Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! When were you complete?? OU is my absolute dream, an II is all I want for my birthday
Complete 7/1! It's my top choice too!! I'm sure you'll get one as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Primary: 7/7. Secondary: 7/12. Complete: 7/25.

Haven't heard anything yet. OOS. Non-Trad. Two(point)something GPA, 518 MCAT. I'm curious how they pre-screen secondaries and if I even have a shot at an II.

After reading the information I could find online, I am super excited about this school! It has consistently stood out during my search, so I hope I hear back soon!

Anyone got any insight? uGPA 3.4 uGPAs 3.1 MCAT 24. Masters in cell and molecular bio with a 3.6 GPA and a DO letter with 40 hours of shadowing? Also a TA. I just found out my PI's letter is the hold up and she wont have it done until probably september. Is there any hope?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! OU has been my dream school for a while now and I just wanted to see if you guys think I have a fighting chance.
cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.15
MCAT: 511 (definitely surprised myself here)

I have been told I have great extracurricular and I have a ton of research experience (although in kinesiology and health) and Im currently starting my first year as an MPH at OSU (more of a back up plan than anything else)

Further more, does anyone have any tips regarding the secondary application essay? Consensus seems to be that a page is a good length?

Primary: 7/7. Secondary: 7/12. Complete: 7/25.

Haven't heard anything yet. OOS. Non-Trad. Two(point)something GPA, 518 MCAT. I'm curious how they pre-screen secondaries and if I even have a shot at an II.

After reading the information I could find online, I am super excited about this school! It has consistently stood out during my search, so I hope I hear back soon!

holy cow man congrats on that MCAT

II 9/23. verified 8/3. Is anyone else going to be there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, good luck on this application cycle. I'm an OUHCOM OMS-1. I can't believe that the interview cycle for the next class has already started. Congrats to those who have already been accepted, received interviews, and secondaries! SDN was a big help when I was in the application cycle, and I wanted to 'give back' and make myself (somewhat) available if you have questions specific to OUHCOM and their application process. If you have questions, feel free to ask/send a message and I will try to get back to you in a timely fashion. Cheers, and good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if I should take silence = silent rejection? My secondary was complete 7/8 and still nothing. I'm receiving acceptances from other schools while this one hasn't sent me a single email =(

I wonder if I should take silence = silent rejection? My secondary was complete 7/8 and still nothing. I'm receiving acceptances from other schools while this one hasn't sent me a single email =(
Don't fret, it is still REALLY early in the cycle. I know of acceptances into the class that were made 2 weeks before classes started! Clearly you're competitive if schools are already sending you acceptances. Best of luck!

Don't fret, it is still REALLY early in the cycle. I know of acceptances into the class that were made 2 weeks before classes started! Clearly you're competitive if schools are already sending you acceptances. Best of luck!
Thanks for the words -- I should just relax lol. My 2nd cycle so I guess I'm a bit antsy.

I am OOS but I looooveeee this school. Hoping that they pick me for diversity since I am all kinds of minority.....

I am OOS but I looooveeee this school. Hoping that they pick me for diversity since I am all kinds of minority.....
Same here. I hope things pick up soon! I know they're sending out II but there doesn't seem to be much activity with SDNers

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Anyone applying to the DO/PhD program? II was moved to 10/7 with the rest of the dual degree applicants.

Hi Everyone!

My name is Jill Harman and I am the director of admissions at OU-HCOM. I wanted to let you all know that I am here to help you through this process. I'm very happy to answer posts on this thread or your private messages. I respect that this is a peer-to-peer space, so I'll only post to the thread when appropriate.

I wish you all the best of luck in this application year and let me know how I can help. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an interview for the dual degree program! I was a bit confused at first because the email called it "preview day" lol. I'm so grateful for the interview invite!

Reactions: 3 users
Also II for DO/PhD!!! (assuming the "preview day" is equivalent to an interview, i see interview on the email just kind of confusing) So excited!!!

Also II for DO/PhD!!! (assuming the "preview day" is equivalent to an interview, i see interview on the email just kind of confusing) So excited!!!
Congrats! I'll see you there =). Have you replied to the email confirming yet? I filled out the questionnaire they asked us to fill out and emailed my passport as well as my confirmation.

Not yet, I'm about to work on it right now! Got super busy in the lab right when I saw the e-mail and have the agony of having to wait to RSVP :p

I got the same thing! Are we sure this is an interview? It says "preview day" in the header but it also says "interview" in the email...

I got the same thing! Are we sure this is an interview? It says "preview day" in the header but it also says "interview" in the email...

Yup, if you log on to your portal the status has changed to "Congratulations you have been accepted for an interview!"

Hey friends! Is the interview a pretty standard open-file sort of deal, or is it more ethics/healthcare related questions?

Very straightforward interview- they are just trying to get to know you better. It is an open-file interview so interviewers may bring up information that you put in your application- but most of the time it's delving more into your personal experiences (eg, personal statement, extracurriculars) rather than asking why you got a B in organic chemistry. Main advice would be to know your application inside and out and know why you want to go to OU and what makes you different than all other applicants. Good luck- you'll do great

I imagine the DO/PhD interviews will be a bit more research oriented as well.

Very straightforward interview- they are just trying to get to know you better. It is an open-file interview so interviewers may bring up information that you put in your application- but most of the time it's delving more into your personal experiences (eg, personal statement, extracurriculars) rather than asking why you got a B in organic chemistry. Main advice would be to know your application inside and out and know why you want to go to OU and what makes you different than all other applicants. Good luck- you'll do great
Thank you!

For those who have applied to the dual degree program and have been invited for an interview -- did you finish complete the GRE yet? I know it's required by Dec 1st, but I won't be able to take it before the interview day.

Just got my II for 10/7!

would you mind sharing your approx stats/completion date? congrats!!

Undergrad: 3.68
Science: 3.99
Post bac: 4.0
MCAT: I promise yours is better!! I'll PM if you are really dying to know!
Complete: 7/15

I just looked at the interview day itinerary and it says they take our portraits in white coats. Does anyone know what these pictures are for? Am I the only one who feels like trying on a white coat before I am accepted could be bad luck? That will be such a depressing picture if I get rejected.

I just looked at the interview day itinerary and it says they take our portraits in white coats. Does anyone know what these pictures are for? Am I the only one who feels like trying on a white coat before I am accepted could be bad luck? That will be such a depressing picture if I get rejected.
I am so glad someone mentioned this! What is this portrait for?? Haha