Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a really slow writer and I reject word count goals. :p I give myself spacial goals when I write - get to x part of the story this month, write x number of scenes, etc.
Doesn't work for those who don't plan their stories out at all :heckyeah: The theory is that such a big word count goal kind of forces you to let go and just get the first draft done - which is typically a problem for me because I'll go back and revise the first page 10 times and never move forward. I didn't really take it seriously the previous two times I did it, but I think I can do it this time! Maybe!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't work for those who don't plan their stories out at all :heckyeah: The theory is that such a big word count goal kind of forces you to let go and just get the first draft done - which is typically a problem for me because I'll go back and revise the first page 10 times and never move forward. I didn't really take it seriously the previous two times I did it, but I think I can do it this time! Maybe!
I just started working on a project again that I abandoned last summer. I wrote like 500 words the other day and felt immensely accomplished.

I just started working on a project again that I abandoned last summer. I wrote like 500 words the other day and felt immensely accomplished.
I'll be using nanowrimo to work on a project I started like...2 years ago. And haven't worked on in a year. 10,000 words in, hoping I can get to 60,000 next month and call the first draft complete at last.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be using nanowrimo to work on a project I started like...2 years ago. And haven't worked on in a year. 10,000 words in, hoping I can get to 60,000 next month and call the first draft complete at last.

If you need a critique partner, I happen to be available ;):D

This was going to go in the rant thread, but I decided to try to be more constructive about it. How do you all go about handling conflicts between you and another DVM/student regarding treatment, prognosis, etc.?

For context, I'm a team leader at the wildlife clinic at school, and we're in decision making positions regarding treatment, prognosis, and so on. There's several of us leaders on one team, and ever since I (politely) pointed out that something a co-team leader was doing with a patient was incorrect/a bad idea, she's been almost desperately trying to pick apart everything I do. It's even happening in the classroom now, where she's interrupting conversations she's eavesdropped on to make sure I know 'how much she knows' about what the conversation topic is. I truly do feel I picked my words really carefully when I corrected her, but I do know this person fairly well and she's treated others like this before (she would always throw major attitude whenever someone corrected her during anatomy lab) so I don't think it was what I said that was the problem as I was really cautious when I said it. I almost had decided to keep my mouth shut because I knew this was going to come after, but a patient was being put at risk. I just didn't know she was going to do it for this long.

This has been ongoing for two weeks and I've kept a fairly cool head about it thus far, but I'm starting to lose my patience. I'm hoping some of you have ideas, as I've never quite been in this position before (disagreeing on something relating to patients). It almost feels like she's trying to battle me for dominance or something, honestly. I consider her a friend, so I'd like to try to salvage the friendship, but it really seems like she despises me right now.

This was going to go in the rant thread, but I decided to try to be more constructive about it. How do you all go about handling conflicts between you and another DVM/student regarding treatment, prognosis, etc.?

For context, I'm a team leader at the wildlife clinic at school, and we're in decision making positions regarding treatment, prognosis, and so on. There's several of us leaders on one team, and ever since I (politely) pointed out that something a co-team leader was doing with a patient was incorrect/a bad idea, she's been almost desperately trying to pick apart everything I do. It's even happening in the classroom now, where she's interrupting conversations she's eavesdropped on to make sure I know 'how much she knows' about what the conversation topic is. I truly do feel I picked my words really carefully when I corrected her, but I do know this person fairly well and she's treated others like this before (she would always throw major attitude whenever someone corrected her during anatomy lab) so I don't think it was what I said that was the problem as I was really cautious when I said it. I almost had decided to keep my mouth shut because I knew this was going to come after, but a patient was being put at risk. I just didn't know she was going to do it for this long.

This has been ongoing for two weeks and I've kept a fairly cool head about it thus far, but I'm starting to lose my patience. I'm hoping some of you have ideas, as I've never quite been in this position before (disagreeing on something relating to patients). It almost feels like she's trying to battle me for dominance or something, honestly. I consider her a friend, so I'd like to try to salvage the friendship, but it really seems like she despises me right now.
People do things like this to get a reaction, if you give a reaction, she'll get what she wants and will likely keep going or push things further. It's probably best to not react at all and completely ignore her behavior and eventually she will realize she can't get a reaction out of you and she will move on. If you confront her, even privately and in a nice respectful way, it likely won't go well. Take the high road and just let her have her temper tantrum.

People do things like this to get a reaction, if you give a reaction, she'll get what she wants and will likely keep going or push things further. It's probably best to not react at all and completely ignore her behavior and eventually she will realize she can't get a reaction out of you and she will move on. If you confront her, even privately and in a nice respectful way, it likely won't go well. Take the high road and just let her have her temper tantrum.
Thanks, appreciate the advice :). Hopefully it blows over quickly.

if she's been doing it for 2 weeks without a reaction I doubt that will change, tbh.

Can you pull her aside and talk to her 1 on 1? Let her know that you didn't want to undermine her, just wanted to share your thoughts?

And maybe in the future, you may need to change the way you present your thoughts to her.

if she's been doing it for 2 weeks without a reaction I doubt that will change, tbh.

Can you pull her aside and talk to her 1 on 1? Let her know that you didn't want to undermine her, just wanted to share your thoughts?

And maybe in the future, you may need to change the way you present your thoughts to her.
I could definitely try, but honestly I've been dwelling on it for the last few hours and I'm not so sure it's worth it. I get the feeling she feels inadequate regardless of being corrected or not, so I think a lot of it is working out her issues on her own end and I can't do much about that. She's expressed those feelings to me in the past, especially when it comes to dealing with other people who have zoo/wildlife goals, and it's kind of a known thing among her circle that she's extremely sensitive about it. I definitely respect that and would never intentionally push anyone's buttons. Really, I'm not sure how else to nicely tell someone they are putting a patient in danger other than "Hey, I think there might be a safer way to go about this. Can we try ____ instead and see how it works?" I'm not sure how else to phrase things in the future to protect her feelings...I made sure not to make an accusatory or blaming statement and I thought that would have worked.

Last edited:
I could definitely try, but honestly I've been dwelling on it for the last few hours and I'm not so sure it's worth it. I get the feeling she feels inadequate regardless of being corrected or not, so I think a lot of it is working out her issues on her own end and I can't do much about that. She's expressed those feelings to me in the past, especially when it comes to dealing with other people who have zoo/wildlife goals, and it's kind of a known thing among her circle that she's extremely sensitive about it. I definitely respect that and would never intentionally push anyone's buttons. Really, I'm not sure how else to nicely tell someone they are putting a patient in danger other than "Hey, I think there might be a safer way to go about this. Can we try ____ instead and see how it works?" I'm not sure how else to phrase things in the future to protect her feelings...I made sure not to make an accusatory or blaming statement and I thought that would have worked.

Is there not a DVM overseeing you all? In the future I would consider raising your concerns to the intern/resident/faculty first, that's part of that supervisory role. That gives you a learning opportunity if her way was in fact acceptable but more importantly alerts faculty to watch and teach her without you becoming the 'bad guy'. Your comments may have been in the heat of the moment and warranted at that time, but if there was time I have found that people take better correction from someone they view as having authority more so than peers, often. It sounds like you were as gentle as you could have been.

Edit: To clarify, I wouldn't phrase it accusatory or 'tattling'-like i.e. 'Suzy wasn't restraining right' but rather say something to the person in charge more along the lines of 'How would you go about restraining this patient? I wonder how we can do it better in the future.' It gets the point across that you didn't like how it played out but more as a learning opportunity for everyone.

Last edited:
Is there not a DVM overseeing you all? In the future I would consider raising your concerns to the intern/resident/faculty first, that's part of that supervisory role. That gives you a learning opportunity if her way was in fact acceptable but more importantly alerts faculty to watch and teach her. Your comments may have been in the heat of the moment and warranted at that time, but I have found that people take correction from someone they view as having authority more so than peers, often.
There are two DVMs around, but we are first and foremost a student run clinic. They rarely are in the clinic compared to the amount of time students are (they really only 'assist' us with decisions and one of the DVMs handles major clinic drama, which this isn't). I definitely see what you're saying though...I think she would have taken the exact same sentence entirely differently if it came from even our 3rd year co-leader tbh. She really does seem to have a thing against her 'peers' if she feels threatened or inadequate. That does make me kind of sad, because I can absolutely relate. I just choose to handle it differently.

I can tell you her method really wasn't acceptable/safe (I'd give specifics but it'd be a dead giveaway to who I am since there are clinic volunteers on SDN!). I think part of the problem was that she probably knew that in hindsight, but just wasn't thinking about the consequences, so is frustrated she got 'caught' for lack of a better term.

I suppose if she doesn't let up at all in the next week or so, I will have to pull her aside. I think today was just the point where I'm starting to fed up with all of it. I really appreciate the advice, you guys. I'm definitely the type to just sit there and take a bunch of crap, so it's good to hear different perspectives on the situation and what could be done sooner rather than later.

I feel messages usually are non confrontational.

I feel x may work because y. For instance.

But regardless if you know it's an issue for her, perhaps telling her it wasn't your intent to undermine her could go a long way. She's obviously got confidence issues in this area. So while you didn't intend it to, it probably brought that to the forefront for her.

Your choice though. It's already bothering you now. What happens in 2 more?

Members don't see this ad :)
So today at work we had a dog with a torn cruciate and the doctor let me feel the left and right stifle to feel the difference but I didn't notice anything. Sometimes when they show me things on X-rays or during palpation of the abdomen, I literally have zero clue what they are talking about.... Is this normal? I am usually pretty honest and say no but I start feeling awkward and like I'm a burden so I usually just lie and say "oh yeah mhm yup"
after awhile. :p

IMG_2444.JPG
We got an albino coon at the sanctuary today!

Reactions: 8 users
So today at work we had a dog with a torn cruciate and the doctor let me feel the left and right stifle to feel the difference but I didn't notice anything. Sometimes when they show me things on X-rays or during palpation of the abdomen, I literally have zero clue what they are talking about.... Is this normal? I am usually pretty honest and say no but I start feeling awkward and like I'm a burden so I usually just lie and say "oh yeah mhm yup"
Haha for sure. Remember we spend all day feeling up normal animals, so what might feel very obvious to a doc doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to appreciate for someone who is just jumping in. And some things are just tough... for the life of me I don't appreciate the tibial thrust test even when our surgeon is basically holding my hands through it. Just gotta keep feeling, it comes eventually. :)

Haha for sure. Remember we spend all day feeling up normal animals, so what might feel very obvious to a doc doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to appreciate for someone who is just jumping in. And some things are just tough... for the life of me I don't appreciate the tibial thrust test even when our surgeon is basically holding my hands through it. Just gotta keep feeling, it comes eventually. :)

For a while after I started working I would make my boss feel stifles for me to confirm my suspicions. Especially on big dogs, I just couldn't seem to make that cranial drawer sign. Heck, even now, I don't even bother trying on some big dogs while they are awake. I swear my hands are just too small. Sedated ortho exams FTW.

I hate trying to get a cranial drawer sign, I find tibial thrust to be much easier to identify. And some dogs, just forget it, not getting either of them without really good sedation.

Totally normal. I've spent most of my vet school life in surgery and I LOVE orthopedics and I LOVE TPLOs so I've felt a lot of knees over the last few years. I know I have 100+ cruciate surgeries documented that I've scrubbed in on, so I know I've probably felt a couple hundred knees. That being said, I always found tibial thrust pretty easy but cranial drawer was ridiculously hard for me, especially on those big meaty pitties. After four years of trying and trying (plus my time as a VA before vet school), I'm only now somewhat confident in my skills at evaluating drawer. Just keep trying, and don't be afraid to say you don't feel or see something -- that's how you learn ;)

This is me with drawer. I feel like I'm significantly more likely to see the tibial thrust. Discomfort on hyperextension is also my other got to for increasing my suspicions. Half the time, I get nothing cause they're just so freaking worked up.

Totally normal. I've spent most of my vet school life in surgery and I LOVE orthopedics and I LOVE TPLOs so I've felt a lot of knees over the last few years. I know I have 100+ cruciate surgeries documented that I've scrubbed in on, so I know I've probably felt a couple hundred knees. That being said, I always found tibial thrust pretty easy but cranial drawer was ridiculously hard for me, especially on those big meaty pitties. After four years of trying and trying (plus my time as a VA before vet school), I'm only now somewhat confident in my skills at evaluating drawer. Just keep trying, and don't be afraid to say you don't feel or see something -- that's how you learn ;)
:dead: thank goodness for people like you who enjoy that stuff, makes me want to gouge my eyes out haha. i think i actually can go the rest of my life now without having to scrub in on another orthopedic procedure (presumably all my residency sx weeks can be soft tissue)

Working on a project about animal cruelty for a class and found this case study about a woman who lived in a school bus with 115 dogs, four cats, and two chickens. (A few years later she was also pulled over while driving with five dogs, forty cats, and a rabbit in her car). She was investigated for animal hoarding in 6 different states and was so frustrating that there is now an animal cruelty law nicknamed after her on the books in Oregon.

http://aldf.org/resources/laws-cases/animal-hoarding-case-study-vikki-kittles/

Reactions: 2 users
Working on a project about animal cruelty for a class and found this case study about a woman who lived in a school bus with 115 dogs, four cats, and two chickens. (A few years later she was also pulled over while driving with five dogs, forty cats, and a rabbit in her car). She was investigated for animal hoarding in 6 different states and was so frustrating that there is now an animal cruelty law nicknamed after her on the books in Oregon.

Do not go look up her name. I was pretty sure I heard this name and a few of the aliases. Still pretty sure.

The rescue I was working at was trying to talk a Vikki near Cheyenne living in a trailer to give up some of the 90+ cats. I don't know if they are one and the same, but I almost want to call and ask the rescue.

She has a Google plus account for sure and it made my head and heart hurt to see how she twists animal rescue ideas. Pretty sure it is the same one in this case since she commonly brings up how her horses were seized and poisoned and when she posted a lost cat pic, told people to "look at laboratory animal sales." She also recommended people take in animals at the expense of their own comfort so that they wont be euthanized. And 9 cats is nothing. Seriously?

Speaking of TV shows coming soon (another thread, but not relevant there), anybody else excited about Dirk Gently?:soexcited:

This was my "favorite" part:
During her incarceration in the county jail, one fellow inmate begged to be sent on to the state women’s prison rather than suffer another night in a cell with Vikki Kittles.

This was my "favorite" part:
It's definitely a very unusual case. If you read other articles about it some municipalities responded to her by basically giving her a can of gas and telling her to get the heck out of dodge. She also once brought a severed horse leg as evidence for a case and no one was really sure where she got it from.

Do not go look up her name. I was pretty sure I heard this name and a few of the aliases. Still pretty sure.

The rescue I was working at was trying to talk a Vikki near Cheyenne living in a trailer to give up some of the 90+ cats. I don't know if they are one and the same, but I almost want to call and ask the rescue.

She has a Google plus account for sure and it made my head and heart hurt to see how she twists animal rescue ideas. Pretty sure it is the same one in this case since she commonly brings up how her horses were seized and poisoned and when she posted a lost cat pic, told people to "look at laboratory animal sales." She also recommended people take in animals at the expense of their own comfort so that they wont be euthanized. And 9 cats is nothing. Seriously?
She's gone by many aliases from what I can tell. Though she did have a history of adopting animals from shelters and hoarding them, I also wouldn't be surprised if the person you're describing is someone else entirely. I've met a lot of people who put a lot of efforts into picking up as many animals as possible under the misguided belief that they're saving them from a worse fate. Rescuers (and rescues) that turn out to be hoarders are unfortunately more common than they should be.

I will also add that I think hoarders require a lot of resources and interventions that many places are unable or unwilling to provide. About a quarter of all hoarders need to be placed into permanent care because of a generalized inability to care for themselves and I think the role of adult protective services really can't be understated here.

The problem with animal hoarding in particular is that what you're seeing is typically concomitant animal neglect and self neglect (and, in some cases, child and/or elder abuse) but the response is often to one or the other rather than to both. Combine that with the complexity and unique nature of hoarding as a crime and it's unsurprising that many places are not particularly well equipped to address hoarding situations in a satisfying and meaningful way. Of course, this woman in particular is an unusual case given the extreme degree of both her hoarding and her manipulative tendencies, but at the same time I do think she would benefit from some level of supervised care even if she would be significantly less amenable to it than the average hoarder.

It's definitely a very unusual case. If you read other articles about it some municipalities responded to her by basically giving her a can of gas and telling her to get the heck out of dodge. She also once brought a severed horse leg as evidence for a case and no one was really sure where she got it from.

She's gone by many aliases from what I can tell. Though she did have a history of adopting animals from shelters and hoarding them, I also wouldn't be surprised if the person you're describing is someone else entirely. I've met a lot of people who put a lot of efforts into picking up as many animals as possible under the misguided belief that they're saving them from a worse fate. Rescuers (and rescues) that turn out to be hoarders are unfortunately more common than they should be.

I will also add that I think hoarders require a lot of resources and interventions that many places are unable or unwilling to provide. About a quarter of all hoarders need to be placed into permanent care because of a generalized inability to care for themselves and I think the role of adult protective services really can't be understated here.

The problem with animal hoarding in particular is that what you're seeing is typically concomitant animal neglect and self neglect (and, in some cases, child and/or elder abuse) but the response is often to one or the other rather than to both. Combine that with the complexity and unique nature of hoarding as a crime and it's unsurprising that many places are not particularly well equipped to address hoarding situations in a satisfying and meaningful way. Of course, this woman in particular is an unusual case given the extreme degree of both her hoarding and her manipulative tendencies, but at the same time I do think she would benefit from some level of supervised care even if she would be significantly less amenable to it than the average hoarder.
It might not be the same lady. I was not one of the ones to head up to her place. My general understanding of the situation was that this woman was either squatting or had placed her trailer in some remote acreage expecting nobody would notice, or was a tenant and the landlord was threatening eviction. Either way, authorities approached the house, smelled what they thought was a dead body, and she came out threatening them. During the brief period her door was open they realized that this was a massive animal hoarding situation. The state has had trouble with this woman before in a different area and were trying to treat her delicately.

Someone contacted our community outreach coordinator as he is known for having a way with "crazy cat ladies." Lo and behold, she actually let him visit. Animal control had removed some obvious neglect cases from the exterior of her home, but she had not let anyone inside. She did let our guy in and over the course of like 2 months she slowly let him have a few cats at a time. They were all very malnourished, covered in ringworm and smelled awful. A few had cases that needed surgical care (enucleations, a poorly healed broken limb or 2), and for the most part, that was what she slowly gave us.

The local police decided to give her an ultimatum that she had to get rid of enough cats that the house could be cleaned, then decided the building was not salvageable as the floor had actually collapsed in some areas under feces.

Our guy talked her into giving us everything she was willing to part with. She told us she was keeping her original cats and their families but we could take her less special cats since we had done soo well in rehoming the prior cases. This would drop her from about 97 cats to near 20.

But there were restrictions. She was terrified of government. Was pretty sure that people were trying to poison her and her cats (actually blamed her and their health problems on poisoning... despite living in a port-o-potty. And a few other conspiracy theories. So we could only sent the original guy, and 1 or 2 others to load up 50-70 cats. Our guy was also afraid she would decide to keep whatever we did not get on that run, so those poor people were up there with respirators on, pulling cats from her house for almost 12 hours. They found litters she didn't know she had, several dead bodies, though she tried hard to keep those all stored in her freezer.

Anyway, the whole situation was touch and go from day one because this woman was paranoid, aggressive, and afraid/angry about interactions with the law. We saved a lot of cats and spayed and neutered them all with a couple grants and help from Wyoming.

I only know this much because I helped give care to many of these cats and helped with surgeries. They tried to keep as much as they could confidential, and I really got the impression that Wyoming was trying to solve it outside of court and legal action. Just, if it was the same woman, the names, the details... some of the finer points of her history would fit.

And then the Google account... it just would all fit. It is entirely possible that my brain would just like to consolidate these women together so I can feel like there are fewer of them in the world. I am aware there are others (The woman who had 80 rabbits seized from her home a few years ago, tried to keep them from being adopted out, tried to sue the county for euthanising some of the very ill and malnourished ones, and managed to keep a position of authority in the House Rabbit Association.), but part of me is probably trying to decrease their reality by merging them.

It might not be the same lady. I was not one of the ones to head up to her place. My general understanding of the situation was that this woman was either squatting or had placed her trailer in some remote acreage expecting nobody would notice, or was a tenant and the landlord was threatening eviction. Either way, authorities approached the house, smelled what they thought was a dead body, and she came out threatening them. During the brief period her door was open they realized that this was a massive animal hoarding situation. The state has had trouble with this woman before in a different area and were trying to treat her delicately.

Someone contacted our community outreach coordinator as he is known for having a way with "crazy cat ladies." Lo and behold, she actually let him visit. Animal control had removed some obvious neglect cases from the exterior of her home, but she had not let anyone inside. She did let our guy in and over the course of like 2 months she slowly let him have a few cats at a time. They were all very malnourished, covered in ringworm and smelled awful. A few had cases that needed surgical care (enucleations, a poorly healed broken limb or 2), and for the most part, that was what she slowly gave us.

The local police decided to give her an ultimatum that she had to get rid of enough cats that the house could be cleaned, then decided the building was not salvageable as the floor had actually collapsed in some areas under feces.

Our guy talked her into giving us everything she was willing to part with. She told us she was keeping her original cats and their families but we could take her less special cats since we had done soo well in rehoming the prior cases. This would drop her from about 97 cats to near 20.

But there were restrictions. She was terrified of government. Was pretty sure that people were trying to poison her and her cats (actually blamed her and their health problems on poisoning... despite living in a port-o-potty. And a few other conspiracy theories. So we could only sent the original guy, and 1 or 2 others to load up 50-70 cats. Our guy was also afraid she would decide to keep whatever we did not get on that run, so those poor people were up there with respirators on, pulling cats from her house for almost 12 hours. They found litters she didn't know she had, several dead bodies, though she tried hard to keep those all stored in her freezer.

Anyway, the whole situation was touch and go from day one because this woman was paranoid, aggressive, and afraid/angry about interactions with the law. We saved a lot of cats and spayed and neutered them all with a couple grants and help from Wyoming.

I only know this much because I helped give care to many of these cats and helped with surgeries. They tried to keep as much as they could confidential, and I really got the impression that Wyoming was trying to solve it outside of court and legal action. Just, if it was the same woman, the names, the details... some of the finer points of her history would fit.

And then the Google account... it just would all fit. It is entirely possible that my brain would just like to consolidate these women together so I can feel like there are fewer of them in the world. I am aware there are others (The woman who had 80 rabbits seized from her home a few years ago, tried to keep them from being adopted out, tried to sue the county for euthanising some of the very ill and malnourished ones, and managed to keep a position of authority in the House Rabbit Association.), but part of me is probably trying to decrease their reality by merging them.
Like I said, they could very well be the same person lol. Hoarders are an interesting bunch to deal with and they often have a lot of traits in common with one another so they can be easy to mix up sometimes too (a huge distrust of authority figures is definitely common). They can also be extra hard to deal with because unless you have a warrant to seize their animals anything you "confiscate" has to be surrendered by them, which is like pulling teeth most of the time. I find it funny that you all had a "hoarder whisperer", as we have a few folks like that on our staff (and on PD) who get assigned to pretty much every hoarding case because the hoarders are very willing to work with them. I've tried getting tips from them about how to work with hoarders but honestly I think some people really just have that extra special touch.

I feel like I should have stayed closer to the hospital because this airbnb is not in the best neighborhood. On my way out to the gym, I heard a domestic violence type situation with the girl screaming and crying about the guy hitting her. Then, on the way to the gym, I saw a car hit a guy on the bicycle, pause for 10 seconds, and then take off =/ Maybe I'm just sheltered.

I feel like I should have stayed closer to the hospital because this airbnb is not in the best neighborhood. On my way out to the gym, I heard a domestic violence type situation with the girl screaming and crying about the guy hitting her. Then, on the way to the gym, I saw a car hit a guy on the bicycle, pause for 10 seconds, and then take off =/ Maybe I'm just sheltered.
Did you report either one? Neither of those is acceptable behavior anywhere.

Was the bike guy ok?

Did you report either one? Neither of those is acceptable behavior anywhere.

Was the bike guy ok?
Police showed up as I was dialing 911 for the first thing and then people were already calling 911 for the bike guy. I think he was mostly fine, and just stunned and in shock. His bike looked totally fine too.

Police showed up as I was dialing 911 for the first thing and then people were already calling 911 for the bike guy. I think he was mostly fine, and just stunned and in shock. His bike looked totally fine too.
Good deal!

Just finished watching Over the Garden Wall and it was the perfect thing to watch for a chilly evening in late October. :D

Things I should be doing: studying more for my cell phys exam Monday

Things I am doing: watching 2 Broke Girls and considering going to the store to buy things to make cupcakes

I'd say it's been a successful night :p

Things I should be doing: studying more for my cell phys exam Monday

Things I am doing: watching 2 Broke Girls and considering going to the store to buy things to make cupcakes

I'd say it's been a successful night :p
We are living similar lives right now

Update: I went to the store, cupcakes are in the oven.

I make good life choices.

Reactions: 3 users
You make better life choices. I'm still waiting for cake to bake.

The albino raccoon at the sanctuary is on Animal Planet! I am disappointed in all the comments that think she's an opposum though.....

I was a big procrasta-baker in vet school.
All I did this whole week was procrasta-bake. As a plus I am now very popular with my One Health class and my roommate's friends, as they got to enjoy most of the three dozen pumpkin cupcakes I baked this week instead of studying. As a minus I still had to study. :mad:

The albino raccoon at the sanctuary is on Animal Planet! I am disappointed in all the comments that think she's an opposum though.....
The comments section has been my entertainment for the day.

A vet (edit, actually a vet tech) posted on there warning about taking in raccoons without proper precautions because of roundworm. Someone else commented stating that you were more likely to get rabies than roundworm from a raccoon. Is this correct??? Raccoons aren't rabies carriers in my area so we don't have a ton of concerns about that unless they start showing signs. However I was under the impression that worms were a very real concern, and why there are so many strict biosecurity rules in the rehab centre I'm at

Last edited:
Recipe please? I made a lot of funfetti or blueberry white chocolate chip cookies

2 1/4 cup(s) all purpose flour

3/4 cup(s) brown sugar, packed

1 cup(s) salted butter, softened.

1 cup(s) Cookie Butter

2 large eggs

12 chocolate chips

1 Tsp vanilla extract

1 Tsp baking soda

1/2 Tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Mix flour, salt and baking soda

In another bowl, mix softened butter, cookie butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on medium‑high speed until mixture is creamy and well incorporated.

Add eggs one at a time and beat

Add dry ingredients 1 cup at a time until incorporated

Once all flour has been incorporated, add chocolate chips and beat on low speed to blend them into cookie dough.

On sheet pan lined with parchment paper, scoop out 12 dough balls and bake 8 to 12 minutes or until puffed and set.

I had three jars of cookie butter so I used a whole jar instead of a cup lol. It made them extra fluffy so I used pretty decent size scoops of dough and had enough to bake one dozen and freeze the dough for another almost 2 dozen.

I had three jars of cookie butter so I used a whole jar instead of a cup lol. It made them extra fluffy so I used pretty decent size scoops of dough and had enough to bake one dozen and freeze the dough for another almost 2 dozen.

Might be making these on saturday as I have a spare container of cookie butter.