Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Funny-Game-of-Thrones-13.jpg

Game of Thrones was great tonight! Also, I'm surprised that there doesn't appear to be any threads specifically about TV/movies. At least, I couldn't find any through the search function.

Members don't see this ad.

Funny-Game-of-Thrones-13.jpg

Game of Thrones was great tonight! Also, I'm surprised that there doesn't appear to be any threads specifically about TV/movies. At least, I couldn't find any through the search function.
There's a thread dedicated to season 6 over in the lounge.

Reactions: 1 user
Note to self... No new workout regimens during finals week. I can't walk.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is my birthday today. I feel so old.

I feel like I am the only person pissed about last night's episode.....

I feel like I am the only person pissed about last night's episode.....

Would it even be game of thrones if someone wasn't pissed about it?? :p

I'm going to have to binge watch this season this summer. I LOOOOVE GoT but haven't gotten to watch this season yet :( dammit school!

Would it even be game of thrones if someone wasn't pissed about it?? :p

I'm going to have to binge watch this season this summer. I LOOOOVE GoT but haven't gotten to watch this season yet :( dammit school!

I also may or may not be salty about the fact the next book isn't out yet. So I take out my nerd rage on the show.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, this is interesting...

"Australia plans to kill plague of European carp with herpes virus"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...with-herpes-viru/?cid=sf25481293&sf25481293=1
Interesting, but it said the virus should only kill 95% of the carp. Wouldn't the remaining carp have some level of resistance to the virus? When they breed, they would essentially start to regain their population levels, only now with carp that are resistant to this herpes virus.

Something similar was tried with myxoma virus in rabbits in Australia. The rabbit population was reduced to 1/6 of its original size, the remaining rabbits bred, and the new population was resistant to the virus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia#Biological_measures

I'm not a big fan of biological control measures in general since it's so easy for them to go awry (in the same wiki article I linked they talk about accidentally releasing a calicivirus into wild rabbit populations before they finished testing it, as well as unintentionally infecting people's pet rabbits with calici and myxoma viruses). Functionally speaking I think these measures usually just end up selecting for resistant animals anyway. Unfortunately there aren't really great ways to deal with invasive species, so whatever works I suppose.

I think I would also be concerned with having such a large amount of dead fish around - they mentioned in the article that they hadn't yet decided what to do with them.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm the most Louisianian mistake I have made today, I spilled Tony Chachere's on my Mac and cheese. I think I can breathe fire now!

Interesting, but it said the virus should only kill 95% of the carp. Wouldn't the remaining carp have some level of resistance to the virus? When they breed, they would essentially start to regain their population levels, only now with carp that are resistant to this herpes virus.

Something similar was tried with myxoma virus in rabbits in Australia. The rabbit population was reduced to 1/6 of its original size, the remaining rabbits bred, and the new population was resistant to the virus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia#Biological_measures

I'm not a big fan of biological control measures in general since it's so easy for them to go awry (in the same wiki article I linked they talk about accidentally releasing a calicivirus into wild rabbit populations before they finished testing it, as well as unintentionally infecting people's pet rabbits with calici and myxoma viruses). Functionally speaking I think these measures usually just end up selecting for resistant animals anyway. Unfortunately there aren't really great ways to deal with invasive species, so whatever works I suppose.

I think I would also be concerned with having such a large amount of dead fish around - they mentioned in the article that they hadn't yet decided what to do with them.

I had a lot of similar questions, haha... Then again, as one person commented on another article about this, it might come down to picking your poison - leaving the carps unchecked and thus guaranteeing continued ecosystem annihilation, or risking ecological damage/other issues that may be a consequence of how you manage the carp population. Definitely a tricky situation.

I had not heard of the myxoma virus + rabbits situation, that's interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of invasive species.... was just watching a video of goldfish being added to a lake to control midge flies.

I made the mistake of reading the comments.

I have no idea how this person managed to do this... but he seriously compared introducing goldfish to the lake to vaccinating a child and how the vaccine is bad for the child and causes the autisms. I tried to read it twice just to even comprehend his jump in logic, can't comprehend. Does not compute.

Reactions: 2 users
I have no idea how this person managed to do this... but he seriously compared introducing goldfish to the lake to vaccinating a child and how the vaccine is bad for the child and causes the autisms. I tried to read it twice just to even comprehend his jump in logic, can't comprehend. Does not compute.

That is definitely a, um, very creative line of reasoning.

Speaking of invasive species.... was just watching a video of goldfish being added to a lake to control midge flies.

I made the mistake of reading the comments.

Does this mean the lake is going to get autism or...

Reactions: 6 users
I swear my brain sometimes. So last night I had a dream that around the start of June, Texas A&M offered me a seat in their class even though I neither applied nor interviewed here. Apparently dream me doesn't think mistakes are possible, because I was like, "that OOS tuition rate, hailz yes, I'm going!" and dropped out of the MSU class to accept my seat there. So THEN in what my dream brain concluded to be August, LSU pulls me from the waitlist. So I was super conflicted obviously. I got my incoming student packet from MSU yesterday and just told them how I want my name monogrammed on my gray(?) coat, so maybe this is paranoia setting in?

Anyone else going to Civil War tonight?

I have my have my Captain America dress and Black Widow jacket ready! :corny:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else going to Civil War tonight?

I have my have my Captain America dress and Black Widow dress ready! :corny:
Yessssss!! My friends and I are going to see it tonight and we are so excited for it! :D

Show up to first showing of Civil War an hour and fifteen minutes before show time.

Am #50 in theater.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Emailing back and forth with some faculty and all I can think is: " Jessica, ..." Ugh, my first name sucks. Why didn't I force a nickname on people twenty years ago? I could be something more exotic, less feminine, and less easily tied to a ten year time frame in the mid-80's to early 90's when everyone named their baby girls Jessica. Thanks mom.

Of course I would discover an amazing food truck that's just a couple blocks from my apartment when I'll be moving to Kansas soon. It's Thai/Mexican fusion, so hipster but sooo tasty. :love: And the portions are enormous!

Emailing back and forth with some faculty and all I can think is: " Jessica, ..." Ugh, my first name sucks. Why didn't I force a nickname on people twenty years ago? I could be something more exotic, less feminine, and less easily tied to a ten year time frame in the mid-80's to early 90's when everyone named their baby girls Jessica. Thanks mom.
I know them feels. Not a Jessica, but the second most common name of the days. I'm never the only one with my name. :yeahright:

Strangely enough, my name gets confused with Jessica soooo often.

I've been with my wife for a bit over 6 years now, and I still can't correctly pronounce her name. Luckily her middle name is something I can manage

The problem with my name is that it seems like 90% of the people who go by this name are using it as a nickname so I get a lot of
A) People asking what my real name is/assuming it's not my real name
B) Assuming that since I must be using a nickname anyways, I must not mind being called the even shorter version

Anyone sitting in front of the tele in a hat watching Derby day?
I wish. Stupid job. We've had 4 missed appointments and another couple cancellations. Our last patient left at 5 and we're open until 7. We had 2 appointments this afternoon. 2. Someone just kill me now.