Ohio State University class of 2018 hopefulls!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah mine's still 'in review' as well. Considering at least a few rejections have gone out already, I'm trying to stay positive. No news is good news!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here! haha....Although, I'm not sure what to think right now and its bothering me :'(......maybe we are unofficially waitlisted???

The realist in me keeps thinking about the 1147 OOS applicants...lol. ouch! Hoping that if I get bad news, I don't get it during finals week. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Amen.....speaking of finals, I am also concerned because the interview dates are during my finals so if by some miracle I get an interview, I dont know what to do :bang:.....And the dates in January are after my spring semester starts.....guess I would have to miss a couple days of school :thinking:......Whatever it takes I guess!!!!! :xf:

You can maybe beg a professor to let you sit a final early? I remember one of my roommates senior year did that because she had an interview get scheduled then, it was an animal science professor who was a vet though so he was particularly understanding.. but I imagine most other professors would be too.

Yeah that's true. I hope my professors will be lenient as well, if that happens.

Does anyone know if OSU uses the GPA calculated from VMCAS or do they calculate their own??

I actually emailed in about the GPA calculations because my graduate school grades were completely left off of my calculated ones. Shayna sent me back an emailing saying they'd received my graduate school transcript so she would request that my GPA be calculated to include them.. so guessing they do go with VMCAS gpas?

How did you know your grad school grades had been left off? (is there a place where we can see calculations?)

Back when you first submitted your application, but before it was verified, you had the ability to download a pdf of your whole application summarized (I think it may have been on the payment page? It was a pretty small little button next to your school designations that I didn't notice until someone told me about it). At the end of it, it listed your calculated overall, pre-req, math, and I think science gpas. Also, I didn't mean to freak you out - I pretty much knew in advance my grad school grades weren't going to be calculated in since I did my masters at the RVC, which is a foreign institution, and so VMCAS didn't verify my transcript and I had to send it individually to schools. Guessing your calculated ones should probably fine.

Ohh gotcha. I thought you meant Ohio had a page where we could see our stats through their portal. Thanks for clearing that up!

I thought Ohio used the highest grade for retaken classes? If so, they'd have to recalculate GPAs at least for people with repeated courses.

Amen.....speaking of finals, I am also concerned because the interview dates are during my finals so if by some miracle I get an interview, I dont know what to do :bang:.....And the dates in January are after my spring semester starts.....guess I would have to miss a couple days of school :thinking:......Whatever it takes I guess!!!!! :xf:
My interview is the day of one of my final exams... I had to ask my professor for an extension on the exam until I get back. He was really nice about it and said it wouldn't be a problem so I would imagine most are especially if you've got a lot of pre meds in your classes. only thing is my prof is going on vacation until after the new year so I will have to receive an incomplete for the course until i make up the exam in the beginning of January. Also, the other course I am taking online from a different school is an "anytime" course that ends January 17th. I'm wondering if i should contact the schools who do request fall transcripts to let them know my transcripts will be late or is there no need to if I will have it sent to them by mid January?

Back when you first submitted your application, but before it was verified, you had the ability to download a pdf of your whole application summarized (I think it may have been on the payment page? It was a pretty small little button next to your school designations that I didn't notice until someone told me about it). At the end of it, it listed your calculated overall, pre-req, math, and I think science gpas. Also, I didn't mean to freak you out - I pretty much knew in advance my grad school grades weren't going to be calculated in since I did my masters at the RVC, which is a foreign institution, and so VMCAS didn't verify my transcript and I had to send it individually to schools. Guessing your calculated ones should probably fine.

Just wanted to note that we still have the ability to save/print the whole application, including the calculated GPAs :) .

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! :happy: . So when you log into your VMCAS application, click on "College Destinations" under the "Application Checklist"....you should see the schools that you applied to and on the far right under "Application Preview" you can click on one of those "little binoculars (at least I think that's what those are haha)" and your application should open up! You should be able to print and/or save that page. Hope that helped! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
my status changed....got my rejection :( :( :( :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I'll be next. Im still in review. My last name starts with a V and they'll get to me eventually. I can live in denial for a few more hours.

I'll be next. Im still in review. My last name starts with a V and they'll get to me eventually. I can live in denial for a few more hours.
I'll be next too. My last name starts with an R. I'm preparing myself for it. :(

I'm not sure if they go in alpha-order, but my last name is R..... :-/

Sorry, FutureVet :( I doubt it's alphabetical, since I have a B last name, and I'm waiting for bad news as well. My app is probably just at the bottom of the pile.

I am still "in review" as well

I think they're going by height, then. I'm 5'4".

Reactions: 6 users
Haha. Tallest to shortest or shortest to tallest?

They start in the middle and go outward bidirectionally. I regret not eating more vegetables as a kid.

THis is going to be a bummer of a week.

They're still sending out interview requests. I received mine today and set it up. So, keep your fingers crossed!

Reactions: 7 users
They're still sending out interview requests. I received mine today and set it up. So, keep your fingers crossed!

Montezuma, congratulations! That's wonderful. Now this throws in a new element of confusion. I should just study as finals are one week away. Eek!

Congratulations again!

For those of you that are interviewing, what are you doing to prepare? This will be my first vet school interview, and I am so nervous! Any advice is greatly appreciated :cat:

seems like it was quiet today, I'm still in review so don't really know what to think?

Im pulling for all you still waiting! :luck::xf::luck::xf:

vetgirl84: I have been quizzing the vet I work for questions regarding things vet related they might ask, and also checking in with friends that I have that currently go to the vet school. Just trying to organize everything in my mind, which seems daunting at times LOL :nailbiting:

For those of you that are interviewing, what are you doing to prepare? This will be my first vet school interview, and I am so nervous! Any advice is greatly appreciated :cat:

So far, I've been going over my personal statement and my application so that they're fresh in my mind. I've also been questioning a vet I work with, along with "googling" interview advice! AHH I'm nervous and excited at the same time haha :nailbiting: :confused:

@vetgirl84 - I don't know if you or the others on this thread already know about it, but in case you don't - there's a section on SDN with lots of good interview advice for each school. This is the page for OSU (just expand the 'Questions' section to see the full thing):

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/osu-vet/survey/26

Hopefully that link works properly... :D

No problem! Good luck studying. I'm also planning to drill the vets I work with for advice about some of the questions, like "How would you explain to an owner that their pet died while under anesthesia?" Eeek.

OMG december interviews are so close! Anyone else coming the 18th?

Reactions: 3 users
I was talking to Shayna I asked her at the end where they are in the process of sending out anymore interview invites and the declines, she said they still have a few more invites to send out and they are also starting to send out declines so anybody still in review should be hearing either way within the next 2 weeks or so....I know there are a few more of you still out there like me whose status page still says in review it should be changing soon and hope it eases some of your nerves!!

I talked to Shayna today and she said that all declines will be sent out by hard copy/email/buckeye link within the next week and a half. she did say that there is a pile of apps that are on a waiting list for interviews in case people withdraw, cancel, or don't show up. so if you don't get a decline within the next 2 weeks then you are on the waiting list and will still be "in review". she said the waiting list is left open until all of the interview dates have occurred, so you may be "in review" until the end of January, which by that time you may have gotten an interview or you just get a decline a month after most people did. eh.

Is Buckeye Link giving anyone else issues right now?

I believe the system shuts down every night at 11:30 pm depending on what time zone you are in where I am it's 12:30 so....on Sundays it comes back on 11 am

Does anyone happen to know what they plan to wear for the tour/lunch/other activities besides the interview? I can't decide if I should bring a change of clothes for that or plan to wear my suit with some boots rather than heels. Also, does anyone know if there will be a place for us to leave our luggage throughout the day? I'm flying in so will not have a car to leave things in ...

Does anyone happen to know what they plan to wear for the tour/lunch/other activities besides the interview? I can't decide if I should bring a change of clothes for that or plan to wear my suit with some boots rather than heels. Also, does anyone know if there will be a place for us to leave our luggage throughout the day? I'm flying in so will not have a car to leave things in ...

i just had my interview at iowa, and i seriously debated whether i should wear wedge booties with my suit or boots. i ended up finding these black leather ankle boots with a small chunky heel (maybe about an inch so my dress pants wouldn't drag in the snow) and durable rubber sole that actually doubled as dress heels and comfortable, weather resilient boots. it seemed like most of the other people at the interview went with fancy heels or dressy flats, however i still think i made the right decision. my suit pants covered most of the boot anyway, and my interviewers were both men in their late '60s that never once looked down at my feet. i was comfortable the whole day and even though the tour ended up being entirely inside so I may have been okay in heels, it was nice to be able to walk outside into the snowstorm after and not have to worry about messing up my shoes. i haven't decided what to do for ohio yet, but i may wear the same boots. i do think that we should find out whether their vet school is all in one big connected building like iowa's or spread out outside, since that is a key factor in shoe-decision making!! i will do research.

Reactions: 2 users