Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you go from an ER rotation straight to necropsy rotation right after... you sadly recognize many of the patients :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

When you go from an ER rotation straight to necropsy rotation right after... you sadly recognize many of the patients :(

*double checks signature*

I have a 6 week gap, whew! Though I am on radiology just prior so I may have brief interactions with some of my necropsy animals.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of my classmates experienced this during our rotations. They'd be on whatever service one week, have diagnostic med the next, and see patients they recognized. I've heard of that happening with med students too...getting cadavers they recognize. Horrifying, really, even if you do switch.

I can't imagine how med students do it. I really don't think I could dissect a human, especially if their face was uncovered.
We did an anatomy exchange with our med school where we toured each others anatomy labs. We got to see and handle their cadavers and vice versa. I thought it would be weird, but they don't really look real anymore. Most have been embalmed for a really long time and their skin takes on a weird rubber/plastic look. All of their hair has been shaven off too, including pubic hair. It was actually really interesting since they typically get old diseased cadavers and ours are all young and heathy for the most part.

We did an anatomy exchange with our med school where we toured each others anatomy labs. We got to see and handle their cadavers and vice versa. I thought it would be weird, but they don't really look real anymore. Most have been embalmed for a really long time and their skin takes on a weird rubber/plastic look. All of their hair has been shaven off too, including pubic hair. It was actually really interesting since they typically get old diseased cadavers and ours are all young and heathy for the most part.
I saw a human cadaver during a tour of a school for undergrad. It was already skinned by that point, but something about the fingers didn't sit well with me. I think I took it better than my dad, who had to go sit down after that...

What are some good things to put into a final exam care package? Want to send something to BF since he's having to study through his birthday.

I've never gotten a straight answer on where ours come from. I know there are student jobs devoted to picking up deceased animals from local shelters throughout the year, so maybe we get our dogs and limbs that way in addition to donated animals? I kind of think every anatomy teaching group should explain this to the class at the beginning of the year, but maybe that's just me. I really would like to know where they come from. Some of the dogs are in bad shape, others are super young/cute dogs.

I don't think we do a 'cremation ceremony' either, I know some schools do that.

For the cadavers we get, we're told that it's a privacy thing for why we can't know where ours come from. It's obviously owner privacy cause if it's a St. Bernard that died at X clinic, you could probably figure out who the owners were if you know who to talk to.

A lot of my classmates experienced this during our rotations. They'd be on whatever service one week, have diagnostic med the next, and see patients they recognized. I've heard of that happening with med students too...getting cadavers they recognize. Horrifying, really, even if you do switch.

I can't imagine how med students do it. I really don't think I could dissect a human, especially if their face was uncovered.

Because of my degree, I had to take human A+P and it's not bad once you get used to it. We didn't get to do the dissections (reserved for upper classmen), but we had four cadavers and there were about 5 of us per cadaver in the class. I was fine until the day they uncovered the face. Doing fine, got through lab. But on the walk back to my dorm, I went pasty white and had to run back to my suitemates' room and sit on one of their beds holding a trash can up to my face. I didn't get sick, but it was a weird experience. After that, no problems. I rationalized it that the person wanted us to do this with their body. I actually really liked the class.

For the cadavers we get, we're told that it's a privacy thing for why we can't know where ours come from. It's obviously owner privacy cause if it's a St. Bernard that died at X clinic, you could probably figure out who the owners were if you know who to talk to.

Because of my degree, I had to take human A+P and it's not bad once you get used to it. We didn't get to do the dissections (reserved for upper classmen), but we had four cadavers and there were about 5 of us per cadaver in the class. I was fine until the day they uncovered the face. Doing fine, got through lab. But on the walk back to my dorm, I went pasty white and had to run back to my suitemates' room and sit on one of their beds holding a trash can up to my face. I didn't get sick, but it was a weird experience. After that, no problems. I rationalized it that the person wanted us to do this with their body. I actually really liked the class.
Yeah, the face would definitely get me.

One of my cadavers for an ecc wetlab had a tiny little heart as a spay tattoo... that one made me a little sad.

What are some good things to put into a final exam care package? Want to send something to BF since he's having to study through his birthday.

Vast majority should be food imo. Depending on how he is... healthyish snacks vs. junk. Caffeine sources. Stress ball or little puzzle?

Gift cards for real food are great. $5-10 to his favorite fast food. My boyfriend did that and I loved it.

My contacts just arrived in the mail. They sent me 2 years worth instead of the 1 year I paid for. Do I say something or....?

Take it! I once did cash back at a CVS through one of those self check out machines. I tried to ask for $60 but was told I could only take out $40. So I put in $40 as the amount. Out comes a $100 bill and a $20. I was like just like "uhhh, do I say something??"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha! I feel so guilty about stuff like that, I always have to say something. Like I could seriously find a dollar in the middle of no where and feel bad, so I'm just weird haha

Ha! I feel so guilty about stuff like that, I always have to say something. Like I could seriously find a dollar in the middle of no where and feel bad, so I'm just weird haha
I normally do too but they've been rude to me and difficult to work with which makes me more inclined to just keep it...

To be honest, that's how I normally am, too. But at this point, even if Filly Bay did call the company, I'd imagine that it would be likely that they would just tell her to keep the extra year's worth of contacts, anyway. She's already gotten them, so...

I normally do too but they've been rude to me and difficult to work with which makes me more inclined to just keep it...

To be honest, that's how I normally am, too. But at this point, even if Filly Bay did call the company, I'd imagine that it would be likely that they would just tell her to keep the extra year's worth of contacts, anyway. She's already gotten them, so...

Oh, I don't think you're in the wrong to just keep it and not say anything! And they probably would just tell you to keep them, so I don't think it's a big deal.

I just have a ridiculously low threshold for feeling guilty over things :p my mom says she never worried about me lying as a kid, because if I did I would come to her crying to apologize shortly after :laugh:

Same here! Reminds me of when just last week, the people I was petsitting for added an extra 25$ to my check. I also got so nervous because I charge 25$ per visit, so I thought maybe they needed me an extra day, and I forgot. So I told them I thought it was incorrect, and turns out they just wanted to give me extra as a tip. :)

Why is my biggest accomplishment right now being able to pay for my lunch in quarters?

My dogs wouldn't come in when I called them this evening...went out and discovered them digging up a nest of baby rabbits (super young...barely any hair, no eyes open). I chased them out and set up some netting and tactical barricades to keep them from having another go, but I'm worried the mom won't come back after the dogs' investigation. I know, I know, nature and all, but I don't want baby bunnies to die in my garden.:grumpy:

My dogs wouldn't come in when I called them this evening...went out and discovered them digging up a nest of baby rabbits (super young...barely any hair, no eyes open). I chased them out and set up some netting and tactical barricades to keep them from having another go, but I'm worried the mom won't come back after the dogs' investigation. I know, I know, nature and all, but I don't want baby bunnies to die in my garden.:grumpy:
My boss rehabbed a baby bunny. She released it in the field behind the clinic. Then, one of the techs returned from lunch in time to see a hawk grab the baby bunny from the field and fly off. So, yeah, nature can be a b*****.
Hopefully, your bunnies will be alright now that you secured the nest.

My boss rehabbed a baby bunny. She released it in the field behind the clinic. Then, one of the techs returned from lunch in time to see a hawk grab the baby bunny from the field and fly off. So, yeah, nature can be a b*****.
Hopefully, your bunnies will be alright now that you secured the nest.

Well played, Trilt.

Oh, that sucks. We used to have that problem when my dad's old lab was alive--because when he discovered rabbit nests, he ATE the babies whole if given the chance. So of course we'd get him away from there, but it sucked because it seemed like there were no real options once that happened...he could just go back to the known location later and the babies would die, or the mother may not come back after the nest's destruction/babies being moved and the babies would still die, or we could attempt to bring them in for raising/rehabilitation (which would most likely fail), babies still die. Nature is nature, but I don't want my pets killing/eating things where it's preventable!

You can put some string/loose grass over the nest and see if it's disturbed overnight (aka the mom came back). She'll do one AM and one PM feeding. If you don't see her come within the next 24 hours, you should take them to a rehabber. It's always so hard though, you really want their mom to come so you wait, but every feeding they miss decreases their chances of survival by a lot. That, and no rehabber has great success with baby buns anyways.

Oh noooo the crying :(

That baby was old enough to be on it's own anyways. Silly people.

My grandma's house is about to sell so my dad is finally going to bring home some of the furniture pieces I put my name on (my grandma died like two years ago so it's about time).

I have a Federalist style hutch/cabinet thing that I'm taking. It's not too tall or deep so it will fit in my current place. I'm gonna paint it navy or indigo. I'm sure my grandmother would have bitched about that but it's going to look awesome.

Oh man, am I following a hilarious Facebook argument right now. Someone apparently left their trash bag in the hallway at the dorms instead of going down to the dumpster and someone took a picture and posted asking what could be done about. An argument has ensued over why the OP couldn't just take the trash out herself instead of putting it on social media. Oh, I'm dead.

Oh man, am I following a hilarious Facebook argument right now. Someone apparently left their trash bag in the hallway at the dorms instead of going down to the dumpster and someone took a picture and posted asking what could be done about. An argument has ensued over why the OP couldn't just take the trash out herself instead of putting it on social media. Oh, I'm dead.
This is why I don't miss being an RA...

Writing a thank you letter to my research advisor, and oh the feels... I've worked with her for the last 3 years. Great mentors are great.

Reactions: 1 users
http://www.palmbeachzoo.org/Palm-Be...-of-Lead-Keeper-Stacey-Konwiser?returnTo=main Wasn't expecting this. I was thinking that there was miscommunication between her and another keeper about where the tiger was. I'm curious to see if any employees/her husband mention she had any odd behavior/mood that day or leading up to this, or if the zoo is not being 100% truthful when they say she was fully aware the tiger could approach her.

I certainly wasn't implying that was the worst I had to deal with. Trust me, it wasn't. I did the job for 3 years. I just hated the petty stuff.

I get you. If there's a lot of little things going on, it makes dealing with the real things that much harder.

On a separate note, our campus does a community service event every year called the Big Event right after our spring football game. Then the students do a drinking fest out in the middle of a field (keg races). I think the football coach tried to curb keg races this year cause the football players just came in an between the 56 of them, they planted 800 trees and repainted two cabins. I think they were hoping they would wear them out. :rofl: Didn't work it seems like. lol. Tonight will be interesting.

In the last hour, I've:
-Taken the leftover pizza out of the fridge, heated it up, and gave my husband a slice
-Let my dog inside and fed him dinner
-Ate a salad
-turned on all the lights

And I don't remember any of this. I'm going to fail my finals monday and tuesday, aren't I? :oops:

In the last hour, I've:
-Taken the leftover pizza out of the fridge, heated it up, and gave my husband a slice
-Let my dog inside and fed him dinner
-Ate a salad
-turned on all the lights

And I don't remember any of this. I'm going to fail my finals monday and tuesday, aren't I? :oops:
:eek: . . . how much sleep have you gotten recently?

Actual conversation at work:
Tech: What were to happen if a human took propofol?
Me: Michael Jackson.
Tech:...Oh right....

(I know it has legitimate medical uses, but that answer just fell out of me before I could stop it.)

Reactions: 2 users
http://www.palmbeachzoo.org/Palm-Be...-of-Lead-Keeper-Stacey-Konwiser?returnTo=main Wasn't expecting this. I was thinking that there was miscommunication between her and another keeper about where the tiger was. I'm curious to see if any employees/her husband mention she had any odd behavior/mood that day or leading up to this, or if the zoo is not being 100% truthful when they say she was fully aware the tiger could approach her.
So sad :( Even if she should have been fully aware the tiger could approach her, there's no way to say where her head was at in that moment. It very well could still have been a mistake.

I can't remember if I ever mentioned who I was to you :p
Oh you did (or I recognized you from that one time you posted a pic in the lounge?) I know who you are :D
By "everyone" I mean like...3 people. Sometimes a post shows up on my feed and it just takes a few minutes to determine who it is.