi.gif

Rejection letter from Harvard. Lol wasn't expecting anything from them anyway.

interview from Stony Brook.. still deciding whether I should go to it or not..... any recommendations?
Are you in state? I really loved the school when I interviewed there.. But if you realistically don't see yourself going there then I wouldn't go.. Just my opinion.

Are you in state? I really loved the school when I interviewed there.. But if you realistically don't see yourself going there then I wouldn't go.. Just my opinion.
yes I am in-state.. i got into Buffalo already (im an undergrad there).. im dont really wanna leave but many people are telling me to go to the interview because i have nothing to lose

Wha... you dropped your in-state college to attend the more significantly expensive option!?

It was definitely a tough decision, but after looking at my options, NYU came ahead for me. I know that it is way more expensive, but cost aside, it was just a better option for personal reasons.
Regardless of my decision, I know many are looking to go to VCU, so someone else will make better use of my spot :)
Congrats to all!

yes I am in-state.. i got into Buffalo already (im an undergrad there).. im dont really wanna leave but many people are telling me to go to the interview because i have nothing to lose
Congrats! True, you do have nothing to lose. Just keep in mind they have a really small class size and I know that doesn't excite some people, but I really loved their program. If you're willing to travel for the interview then go for it! Good luck!

So I am still taking ochem and physics this year...do you guys think this will be detrimental to my acceptance this round considering these classes are still technically pending?:grumpy:
I don't think so, I still have ochem 2 to take in spring and am taking phys 1 this semester and phys 2 in the spring. I was accepted to UNLV and Rutgers on Dec. 1st. So it wouldn't be detrimental, unless say your DAT doesn't show that you can handle ochem.

Super late update.
Accepted Dec 1: Case Western, Boston University, and U of Pittsburgh!
Wait-listed at UCONN :(
Interviewed pre-Dec, no decisions yet: Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland
Rejected, no interview at UCSF
Application on Hold at Marquette, and silence from Columbia, Harvard and Rutgers.

Received post-Dec invites at Temple (12/4) and UPENN (12/8), but have not scheduled and likely wont. Although I still feel like I'm somehow missing out :( Withdrew Tufts application (interview scheduled Dec. 2nd and already accepted)
Will most likely attend Pitt!
We'll be classmates!