PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my PCOM-GA MBS acceptance today. GPA: 3.33 MCAT: 28 Anybody that has been in the program have any outlook on the professors and extent of research experience in the program? Does anyone know what is the % of students that get into MD/DO after completion of the 1st yr? And if we want to go for the full masters degree, do we have to apply during the middle of the first year or are we automatically accepted to complete the full 2 yr masters? Thanks!

Generally, if you do well in the program, you'll get in in the first year.

Make friends with Dr. Stanescu, and Dr. Jenney. They teach anatomy and BCMB, respectively.
Dr. Stanescu is probably your best bet, as he sits on the board.

The dean of BM is switching up the program a bit, FYI. Anatomy used to be during 2nd quarter, but now it's the last quarter or something like that.

I think the program is a bit more demanding than it should be, but if it works, it works.
Oh, and we've started a stronger mentorship program, so apply to that if you want the inside scoop. Most people will be quite friendly.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! See you then! Nucleus has a housing forum where you can post if your looking for roommates and see others who are looking...I posted and found an apartment and roommate relatively quick it's really convenient!
Out of curiosity, how long after you sent in your deposit did it take for them to send you your binder with your Nucleus info? The website says 8 weeks but I'm kind of trying to find a roommate BEFORE school starts lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get an informal letter of acceptance to GA-PCOM just now? I kinda wish they had sent it sooner, I already mailed in my deposit to the Philly campus but I would have liked to consider GA-PCOM as well :/

Anyone else get an informal letter of acceptance to GA-PCOM just now? I kinda wish they had sent it sooner, I already mailed in my deposit to the Philly campus but I would have liked to consider GA-PCOM as well :/

You can transfer your deposit from one campus to the other if you've changed your mind.

I just got the email! I have no idea what to do, or know anything about the deposit. I already sent my deposit in for Morehouse. This is so late!

I got the informal email today as well from GA-PCOM inviting me to the welcome brunch. Can someone tell me what the deposit is and when is it due? I'm excited! I didn't think I would get in because my Mercer Grad Program GPA was horrible!

Yes a friend of mine got this email today as well.

Last edited:
Yes a friend of mine got this email today as well. I got my acceptance a while ago, but this is super last minute. who can afford to buy a plane ticket a week out for a meet & greet. So unorganized.
I agree!! I was just in Georgia for PCOMs graduation this past Friday! I'll be in LA because I booked a trip already but I mean living in Texas, I can only imagine how difficult this last minute thing is for OOSers. Does your acceptance letter say anything different than our email?

I agree!! I was just in Georgia for PCOMs graduation this past Friday! I'll be in LA because I booked a trip already but I mean living in Texas, I can only imagine how difficult this last minute thing is for OOSers. Does your acceptance letter say anything different than our email?
This whole process is just so $$$$$ pricey. To answer your question my acceptance asked for a $500 deposit.

Last edited:
I got the informal email today as well from GA-PCOM inviting me to the welcome brunch. Can someone tell me what the deposit is and when is it due? I'm excited! I didn't think I would get in because my Mercer Grad Program GPA was horrible!
Its $500. and they should give you at least 2 weeks to get it in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats you guys!! Man I wish pcom pa Would get back to me already :/

I just got the email! I have no idea what to do, or know anything about the deposit. I already sent my deposit in for Morehouse. This is so late!
Congrats! I forgot were you deferred before or just waiting for a response?

Congrats! I forgot were you deferred before or just waiting for a response?
Thanks! This is my first time hearing anything. This has been my only correspondence since I was complete back in May. To the other person that asked about Morehouse, it was to their MPH program, so I can't compare the two med sci programs. Is there an option to pay the deposit online?

I talked with Aise Cannon via email this morning, and she said that if I needed additional time for the deposit, just let her know. So, I'm sure it applies to everyone. I haven't received my formal letter yet, maybe today, or sometime this week. Those of you who just got your letter, when was it dated so that it could give me an idea of when I might expect mine. I'm in Texas. Thanks!

I completed the program last year (GA campus) and I just want to give those that are going to be starting this Fall some honest feedback regarding the program. I have very, very mixed opinions about this program. First, realize it is VERY expensive. 2 years with living will be around 80,000$ or more. I went in with a so-so GPA- cGPA-3.0, sGPA-2.9, MCAT 16. I came out with a little over a 3.0 in the masters program and a 20 MCAT, excellent medical work experience , EC's and letters, but no interview or anything. If you really want to go to PCOM's DO program you will really need to get over a 3.6 GPA the first term or two and know professors really well (Dr. Jenney, Dr. Matayoshi, Dr. Zhu, Dr. Stanescue). They will really help you get into the DO program. The admissions office says things that you want to hear when you start the program, sometimes giving students false hope that if they just finish the masters program they will get an interview. Not true. Definitely get at least a 24 MCAT and over a 3.4/3.5 GPA at PCOM and you should get an interview, with good relations with the professors. The program is rigorous, not easy at all. You will need to work very very very hard to get all A's. Most professors are good, some not so great, it's kind of a sink or swim program. I know a lot of people that dropped out the first few terms, and some that just finally found out med/dental school wasn't for them after doing these classes. They are definitely a for-profit school and the administration does have a severe lack of communication at times. Anyways, it's a great program if you get all A's and B+'s, but if you don't, then don't waste your money here. If you are set on the DO program here, make sure you get high grades the first year and send in your apps early before the program starts, they will hold your app until your first term, second term or third term grades come in before they interview you. Good luck, and get to know Dr. Matayoshi, he will help you and give you great advice.

Reactions: 2 users
I completed the program last year (GA campus) and I just want to give those that are going to be starting this Fall some honest feedback regarding the program. I have very, very mixed opinions about this program. First, realize it is VERY expensive. 2 years with living will be around 80,000$ or more. I went in with a so-so GPA- cGPA-3.0, sGPA-2.9, MCAT 16. I came out with a little over a 3.0 in the masters program and a 20 MCAT, excellent medical work experience , EC's and letters, but no interview or anything. If you really want to go to PCOM's DO program you will really need to get over a 3.6 GPA the first term or two and know professors really well (Dr. Jenney, Dr. Matayoshi, Dr. Zhu, Dr. Stanescue). They will really help you get into the DO program. The admissions office says things that you want to hear when you start the program, sometimes giving students false hope that if they just finish the masters program they will get an interview. Not true. Definitely get at least a 24 MCAT and over a 3.4/3.5 GPA at PCOM and you should get an interview, with good relations with the professors. The program is rigorous, not easy at all. You will need to work very very very hard to get all A's. Most professors are good, some not so great, it's kind of a sink or swim program. I know a lot of people that dropped out the first few terms, and some that just finally found out med/dental school wasn't for them after doing these classes. They are definitely a for-profit school and the administration does have a severe lack of communication at times. Anyways, it's a great program if you get all A's and B+'s, but if you don't, then don't waste your money here. If you are set on the DO program here, make sure you get high grades the first year and send in your apps early before the program starts, they will hold your app until your first term, second term or third term grades come in before they interview you. Good luck, and get to know Dr. Matayoshi, he will help you and give you great advice.

That's the same way I felt after the Mercer 1 yr Masters program so I totally understand. Thank you for this!! It's important to know what you need to aim for when entering these type of programs because for some of us this is a last hope type of thing. But I'm glad you gave the pros and cons of your experience. Good luck with all your future endeavors!!!

Thanks for the advice and information :)

So where are you at now in the process of applying to medical school? If you don't mind me asking.

I wonder if the experience at PCOM-PA is similar.

So where are you at now in the process of applying to medical school? If you don't mind me asking.

I wonder if the experience at PCOM-PA is similar.
Yea I was thinking the same. It seems like whenever someone shares their experience it's from the GA campus

thanks for the input. Why is it so hard to get As? Is it the content difficulty or teaching? What student organizations/clubs do they have? When did you reattempt your MCAT?

Last edited:
Lol, Yes, I am. My ex just graduated form this program, with honors, and had a more positive experience. But it's good to see more than one. I spoke with his friends, and they had mixed reviews like this, and some had a more positive one.

Lol, Yes, I am. My ex just graduated form this program, with honors, and had a more positive experience. But it's good to see more than one. I spoke with his friends, and they had mixed reviews like this, and some had a more positive one.
Know any from the PA campus? I wonder if they accept less people there

Nope, I only know people from the GA campus. Hopefully when I get home I'll have my letter.

If any other person on here is a single parent, please PM me. Thanks!

Anyone planning to study for the MCAT while in the PA-Biomed program?

Reactions: 2 users
Out of curiosity, how long after you sent in your deposit did it take for them to send you your binder with your Nucleus info? The website says 8 weeks but I'm kind of trying to find a roommate BEFORE school starts lol

lol right that's a long time, but I actually didn't receive a binder. I was emailed everything so it only took about a week.

Does anybody know about how much they say budget for rent? I'm just looking at places because I'm relocating from Dallas and trying to figure out a range! Thanks. Morehouse told us ~1000

I was taken off the waitlist and accepted this morning :)

Reactions: 6 users
When I saw your name come in my notifications I knew that this was it!! Congrats!!

Maybe I should've applied to the GA campus as well still waiting to hear back from the Philly one about my waitlist status

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I should've applied to the GA campus as well still waiting to hear back from the Philly one about my waitlist status
Exactly what I was thinking. Seems like I keep hearin of the GA campus

Anybody know about financial aid? Those who have gotten the packet does it mention anything about that?

Anybody know about financial aid? Those who have gotten the packet does it mention anything about that?

Admissions sent me an e-mail including a Financial Aid pdf with important dates.

Other than that, if you log into Nucleus and go to 'Resources for Students' you can find a Financial Aid checklist at the bottom of the page. It's specific to the necessary documents you'll need to complete for financial aid.

I haven't gotten a packet yet, and I just wanted to know the information. PCOM is incredibly slow and wanted to get a heads up

Mailed the deposit today. Scheduled to arrive Monday at 10:30. How long after the deposit did you all receive logins etc

Thanks everyone! I am super excited. Cant wait to see yall there

Got my delayed decision letter in March and received my waitlist letter today. PCOM seems to love making people play the waiting game...