Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What type of questions should I be prepared for? I interview this Saturday and am looking to be as prepared as possible. ANY insight would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the Articles & Interviews tab at the top of the page.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an apartment/rental complexes where the renters are all just med students (not random people)? Also, does the school only use simulators instead of cadavers?

How does the secondary work for this school? Does it give out secondary to most of its applicants or not? You can say I am a super later applicant. I got my secondary today about two weeks after I submitted my application. Is it too late or do I still have a decent shot at an interview? I live in WV so I m pretty close to Pikeville.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after your secondary was confirmed to be recieved has everyone gotten an interview acceptance/denial. My confirmation e-mail for the secondary was received Dec. 13th and I still haven't heard anything yet... The e-mail said they'd either invite me for an interview or inform me if the slots were full. Not too sure if I should consider this a good thing or if this means that the class is almost full and should be stressing...

Any thoughts?:confused:

Good luck to those interviewing today and tomorrow! Just relax and be yourself and you'll do just fine! There are about 6 more dates left with the possibility for 2-4 more, depending on how many they have taken.

Is there an apartment/rental complexes where the renters are all just med students (not random people)? Also, does the school only use simulators instead of cadavers?

For the most part, we are scattered around town. The branch apts have ~15 of us in there with a few other ppl there too. There are also a few places in town that have clusters of med students but that happened randomly or was set up by the renters (all wanted to rent near each other).

We use real cadavers and it. Is. Awesome! I cannot tell you how much fun it is. We also are really respectful of our donor bodies and treat them like our first patient. The instructor is quite possibly the sweetest lady alive and lives for this. After discussing lab stuff with friends at other schools, I think we have the best quality of anatomy instruction

For the most part, we are scattered around town. The branch apts have ~15 of us in there with a few other ppl there too. There are also a few places in town that have clusters of med students but that happened randomly or was set up by the renters (all wanted to rent near each other).

We use real cadavers and it. Is. Awesome! I cannot tell you how much fun it is. We also are really respectful of our donor bodies and treat them like our first patient. The instructor is quite possibly the sweetest lady alive and lives for this. After discussing lab stuff with friends at other schools, I think we have the best quality of anatomy instruction
Thank you soooooooooo much! You honestly just brightened my day and I can't wait to attend this school! :)

If any of you guys are still on the fence about KYCOM, I would just like to point out that the current Miss Kentucky (competing for the title of Miss America tonight) is a Pikeville resident.

DISCLAIMER: You will not necessarily meet/date/fall in love with one of America's most beautiful women by attending KYCOM (but it sure won't hurt your chances :laugh:).

If I were to send in some updates to my application, does anyone know an email address for that? They said to forward it to the attention of the medical school admissions office. Does this mean they want it through snail mail or is the an email address? Any help please!!!

If I were to send in some updates to my application, does anyone know an email address for that? They said to forward it to the attention of the medical school admissions office. Does this mean they want it through snail mail or is the an email address? Any help please!!!

I'd do email. Make sure you have it addressed to Ronnie Collins and angel Hamilton. They'll get it to the right spot.

I interviewed this past Saturday 1/12. When should I expect to get the phone call? Do they still call if you're waitlisted?

Thanks!

Never mind, just got the call from the dean this evening!!! He's so awesome!! CLASS OF 2017 WOOOH!!!

Never mind, just got the call from the dean this evening!!! He's so awesome!! CLASS OF 2017 WOOOH!!!

Congrats! same to everyone else who has gotten the good news. See you in the Fall

Members don't see this ad :)

+1!! Super excited! However, how difficult will it be to find housing? I am from Alabama, so I will need to do extensive research before I make trips up there to view the apts. Any advice from current students or new acceptees who have already found housing would be greatly appreciated:D Thanks!

+1!! Super excited! However, how difficult will it be to find housing? I am from Alabama, so I will need to do extensive research before I make trips up there to view the apts. Any advice from current students or new acceptees who have already found housing would be greatly appreciated:D Thanks!

I'd try and make a trip up here to check out places and sign a lease while you're up here.

I had a few questions for the current students that are on the forum!!
1) What’s the cadaver/student ratio?
2) Is anatomy done alongside the lectures, or is anatomy just a block and we have to remember it throughout the blocks?
3) What kind of simulation rooms do you have? I know they said they have simulation robots, but do they have OR, ER, birthing suits?
Thank you for anyone that helps!

I had a few questions for the current students that are on the forum!!
1)What's the cadaver/student ratio?
2)Is anatomy done alongside the lectures, or is anatomy just a block and we have to remember it throughout the blocks?
3)What kind of simulation rooms do you have? I know they said they have simulation robots, but do they have OR, ER, birthing suits?
Thank you for anyone that helps!

1. 5:1
2. Lab and lecture are one course
3. Two sim ppl that can be configured to meet whatever needs you need. A man and baby. Also have a heart sounds dummy

Another great thing about us is our omt staff. They are time and time again referred to as experts in the field. I know the residents at the musculoskeletal residency at the local hospital turned down other larger programs to come learn under the best. Dean buser is possibly the best instructor of hvla techniques in the country. It's incredible how much the man knows and is respected in the do world

Agree with bmed, the current first years used the Facebook group this time last year to get to know each other, find housing posts, etc. Highly recommend it!

hey guys!

for the current students, how much do you guys like the school/curriculum/opportunities of the school? Anything you would change? thank you!

Just like any school, we have some ups and downs. There are definitely things that my class didn't like (growing pains of changing the curriculum and the new building), but the administration has been very open to suggestions and making our school the best we can be. So to the things that we may not like, the administration is working on to make it better for next years class.

I really loved the anatomy lab. Our lab instructor, Miss Julia, is great at what she does and really emphasizes that our cadavers are our first patient. She has her pet peeves that some people disliked, but my overall experience was great. I also really like POM ( the omt course). Some of my classmates also disliked it (because omt is not something they see themselves using in the future), but that was something that I came in legitimately interested in and I feel that I have learned a lot as a result of our new facilities and outstanding teachers.

Just like any school, we have some ups and downs. There are definitely things that my class didn't like (growing pains of changing the curriculum and the new building), but the administration has been very open to suggestions and making our school the best we can be. So to the things that we may not like, the administration is working on to make it better for next years class.

I really loved the anatomy lab. Our lab instructor, Miss Julia, is great at what she does and really emphasizes that our cadavers are our first patient. She has her pet peeves that some people disliked, but my overall experience was great. I also really like POM ( the omt course). Some of my classmates also disliked it (because omt is not something they see themselves using in the future), but that was something that I came in legitimately interested in and I feel that I have learned a lot as a result of our new facilities and outstanding teachers.

Lets be honest here... You just enjoyed getting to take off your top in class yesterday lol

I mean, why would I pass up an opportunity to show off in front of the entire class...lol

Is anyone interviewing Friday 2/8 or Saturday 2/9? I'll try to get assigned to those dates if you are... Just so you can meet a fellow sdner

What are the chances of me getting at interview at this time with a 3.4 GPA and a 24 MCAT?

Have you already submitted your primary application?

Have you already submitted your primary application?

Yeah my application was marked as complete today. The email I received said that they would inform me if I got an interview or if all the slots were filled for interviews already.

Yeah my application was marked as complete today. The email I received said that they would inform me if I got an interview or if all the slots were filled for interviews already.

Well then according to AACOM you submitted just before the Feb 2 deadline. So I would say there is a chance. Though if you do not get an interview don't be discouraged, try to apply as soon as the application cycle opens this summer. As long as you have good ECs you should get an interview then. I did, with similar stats.

Has anyone gotten any interview invites lately?? Have hear of a lot of acceptances, but the interview invites seem to be like none. Just trying to gauge when I will be contacted. I guess now I just play the waiting game?? Any advice on what I can do to speed the process? I sent an e-mail telling them I updated my AACOMAS and sent a transcript but I never heard anything back....

I got an interview here last week for feb 9th but decided to cancel it, so I hope one of you guys still waiting for an interview get my spot :)

Nope I am from New Jersey.

Ditto on that. I was complete in October (primary sent in August) and Director Collins said he would re-present my application and show off my improvement (3rd time applicant) stats to the board in Feb.

Good luck from one Jersey Resident to another.

does anyone know if KYCOM has transcripts of lectures?

does anyone know if KYCOM has transcripts of lectures?

Not sure what you're asking, but we are all given iPads at the beginning of the year and they provide our notes in PDF and PowerPoint format to use on the ipad. Some of my classmates print out all of the notes, but its expensive and you have to carry around a bulky notebook. I stick with the ipad.

sweet!! thanks and I can't remember if this was asked during the walk around during the interview but no recorded lectures either right?

Just found a place to stay with Mr. Ratliff! Very excited to get to pikeville.

sweet!! thanks and I can't remember if this was asked during the walk around during the interview but no recorded lectures either right?

Just found a place to stay with Mr. Ratliff! Very excited to get to pikeville.

You can record them yourself on the ipad but the school doesn't do it for us.

Tbh I tried recording but after a week, I said screw it. It's really not worth the effort to do for what you get out of it. You'll have some 130 other pairs of ears that you can ask if you missed something and the open door policy our staff has makes them soooooo accessible. I had a question on spinal cord blood supply the day before the test. Went up and got one of our neuro staff (one who didn't even present the said lecture) and we ended up having an hour long discussion about it and I was crystal clear on it

I called Dr.Collins and he said I was under consideration for an interview on Feb 22nd. When do you expect I would find out? The date is already fast approaching...

Does anyone know how full the Class of 2017 is as of now?

I called Dr.Collins and he said I was under consideration for an interview on Feb 22nd. When do you expect I would find out? The date is already fast approaching...

No idea. Depends on the number of interview spots left and qualified applicants and we don't know those. Relax though. I know ppl in my class that got in at the last minute or off the WL

Anyone get a call from the dean yet from the 2/8 interview?

Interviewing next Friday! Anyone have any advice for me? How were the interviews?

Interview Invite today for 2/22/13! Any advice for interviews?

Would current students please comment on the Branch Apartments, and other housing advice? Thanks