Rank your In-State Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kentucky:
1. U of L
2. U of K
3. KYCOM (DO)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Florida Resident
1.UM
2.USF
3.FIU
4.UCF
5.FSU
6.UF
7.FAU
8.Nova
9.LECOM

...What? This list is terrible. I'm a Florida resident myself who has interviewed at or been offered an interview to most of the Florida schools and I don't think anyone, even the adcoms of the schools themselves, would believe this.

In my opinion:

1. UF
1-2. UM
3. UCF
4. USF
5. FAU
6. FSU
7. FIU

Personally, I declined to interview at UMiami because I already held acceptances from other state schools when I received the offer, and I didn't think that UM offered a significant advantage over UF even if costs were equal (which they are not). UM was very honest in their interview offer and asked to seriously think about if I was willing to attend before accepting the interview.

I ranked UF equal to if not better than Miami for a couple of reasons. First, traveling to and from campus is either expensive and fast, or slower and cheaper. Second is a bit of hearsay, so people will take this at varying levels of importance, but from what I've heard on the interview trail from students and other admissions committees is that a good amount of UM's faculty have been poached over the years by the opening of new medical schools. For example, FAU (and the Scripps Institute) actually used to be a "subsidiary" type school from UM. For some time, the medical school at FAU granted degrees from UM. When FAU became it's own autonomous medical school, it took the Scripps Institute with it, along with many faculty and a good amount of funding. FIU opened a medical school within Miami, and also poached a good amount of the UM faculty.

I think that UM is still regarded by outsiders in the same light as it was within the last ten years, but I don't think this is really true. The opening of the FIU and FAU medical schools have been very recent (2009 and 2011, respectively I think) have affected UM almost exclusively, and I think that these effects have started to show fairly recently. Losing Scripps to FAU was a particularly crushing blow, especially so to the UM MD/PhD program.

UM still has a number of strengths over UF because of location (Miami, while expensive, is still awesome), patient diversity, and some specialties tertiary/quaternary care, namely the Bascom-Palmer Eye Institute for Ophthalmology. UF on the other hand is stronger in most other tertiary/quaternary systems and is a huge referral center for almost all of North Florida and South Georgia. Since UF offers a big proportion of clinical rotations through the Shands in Jacksonville, there isn't much difference in diversity of patient populations. UF grants exposure to tertiary/quaternary care and rural, family clinics to high-volume high-impact urban settings in Jacksonville. UF is building a new cardio- and neurovascular exclusive hospital, and has Wolfson's Children's Hospital in Jacksonville (huge referral center for FL) as well. UF also just opened the dopest new medical school building I've ever stepped foot in. So UF ties UM in most (but not all) categories. Also, having a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville takes some of the specialty care advantage away from UF, but the Mayo Campus does little in the way of taking care of the Urban patients because it's way out in the suburbs and caters mostly to the wealthy. I'll be matriculating at UF, so I admit I'm a little biased :p.

I ranked UCF pretty highly because they are growing fast, and in the next few years they'll be directly competing with UF and UM. UCF is getting a massive proportion of state funding, and is aiming to be in it's own little "healthcare city" and has the funds and faculty to do so. But, they still have the disadvantages associated with being a new school when it comes to residency matching. I have a pending interview here but those are just my first impressions.

USF I wasn't offered to interview at, so I don't know much about it other than it is an established mid-low tier medical school. Tampa is a pretty great place to get a medical education.

FAU is a strong new competitor, and having the Scripps Institute automatically gives it a strong background in research for medical students and for MD/PhD students. Being in Boca Raton makes it more of a vacation hotspot, and IMO doesn't do it any favors when it comes to patient population diversity.

FSU is primary-care focused and proud of it, but it's cheap and it's rural clinical sites do have some advantages, in that medical students on rotations have huge amounts of responsibility. How many 3rd and 4th years at academic centers get to be first assist on surgical rotations? Not many, I'd guess. Because of the nature of having community based rotations, FSU med students get an exceptional clinical experience because they get responsibilities and very intimate exposure to the medical field. With that said, the school has been open for some time and they've done little to nothing in the way of expansion. They don't care much for research or expanding their influence in the community, and seem content with their niche and toehold in Florida.

I wasn't offered an interview at FIU and didn't apply to DO, so I can't really comment on those schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
State: Pennsylvania

1. University of Pennsylvania
2. University of Pittsburgh
3. Jefferson
4. Penn State
5. Temple
6. The Commonwealth Medical College
7. Drexel*

Not ranked because I don't know enough about DO schools (though I would probably go PCOM first of the 2)
PCOM
LECOM

*Drexel still has not let me know that I am rejected yet. Send me a damn cursory form letter saying "thanks but no thanks." You don't even have to use my name or gender; you can go with a cursory "Dear Applicant." Get your stuff together cause to not even acknowledge the hours I put into your application is downright rude.

Not from PA, but I will say I am confused as to why you have placed Jefferson above Temple, and The Commonwealth MC over Drexel. Drexel is at least as good as Jefferson. Of course U of Penn tops the list in the state and in many cases, outside the state. Penn State over Temple too, hmmm. ? Well, the do have Hershey. To each his/her own.

California:

UCSF
UCLA
Stanford
UC Davis
USC
UCSD
UCI
UCR
Touro DO
Western DO
Deferring for a few years --> Kaiser
Deferring for a few years --> CalMed
Cal Northstate
Loma Linda

California:
UCLA
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
UC Davis
USC
UCI
UCR
Loma Linda
Northstate
Don't know and don't care about DO schools.
Honestly, I don't know how people take any Cali school over UCLA. The reputation of UCLA medical system (#1 in the West) and medical school is not only well-respected but extremely well-known. Ask just about any resident, fellow and attending from any part of the country and even most of the world, he or she is almost guaranteed to be familiar with the name UCLA within their own field/specialty. The resources at the school are mind blowing with tons and tons of money from donations ($100 millions from David Geffen already and more is being promised) and grants being poured in every year. The diversity at the medical school is incredible and the location of Westwood is as good as it gets with acceptable cost of living compared to places like SF.
I interviewed at UCSF and Stanford. Both were extremely impressive but also weren't as well-rounded in all areas as UCLA.

Reactions: 1 user
@p0gono @Dr.Smexy why do you guys put UCD over USC and UCI? I know they're all fairly close to each other, but I don't generally see UCD so high on these lists.

How I see it:

Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC
UCI=UCD
LLU
UCR
CNU

California:
UCLA
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
UC Davis
USC
UCI
UCR
Loma Linda
Northstate
Don't know and don't care about DO schools.
Honestly, I don't know how people take any Cali school over UCLA. The reputation of UCLA medical system (#1 in the West) and medical school is not only well-respected but extremely well-known. Ask just about any resident, fellow and attending from any part of the country and even most of the world, he or she is almost guaranteed to be familiar with the name UCLA within their own field/specialty. The resources at the school are mind blowing with tons and tons of money from donations ($100 millions from David Geffen already and more is being promised) and grants being poured in every year. The diversity at the medical school is incredible and the location of Westwood is as good as it gets with acceptable cost of living compared to places like SF.
I interviewed at UCSF and Stanford. Both were extremely impressive but also weren't as well-rounded in all areas as UCLA.

So money being equal, you would go to UCLA over UCSF/Stanford?

Also, just curious, what position would you rank UCLA nationally then?

@p0gono @Dr.Smexy why do you guys put UCD over USC and UCI? I know they're all fairly close to each other, but I don't generally see UCD so high on these lists.

How I see it:

Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC
UCI=UCD
LLU
UCR
CNU
Mostly because of the location and the atmosphere of the school. UC Davis is in a much better location than both USC and UCI. USC is just in a REALLY bad area. Also, my interview at UC Davis was much more pleasant and the students were a lot more visibly happy compared to my day at USC. I didn't interview at UCI but the reputation of the school was always "Meh. It's okay" whenever someone mention the school so that was why I put it lower.

So money being equal, you would go to UCLA over UCSF/Stanford?

Also, just curious, what position would you rank UCLA nationally then?
100% ! If the money is equal, UCLA will be the one. Don't get me wrong, UCSF and Stanford are VERY impressive but in my personal opinion, UCLA is just so well-rounded in all areas of medical education that it's hard to compete with. As far as nationally, again in my opinion, UCLA is in the top 5. Anything and I mean just about anything you want in medicine can be provided by UCLA. There are so many opportunities at UCLA that one med student at my interview there summed up nicely "You have to be very careful in picking what opportunities you want to utilize here since there are so much going on you might waste your time doing so many things because everything is available to you!" Everyone in medicine will be impressed and assume that you are either a top student or an extremely well-trained physician, if you say you're medical student at David Geffen or did your training at UCLA medical system. Again, it's my two cents.

Mostly because of the location and the atmosphere of the school. UC Davis is in a much better location than both USC and UCI. USC is just in a REALLY bad area. Also, my interview at UC Davis was much more pleasant and the students were a lot more visibly happy compared to my day at USC. I didn't interview at UCI but the reputation of the school was always "Meh. It's okay" whenever someone mention the school so that was why I put it lower.
Yes, all of these reasons. Also I have a Nor Cal preference and am interested in working with urban populations - UCD is in the heart of Sacramento while UCI is in suburbia quite a trip away from their medical center. Also UCD is way cheaper than U$C.

This has definitely been an interesting thread. I would say
MO

1. WashU
2. Mizzou
3. SLU (SLU and Mizzou close on quality but in state cost for Mizzou puts it above)
4. UMKC

We have DO schools in Kirksville and Kansas City, but I wouldn't be able to say which one is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
NY:
1) I consider all Manhattan programs to be the same at the medical student level.
2) Einstein
3)Rochester (With a big step between Einstein and Rochester)
4) All the SUNYs except Downstate (Maybe stony brook at the top)
5) Albany
6) NYMC
7) NYCOM
8) Touro Manhattan
9) Hofstra
10) Any Caribbean school
11) Nursing or PA School
12) Downstate (Did not like interviewing there)

Any Carib school before downstate? Did they kill your firstborn child??

Reactions: 5 users
Any Carib school before downstate? Did they kill your firstborn child??
I truly was not a fan of the interview, very unpleasant experience. Plus, I know a couple of attendings who are Downstate grads who had less-than-positive opinions of their days as a medical student to put it lightly. I would not go there if it was my only acceptance. However, the student body all seemed pretty chill and nice at least, since I don't want to be too negative lol.

This has definitely been an interesting thread. I would say
MO

1. WashU
2. Mizzou
3. SLU (SLU and Mizzou close on quality but in state cost for Mizzou puts it above)
4. UMKC

We have DO schools in Kirksville and Kansas City, but I wouldn't be able to say which one is better.
How do the research opps compare between MU and SLU?

I got to the DO school in KC. We have more research going on here and can rotate at UMKC (THC, St Lukes) and KU Med Center and being essentially within dowtown makes it IMO a little more attractive than KCOM which is really in the middle of nowhere.

Just curious as to why you put UofL over UK? I've heard it both ways, so I just wanted to know your opinion.
See I don't know either. Overall UK slightly edges out UofL in stats.
I would say
1. UK
2. UofL
3. KYCOM.

And I'm a KYCOM student.

Just curious as to why you put UofL over UK? I've heard it both ways, so I just wanted to know your opinion.
IMO Louisville has a better social scene than UK, and has more of a 20 something feel. Lexington is more of a college town.
:)
Larger variety of hospitals to rotate at as well.

has interviewed at or been offered an interview to most of the Florida schools and I don't think anyone, even the adcoms of the schools themselves, would believe this.

In my opinion:

1. UF
1-2. UM
3. UCF
4. USF
5. FAU
6. FSU
7. FIU

I ranked UCF pretty highly because they are growing fast, and in the next few years they'll be directly competing with UF and UM. UCF is getting a massive proportion of state funding, and is aiming to be in it's own little "healthcare city" and has the funds and faculty to do so. But, they still have the disadvantages associated with being a new school when it comes to residency matching. I have a pending interview here but those are just my first impressions.

USF I wasn't offered to interview at, so I don't know much about it other than it is an established mid-low tier medical school. Tampa is a pretty great place to get a medical education.

I wasn't offered an interview at FIU and didn't apply to DO, so I can't really comment on those schools.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you, that isn't a hater, that UF and Miami are the top two and FAU/FIU/FSU round out bottom three (although I really liked FAU).

but I'm curious about UCF over USF

I mean... UCF is still pretty new. The money is there but it seems like there still should be a "I'll believe it when I see it thing" The Big early scholarships were huge in getting great students but that's already not as big as it was (but was never intended to be) and from what I've heard is going to continue to get smaller.

Not from PA, but I will say I am confused as to why you have placed Jefferson above Temple, and The Commonwealth MC over Drexel. Drexel is at least as good as Jefferson. Of course U of Penn tops the list in the state and in many cases, outside the state. Penn State over Temple too, hmmm. ? Well, the do have Hershey. To each his/her own.

Drexel is definitely bottom tier in the philly area, if only because their admissions office is a complete joke. Temple and Penn State may flip-flop based on location preferences, but they are very similar in terms of research and clinical training IMO. TCMC and Drexel are essentially tied, but I think TCMC could easily eclipse Drexel in the future. The med school building was beautiful (except being located in Scranton), the longitudinal clerkships were interesting, and the faculty were very dedicated. If TCMC hires a more faculty as opposed to relying on volunteers and better coordinates the clinical sites it really could be an awesome choice for not only those wanting to serve NEPA, but PA applicants in general. Nothing is wrong with Drexel, but nobody really raves about it in the Philly area.
Anyway, PA:

1. Penn
2. Pitt
3. Jeff
4. Temple
5. Penn State
T6. TCMC
T6. Drexel
7. PCOM (really close to Drexel, has a really good rep in the Philly area)
8. LECOM

All these people with so many state schools...

State: Iowa

1. University of Iowa CCOM
2. DMU (D.O.)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

NE:

1) University of Nebraska Medical Center.
100) Creighton

That was easy.
Have you interviewed at both? I was interested in UNMC but Christ that 90% IS student population and 70+k tuition for OOS.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I moved around a lot over the years, but I will call NY my homestate.

1) Columbia=Cornell
2) Mount Sinai
3) NYU
4) Rochester
5) Einstein
6) SUNY Buffalo
7) Stony Brook
8) Upstate
9) AMC
10) NYMC
11) Hofstra
12) Touro Harlem
13) NYCOM
14) Downstate

According to where I wouldn't mind attending:

State: NC

1. Chapel Hill
2. East Carolina
3. Campbell
4. Duke
5. Wake Forest

According to where I wouldn't mind attending:

State: NC

1. Chapel Hill
2. East Carolina
3. Campbell
4. Duke
5. Wake Forest
Very interesting that you put duke as 4, but I guess the one year preclinical curriculum is not too appealing. UNC is always awesome of course.

1 & 2: UCSF = Stanford
3: UCLA (very close behind 1 and 2)
4: UCSD
5: USC
6: UCD
7: UCI
8: UCR
9: Loma Linda

DO schools

I moved around a lot over the years, but I will call NY my homestate.

1) Columbia=Cornell
2) Mount Sinai
3) NYU
4) Rochester
5) Einstein
6) SUNY Buffalo
7) Stony Brook
8) Upstate
9) AMC
10) NYMC
11) Hofstra
12) Touro Harlem
13) NYCOM
14) Downstate
Why Downstate last? Why Touro > NYCOM? Why AMC > NYMC? Not saying I disagree with you, I'm just curious. Also, is it based off of your interview experience, anecdotes or stats?

Last edited:
Why Downstate last? Why Touro > NYCOM? Why AMC > NYMC? Not saying I disagree with you, I'm just curious. Also, is it based off of your interview experience, anectodes or stats?

Interviewing at Downstate was an awful experience, would not go there if it were my only option. Touro > NYCOM because I would rather live in Manhattan. AMC > NYMC because I prefer the city Albany and I got the feeling that they produced a lot of big shot alums relative to its rank.

Drexel is definitely bottom tier in the philly area, if only because their admissions office is a complete joke. Temple and Penn State may flip-flop based on location preferences, but they are very similar in terms of research and clinical training IMO. TCMC and Drexel are essentially tied, but I think TCMC could easily eclipse Drexel in the future. The med school building was beautiful (except being located in Scranton), the longitudinal clerkships were interesting, and the faculty were very dedicated. If TCMC hires a more faculty as opposed to relying on volunteers and better coordinates the clinical sites it really could be an awesome choice for not only those wanting to serve NEPA, but PA applicants in general. Nothing is wrong with Drexel, but nobody really raves about it in the Philly area.
Anyway, PA:

1. Penn
2. Pitt
3. Jeff
4. Temple
5. Penn State
T6. TCMC
T6. Drexel
7. PCOM (really close to Drexel, has a really good rep in the Philly area)
8. LECOM

We will have to agree to disagree. I have friends that attended Jefferson. Perhaps things have changed. I truly hope so, but it was a letter grading system, and they felt like they were very punitive with their students.

I understand the ranking list from which you are drawing. This or one like it has Cooper listed above Drexel and Jefferson. This is just ridiculous IMHO. Cooper is new, and the main thing going for the hospital is it's trauma center. For anything else, better to go to Penn, Jeff, Temple, Drexel, etc. I put a lot into clinical factors and not just the newness of the school building.

Drexel's school of medicine years ago used to be The Medical College of Pennsylvania and before that Women's Medical College, and it's reputation was pretty good. Jefferson has a lot of nice things! Don't get me wrong. But you will have to go to Delaware for pediatrics rotations, pretty much--except the neonatal component.

As lackluster as city hospitals may be in terms of, well, being in an urban area, it is better if you want to see more, to be in dregs of West Philly or North Philly; although you will see more demographically mixed patients at CHOP. So, that's where Penn and Temple have an advantage, and at least Drexel has St. Christopher's. I think about clinical rotations, b/c that's where the student actually sees medicine, which is quite different from only learning didactics in the classroom. But to each her/his own.

Personally, I think those that can apply to Uniformed Services MS have the best deal overall. Good experiences and $0 tuition. Anyone that can at least try to apply there and get in should.

Last edited:
Baylor
UT Southwestern
UT School of Medicine at Houston (McGovern Medical School)
UT School of Medicine at San Antonio
UT Medical Branch Galveston
Texas A&M
UT Austin Dell Medical School
Texas Tech Lubbock
Texas Tech El Paso
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
UT Rio Grande Valley

We will have to agree to disagree. I have friends that attended Jefferson. Perhaps things have changed. I truly hope so, but it was a letter grading system, and they felt like they were very punitive with their students.

I understand the ranking list from which you are drawing. This or one like it has Cooper listed above Drexel and Jefferson. This is just ridiculous IMHO. Cooper is new, and the main thing going for the hospital is it's trauma center. For anything else, better to go to Penn, Jeff, Temple, Drexel, etc. I put a lot into clinical factors and not just the newness of the school building.

Drexel's school of medicine years ago used to be The Medical College of Pennsylvania and before that Women's Medical College, and it's reputation was pretty good. Jefferson has a lot of nice things! Don't get me wrong. But you will have to go to Delaware for pediatrics rotations, pretty much--except the neonatal component.

As lackluster as city hospitals may be in terms of, well, being in an urban area, it is better if you want to see more, to be in dregs of West Philly or North Philly; although you will see more demographically mixed patients at CHOP. So, that's where Penn and Temple have an advantage, and at least Drexel has St. Christopher's. I think about clinical rotations, b/c that's where the student actually sees medicine, which is quite different from only learning didactics in the classroom. But to each her/his own.

Personally, I think those that can apply to Uniformed Services MS have the best deal overall. Good experiences and $0 tuition. Anyone that can at least try to apply there and get in should.

I was mainly going by the reputation of hospitals (St. Chris is awesome, Hershey is actually a huge referral center for all of central Pa, Hahnaman has really been going through a lot of difficulties) and the size and impact of their research. I totally agree its a personal preference and clinical training is really the most important, its just hard as a premed to even attempt to assess its quality.

But just as an aside West Philly is rapidly changing , thanks to "Penntrification"

I truly was not a fan of the interview, very unpleasant experience. Plus, I know a couple of attendings who are Downstate grads who had less-than-positive opinions of their days as a medical student to put it lightly. I would not go there if it was my only acceptance. However, the student body all seemed pretty chill and nice at least, since I don't want to be too negative lol.

Makes sense, not every school is for everyone haha. But putting it below Caribbean schools.. that's some tough criticism! :p

I was mainly going by the reputation of hospitals (St. Chris is awesome, Hershey is actually a huge referral center for all of central Pa, Hahnaman has really been going through a lot of difficulties) and the size and impact of their research. I totally agree its a personal preference and clinical training is really the most important, its just hard as a premed to even attempt to assess its quality.

But just as an aside West Philly is rapidly changing , thanks to "Penntrification"

Yes. University City. Getting up more into Penn-Presby area gets a little tricker. And IMO, it certainly beats the whole Temple and St. Chris area. You really can't stray far off the reservation out there. I am just shocked over the Cooper rating. Really, over Drexel? Nah. Hahnemann's ED is no walk in the park either. Temple ED, major learning-clinical area, but to work it too long may kill you early. I mean you will see all the craziness in Temple's ED, and you time in their will fly.

For me, the top two places, from a clinical and overall perspective, would be Penn and Temple, but as I said. Jefferson has a lot of great stuff. I would choose any of the Philly schools over Cooper though. Not to knock it, but it's young, and eh, the city hospitals tend to get more of the best of the best in terms of talent, although, of course I am generalizing. For oncology, Penn would be great, as would be Temple, b/c you get to go through Fox Chase as well. All these places are incredibly expensive though.

Everyone has unique perspective of their in-state schools. I was reading this recent thread (see below) and thought it would be fun for every state to get involved. None of this has to go by numbers...you can put in explanations, but I'm not requiring anything.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-the-new-york-city-med-schools.1123465/page-2

My ranking is based on what school I would attend first (at the current time) if I was hypothetically accepted to all of them (barring tuition as a factor).

State: MI

1. University of Michigan
2. Wayne State University SOM
3. Oakland University WB SOM
4. MSU CHM
5. MSU COM
6. WMUSM
7. CMU-MD

I will assume you are from the east side of the state.

1.UofM 2. MSUCHM = WSU basically depending on preference for side of the state you want to live on, though MSU upward momentum is much stronger. 4. OU 5. WMU 6. MSUCOM 7. CMU

UTSW
Baylor
UTH
Tech/A&M/UTMB/UTHSCSA/El Paso
Dell/RGV
TCOM

PA

IMO:
1. Penn
2. Pitt
3. Jefferson = Temple
4. PSU
5. Drexel
6. TCMC
7. PCOM
8. LECOM

Makes sense, not every school is for everyone haha. But putting it below Caribbean schools.. that's some tough criticism! :p

I just feel bad for the patients who had my interviewer as a doctor, hard to ever believe this person went to medical school.

University of Chicago
Northwestern
UIC
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Southern Illinois
CCOM

At least that seems to be the general consensus. That being said, I would go to Rush over Chicago or Northwestern in a fraction of a heartbeat just because I am a huge fan of their mission and school in general.

New Mexico:

1) UNM

That was easy.

University of Chicago
Northwestern
UIC
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Southern Illinois
CCOM
I live right next door (30 from Chicago), but I would put SIU over Rosalind Franklin because of their research and dedicated hospital system. I would put Loyola equal or possibly over Rush, but that may be because I am waiting an interview decision.

University of Chicago
Northwestern
UIC
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Southern Illinois
CCOM

At least that seems to be the general consensus. That being said, I would go to Rush over Chicago or Northwestern in a fraction of a heartbeat just because I am a huge fan of their mission and school in general.

That's interesting that people keep ranking UIC so highly, my experience there was so underwhelming. Large class sizes, aging facilities, and they just don't seem to be as innovative as Rush or Loyola. I'd go with the first poster who had Illinois:

University of Chicago
Northwestern
Rush
Loyola
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Southern Illinois
CCOM

That's interesting that people keep ranking UIC so highly, my experience there was so underwhelming. Large class sizes, aging facilities, and they just don't seem to be as innovative as Rush or Loyola. I'd go with the first poster who had Illinois:

University of Chicago
Northwestern
Rush
Loyola
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Southern Illinois
CCOM
I think that's reasonably fair. UIC has a pretty fair amount of influence in the state of Illinois because such a big percentage of our doctors were educated there, maybe that has something to do with it.

Just to add my two cents to this (although I agree with @NorthOfBroad) if we are looking at just the philly/right near philly area Penn definite is consensus #1. After there you could make arguments for each of the trifecta that is Drexel/Temple/Jefferson, but I personally think Jefferson is a head above everyone else because of the culture surrounding the medical school. I interviewed at all three, and Jeff was the only place where the deans of the medical school actually took time out to talk to us individually, not as a group, and since they both go through everyone's application personally they will actually remember things about you from your application (such as your passion is white-water kayaking). At Temple the entire day felt disorganized and an admissions rep spent 20 minutes with us total, leaving us to then find our way to our interviews/activities. Drexel was a little more put together, but again very little admissions rep time. In terms of location, Jeff also definitely wins-center city is awesome. Drexel's clinical years take place in the city, but the first two exist at a campus outside of Philly, which is a nice, secluded campus but it seems like kind of a pain in the neck to get to since most students live downtown. Temple's area isn't great, but the campus is safe and the new student center is gorgeous (Temple's cad lab might be the coolest lab I've ever seen, with a ton of windows and a bunch of sunsets) but it didn't seem like a bunch of students live around there due to the area, so it's similar to Drexel in that there is a commute and that most students live around center city right near Jeff. Drexel and Jeff both seem to have pretty good faculty and administrative support, where Temple it just seems like the students are kind of on their own to do their own thing. Curriculum wise they all seem similar, although everything for Jeff is online/ipads and temple a lot seemed to be still in textbook form. Commonwealth to me seemed like a great concept and they're doing some really cool stuff with the curriculum, but Scranton really is kind of in the middle of nowhere so for me that was a huge turnoff (although living is unbelievably cheap and the facilities are gorgeous). Throw in research and you would get my rankings below. (For the trifecta alone, I would say Temple and Jefferson are close, with Jeff being more highly rated for me, and then Drexel a distant third.)
1. UPenn
2. Pitt
3. Jefferson
4. Temple
5. Drexel
6. Commonwealth
7. Penn State (I know very little about PSU hence the low ranking)
8. PCOM
9. LECOM