Ohio State University class of 2018 hopefulls!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did she find out? Portal/phone/email/snail mail? When was her interview date? So many questions! Haha

Thought I might help you out. I'm not the same person but I have been accepted. I got a phone call and the next day my portal status changed. I interviewed on the 18th and heard on the 23rd. I am OOS. Last year I applied but I didn't hear anything until Feb 14 and then it wasn't good news. I know it can be a long wait until then but for now no news is good news for those that are still waiting. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thought I might help you out. I'm not the same person but I have been accepted. I got a phone call and the next day my portal status changed. I interviewed on the 18th and heard on the 23rd. I am OOS. Last year I applied but I didn't hear anything until Feb 14 and then it wasn't good news. I know it can be a long wait until then but for now no news is good news for those that are still waiting. Good luck to all!

Congratulations Karabiner13!

I would love to be accepted somewhere this year, but realize with the competitiveness of the cycle, that may not happen. Would you mind sharing what you did to strengthen your application? Also, did you do a file review? If so, do you know how much weight is put on the interview? I feel like I did worse every time I think about it so I am trying to avoid thinking about it.

I completely understand your feeling. After my interview last year I felt fairly good but the more time I had to think about it the more and more I thought I didn't do so great. When I didn't get in I did the application review and found out it was mostly my interview but there were some other things I could do to strengthen my application. If my notes are correct OSU gives the interview a weight of 35%. I took all the feedback from all the schools I had applied to and tried to combine it all for this application.

To strengthen my application there were a few things I did. I tried to find a job at home with a veterinarian but there was nothing around. So I spent my days off from my retail job at the local animal hospital. I tried to get more hands on experience there than I had during the summers. It took a lot of dedication though because I went weeks without any real days off. I also spent two weeks with a food animal vet and an equine vet that were near a friend of mine from school as I hardly got any food animal experience and only some equine experience from the local animal hospital. As I was out of school I had to find ways to be involved. One of these was I got involved helping out a local youth group. The last thing I did to strengthen my application is more for the interview. I borrowed issues of JAVMA from the veterinarians I was working with so I could know what was going on in the field. The techs were also helpful because they gave me some ideas of issues that could be coming up in veterinary medicine. During that year off I would constantly think of questions I might get asked in an interview and if I couldn't come up with a good answer I would find the information needed to make a good answer.

I hope this helps. If you don't get it know it is not the end of the world and you can try again. Definitely do the review and try to incorporate all the tips and suggestions into your next application. Wishing for the best for everyone as there is still time until the rest of the decisions go out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Karabiner! Not to be a Debby Downer, but ok, so...we know that there are people who interviewed and have been accepted, but...has anyone that interviewed already been rejected yet? I'm dreadfully checking my e-mail each day, wondering if I was one of the small percentage of people they hated at the interviews. Since I haven't heard anything yet, I'm assuming I'm safe at least until Feb., but I still worry that they haven't sent out their early post-interview rejections yet and that I will be in that pile! :bag:

On an unrelated note, is anyone else planning to watch the Buckeyes in the Orange Bowl tonight?

I have to admit that OSU football did play a factor in choosing to apply here. No shame. Go Bucks!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many of the interviewed applicant pool get wait-listed vs. outright denied?

Yayyy I got my interview invite today!!!!! :)

Got my acceptance letter tonight via email!! Very excited!!! I hope that means that others will be posting good news here soon too!

Reactions: 7 users
Woohoo!! As always, if anyone has any questions about OSU, feel free to PM! I love it here!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
April Pugh called me today informing me of my acceptance to The Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine!!!!!!!! Sooooooo excited!!!!!!:highfive:

Reactions: 4 users
I got an email today too!!! This is my IS and my first acceptance -- dream come true!

Reactions: 6 users
WOOHOOOOOO so happy for you guys!

I got accepted too :) Congrats to everyone who got accepted as well.

So excited for everyone! Glad to hear from more potential classmates. NH unfortunately doesn't have an IS school but Tufts is the closest. I'm really leaning towards OSU but we'll see after my interview with Tufts.

I think it is a "beating a dead horse" smiley.

Anyone here going to be interviewing this Saturday? I feel like the majority interviewed in December :p

Good luck everyone!!!! Just be yourself. :-D

After a lot of thinking, I have decided to decline my interview at Tufts. I was pretty much going to go into it with the attitude that I was not going to go there but would be going to OSU. My parents were the ones really pushing me to go through with the interview because Tufts is close to home. Through this whole process I have felt that OSU is where I am supposed to be and I think I have made my final decision. I just had wanted to give it some thought because they were the first to tell me I was accepted and didn't want to make the decision lightly. Looking forward to being a buckeye!

I interviewed in December and haven't heard anything yet...and now that people are starting to get acceptances as opposed to waiting til February, I'm getting really nervous and starting to think that my interview must have gone badly :/ Not looking for any advice, just ranting and wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way! Anyways, I guess no new is good news right?

I interviewed today, and I think it went very well :D It was super casual; everyone was very friendly!

I interviewed in December and haven't heard anything yet...and now that people are starting to get acceptances as opposed to waiting til February, I'm getting really nervous and starting to think that my interview must have gone badly :/ Not looking for any advice, just ranting and wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way! Anyways, I guess no new is good news right?
I definitely feel like this! And after not getting accepted last year, and thinking that my interview went a thousand times better this year I have been killing myself with my nerves! Your not alone ! Hopefully they give us some positive relief soon! Wishing you the best!

I feel the exact same way LOL! But in the end, you did your best and now its just a matter of waiting... Ugh! And Im definitely going with the no news is good news too :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
They said today that the majority of decisions will be sent out in the middle to late February.

Congrats to everyone else who received an offer!

After some consideration, I've decided to decline my offer at OSU. I have offers from my IS and another school where I felt more comfortable, so I figured I'd decline early and get someone off the waitlist!

Good luck to everyone still interviewing - just be yourself!

Congrats to everyone else who received an offer!

After some consideration, I've decided to decline my offer at OSU. I have offers from my IS and another school where I felt more comfortable, so I figured I'd decline early and get someone off the waitlist!

Good luck to everyone still interviewing - just be yourself!
Congrats on your IS and elsewhere! Thanks for letting us know :)

Glad I'm not the only one starting to get nervous. Probably going to end up with an ulcer if this keeps up much longer! Lol part of the waiting game I suppose. Good luck to all still waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted!

It's only a small bit who get accepted early! The rest of us will hear toward middle/end of February. The admissions discussion pointed out that they were pretty much done with accepting the early batch, a few more might hear, but the rest of us would have to wait until february. She also reiterated that no news is good news!

I have a question for those of you who got a phone call acceptance shortly after you interviewed: did you need to do anything to follow up? Dr. Lord called me yesterday (I interviewed 1/18) and I'm not gonna lie, I was a little overwhelmed during the phone call and didn't quite catch everything she said. Will she send a packet of info, or an email or anything? Thanks guys congrats to anyone else who has already received good news and good luck to those waiting :)

I have a question for those of you who got a phone call acceptance shortly after you interviewed: did you need to do anything to follow up? Dr. Lord called me yesterday (I interviewed 1/18) and I'm not gonna lie, I was a little overwhelmed during the phone call and didn't quite catch everything she said. Will she send a packet of info, or an email or anything? Thanks guys congrats to anyone else who has already received good news and good luck to those waiting :)

Congrats! As far as I know there is nothing we have to do unless you are accepting the offer. You will get an email and eventually snail mail. They all basically refer you to this link: http://vet.osu.edu/education/incoming-class
If you are accepting the offer you should click on the accept/decline on your Buckeye link and do all you need to accept it. Are you going to be a Buckeye or are you waiting to hear from another school you'd rather go to?

I'm waiting to hear from a couple other schools but OSU was fantastic. I'd be so happy there. Tough choices to make in the future. Thanks for the info!

Anyone else hear back from osu that interviewed last weekend? I'm super anxious!

Anyone else hear back from osu that interviewed last weekend? I'm super anxious!

I interviewed on the first interview day talk about anxious! I think I've gained ten pounds and lost half of my hair by now :)