Ohio State University class of 2018 hopefulls!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
addendum: it looks like ohio's vetmed buildings are separate but close together.... the hospital is separate from the academic building and labs. at least we aren't having to trek huge distances in the outdoors though.

Members don't see this ad.

OSU has two main separate buildings, one for the hospital facilities (small animals, equine, bovine) and one for lecture halls/classrooms. they are separated as in a college quad with green and sidewalks outside. check the whether beforehand, but boots might be a safer bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current students that started as OOS have information about obtaining residency after the first yeat? I am concerned about the limits for not leaving the state for more than 30 days a year.

Just got my rejection email. Buckeye link isn't updated yet to reflect that. :( Happy finals week to me

At least we don't have to feel like we're the only rejected applicant. Hopefully we'll get better e-mails from other schools! Try to stay positive everyone!

Do any current students that started as OOS have information about obtaining residency after the first yeat? I am concerned about the limits for not leaving the state for more than 30 days a year.

It's true. You need to jump through all of their hoops to get residency, but it's totally worth it! We were really bummed because they sprung the 30 day limit on our class at the last moment, but we had to make do. Did you have any specific questions regarding residency or did you just want to confirm?

Sorry about the rejections, guys. Chin up and muddle through! Hopefully you guys have some more schools to hear from!!!

And good luck to everyone interviewing this week!

So that means you guys can't go home for the summer doesn't it? Even if you maintained an apartment to call home during your break?

So that means you guys can't go home for the summer doesn't it? Even if you maintained an apartment to call home during your break?

We can leave for up to 2 weeks over the summer. Though, technically, you can get your residency paperwork done at the beginning of the summer, get approved, and then do whatever you want afterwards (they don't really check on you after you get residency though they theoretically could). But you didn't hear that from me.

Got my rejection email... Feel like crap now :/ I thought I would at least get an interview because Ohio accepts a lot of OOS. hopefully we all were just missing something Ohio is looking for and we'll get in somewhere else!

Reactions: 1 user
So does this interfere with winter or spring break and holiday plans out of ohio? How do you prove or do they check if you stayed in Ohio? I'm concerned I'll never see my family in MI

Members don't see this ad :)
We can leave for up to 2 weeks over the summer. Though, technically, you can get your residency paperwork done at the beginning of the summer, get approved, and then do whatever you want afterwards (they don't really check on you after you get residency though they theoretically could). But you didn't hear that from me.
Sorry I forgot to quote this in my above post.

So does this interfere with winter or spring break and holiday plans out of ohio? How do you prove or do they check if you stayed in Ohio? I'm concerned I'll never see my family in MI

It did interfere. But everyone's in the same boat. I think I spent a week out of town for winter break and spring break each, a couple days for Thanksgiving, and then spent the rest over the summer. You need to include grocery shopping/gas bills/etc. in your residency application so that's how they check. You need to list all of the dates you left Ohio on your residency app. I don't think they are super nitpicky, but if you said you spent one week out of Ohio and don't have grocery bills for an entire month, they'll probably get suspicious.

got my rejection e-mail as well........seeing as this is my IS school, things aren't looking hopeful for me this cycle :/

I'm really happy for all of you that did get an interview, and I wish you the best!!!!!

Got my rejection email too :( but I still have 4 other to hear from including my is

Rejected here too....I'm glad not to be strung along though.

Yay for beer!!!

Reactions: 4 users
It did interfere. But everyone's in the same boat. I think I spent a week out of town for winter break and spring break each, a couple days for Thanksgiving, and then spent the rest over the summer. You need to include grocery shopping/gas bills/etc. in your residency application so that's how they check. You need to list all of the dates you left Ohio on your residency app. I don't think they are super nitpicky, but if you said you spent one week out of Ohio and don't have grocery bills for an entire month, they'll probably get suspicious.

Thanks so much! I understand better now. Do you feel it is doable? How much does it hinder your plans? This is a big factor for deciding if I want to go here. I also have a SO that would stay in MI so that's a concern too.

Thanks so much! I understand better now. Do you feel it is doable? How much does it hinder your plans? This is a big factor for deciding if I want to go here. I also have a SO that would stay in MI so that's a concern too.

I think it's doable. 99% of our OOS students get residency. It just takes some sacrifices. For example, it might be better for your SO to travel to you instead of you going to him (or her) all the time. It didn't hinder my plans much--I made plans around the requirements. I think it would be silly to attend OSU and NOT get residency, since it cuts your tuition bill almost in half. I would say wait and see if you have a decision to make and then go from there :) If OSU is the only school you get into, then you have a big decision to make. If you get into a school that fits more with your lifestyle, then that's another situation.

I think it's doable. 99% of our OOS students get residency. It just takes some sacrifices. For example, it might be better for your SO to travel to you instead of you going to him (or her) all the time. It didn't hinder my plans much--I made plans around the requirements. I think it would be silly to attend OSU and NOT get residency, since it cuts your tuition bill almost in half. I would say wait and see if you have a decision to make and then go from there :) If OSU is the only school you get into, then you have a big decision to make. If you get into a school that fits more with your lifestyle, then that's another situation.

Thanks! I definitely will have to wait and see... all these unknowns are scary! Just hypothetical worrying for now ;) haha. Your input is very helpful. Are there any requirements for after graduation as far as staying in OH?

Thanks! I definitely will have to wait and see... all these unknowns are scary! Just hypothetical worrying for now ;) haha. Your input is very helpful. Are there any requirements for after graduation as far as staying in OH?

Nope!

And no problem. Glad to help (and to procrastinate studying for my final tomorrow :p )

Reactions: 1 users
addendum: it looks like ohio's vetmed buildings are separate but close together.... the hospital is separate from the academic building and labs. at least we aren't having to trek huge distances in the outdoors though.

Thanks for checking that out!

OSU has two main separate buildings, one for the hospital facilities (small animals, equine, bovine) and one for lecture halls/classrooms. they are separated as in a college quad with green and sidewalks outside. check the whether beforehand, but boots might be a safer bet.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm thinking I'll have to keep my luggage with me throughout the day anyway, so I'll just bring a change of clothes for the tour and count on wearing boots.

Anyone else interviewing on the 17th?

REJECTION PARTY!! Who's coming?

Please add what you will bring and what you will wear.

Will bring: vodka, no mixers - because I don't have time to fool around
Will wear: pool floatees but still wearing my t-shirt - because that's how I do

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for checking that out!

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm thinking I'll have to keep my luggage with me throughout the day anyway, so I'll just bring a change of clothes for the tour and count on wearing boots.

Anyone else interviewing on the 17th?

I'll be there Smudgen!! My interview is early afternoon, so nervous!!

Also, so sorry for the rejections for some of you :cryi:...

I have a friend that goes to OSU and she is from PA. I know that you have to be financially independent (no source of income from parents, family, etc.) Was there any other concerns in particular?

I have a friend that goes to OSU and she is from PA. I know that you have to be financially independent (no source of income from parents, family, etc.) Was there any other concerns in particular?

Just the ones I posted above. Any input to add?

@vetgirl84 - I don't know if you or the others on this thread already know about it, but in case you don't - there's a section on SDN with lots of good interview advice for each school. This is the page for OSU (just expand the 'Questions' section to see the full thing):

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/osu-vet/survey/26

Hopefully that link works properly... :D

Thanks for pointing that out! I had clicked on that link earlier, but didn't see the 'Questions' section~ that helps a lot!

Does anyone happen to know what they plan to wear for the tour/lunch/other activities besides the interview? I can't decide if I should bring a change of clothes for that or plan to wear my suit with some boots rather than heels. Also, does anyone know if there will be a place for us to leave our luggage throughout the day? I'm flying in so will not have a car to leave things in ...

I know that the dinner the day before the interviews it says to dress business casual. My interview is in the afternoon, which means I'll be doing the tour in the morning. I'm staying at the hotel for another day, so I may go back after the tour and change into my suit, but don't know if I'll have time depending on the driving time/parking situation. Shoes have been on my mind too!

That's me! haha.

I'm in my first year and currently working on my residency. At first the rules were very confusing but I think I understand everything now. The 30 days does suck a little, but it's not the end of the world. You can be out of the state for 30 days during a 12 month period, but no more than two weeks at a time. So far, I've gone home for a few days at Thanksgiving. I'm planning to go home for about a week for Christmas. My SO and my parents come here to visit me since I can't go home as often so it's not like I never see them. You do have to be financially independent. If you're concerned about the residency rules when choosing between Ohio State and other schools, I would talk to someone in the registrars office, but it's not as complicated as it first seems!

For the dinner the night before I wore black dress pants and dressy shirt but some people wore their suits. Wore a suit for the interview with black heels. I wish I would have worn dressy boots or flats for the tour. You don't have to go outside very much (just from the parking lot to the door, and then from the academic building to the hospital). The hospital is very close to the academic building. It's all around one parking lot. The snow has been sucky here this week so if you're interviewing this month dress warm and be prepared for snowy weather!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I know I had a million questions last year preparing for my interview!

Last edited:

I'll Be there the 17th! :) Is everyone going to the dinner the night before? Also is anyone bringing family with?

I'm driving 8+ Hours and they are calling for more snow... o_O

I'll Be there the 17th! :) Is everyone going to the dinner the night before? Also is anyone bringing family with?

I'm driving 8+ Hours and they are calling for more snow... o_O

I will be there 17th too! I plan on being at the dinner as well. My mom is coming with me especially because she's a vet and I want her advice and opinion about the school. Be careful driving! ;)

I'm coming to the dinner this Friday, Dec. 13th. I asked around and current students told me most people do bring family to the dinner so I'm bringing my wife. Can't wait to meet people! Good luck!

I'm coming to the dinner this Friday, Dec. 13th. I asked around and current students told me most people do bring family to the dinner so I'm bringing my wife. Can't wait to meet people! Good luck!

I brought my mom and my boyfriend (now fiancé) and it was fine! I was glad to have somewhere there for support. Lots of people had family and/or friends with them.

Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews!

Are there assigned seats for the dinner? I am just wondering because another applicant and I are traveling together.

Are there assigned seats for the dinner? I am just wondering because another applicant and I are traveling together.

There wasn't at mine! We just set our stuff down at a random table when we got there. There should be one current student at each table to talk to and ask questions.

Reactions: 3 users
I will be at the dinner on Friday!! Can't wait to meet you guys! Let me know if you have any questions :)

YAYYY Stb, we did it!!! 1/8 of a Doctor!!

Last edited:
Anyone else here doing the dinner on Sunday night (for Monday 12/16 interviews)? I'm so excited to meet everyone!!

It's honestly not that bad. I am from the opposite end of the country and have not been home yet since I moved here in August. You will be busier than you can EVER imagine, so you don't really notice it! I went home with a classmate for Thanksgiving and the rest of the OOS students had a Thanksgiving together here at school. The hardest part now is having to wait here after finals are over for an extra week before I can go home.

Last edited:
Anyone else here doing the dinner on Sunday night (for Monday 12/16 interviews)? I'm so excited to meet everyone!!

I will be there! What time is your interview on Tuesday? :D:soexcited:

Agreed - I hope you all get good news from your other schools! Also super nervous for the interview.

I'm still stressing about what to wear for the tour. Current students, do you think it would be okay to change out of my suit and into nice jeans, sweater, and boots for the tour? I'm just worried I'm going to freeze my @#$ off if I'm walking around with just tights on my legs.

Agreed - I hope you all get good news from your other schools! Also super nervous for the interview.

I'm still stressing about what to wear for the tour. Current students, do you think it would be okay to change out of my suit and into nice jeans, sweater, and boots for the tour? I'm just worried I'm going to freeze my @#$ off if I'm walking around with just tights on my legs.

You're really not outside that much. You just have to cross a parking lot :)

Ah, thanks. I'll probably suck it up and keep the suit on. I'm just one of those people that can't stay warm so I like to be prepared. :nailbiting:

Does everyone typically wear their interview clothes to the tours/lunch etc.? If not, what is the typical attire for those day events? My interview is at 3pm and Schedule #1 starts at 9am. I planned on going back to the hotel after lunch to freshen up and change into my interview clothes. I'm wondering what I should wear since I'm not going to wear my interview clothes until the interview. :thinking:

Does everyone typically wear their interview clothes to the tours/lunch etc.? If not, what is the typical attire for those day events? My interview is at 3pm and Schedule #1 starts at 9am. I planned on going back to the hotel after lunch to freshen up and change into my interview clothes. I'm wondering what I should wear since I'm not going to wear my interview clothes until the interview. :thinking:

My interview is at 3pm as well. I think I'm just gonna wear my suit for the tours and lunch.

I am attending the Sunday night dinner with my dad. My interview is Monday at 11:15am!!!!! I still cant believe that I got an interview this year. I am super nervous and excited.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed! You'll be fine as far as being cold goes.

I had a morning interview with an afternoon tour last year. Everyone stayed in their suits and maybe changed their shoes. If it doesn't bother you, I would wear your interview clothes in the morning as well. If that's not an option, I would still dress nice/business casual at the least.

Good luck to all the first day interviewees!!