Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it sad that I am at the point where if someone tossed me a dead dog and sped away my initial thought would be "at least I don't have to write a patient record for this.":rofl::rofl::rofl:
On super crazy days I 100% kind of appreciate euthanasia appts because they require very minimal thinking power, just some emotional bandwidth.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could always convert like I did. :shrug:
I'm actually really enjoying my switch to the dark side of ER! Just sometimes the brain is happy to take a minute in the comfort room where it doesn't have to do drug calculations and labwork processing for a few haha.

I actually just had lunch and a hike with a friend of mine who took a full time IHE position, is starting shortly and super excited for it.

Last edited:
On super crazy days I 100% kind of appreciate euthanasia appts because they require very minimal thinking power, just some emotional bandwidth.
So true. If I’m knee deep and falling behind, and my next one is a straightforward euthanasia, it’s like “YEAHHHH!!! I can do a good job with that AND quickly.” As opposed to the forever emergent workups and the critical cases that bring everything to a grinding halt for an undetermined period of time. Which often drags on and then ends up a euthanasia anyway…

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
An ER client today showing us a new way of handling long ER wait times on a super hot day.

The legend was sitting in the parking lot toasting a sandwich on our metal recycling bin. Flipping it and everything, all while shirtless and in shades. 😂

Love the clients that give me a source of entertainment.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
An ER client today showing us a new way of handling long ER wait times on a super hot day.

The legend was sitting in the parking lot toasting a sandwich on our metal recycling bin. Flipping it and everything, all while shirtless and in shades. 😂

Love the clients that give me a source of entertainment.
Please tell me yall conveyed your appreciation of his coping mechanism

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Where is the discussion of sandwich vs soup vs salad? My roommate has some (what I perceive as) hot takes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to rip a hot dog in half length wise, it's definitely a sandwich. Therefore, if you rip a taco in half lengthwise, it becomes a salad with croutons.

• Hmm
  • Angry
I was telling my parents that I am trying to plan a trip to Costa Rica, and my mom mistakenly called Costa Rica an island. I said it wasn't, it is just north of Panama. And then she said something about being on the strip of land between North and South America. And then I said that I thought there was a word for it, not peninsula but maybe isthmus

And it turns out isthmus, the word that I maybe learned once during junior high, is correct. So I can randomly pull isthmus out of my *** but not something that I use way more regularly, like atropine (which I blanked on earlier this summer)

I was telling my parents that I am trying to plan a trip to Costa Rica, and my mom mistakenly called Costa Rica an island. I said it wasn't, it is just north of Panama. And then she said something about being on the strip of land between North and South America. And then I said that I thought there was a word for it, not peninsula but maybe isthmus

And it turns out isthmus, the word that I maybe learned once during junior high, is correct. So I can randomly pull isthmus out of my *** but not something that I use way more regularly, like atropine (which I blanked on earlier this summer)
Don't uterine horns have an isthmus?

• Wow
EA788686-959A-4C71-B29E-8BDA1A2618A3.png
There feels like there’s an isthmus everywhere. There’s an isthmus in the thyroid as well I think. Which is fine especially when it’s a really fun word to say.

• Love
I recently had an intern with me at our spay neuter clinic who was on her like, fourth spay ever and goes "ahhhh do you ever have it tear when you clamp the proper ligament??"

Me, five years out, had to let my brain turn over at least twice to remember which tf *was* the proper ligament and inform her I haven't purposefully put a clamp on that since surgery class, so, no... :laugh: (she did great it was a tiny tear)

• Haha
Not really a rant, not sure the right thread to put this in so I figured I’d throw it here

had a euthanasia today, super sweet 15 year old Labrador. My nurse and I both cried in front of the owner. Don’t know why this one hit me so hard, but it’s part of the job. Give your dogs extra love tonight 💚

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Not really a rant, not sure the right thread to put this in so I figured I’d throw it here

had a euthanasia today, super sweet 15 year old Labrador. My nurse and I both cried in front of the owner. Don’t know why this one hit me so hard, but it’s part of the job. Give your dogs extra love tonight 💚
We had to euth a 3 year old cat who was very sweet and healthy aside from a foreign body on my last day of work (yesterday).

For some reason owner wasn't interested in surrendering but seemed to have no regard for him :(

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Wolf wins will skyrocket if they go through with this!

• Haha
Someone has asked if they should apply to "Vet School or Med School?" (but they're not supposed to post the same thing twice on SDN).

Do you have any words of wisdom for them?

If yes, please look at this post:

Last edited:
Occasionally checking my spam folder to make sure I haven't missed anything and I have to wonder... do job recruiters realize that emailing me on a weekly basis about "opportunities" I never asked about is not appealing?

I'm very happy at my job, but even back when I was actively searching that volume of contacting me makes me want to run the other way.

So we got our apprasial report back today. I have to laugh though, the lending agency had a revision request regarding comp #1 because it was over a mile away from our home. The appraiser's response was basically there are no houses what do you want me to do about it:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(a total of 60 homes have sold in the whole county in the last 12 months, meaning even less have sold in the specific town I am going to. Due to the small market size no "neighborhoods" are used and the whole town market data is used)

• Haha
Occasionally checking my spam folder to make sure I haven't missed anything and I have to wonder... do job recruiters realize that emailing me on a weekly basis about "opportunities" I never asked about is not appealing?

I'm very happy at my job, but even back when I was actively searching that volume of contacting me makes me want to run the other way.
The number of linkedin requests and emails I get.... just no. I have a job thank you very much and for the 50000th time no I am not interested in your small animal GP in the middle of a metropolis. (Nothing wrong with it, just not the life style for me and my profiles very obviously sate such but I still get the emails and messages).

I got a personalized text from banfield the other day about a 4th year mixer and I about threw my phone out the window. No idea how they got my personal number but I was very annoyed.

Last edited:
  • Care

The number of linkedin requests and emails I get.... just no. I have a job thank you very much and for the 50000th time no I am not interested in your small animal GP in the middle of a metropolis. (Nothing wrong with it, just not the life style for me and my profiles very obviously sate such but I still get the emails and messages).

I got a personalized text from banfield the other day about a 4th year mixer and I about threw my phone out the window. No idea how they got my personal number but I was very annoyed.
A recruiter messaged me on Facebook about a job. I told her that veterinary medicine work belongs exclusively at work and to not message me on social media again. I use my married name on social media and practice using my maiden name. WHY ARE YOU STALKING ME ON FACEBOOK?!?!?!

• Wow
A recruiter messaged me on Facebook about a job. I told her that veterinary medicine work belongs exclusively at work and to not message me on social media again. I use my married name on social media and practice using my maiden name. WHY ARE YOU STALKING ME ON FACEBOOK?!?!?!
I got messaged about Banfields jobs by a recruiter on Reddit a couple years ago.

I mean, I had to give kudos for really not leaving any stone unturned there. But please let me just occasionally answer vet questions in peace, thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Like, one of the biggest complaints for the profession is the lacking boundaries. And then we have people violating (what I think should be) common sense boundaries. -_-

Reactions: 3 users
I got messaged about Banfields jobs by a recruiter on Reddit a couple years ago.

I mean, I had to give kudos for really not leaving any stone unturned there. But please let me just occasionally answer vet questions in peace, thanks.
I mean your advice must have been good lol

• Haha
I get emails, text messages, voice mails from recruiters. I just ignore them. If they're persistent then I'll respond and usually when I do I remind them to address us professionally as doctors.

I don't understand how these recruiters have jobs, I've never used and would never use a recruiter to find a job. I want to hear from the employer directly, not a middleman.

I get emails, text messages, voice mails from recruiters. I just ignore them. If they're persistent then I'll respond and usually when I do I remind them to address us professionally as doctors.

I don't understand how these recruiters have jobs, I've never used and would never use a recruiter to find a job. I want to hear from the employer directly, not a middleman.
I spoke with a recruiter once when I was looking (obviously a long time ago). My thought was that they may have leads that are not being listed publicly or may know of more specifics of places than a 50 word ad space can share. She was professional and didn’t harass me at all, but that was when the market was not nearly so hot. I just ignore any random texts I get now.

I still get so many emails for jobs out of state even though I've specifically stated that I cannot leave my current city. It's so annoying.

• Care
Guys my "senioritis" (in quotes because I graduated vet school in 2017 and my residency in 2020) is so strong right now. I'm supposed to be in the final stretches of hardcore studying for boards but I just. Cannot. Focus.

I find myself finally closing SDN only to open a new tab and think, oo I should check SDN! (or FB or Reddit or...). Rinse and repeat. Anything to not study.

I'm even following the 800 gazillion page long WW game going on right now despite not having played in ages just because anything to not study.

HALP someone upload everything about everything boards-related into my brain please and thank you

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Guys my "senioritis" (in quotes because I graduated vet school in 2017 and my residency in 2020) is so strong right now. I'm supposed to be in the final stretches of hardcore studying for boards but I just. Cannot. Focus.

I find myself finally closing SDN only to open a new tab and think, oo I should check SDN! (or FB or Reddit or...). Rinse and repeat. Anything to not study.

I'm even following the 800 gazillion page long WW game going on right now despite not having played in ages just because anything to not study.

HALP someone upload everything about everything boards-related into my brain please and thank you
Do you want in on tot chat?

(I'm not being helpful for your productivity lol)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you want in on tot chat?

(I'm not being helpful for your productivity lol)
um maybe?? (yes)

I just went and reread half the 2017 Renewwed thread that someone had linked an MJ quote from in the current WW game... 😭 I'm going to need to turn off my internet or something to stop the madness

• Care
Tried a dog ramp for our fat, bilateral FHO Golden I inherited from my aunt in July 2020. Ramp's purpose is for her to get into and out of my 2006 Ford Escape back hatch (for height knowledge). No dice. Ramp was too narrow for how she walks/balances, and she doesn't have the physical umph to get up the incline. I was excited to be able to give her a way into the car since I can't lift her. But it's a no go for right now.

Looks like I just have to get buff working out after the baby is born so I can lift her into the car 🤣 And obviously keep working on weight loss. Bit she's stagnated at about 82lbs (vs 87 when she came home) while at 80% calories for trying to reach 75lb.

• Care