Ohio State University class of 2018 hopefulls!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the advice, Stb1473!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else getting nervous about flying out to Columbus tomorrow? I'm in NYC, and snow is still pouring on down... I hope I can get out tomorrow morning! My flight is at 9AM tomorrow :nailbiting:

Is anyone else getting nervous about flying out to Columbus tomorrow? I'm in NYC, and snow is still pouring on down... I hope I can get out tomorrow morning! My flight is at 9AM tomorrow :nailbiting:
I don't know about the flights going towards Columbus but I left Columbus today towards DC and all the flights except the one that I just took home was cancelled today towards DC (at least for United).
Hope you can get there with no troubles. Good luck on your interview :]

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaggh! Well my interview isn't until Monday morning, so as long as I get there before then, I'll be fine haha! It's supposed to change over to rain here tonight, so :xf: fingers crossed I'll be able to make the dinner tomorrow night.

Aaggh! Well my interview isn't until Monday morning, so as long as I get there before then, I'll be fine haha! It's supposed to change over to rain here tonight, so :xf: fingers crossed I'll be able to make the dinner tomorrow night.
I just got to Ohio today! I'm two hours east of Columbus, but there's very little snow on the ground. I'll bet it will be fine! I hope you make it all right!

My interview isn't until tuesday however...got here way early, haha :p

Reactions: 1 users
I am flying out of Newark today and they cancelled my 8 am flight to Columbus over 24 hours before the flight! There were no other flights to Columbus with open seats so I have to take a 10:05 am flight to Cleveland and drive to Columbus.... I am currently sitting in the airport and my flight is now delayed 40 minutes. I really hope I make it to the dinner tonight. Luckily my interview isn't until tomorrow afternoon too, so at least I should make that! :( the weather isn't even bad here anymore! All of the snow was washed away with rain and I called Shayna yesterday and she said the weather in Columbus was fine! Dalmationdoc - you say you are two hours from Columbus.. Does that mean you flew into Cleveland too? If so, how is the drive?

I just drove through all of Ohio yesterday and it was all fine. A bit slippery, but it was raining, so that washed most of the wintery mix away.

Perfect! They offered us a connecting flight from Cleveland to Columbus but that seemed kind of ridiculous. Id rather just drive the 2 hours...

I just drove through all of Ohio yesterday and it was all fine. A bit slippery, but it was raining, so that washed most of the wintery mix away.

I am flying out of Newark today and they cancelled my 8 am flight to Columbus over 24 hours before the flight! There were no other flights to Columbus with open seats so I have to take a 10:05 am flight to Cleveland and drive to Columbus.... I am currently sitting in the airport and my flight is now delayed 40 minutes. I really hope I make it to the dinner tonight. Luckily my interview isn't until tomorrow afternoon too, so at least I should make that! :( the weather isn't even bad here anymore! All of the snow was washed away with rain and I called Shayna yesterday and she said the weather in Columbus was fine! Dalmationdoc - you say you are two hours from Columbus.. Does that mean you flew into Cleveland too? If so, how is the drive?
Oh no!! I flew out of LGA this morning and have a connecting flight in DC. My first flight was fine and my next one says it's on time so far! Sounds like you've got it worked out now though. I look forward to meeting you all! See you at dinner :)

I actually drove up to Ohio from NC, and just made a pit stop. But the weather is totally fine, just barely a light layer of snow (if you even see this before you make your drive) and you should have no problems, but I'm not in Cleveland so I can't speak for sure for you.

Also for those of you who interviewed yesterday I hope it went well! Mind telling us about it a little?

I'm in Cleveland now and I was down in Columbus this weekend for the interview. It is snowing up here but not too too bad. I think you should reasonably be able to make it as long as you drive carefully!! Most of the roads are plowed

I interviewed yesterday- I had a great experience and got asked very fair questions. As a warning, you will be asked about a lot of things mentioned in your personal statement, so if you have research, observed surgeries, or mentioned particular diseases, know about them in detail! Also check out the interview prep section on SDN with old osu questions, because I heard several other students mentioning getting asked questions that were listed there. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed yesterday- I had a great experience and got asked very fair questions. As a warning, you will be asked about a lot of things mentioned in your personal statement, so if you have research, observed surgeries, or mentioned particular diseases, know about them in detail! Also check out the interview prep section on SDN with old osu questions, because I heard several other students mentioning getting asked questions that were listed there. Good luck everyone!

That makes me happy. I absolutely love OSU. I had a decision between ~9 schools or so and could not be happier with my choice (especially hearing complaints from my friends about some other schools I was considering). Good luck to everyone interviewing soon!

Is there anyone else on here that has not heard anything back from Ohio? No interview and no rejection? I haven't heard anything and today my status changed to pending.. Weird right?

I just interviewed today and LOVED IT!! I was a little nervous for my interview, but I think it went well. Good luck to those who still have to interview! Ohio state just jumped from #3 or 4 to #1 or 2 on my list.

I have interviewed and my status has changed to pending as well, I wonder if they have changed all of them that have not been rejected yet to pending??

For those of you who have interviewed already, if you don't mind me asking, how many interviewers did you have? I saw in the feedback section most people said there were 2 in past years. Just wondering if it's the same this year. Also, did you feel the interview was relaxed or more stressful? I'm preparing myself for stressful either way, just wondering what people's impressions were! Thanks!

Is there anyone else on here that has not heard anything back from Ohio? No interview and no rejection? I haven't heard anything and today my status changed to pending.. Weird right?

My status changed to pending as well.

I talked to a few weeks ago and she said that there is a pile of apps that are on a waiting list for interviews in case people withdraw, cancel, or don't show up. so if you didn't get decline and your status changed to pending then it's safe to assume that you are on the waiting list. she said the waiting list is left open until all of the interview dates have occurred, so you may be "pending" until the end of January, which by that time you may have gotten an interview or you just get a decline a month after most people did. eh.

I just interviewed today and LOVED IT!! I was a little nervous for my interview, but I think it went well. Good luck to those who still have to interview! Ohio state just jumped from #3 or 4 to #1 or 2 on my list.

Yay! That's honestly what happened to me, too, after interviewing. OSU wasn't even on my radar and ended up at #1 on my list! Do you remember who interviewed you?

Yay! That's honestly what happened to me, too, after interviewing. OSU wasn't even on my radar and ended up at #1 on my list! Do you remember who interviewed you?
Me too. I just finished my interview as well... loved Ohio. It's now number 2 on my list instead of 4 or 5. My interview was kind of scary though. They grilled me with questions - mostly ethical ones. I am honestly not sure how it went at all. I was really intimidated by one of my interviewers...

My status changed to pending as well.

I talked to a few weeks ago and she said that there is a pile of apps that are on a waiting list for interviews in case people withdraw, cancel, or don't show up. so if you didn't get decline and your status changed to pending then it's safe to assume that you are on the waiting list. she said the waiting list is left open until all of the interview dates have occurred, so you may be "pending" until the end of January, which by that time you may have gotten an interview or you just get a decline a month after most people did. eh.
Thanks! That gives me a little tiny bit of hope. I wonder if people ever get interviews from the waitlist.

Me too. I just finished my interview as well... loved Ohio. It's now number 2 on my list instead of 4 or 5. My interview was kind of scary though. They grilled me with questions - mostly ethical ones. I am honestly not sure how it went at all. I was really intimidated by one of my interviewers...
Sorry I've been MIA on this thread but I am currently a member of the Class of 2017 at OSU as well. I felt the same way coming out of my interview as you did and I got in! So try not to worry about it too much (impossibly I know haha)! If anyone has any questions at all about OSU or being an OOS student (from RI) feel free to message me! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry I've been MIA on this thread but I am currently a member of the Class of 2017 at OSU as well. I felt the same way coming out of my interview as you did and I got in! So try not to worry about it too much (impossibly I know haha)! If anyone has any questions at all about OSU or being an OOS student (from RI) feel free to message me! Good luck everyone!!
That makes me feel a lot better, thanks McGovernator. I'm trying not to think about it too much, but I can't help but worry and relive every moment of the interview in my head!

Is there anyone else out there that would LOVE to have a call from OSU as a Christmas present?? :whistle:

Reactions: 4 users
Is there anyone else out there that would LOVE to have a call from OSU as a Christmas present?? :whistle:
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved my time there and hope I get to spend 4 more years there!!

Same! I can't see myself doing anything else for the next four years rather than studying at OSU! I haven't seen a lot of conversation on this post so I figured I had to say something :)

I had a friend from school receive her OSU acceptance...now if we could all just get ours! I just want to know and it is really hard to be patient.

She received admission to Ohio state already??

I know at the panel they said only a small percentage of December interviewees will hear back right away- if they really liked you or really didn't like you. As for the rest, they said no news is good news and we probably won't hear from them until after January interviews are over. So more waiting now...:/

I had a friend from school receive her OSU acceptance...now if we could all just get ours! I just want to know and it is really hard to be patient.
How did she find out? Portal/phone/email/snail mail? When was her interview date? So many questions! Haha

How did she find out? Portal/phone/email/snail mail? When was her interview date? So many questions! Haha
There's someone on the official acceptance list saying they got accepted to OSU and it was by phone call. Maybe this person is the same person taf is talking about?

I'm friends with the same person! She posted a screen shot of an acceptance email, but she could have received a phone call as well. Last year most people got a phone call, some heard by email first, and some saw buckeye link change first.

As someone mentioned, a small number of people usually find out within a few days of their interview but the majority of acceptances (if nothing has changed) will be after all the interviews are over with maybe a few along the way. I interviewed mid-December last year and didn't hear until Valentines Day! Many of my friends had to wait this long as well. I know its a stressful long wait, but hang in there! Don't get discouraged if you don't hear anything for awhile. On the bright side, interviews should be over by the end of January this year, so you might not have to wait as long! In the meantime, try to focus your energy elsewhere and distract yourself.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear! Fingers crossed for all of you. Glad to hear many of you loved OSU, because I love the school so much!

Hi McGovernator! :)

I also felt unsure coming out of my interview. I didn't think it went well and stressed about it for a long time, but I got in! I got to look at my interview feedback this fall and it turns out my interview went well after all! Try not to overthink it if you can, nothing you can change now

Any other in-state students still "pending"?

I've read about the possibility of there being a interview waitlist above, but I'm skeptical that there would be that many Ohio residents that would decline their in-state interviews, considering it's unlikely that they've been accepted to other schools at this point.

Has anyone in previous years been offered an interview after December? I get the impression that it is a rare event and I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

Any other in-state students still "pending"?

I've read about the possibility of there being a interview waitlist above, but I'm skeptical that there would be that many Ohio residents that would decline their in-state interviews, considering it's unlikely that they've been accepted to other schools at this point.

Has anyone in previous years been offered an interview after December? I get the impression that it is a rare event and I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

I received my interview offer last year after Christmas around the end of December/January so don't give up hope! It is possible!

I received my interview offer last year after Christmas around the end of December/January so don't give up hope! It is possible!
So there is still a chance to get off the interview wait list? Are you OOS or IS? I'm OOS still waiting to hear from them. Fingers crossed!!

If someone declines their invite between now and then, I'm sure there's a chance.

So there is still a chance to get off the interview wait list? Are you OOS or IS? I'm OOS still waiting to hear from them. Fingers crossed!!
I am in state, and i'm not sure what there plan is this year but last year I did receive a later interview offer. :)

Anybody else get the interview survey? I about had a heart attack!! :eek:

Reactions: 9 users
Hi McGovernator! :)

I also felt unsure coming out of my interview. I didn't think it went well and stressed about it for a long time, but I got in! I got to look at my interview feedback this fall and it turns out my interview went well after all! Try not to overthink it if you can, nothing you can change now
Thanks for posting Stb1473! I have been stressing out about my interview all week. I had a very hard time understanding the doctor who interviewed me because of his accent. On top of that the veterinary student grilled me for surgical steps of an CCL repair, Anesthesia drugs and mechanisms, medications, animal rights/welfare,... it felt like the longest 30 minutes. I hope your right and that it went better than I think it did! I want to be a buckeye!!

Thanks for posting Stb1473! I have been stressing out about my interview all week. I had a very hard time understanding the doctor who interviewed me because of his accent. On top of that the veterinary student grilled me for surgical steps of an CCL repair, Anesthesia drugs and mechanisms, medications, animal rights/welfare,... it felt like the longest 30 minutes. I hope your right and that it went better than I think it did! I want to be a buckeye!!
There must be a big difference in some of the interviewers...because mine was very easy with just basic questions, nothing I felt was challenging or couldn't have been answered by about anyone who had some experience. It makes me a little concerned that I would have such a different experience, because I didn't even get the opportunity to answer a knowledge question or anything similar.:unsure:

I don't think my interview was quite that rigorous, but I definitely felt like I was in the hot seat the whole time. I was asked specifics on about every question, and asked to go pretty in depth. I felt like I was able to answer the questions, but I have no idea if it will turn out well or not. Last year I interviewed, I had a student as well that asked about specific sutures and surgical techniques that I saw in a spay/neuter clinic versus private practice. (The vet I shadowed had no difference in her approach between spay/neuter or private) turns out the student did an externship in a spay/neuter clinic... It is amazing how different your interview can be depending on who you draw as interviewers.

There must be a big difference in some of the interviewers...because mine was very easy with just basic questions, nothing I felt was challenging or couldn't have been answered by about anyone who had some experience. It makes me a little concerned that I would have such a different experience, because I didn't even get the opportunity to answer a knowledge question or anything similar.:unsure:

I agree! There can be a big variation on experiences depending on the interview. Many of my friends said they thought their interview went well and they got in. I was just pointing out that you shouldn't stress if you didn't think it went well because it can be hard to tell if they werent giving you any feedback!

Some of those things make for odd interview questions, though I suspect (and would hope :eek:) that they have something to do with individual backgrounds in vet med and what information the interviewee has shared on his/her application.

If not, I'm not sure how asking an applicant to explain in detail a specific surgery would prove anything about "knowledge of the profession" other then, you know, that he or she hadn't received a veterinary education yet.

Can someone PM me Dr. Glauer's email?