Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@farnell maybe (s)he/they live close to Philly! My mail takes a while from there

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I live in Philly so that's probably why!

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to write a letter of intent, who would I send it to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed March 23. I got decision today. Admission ask me to retake the MCAT and they will re-evaluate.... :((

delayed means it's not a yes but most importantly it's not a No! Hang in there, we shall get good news in May

Anyone know the chances of acceptance after a delayed decision? I guess it's just up in the air depending how many people give up their seats?
Definitely and if all those who are holding seats in multiple places would make a decision the decisions would move quicker.

Reactions: 1 users
April 15th cannot come soon enough! Wanting to see some big time movement for us delayed decision folk!

Members don't see this ad :)
April 15th cannot come soon enough! Wanting to see some big time movement for us delayed decision folk!

Anyone do any investigative work and see if there is a lot of movement in previous years for delayed decision? There has to be a lot on the list because it seems that most of the interviews in late January, February and March seem to be delayed decision. Could delays be rejected after the interview............... or are the majority put on the wait list and then the anxiety begins again!?~ Wonder how many are lucky enough to be admitted in previous years from delayed decision? For those of us waiting with acceptances already deposited and are serious about PCOM, many of us have to make decisions regarding housing at our other acceptance etc very soon. Will loose deposit and then be penalized for signing lease for apartment. This whole thing could not be over soon enough for me. I am so glad I do not have to do this again. I think this whole process has been he__ and back! Stress for me, stress for my family................heck the dog is even getting stressed out!

Delayed decision :( Mid March interview. I was really hoping for a positive decision. Good luck to everyone!

Got some good news for everyone here...

Declining my acceptance. Hope someone here gets it!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed in late January and have a delayed decision letter. Any idea when admitted students must make their decision plus send in a deposit? Is there a specific date for PCom? I assume if admissions does not receive $$, they move down the list.

The AACOM CIB and PCOM site say that a $250 deposit must hold a slot until April 15 at which point everybody wishing to matriculate must have a $1500 deposit in. So we can only assume that after the 15th they'll go through who didn't pay and will start determining other candidates to fill those slots!

Hey folks. Does anyone know if PCOM is still sending out interview invitations this late in the application cycle?

Hey, guys! I just withdrew my acceptance this evening. I hope that it goes to one of you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
havent interviewed here yet although applied late in the game. any chance of an interview invite or am i out of luck? 23 mcat (6 p/8 b/ 9 v) sgpa 3.2 cgpa 3.5

^ this has to be trolling, right?!
Stickshifthonda - That wasn't nice.

Hpgryffn - my delayed decision letter from pcom says "We will continue to interview applicants through the first week of April". Sorry, I wish I had better news but I don't think they are interviewing any more applicants.

Stickshifthonda - That wasn't nice.

Hpgryffn - my delayed decision letter from pcom says "We will continue to interview applicants through the first week of April". Sorry, I wish I had better news but I don't think they are interviewing any more applicants.
If @hpgryffn looked up the page one post they would have found the answer to their question- that is what I am getting at.

@hpgryffn I looked at your profile and it seems that you're looking into post-bacc or master's programs- that's a great idea if you don't have an acceptance yet this cycle. Best of luck!

Anyone know when we will likely hear back for delayed decision? I know the letter said by end of the month but any chance it could be earlier than that?

Anyone know when we will likely hear back for delayed decision? I know the letter said by end of the month but any chance it could be earlier than that?
The letter said it would be rolling and no later than the 30th, so I'm thinking yes it could be earlier

Hey all, I am applying this coming cycle. PCOM is my number 1 at this stage of the game, but I am not the hottest of applicants and I was wondering how any of you handled schools like LECOM and VCOM etc. that send out secondarys/II/acceptances very early (as compared to PCOM [from the looks of it])? Did you delay sending you SA, or did you just send it as is and let the offer expire? I feel like I'd have a very hard time letting an offer go on the hopes of getting one elsewhere...1 in the hand is worth....

cGPA-3.38 sGPA-3.2 MCAT- 27 (8PS-10VR-9BS) ECs include a few thousand hours of paramedic work and I will (hopefully) have a DO letter.

Thanks!

It is going to be earlier! Letters are going out. Good luck to all who are waiting to hear!

From whom did you hear that the letter are going out early? April 15th is apparently the deadline for final deposits. I'm assuming we will receive news after that date.

Hey all, I am applying this coming cycle. PCOM is my number 1 at this stage of the game, but I am not the hottest of applicants and I was wondering how any of you handled schools like LECOM and VCOM etc. that send out secondarys/II/acceptances very early (as compared to PCOM [from the looks of it])? Did you delay sending you SA, or did you just send it as is and let the offer expire? I feel like I'd have a very hard time letting an offer go on the hopes of getting one elsewhere...1 in the hand is worth....

cGPA-3.38 sGPA-3.2 MCAT- 27 (8PS-10VR-9BS) ECs include a few thousand hours of paramedic work and I will (hopefully) have a DO letter.

Thanks!

Apply everywhere and apply early. While it might cost you a pretty penny, it isn't going to kill you. If you receive an acceptance from another school (and can foresee yourself going there), put down a deposit. Again, it'll cost you a pretty penny, but it isn't going to kill you.
Of course there are caveats to this advice. I applied and was accepted to Liberty. However, and I think for pretty obvious reasons, I could not imagine spending 4 years of my life at such a conservative (and frankly backward) institution. Therefore, I didn't put down a deposit. Thankfully I was accepted elsewhere, but finding a place that you are going to be happy at is very important!

PCOM interviews and accepts students starting late September / early October. Applying early is so important and can potentially prevent a "delayed decision" like many of us applicants have recently received.

From whom did you hear that the letter are going out early? April 15th is apparently the deadline for final deposits. I'm assuming we will receive news after that date.

Apply everywhere and apply early. While it might cost you a pretty penny, it isn't going to kill you. If you receive an acceptance from another school (and can foresee yourself going there), put down a deposit. Again, it'll cost you a pretty penny, but it isn't going to kill you.
Of course there are caveats to this advice. I applied and was accepted to Liberty. However, and I think for pretty obvious reasons, I could not imagine spending 4 years of my life at such a conservative (and frankly backward) institution. Therefore, I didn't put down a deposit. Thankfully I was accepted elsewhere, but finding a place that you are going to be happy at is very important!

PCOM interviews and accepts students starting late September / early October. Applying early is so important and can potentially prevent a "delayed decision" like many of us applicants have recently received.

I am losing a deposit I also made at a school! A large amount. Accepted to another school after that. I just looked at it as being an insurance payment. I was not going to take the chance and I really liked the school anyway. I would have been happy there! After much thought, I accepted another acceptance later in the game and therefore lost my deposit! This is how the wait list is going to come into play. The dust is just starting to rise. There is going to be movement for sure. How do I know that the letters are going out early, before April 15th? I got one on Saturday!

Thanks![/QUO

Thanks!
Apply early! Do not linger on any supplementary. Send out VERY early. The minute the cycle opens up. Get those essays written and apply broadly. Do not put "all your eggs in one basket" because all schools are on their own agenda. I applied very early to PCOM. The second the cycle opened up and did not receive an interview until later in the game. Some of my interviews were early, middle and later. If you get an acceptance early in the game, you have won the lottery but you still might want to keep playing unless you are absolutely sure you want to fold your hand. Put that deposit down because you can not predict in this lottery how things are going to turn out and a lottery it is. I wanted to go the distance. Anticipate visitations to other schools and see "what is out there". I did not want to leave any stone unturned. Do not think that because you are "not the hottest of applicants" that you will not be accepted at a particular school. If you get an invite.............they are interested in you. At some interviews you will just "click" with the interviewers. Others, you will just know that it did not go well but you gave it your all. I kept going until the bitter end and my finances were depleted for travel etc. If you are applying DO..................get that DO letter ASAP! VERY important and rightfully so if you are applying DO. I have learned that most of the interviews happening in late January, February and March are going to be wait lists or delayed decisions. They have to crunch their numbers and predict what percentage are going to accept, change to other schools because of multiple acceptances etc. That is why they need to have wait lists and delayed decisions. An empty seat is lost money for four years for a school. Also, I think they can not go over acceptances by a great amount. Quite frankly, I do not know how they do it with the numbers. It must be a monumental task. I am thinking that one day, I would like to work in admissions for a medical school. My only gripe with this............if you spent the money and took the effort for the primary and secondary applications, the least a school can do is let you know either way. Some I did not hear from at all! Took my money and just let me hang. Not a rejection, wait list, delayed decision, or acceptance...............nothing. Not a nice thing to do to anyone who took the time, effort and money to apply to your school.

I am losing a deposit I also made at a school! A large amount. Accepted to another school after that. I just looked at it as being an insurance payment. I was not going to take the chance and I really liked the school anyway. I would have been happy there! After much thought, I accepted another acceptance later in the game and therefore lost my deposit! This is how the wait list is going to come into play. The dust is just starting to rise. There is going to be movement for sure. How do I know that the letters are going out early, before April 15th? I got one on Saturday!

@silvermecca, did you receive an acceptance post delayed decision??!

Apply early! Do not linger on any supplementary. Send out VERY early. The minute the cycle opens up. Get those essays written and apply broadly. Do not put "all your eggs in one basket" because all schools are on their own agenda. I applied very early to PCOM. The second the cycle opened up and did not receive an interview until later in the game. Some of my interviews were early, middle and later. If you get an acceptance early in the game, you have won the lottery but you still might want to keep playing unless you are absolutely sure you want to fold your hand. Put that deposit down because you can not predict in this lottery how things are going to turn out and a lottery it is. I wanted to go the distance. Anticipate visitations to other schools and see "what is out there". I did not want to leave any stone unturned. Do not think that because you are "not the hottest of applicants" that you will not be accepted at a particular school. If you get an invite.............they are interested in you. At some interviews you will just "click" with the interviewers. Others, you will just know that it did not go well but you gave it your all. I kept going until the bitter end and my finances were depleted for travel etc. If you are applying DO..................get that DO letter ASAP! VERY important and rightfully so if you are applying DO. I have learned that most of the interviews happening in late January, February and March are going to be wait lists or delayed decisions. They have to crunch their numbers and predict what percentage are going to accept, change to other schools because of multiple acceptances etc. That is why they need to have wait lists and delayed decisions. An empty seat is lost money for four years for a school. Also, I think they can not go over acceptances by a great amount. Quite frankly, I do not know how they do it with the numbers. It must be a monumental task. I am thinking that one day, I would like to work in admissions for a medical school. My only gripe with this............if you spent the money and took the effort for the primary and secondary applications, the least a school can do is let you know either way. Some I did not hear from at all! Took my money and just let me hang. Not a rejection, wait list, delayed decision, or acceptance...............nothing. Not a nice thing to do to anyone who took the time, effort and money to apply to your school.
Some schools will not send anything until they are done with offering all the spots. They are keeping their options open. If you didn't interview you will hear after the April final deposit, others will probably not hear until the start of classes for the just in case scenario

Some schools will not send anything until they are done with offering all the spots. They are keeping their options open. If you didn't interview you will hear after the April final deposit, others will probably not hear until the start of classes for the just in case scenario
Thanks futurexray! Makes me feel better. I just want closure with some of the schools that I applied to!! I think they should respond to everyone regardless. Good to hear that many of them do. Restores my faith in the system. Glad I do not have to do it again............at least in this life.

Thanks for the replies! Another question I had is about LOR. Most places seem to be 3 letters 2 of which need to be science profs. From the bit of digging I have done seems like PCOM is 3 science profs? How does a committee letter work into that, is it just a cherry on top or does it take the place of the letter requirements? I currently have 2 science prof letters and a DO letter (soon). I could also get my fire company's capt. to write a letter.

Thanks for the replies! Another question I had is about LOR. Most places seem to be 3 letters 2 of which need to be science profs. From the bit of digging I have done seems like PCOM is 3 science profs? How does a committee letter work into that, is it just a cherry on top or does it take the place of the letter requirements? I currently have 2 science prof letters and a DO letter (soon). I could also get my fire company's capt. to write a letter.

Your stats are good for PCOM. If you're unable to get a committee letter from your undergrad, PCOM requires 2 science letters and 1 nonscience letter from your professors.

So, how many interviewers do you think were given delayed decision letters? How well do you think SDN reflects those stats? Just trying to get an overview.

Check the website as they do clearly note that committee letter is preferred or you can get three faculty letters, two have to be from science and the other can be from science or other faculty. Only caveat is they have to be from faculty that issued a grade so sometimes research does not work. Be careful on that.

One of the hardest decisions that I've made in a very long time, but I will be withdrawing my acceptance from PCOM. They were the first school to believe in my ability to be a doctor and I will forever be grateful to them for that. I really hope my spot goes to one of you!

One of the hardest decisions that I've made in a very long time, but I will be withdrawing my acceptance from PCOM. They were the first school to believe in my ability to be a doctor and I will forever be grateful to them for that. I really hope my spot goes to one of you!

I must have gotten your seat! Thank you. Had to say almost the exact same thing on another medical school site. Hard to state the above, isn't it? Waitlists and delayed decisions are coming into play. The game continues. Good luck to all who are still waiting to hear! I hope all of you get an acceptance somewhere. To the incoming class at PCOM class of 2019, honored to be part of your group!

I must have gotten your seat! Thank you. Had to say almost the exact same thing on another medical school site. Hard to state the above, isn't it? Waitlists and delayed decisions are coming into play. The game continues. Good luck to all who are still waiting to hear! I hope all of you get an acceptance somewhere. To the incoming class at PCOM class of 2019, honored to be part of your group!
Congrats !! Did you just get an acceptance letter today?

Thanks!

for what its worth, i had a 3.18sgpa, 3.47 cgpa, 30 MCAT and got rejected. I was able to get feedback saying I needed to improve my sgpa. Good luck!

Hoping to see some movement for others on this site these coming weeks. Come on PCOM, attack that wait list and delayed decisions. Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear!