Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tried a dog ramp for our fat, bilateral FHO Golden I inherited from my aunt in July 2020. Ramp's purpose is for her to get into and out of my 2006 Ford Escape back hatch (for height knowledge). No dice. Ramp was too narrow for how she walks/balances, and she doesn't have the physical umph to get up the incline. I was excited to be able to give her a way into the car since I can't lift her. But it's a no go for right now.

Looks like I just have to get buff working out after the baby is born so I can lift her into the car 🤣 And obviously keep working on weight loss. Bit she's stagnated at about 82lbs (vs 87 when she came home) while at 80% calories for trying to reach 75lb.
Can she jump at least a little? I’ve been looking into getting a Twistep for my SUV…it’s a step that looks kinda like home plate that goes in your car’s tow hitch (if you have one) and it swivels. So when you’re driving it folds around under the bumper then when you need it it just swings out for the dog to use as a landing pad/step. They’re expensive which is why I haven’t bought one yet but everyone says they’re worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

Can she jump at least a little? I’ve been looking into getting a Twistep for my SUV…it’s a step that looks kinda like home plate that goes in your car’s tow hitch (if you have one) and it swivels. So when you’re driving it folds around under the bumper then when you need it it just swings out for the dog to use as a landing pad/step. They’re expensive which is why I haven’t bought one yet but everyone says they’re worth it.
She cannot unfortunately. She bunny hops to go up stairs or to run (though she has started to try to use one hindlimb per step; probably a 20% occurrence rate). She and I have endurance and strength goals for after the baby is born. So maybe a possibility in the future? Otherwise need to be able to deadlift 82lbs.

Tried a dog ramp for our fat, bilateral FHO Golden I inherited from my aunt in July 2020. Ramp's purpose is for her to get into and out of my 2006 Ford Escape back hatch (for height knowledge). No dice. Ramp was too narrow for how she walks/balances, and she doesn't have the physical umph to get up the incline. I was excited to be able to give her a way into the car since I can't lift her. But it's a no go for right now.

Looks like I just have to get buff working out after the baby is born so I can lift her into the car 🤣 And obviously keep working on weight loss. Bit she's stagnated at about 82lbs (vs 87 when she came home) while at 80% calories for trying to reach 75lb.

Do they have extra long and extra wide ones that would have a flatter incline?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they have extra long and extra wide ones that would have a flatter incline?
They might!! We are also thinking of maybe trying collapsible stairs since she is used to stairs now.

Reactions: 1 user
She cannot unfortunately. She bunny hops to go up stairs or to run (though she has started to try to use one hindlimb per step; probably a 20% occurrence rate). She and I have endurance and strength goals for after the baby is born. So maybe a possibility in the future? Otherwise need to be able to deadlift 82lbs.
I used to lift my old lab in stages: get the front paws up with him standing, then just give him a boost from the back legs. Somehow it’s easier than trying to lift the whole dog at once, probably because he would pull with his front legs once I got the back end started.

Reactions: 1 users
Had a dream last night that I was treating a cat with a suspected foreign body that turned out to be a live (and suspiciously unharmed and clean) rabbit lodged in an anatomically incorrect cecum. And then kittens kept showing up my house/surgical suite and I was trying to contain them in a plastic tub but they kept escaping. Trying to keep track of all the kittens made me lose the rabbit.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
Wtf moments from today...lady called who had an appt she scheduled and then cancelled called wanting to know when her apt was because she was going to sue us for not coming to an apt she cancelled....

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Friendly reminder to thaw your turkeys 😂

1668896436091-png.362269

Attachments

• 1668896436091.png
    1668896436091.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 483
Reactions: 4 users
How many of you have professional headshots?
My school takes professional white coat headshots when you start 1st year, so I have that and use it for my LinkedIn.
My internship institution uses a pixellated cell phone picture they took as my faculty/staff website photo. I wouldn't really count that one as a professional headshot. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t have any (I didn’t buy any vet school ones) but am thinking it would be worthy having. One of our local chapters did free headshots at a conference last year but I didn’t get to go - wondering if I should hope they have them again this year (fall) or spring for some paid ones. I found a photographer who does an amazing job but it’s obviously pricey.

When you get asked out by a client in the middle of explaining treatment...😅
How smooth are we talking here?

Mixie: what questions do you have so far?
Client: wow these meds are complicated, maybe you could help me get a better handle on twice a day dosing... tonight? Say 7pm at [insert fancy restaurant here]

OR

Mixie: massage this duoxo mousse into the affected area 3 times wee...
Client [word vomit]: Do you want to like, ah, go out sometime? Like, ah, a date?
Mixie: wat

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
How smooth are we talking here?

Client: wow these meds are complicated, maybe you could help me get a better handle on twice a day dosing... tonight? Say 7pm at [insert fancy restaurant here]

OR

Mixie: massage this duoxo mousse into the affected area 3 times wee...
Client [word vomit]: Do you want to like, ah, go out sometime? Like, ah, a date?
Mixie: wat
Lol more so number 2. 😅Only to be followed with sorry I'm married and proceed to get even more akward because I don't wear a ring to work because cows. Poor soul. Nice guy but defs not my type even if I wasn't married.

• Haha
Damn Paws, that's smooth af

• Haha
Hi everyone! I can't find much information online, but I was wondering what the intel is on live animals as part of the curriculum. Are vivisections still a thing? I want to pick a school that aligns with my morals, but the internet is making it hard for me to figure it out. I appreciate any and all input on the subject! Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I can't find much information online, but I was wondering what the intel is on live animals as part of the curriculum. Are vivisections still a thing? I want to pick a school that aligns with my morals, but the internet is making it hard for me to figure it out. I appreciate any and all input on the subject! Thanks in advance!

You can also contact the schools and ask

Thank you so much!!!

Is anyone else a stress eater and has gained liked 15 lbs during the application cycle lmao???

• Care
UIUC opens back up in like 3 days and I may finally have some movement on my Veterinary Assistant application.

I got preinterview questions before they closed for the holidays, so I'm hopeful. I simply want to be a helpful masters student, help with research, and continue my quest to worm my way into the hearts of professors and doctors.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Did anyone see the federal govt is looking at passing a ban on non compete clauses (different from a previous push for an executive order from Biden)? Not sure how this would affect vet med because I’m sure the ban would include some kind of clause that protects certain businesses.

Did anyone see the federal govt is looking at passing a ban on non compete clauses (different from a previous push for an executive order from Biden)? Not sure how this would affect vet med because I’m sure the ban would include some kind of clause that protects certain businesses.
Heard about it through vet med mom Facebook pages. Its hard to say that vet med would be excluded. Colorado last year tried to change their laws to disallow non compete clauses and vet med was not accepted

The public comment period is open on this btw. If you have an opinion on non-competes now is the time to say something. This would most likely be a broad ban on non-competes as the current head of the NLRB is very against them.

Since I am not a veterinarian (yet, *fingers crossed*), and have no real experience with non-competes, I have a question:

Wouldn't dissolving non-competes be good for us as veterinarians unless we are practice owners? As in, it would make our options less-limited if we chose to leave a practice. Maybe I'm just not looking at the full scope which is why my opinion is so narrow.

Since I am not a veterinarian (yet, *fingers crossed*), and have no real experience with non-competes, I have a question:

Wouldn't dissolving non-competes be good for us as veterinarians unless we are practice owners? As in, it would make our options less-limited if we chose to leave a practice. Maybe I'm just not looking at the full scope which is why my opinion is so narrow.
Without writing like 5 paragraphs on them, banning non-competes would be good for workers of all types. They really only exist to help keep workers in lower paying jobs out of fear of high legal bills if they try to leave. They're already essentially unenforceable in California.

A few weeks ago, I impulse bought an egg chair from Target (it was 50% off). They only had the pink cushioned one left which isn‘t really my color, so I found an Etsy shop that makes covers for this particular chair. They had some in real leather and I’m a sucker for a nice camel-tone. Spent more on the covers than the actual chair, but I love it.

It’s hard not to feel extra AF sitting in a wicker bird nest surrounded by leather.

Reactions: 2 users
Need advice:

Already accepted to vet school.
I can skip my last exam in biostats and still get a B- in the course lol. I haven’t done any of the material yet so it’s not like I have wasted time studying to just not take it.

What should I do?

Need advice:

I can skip my last exam in biostats and still get a B- in the course lol. I haven’t done any of the material yet so it’s not like I have wasted time studying to just not take it.

What should I do?
YOLO it tbh
by which I mean I wouldn't bother unless you want to

Need advice:

What should I do?
personally, I'd take it, just not try particularly hard

Need advice:

What should I do?
What's the score you'd need for the A? If it were attainable with some effort, then that's what I'd do. If it would be a hassel, I wouldn't bother lol

What's the score you'd need for the A? If it were attainable with some effort, then that's what I'd do. If it would be a hassel, I wouldn't bother lol
Meh. It’s a take home exam, so it would probably take me like 3 ish hours of effort

But attainable.

But also I’m just like, why do I need an A now lol