Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Need advice:

Already accepted to vet school.
I can skip my last exam in biostats and still get a B- in the course lol. I haven’t done any of the material yet so it’s not like I have wasted time studying to just not take it.

What should I do?
I can honestly say I would just skip it and chill lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Need advice:

Already accepted to vet school.
I can skip my last exam in biostats and still get a B- in the course lol. I haven’t done any of the material yet so it’s not like I have wasted time studying to just not take it.

What should I do?
Is there any undergrad award/notation you miss out on for the slight gpa hit? If you care that is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ran into these little guys today. They tried to approach my dogs (who very much wanted to eat them.)
Today I learned armadillos are invasive to Florida, always have 4 identical quadruplets, can jump up to 4 feet when scared, and are the only mammal besides humans that carry leprosy.

Attachments

• 6DFD9552-9A93-48AB-9C36-7FCA195513C8.jpeg
    6DFD9552-9A93-48AB-9C36-7FCA195513C8.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Wait til you see my tag 🥹
see what you do is you put your DVM class year in your undertitle until you leave, and then you just magically change it to something having nothing to do with vet school at all, and then people forget you've been in school for 7 years

Think GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Not necessarily jaded but just one of those days of people being so needy. Like aside from bills and needing $ to live how do people willingly get up and go to work everyday. Like don't get me wrong I like my job and my colleagues but the sheer interaction with a wide variety of the public is just exhausting and I would like to just win the powerball and travel the world😎 and maybe come to work but only in an observatory capacity to the chaos😅

• Care
maybe come to work but only in an observatory capacity to the chaos😅
There's a new senior dog rescue in north Denver looking for a vet; public interaction only 2 or 3 days a week!

There's a new senior dog rescue in north Denver looking for a vet; public interaction only 2 or 3 days a week!
Haha I appreciate the info! but I don't think I could ever live in a big city for my sanity and my SOs sake. He's a police officer so we really don't want to live in metropolis like areas

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I appreciate the info! but I don't think I could ever live in a big city for my sanity and my SOs sake. He's a police officer so we really don't want to live in metropolis like areas
Don't blame you. I regularly joke that my husband and I could move up to rapid city at any time and I wouldn't complain 🤣

Where are you hiding from tornadoes at anyway. I clearly just... don't pay attention. I'm a skimmer. I used to be all in but now I'm a damned skimmer. Anyway, I ask from tornadoland, which has been much less tornado flavored these last many years.

Where are you hiding from tornadoes at anyway. I clearly just... don't pay attention. I'm a skimmer. I used to be all in but now I'm a damned skimmer. Anyway, I ask from tornadoland, which has been much less tornado flavored these last many years.
CO KS border. Our county gets an average of 3/year. Not super hotbed tornado place like AR or MS but still tornadoes. Was literally ranked last for area I wanted to live in when i was job hunting for this reason yet here I am 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You KNOW I'd lose my ****ING MIND during a tornado omg

When I finally come visit I'll cry if we get one

YES. I FINALLY FOUND A PICTURE OF THAT THING MY CATS DO WITH SLIGHTLY CRACKED DOORS IN THIS HOUSE.

I just needed to share. They like to play slap each other. The fact that they are biological brothers (littermates adopted as a bonded pair at the shelter's insistence) makes it funnier.

1682893891034.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey there! I'm a current 4th year vet student (and admissions representative) and I am offering essay editing services for $20 per application (slightly more if you have supplemental essays you would like me to review). I remember how stressful it was to go through the application process and how long it took to write all of those essays. I'm here to give you advice from everything from grammar to the actual content of your essays. Let me know if I can help you with your essays, and good luck this application cycle!
Just so you know, this may be against TOS as we offer an essay review thread with volunteers yearly. A mod would have to weigh in to be sure though.

I don’t really keep up with horse racing as much as I would actually like to.

Anyone who’s more informed than I, is 7 horses absurd to have died at CHD in the past 10 days not an absolutely absurd amount?

I remember last year there were like 17 deaths on California tracks from suspected heart attacks and I was shook about that.

Anyone have any opinion or speculation….

Anyone who’s more informed than I, is 7 horses absurd to have died at CHD in the past 10 days not an absolutely absurd amount?

I remember last year there were like 17 deaths on California tracks from suspected heart attacks and I was shook about that.

The two from the same trainer is interesting to me. I do think part of this could be a lack of regulatory vets. I'd expect there are extra staff for the Derby, but it's also possible that some of these events could have been caught earlier with proper staffing at other tracks.

The two from the same trainer is interesting to me. I do think part of this could be a lack of regulatory vets. I'd expect there are extra staff for the Derby, but it's also possible that some of these events could have been caught earlier with proper staffing at other tracks.
I know there were the 2 collapses by that trainr… but with the missteps/ falls do you think it’s all coincidental? I just wonder if the track is potentially the issue

I know there were the 2 collapses by that trainr… but with the missteps/ falls do you think it’s all coincidental? I just wonder if the track is potentially the issue
I'm just kinda thinking if there were idk, minor musculoskeletal injuries on one of the falls maybe it could have been caught with less stressed vets. It doesnt take all that much when they're at a full gallop for something minor to become bigger. It's obviously a guess on my part, but what I've heard from the person in my cohort who Techs at a track there isn't enough staff to do much besides drugs.

I did also read one was in a paddock when that episode occurred so at least one wasn't track related. 7 in my opinion seems way high for a coincidence overall though.

Preliminary testing is all negative. I sincerely hope there’s no drug issues this year, because of KHRC cracking down with Baffert and such. I’m not convinced it was drugs since testing so far is negative. CHD is conducting extensive investigation this week to determine if the track was at fault. I mean dirt tracks do contribute significantly (they’re second to synthetic tracks) to break downs and most of the issues were injury related. Vet scratches are becoming more rare with them stretched so thin.

But there was a recent outbreak of EHV in Maine, so maybe there’s something going around because several horses scratched from the derby due to elevated fevers.

• Care
20230108_192817.jpg
JPEG_20200318_055436.png

She was brought up in the ranting thread. But she's ****in cute so I needed to show her off. My pocket chow born without eyes!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
SHE IS SO CUTE I CAN'T EVEN STAND IT, @Abnerrs :biglove:

About how big is she?

I never realized she didn't have eyes. I thought they were just hiding under the fluff.

SHE IS SO CUTE I CAN'T EVEN STAND IT, @Abnerrs :biglove:

About how big is she?

I never realized she didn't have eyes. I thought they were just hiding under the fluff.
She's about 28lbs. She's dinky.

She's got weird anatomy all around. No eyes (I sealed the lids at her spay). She's got a neuropathy on the left side of her face so no palpebral and the nose veers right and her left ear sits a little too far caudally. She also drools out that side of her mouth.

She also did not have a left uterine horn and her left kidney is far caudal.

My little lemon. I love her so much. She's the only dog we have that plays fetch.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Guys I have to get my rabies vaccine tomorrow.
I’m scared :( is it bad?

• Care
Everyone reacts differently but I had no side effects at all except arm pain after. I didn’t think it hurt too bad getting it either.

Rabies was fine for me. I had a little arm pain when lifting my arm for a day or two, which was worse but still not terrible on the second and third rounds, but that was it. Most painful part was paying, lol.

My first one I didn’t feel too bad with. My second one I felt very nauseous for the rest of the day and didn’t eat but then was fine the next day. Probably would’ve benefitted from some ondansetron (which I also loved for covid vaccines 2-4). The third one was just like the first and I felt pretty fine. A little sore with all 3 but not terrible. I’ve heard from friends that the second one was their worst too. I always get vaccines in my dominant arm because then I’m forced to baby it less and use it and move the muscle and so it hurts less than any I’ve gotten in my non dominant arm.

Reactions: 1 users
Most painful part was paying, lol.
I still have no idea what voodoo magic Walgreens did but somehow my insurance actually COVERED the pre-exposure vaccines fully and Walgreens didn’t bill them out as post or anything. Ngl I’m still halfway expecting my old insurance to contact me 5 years later and tell me I owe them for the series.

I still have no idea what voodoo magic Walgreens did but somehow my insurance actually COVERED the pre-exposure vaccines fully and Walgreens didn’t bill them out as post or anything. Ngl I’m still halfway expecting my old insurance to contact me 5 years later and tell me I owe them for the series.
The school actually paid for half of mine back in the day. But it was still expensive.

Actually the worst part may have been that they took us as a group during like our first week of school or maybe orientation and took back like ten students at a time into a big room. Then they went around the circle and asked every female student in the group the date of their last period in front of everyone else. And that shouldn’t be embarrassing because it’s natural and whatnot but it was still awkward enough that that’s mostly what I remember about getting mine fourteen years ago.

• Wow
I think Medicaid is covering the cost lol. I just had such a bad reaction (not reaction but got sick with an ocular migraine and fever) to the covid vaccine, I am scared of getting sick after.

• Care
Rabies was fine for me. I had a little arm pain when lifting my arm for a day or two, which was worse but still not terrible on the second and third rounds, but that was it. Most painful part was paying, lol.
I'm getting the department to cover mine once I schedule it at the University clinic lol.

I think Medicaid is covering the cost lol. I just had such a bad reaction (not reaction but got sick with an ocular migraine and fever) to the covid vaccine, I am scared of getting sick after.
I got violently Ill from my third Covid vaccine (for one single night??) but not the Rabies vaccine!

The school actually paid for half of mine back in the day. But it was still expensive.

Actually the worst part may have been that they took us as a group during like our first week of school or maybe orientation and took back like ten students at a time into a big room. Then they went around the circle and asked every female student in the group the date of their last period in front of everyone else. And that shouldn’t be embarrassing because it’s natural and whatnot but it was still awkward enough that that’s mostly what I remember about getting mine fourteen years ago.
So much HIPAA violations.

Reactions: 6 users
My rabies vaccine wasn't too bad. The first one I went home, laid on the tiny couch in my flat, fell asleep (I don't normally nap easily), woke up a few hours later and didn't notice any pain, soreness, etc. Apparently it just made me take a nap. The boosters I didn't notice anything.

Covid vaccines were definitely worse. Heck, tetnaus is worse for me.

Everyone is different though, I have heard everything from no side effects at all to people having all the side effects.

My arm was mildly achy after full set of rabies doses, but that was all.

Some people report feeling worse; some people report feeling less worse.

Rabies for me was different than no other vaccine; after the first one my arm was pretty sore (but I also got tetanus at the same time). Maybe had some mild fatigue/muscle soreness after one of them. Not nearly as bad as what I had heard people say. :)

Agree that Walgreens had voodoo magic and it was fully covered.

I was working at a shelter before vet school and insisted they get me rabies vaccinated due to the sheer amount of unvaccinated animals I was handling 🤠

I had good luck with a heating pad on that arm when my arm was sore after my COVID and Tdap shots, @flotus. Tylenol too, of course. Just a suggestion if helpful. :)

You are going to do great. Keep us posted!

• Care
Update on rabies vax: I didn’t even feel the shot. The most painless shot I’ve ever had. It was great!

So far, no pain or symptoms AT ALL! Maybe just a little tired. I don’t even have arm soreness :O

I worry too much lol

Thank you all <3

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
hey guys! i just got accepted off the waitlist for western and im super excited! my question is that i have one class left in finishing up right now that is my last pre req for western. They say they want a C or higher. it’s fine if i just finish with a C, right? I know that’s the minimum but i’m just so paranoid that it looks bad hahaha

hey guys! i just got accepted off the waitlist for western and im super excited! my question is that i have one class left in finishing up right now that is my last pre req for western. They say they want a C or higher. it’s fine if i just finish with a C, right? I know that’s the minimum but i’m just so paranoid that it looks bad hahaha
Nobody will care. Hit the minimum and it's totally fine. Some admin persin will bmjust be checking off that you did it. (Just be careful not to get less than the minimum!)