Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried making oatmeal cookies a few weeks ago and it was a massive fail.

I need one of you baker people as a roommate. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

People do things with cookie butter other than eating it straight from the jar?!?:eek:

Reactions: 1 users
I like how new kids always use photos of themselves as their avatar. It's nearly a given.

Any of y'all ever do that? I think I started with my dog and spiraled into obscurity from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The comments section has been my entertainment for the day.

A vet (edit, actually a vet tech) posted on there warning about taking in raccoons without proper precautions because of roundworm. Someone else commented stating that you were more likely to get rabies than roundworm from a raccoon. Is this correct??? Raccoons aren't rabies carriers in my area so we don't have a ton of concerns about that unless they start showing signs. However I was under the impression that worms were a very real concern, and why there are so many strict biosecurity rules in the rehab centre I'm at
The comments section is annoying the piss out of me. Anyway, I don't know what the stats are for what you're more likely to contract. For us at this particular sanctuary, many of the animals are previous pets and therefore much too tame to survive on their own in the wild. They all go to the vet regularly and are on preventatives, vaxxed, and neutered. I'm sure if any of them had some kind of parasite we could easily contract, the vet would inform us.
I know a couple months ago the coatimundi bit the **** out of my finger. Because I'm UTD on Rabies, and so is she, she did not have to be euthanized, because they're not a local species. But had it been a raccoon or other local Rabies vector, it would have had to be euthanized. This is what I was told by the DNR, which may vary by state?

I like how new kids always use photos of themselves as their avatar. It's nearly a given.

Any of y'all ever do that? I think I started with my dog and spiraled into obscurity from there.

You mean that avatar isn't a picture of you?!? :eek:

My first avatar was Princess Buttercup, because I go in for subtlety like that.

Reactions: 4 users
You mean that avatar isn't a picture of you?!? :eek:

My first avatar was Princess Buttercup, because I go in for subtlety like that.

I would be fairly delighted to be Tim Curry in RHPS days...

I had a Dexter avatar when @StartingoverVet first was on here and he legit thought it was me, so there's that.

I'm also not Bam Margera falling out of a chair, or Jeremy Clarkson making an "o ****" face, or David Duchovny stealing ice cream, or Dr. Horrible, or Jemaine Clement showing off his sugar lumps, or any one of the dozen dogs or cats in my avatars...

Reactions: 1 user

lol, I never use pictures of myself on any forums/sites, except the more "professional" ones like linkedin and facebook. Even then, my FB profile pic is currently of my bunnies because I don't have a pic of myself that's to my liking at the moment.

The pigtato I'm using right now was my first avatar here. :D unless I go looking for WW themed ones, I pretty much just choose something random out of my pictures folder, pfft. It's almost time for a change already...

I would be fairly delighted to be Tim Curry in RHPS days...

I had a Dexter avatar when @StartingoverVet first was on here and he legit thought it was me, so there's that.

I'm also not Bam Margera falling out of a chair, or Jeremy Clarkson making an "o ****" face, or David Duchovny stealing ice cream, or Dr. Horrible, or Jemaine Clement showing off his sugar lumps, or any one of the dozen dogs or cats in my avatars...
pretty sure I told you that in the sanctity of the confessional, or after drinking or something.
This was the first online forum I ever participated in, it was a bit if a learning curve I guess. Didn't really get the whole avatar thing.

I DID eventually watch (and like) Dexter, and no longer think of you as Dexter.

lol, I never use pictures of myself on any forums/sites, except the more "professional" ones like linkedin and facebook. Even then, my FB profile pic is currently of my bunnies because I don't have a pic of myself that's to my liking at the moment.

The pigtato I'm using right now was my first avatar here. :D unless I go looking for WW themed ones, I pretty much just choose something random out of my pictures folder, pfft. It's almost time for a change already...

But I love the pigtato

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really am toothless. I actually can't remember my first avatars. I'm trying to recall which one you had when I joined... I remember so many of them.

I'm pretty sure mine was not originally a sloth, because my SDN time predates my sloth love... but I cannot for the life of me think of any older, non-slothy avatars

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We call that time "pre-sloth-history" and records of it are fuzzy and mostly geological in nature.
I found my post on the avatar change thread... apparently I had something nerdy as an avatar before. Feb 2, 2011:
I'm taking inorganic II and can't stand to look at molarity jokes - so this is the sloth I work with at our museum. He loves his sweet potatoes. :)
(...he is pretty stinking cute!)

cv2aRbo.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Mine has always been the same, I love my kitteh and I'm too lazy to change it.

Reactions: 2 users
What is this cookie butter y'all speak of?

My avatar has never been of me. I find it incredibly weird on a public forum

I admit, I change my avatar way too much. I am fickle and it's almost just like a mood ring for me at this point, ha.

But, yeah, I've never understood why so many of the new members use photos of themselves. It's a public forum, after all. :confused:

What is this cookie butter y'all speak of?

Magic in a bottle. Other stores probably have their own brands of it but I normally get it from Trader Joe's.

It's basically a spreadable paste the consistency of peanut butter, but made up of sugar and crushed up cookies and probably rainbows

Reactions: 3 users
Magic in a bottle. Other stores probably have their own brands of it but I normally get it from Trader Joe's.

It's basically a spreadable paste the consistency of peanut butter, but made up of sugar and crushed up cookies and probably rainbows

It's basically heaven in a jar you can eat with a spoon.

I don't remember what my first avatar was but I've never used a picture of me. I usually go for random wild animals or WW themed ones. I need to find a spooky wildlife one.

I admit, I change my avatar way too much. I am fickle and it's almost just like a mood ring for me at this point, ha.

But, yeah, I've never understood why so many of the new members use photos of themselves. It's a public forum, after all. :confused:
I think maybe there's an option to link to Facebook and if you do that it uses your profile pic? unsure.

I don't remember what my first avatar was but I've never used a picture of me. I usually go for random wild animals or WW themed ones. I need to find a spooky wildlife one.

I think maybe there's an option to link to Facebook and if you do that it uses your profile pic? unsure.
This is a truth fact, I was silly enough to do this off the bat back when I joined

They do have their own brands. Not nearly as good as the Trade Joe's version. Granted, I got the Giant brand and not actually the Biscoff which I'm sure actually tastes like the real biscuits which were basically crack. I would always grab a handful from this coffee cart on the way to class in England.

50% off Halloween crap at World Market

I bought a string of dog skeleton lights. The justification is, "Maybe I can use it for vet school related things in the future like if I do radiology club or something."

I didn't get trick-or-treaters last year and I don't know if I'll get any tonight, but I bought candy just in case. Mostly, I just want to finish my "fall" pumpkins (I'm painting them with generic fall season colors so they last through Thanksgiving) and dress my rabbits up in their costumes for pictures. I even found rabbit sized plastic jack-0-lanterns that I can stuff with some timothy hay and yogurt treats.

50% off Halloween crap at World Market

I bought a string of dog skeleton lights. The justification is, "Maybe I can use it for vet school related things in the future like if I do radiology club or something."

I didn't get trick-or-treaters last year and I don't know if I'll get any tonight, but I bought candy just in case. Mostly, I just want to finish my "fall" pumpkins (I'm painting them with generic fall season colors so they last through Thanksgiving) and dress my rabbits up in their costumes for pictures. I even found rabbit sized plastic jack-0-lanterns that I can stuff with some timothy hay and yogurt treats.
oh my goooooddddd I need to stop by World Market on the way home those are amazingly ridiculous.

That feeling when your boss (who has been in practice almost as long as you've been alive) looks at your patient and says, "Wow I've never seen anything like that."

Oh. Goody. Oh well at least I might have something interesting to write up if I ever go for DABVP certification...

No kids trick or treating = more candy for me.

Unrelated: Needs to be an end to Christmas themed advertisements until at least November 25th

I'm so excited for November! It means that we're near the holiday season and almost to finals . . . but mostly it's the month of a fictional horse race from one of my favorite books and November 1st makes me all kinds of happy because I'm weird like that.

(If you haven't read The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, you should. It's good.)

I'm so excited for November! It means that we're near the holiday season and almost to finals . . . but mostly it's the month of a fictional horse race from one of my favorite books and November 1st makes me all kinds of happy because I'm weird like that.

(If you haven't read The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, you should. It's good.)
That's been on my reading list forever. Re-reading Shiver lately too

It is 33 degrees in Boston right now... I'd enjoy it more if I'd packed appropriately. Instead, I've been living out of suitcase for 4 months and have a bunch of tank tops and shorts.

That feeling when your boss (who has been in practice almost as long as you've been alive) looks at your patient and says, "Wow I've never seen anything like that."

Oh. Goody. Oh well at least I might have something interesting to write up if I ever go for DABVP certification...

My boss man graduated vet school the year I was born.

If he is stumped, then I at least don't feel bad for being confused about how to proceed.

My mom is the best. She asked me to start making a Christmas list. And then said she needed one from the cats too. And the bunny. She didn't want to forget her furry grand kids :D

Reactions: 5 users
My mom is the best. She asked me to start making a Christmas list. And then said she needed one from the cats too. And the bunny. She didn't want to forget her furry grand kids :D
Ooh--my grandma always asks me and my siblings for Christmas lists, for which I never have much in mind. Maybe I should direct her to her great-granddog :p

Ooh--my grandma always asks me and my siblings for Christmas lists, for which I never have much in mind. Maybe I should direct her to her great-granddog :p
She can't forget her great-grand dog!

It's a thing in my family. I also gets presents addressed to "Mom" from my pets :p my mom is as crazy as I am. It's great.

Ever since I was a little kid my mom would always get me birthday and holiday cards/presents from my cats and dogs. They (of course) also got presents themselves for just about every occasion. I send her birthday cards from my cat sometimes, too.

Reactions: 3 users
I try to call my mom the 'kitty grandma' and she hates it. She wants human grandbabies, and she won't accept my furry ones as substitutes. :rolleyes:

I try to call my mom the 'kitty grandma' and she hates it. She wants human grandbabies, and she won't accept my furry ones as substitutes. :rolleyes:

Ha, my mom really wants human ones too, but knows there is no way in hell that is happening anytime in the next 5+ years, so she settles for now :p