RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Being up every hour or every other hour last night to let your puppy out to have diarrhea... Well, I guess that's what I get for giving him a tiny bit of new treats at dog class because he isn't able to eat anything other than his dog food right now due to his sensitivities. I just wish I could find something that works with his stomach... The search will continue, but not right now...

Members don't see this ad.

Being up every hour or every other hour last night to let your puppy out to have diarrhea... Well, I guess that's what I get for giving him a tiny bit of new treats at dog class because he isn't able to eat anything other than his dog food right now due to his sensitivities. I just wish I could find something that works with his stomach... The search will continue, but not right now...
what about baking some low residue type food (i/d, or other rx) into treats to give him?

Reactions: 1 user
what about baking some low residue type food (i/d, or other rx) into treats to give him?

Definitely did this for my dog when he was on a food trial. You can get a TON of treats out of a single can of z/d. It's really easy to do. Just throw them in the oven for like 5 minutes at like 350 I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've thought about it, but just haven't had time to do it yet. But it is on my list of things to try! Thanks! Thankfully, he can have chicken (the food he does well on), so i/d or EN would work well to try.

I've thought about it, but just haven't had time to do it yet. But it is on my list of things to try! Thanks! Thankfully, he can have chicken (the food he does well on), so i/d or EN would work well to try.
i really like the royal canin high energy stuff too, for young dogs. and iams low res

i really like the royal canin high energy stuff too, for young dogs. and iams low res
Good to note. He is a very very lean puppy (8 months). I intend to keep him that way because I do suspect HD in him. He's a rescue so not really sure of his background. Poor boy... I Just feel so bad for him when I try to find something that will work and even just a little bit irritates him.

My favorite tech co-worker is leaving us after next week to go student teach. :( (She's the odd one out being an elementary education major around a bunch of biology/animal science people!) I get along on some level with everyone at this clinic, but she's by far the one I both work and get along with the best. Maybe it's because she's the only tech who started here after I did, so she's not condescending towards me. :rolleyes: Regardless, I'm both sad to see her go and grumpy at the prospect of having to help train a new person.

I'm 99% sure there is an animal in my walls EATING my house right now. All I can hear is chewing and I can't sleep. I even found where in the wall it is with my stethoscope but no amount of banging the walls will make it shut up. Of course its in the wall that my bed is up against... It's 2am and I have my hardest final tomorrow :( looks like I'm calling a pest control person after I take my final!

Agreed. And I think it can be a great additional therapy,or even primary for chronic issues. I just wouldn't reach for it first for a traumatic injury.

I wouldn't either, but esp in cases in the ER with an older animal, I would reach for tramadol if the owner declines bloodwork. Not sure if that's what happened with your sister, but it's a common occurrence. O tells me that they just had bloodwork done and everything was fine. I have 0 relationship with these people and the pet, and I have 0 trust in what they have to say even if they seem to be honest. I've been burned by the "just had full bloodwork" actually being just a 4dx sooo many times. From the owners perspective, they believed 100% that their pet had been "cleared" by bloodwork. I will explicitly explain that this medication is not my first choice esp because it doesn't address inflammation, but I would be much more comfortable with it safety wise for the pet without more information that the O declined. Usually they're fine with that and take the tramadol. They can come back if pain not adequately controlled, or call the rDVM who knows the pet's history.

Keeping my mom happy over the holidays is a chore and a half. My bf doesn't have the time or ability to come down for graduation (which I understand, I'm gonna see him sometime over break anyways). He's also from a divorced family, so he has three Christmases this year. But my mother believes he should scramble head over heels to be with me and my family because it's what my dad did.

for better or worse, the folks at NCSU are pretty darn anti-tramadol, but they're probably the only ones i know of that veryyyyy rarely prescribe it

I have to admit, I'm kinda sick of how polarized people are about tramadol. There's the "OMG YOU SHOULD NEVER USE IT BECAUSE IT DOES <NOTHING>" crowd and then the "BEST EVER - FEW SIDE EFFECTS AND WORKS REALLY WELL IN SOME DOGS!" crowd.

I just get tired of the back and forth shouting about it. Everyone is so 100% <certain> that they're right.

Which tells me that probably neither side is right.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a very good day at work. It was dragging on so ridiculously slowly (I thought I was going to go crazy) and I spent the second half of the day trying really hard not to claw my eyes out because something seems to be really irritating them. It's also been ridiculously dark out all day, which isn't depressing at all... And to top it all off, we had nine animals come in to the ER this morning. Four were euthanized, one was DOA, and one of the ones that actually did go home is coming back because it's having more seizures. What is with this day???

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit, I'm kinda sick of how polarized people are about tramadol. There's the "OMG YOU SHOULD NEVER USE IT BECAUSE IT DOES <NOTHING>" crowd and then the "BEST EVER - FEW SIDE EFFECTS AND WORKS REALLY WELL IN SOME DOGS!" crowd.

I just get tired of the back and forth shouting about it. Everyone is so 100% <certain> that they're right.

Which tells me that probably neither side is right.

I've honestly never heard anyone shouting back and forth one way or another about it in such absolute terms... so maybe it has to do with clinical culture/teaching hospital culture. People have been pretty middle of the road as far as I've seen. The way I've seen it used is generally in combo with other things, for animals with liver/kidney/GI issues/on steroids/dehydration, or on a PRN basis for something that may or may not need analgesics.

I mean, if the pet is doing clinically well on tram, I don't really care how "well" it's working. If pet is not doing clinically well, I'm not going to insist that tram should be enough because it's the best drug ever. It's not like you have to pick one drug and one drug only and stick to it.

The only clients who swear by it and think their large dog can't live without it are the ones that also call frantically in the middle of the night that their dog ran out, claim they accidentally trashed/lost it, and call for refills exactly on the dot each month.... so you know... if it were up to these people, it's the best drug on the planet... but I digress.

I've honestly never heard anyone shouting back and forth one way or another about it in such absolute terms... so maybe it has to do with clinical culture/teaching hospital culture. People have been pretty middle of the road as far as I've seen. The way I've seen it used is generally in combo with other things, for animals with liver/kidney/GI issues/on steroids/dehydration, or on a PRN basis for something that may or may not need analgesics.

I mean, if the pet is doing clinically well on tram, I don't really care how "well" it's working. If pet is not doing clinically well, I'm not going to insist that tram should be enough because it's the best drug ever. It's not like you have to pick one drug and one drug only and stick to it.

The only clients who swear by it and think their large dog can't live without it are the ones that also call frantically in the middle of the night that their dog ran out, claim they accidentally trashed/lost it, and call for refills exactly on the dot each month.... so you know... if it were up to these people, it's the best drug on the planet... but I digress.
this sums up how i feel about it as well

I worked at Banfield today and I'm terrified that I completely effed up a case. I'm really worried about it. Sigh.

Working relief is great and all, but being a GP with no prior mentorship is rough sometimes. I feel like I fumble and am unsure so frequently.

I feel like I'm becoming a decent lab animal vet, but it's completely different than dog and cat GP, and these weekends make me feel like I picked the wrong career and like I'm just a terrible veterinarian. I hate it. And I hope I didn't do a disservice to that dog today... Ugh.

I worked at Banfield today and I'm terrified that I completely effed up a case. I'm really worried about it. Sigh.

Working relief is great and all, but being a GP with no prior mentorship is rough sometimes. I feel like I fumble and am unsure so frequently.

I feel like I'm becoming a decent lab animal vet, but it's completely different than dog and cat GP, and these weekends make me feel like I picked the wrong career and like I'm just a terrible veterinarian. I hate it. And I hope I didn't do a disservice to that dog today... Ugh.
If you want to talk through it pm me

Sorry friend, hang in there :(

this sums up how i feel about it as well

Same. There are certain things that are cut and dry but I don't think tramadol is one of them.

I feel your pain... working GP with a very busy boss who is not into mentorship. Would also be happy to talk it over though I have way less experience than dyachei.

I feel your pain... working GP with a very busy boss who is not into mentorship. Would also be happy to talk it over though I have way less experience than dyachei.

Thanks guys. And thanks so much for the offer, bunnity. I chatted with @dyachei about the case for awhile last night, and she was super helpful. I'm sorry you don't have mentorship, I don't know how you do it.

I'm feeling a bit better today. Back in my comfort zone seeing pigs and sheep :)

And when I fell a few months ago I tore my tfcc and it didn't show up until my arthrogram this morning. When I finally get out of my cast in January it will be right after that I have surgery again. I cannot win

First day back at work and I end up with a hamster attached to my finger. Damn thing got me across the joint too so my finger hurts when I bend it.

It's also a little awkward cause they're doing this new system for how exam rooms are done and who goes into the room at any given time. Because no one is used to it yet it makes it awkward because I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be getting my history or if I'm just supposed to assist when needed. And since no one really knows when to say things I feel like the experience for the client must be awkward as well.

First day back at work and I end up with a hamster attached to my finger. Damn thing got me across the joint too so my finger hurts when I bend it.

It's also a little awkward cause they're doing this new system for how exam rooms are done and who goes into the room at any given time. Because no one is used to it yet it makes it awkward because I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be getting my history or if I'm just supposed to assist when needed. And since no one really knows when to say things I feel like the experience for the client must be awkward as well.
if you get neck pain or a fever, go to dr. seriously

Wow. I agree with you. But I've lost track of how many people I've heard look over some referral notes ... see that the rdvm put the dog on tramadol ... promptly snicker or roll their eyes and say "God, how stupid, tramadol doesn't do ANYTHING."

Or codeine.

Or the way somebody draws blood.

Or the way somebody does any one of the billion tasks we do.

Sorry. One of the things about vet med that I'm really tired of before I even graduate is how frickin' judgmental people are about the way other people do things or the drugs they prescribe. There is obviously a need to exercise critical judgment about what you think is best for an animal, but I am *really* tired of how many students and staff are critical specifically about some poor vet out in private practice who did something that they disprove of - and are quite happy to make their disapproval known.

Tramadol is definitely one of those things; at least, around here.

I probably need another vacation or something.

This reminds me, one time I was getting ready to do a jug stick on a dog, my boss walked by and said "That is way too far lateral!" I stuck the needle in, pulled back the plunger, watched the syringe fill with blood and said "Maybe, but that's where it is!"

As far as the tramadol argument goes, I've seen it work well in some dogs, but I hated what it did to me.

This reminds me, one time I was getting ready to do a jug stick on a dog, my boss walked by and said "That is way too far lateral!" I stuck the needle in, pulled back the plunger, watched the syringe fill with blood and said "Maybe, but that's where it is!"

As far as the tramadol argument goes, I've seen it work well in some dogs, but I hated what it did to me.
does it make you flush too but do nothing else/ just makes me look constantly embarrassed

Wow. I agree with you. But I've lost track of how many people I've heard look over some referral notes ... see that the rdvm put the dog on tramadol ... promptly snicker or roll their eyes and say "God, how stupid, tramadol doesn't do ANYTHING."

Or codeine.

Sorry. One of the things about vet med that I'm really tired of before I even graduate is how frickin' judgmental people are about the way other people do things or the drugs they prescribe. There is obviously a need to exercise critical judgment about what you think is best for an animal, but I am *really* tired of how many students and staff are critical specifically about some poor vet out in private practice who did something that they disprove of - and are quite happy to make their disapproval known.

Tramadol is definitely one of those things; at least, around here.

I probably need another vacation or something.

Surgery class.... 3 surgeons walking around... one comes up and tells you that you are doing it wrong (you are doing it how they taught in lecture). Makes you do something different... walks away. The next one comes up and tells you that you are doing it wrong (you are now doing it the way the first one told you to) makes you do something entirely different... third one comes up and tells you to do it how you were taught in lecture... Seriously, make up your damn minds!

Reactions: 3 users
Surgery class.... 3 surgeons walking around... one comes up and tells you that you are doing it wrong (you are doing it how they taught in lecture). Makes you do something different... walks away. The next one comes up and tells you that you are doing it wrong (you are now doing it the way the first one told you to) makes you do something entirely different... third one comes up and tells you to do it how you were taught in lecture... Seriously, make up your damn minds!

This has to be a universal thing at vet schools. So frustrating! But then I go on VIN and see people discussing 80 bajillion different ways to do a neuter and I feel better.

This is definitely how it goes in our preventative care labs.

Today my mom found out that her lung sarcoidosis is getting worse, and she has to start taking insulin every day for her diabetes. On top of that my family has to get rid of their three dogs (two pomeranians and a st bernard) and my sister's new kitten, because the animal hair and dander isn't good for my mom. My little sister is heartbroken, and I can't imagine going home and not seeing my dog pups.

This has to be a universal thing at vet schools. So frustrating! But then I go on VIN and see people discussing 80 bajillion different ways to do a neuter and I feel better.

Yuuuuuup. It's annoying, but in the end, you pick the one you like and do that when you graduate. If one was truly the best for everyone, then everyone would pretty much do it the same (e.g. Incisional gastropexy).

Today my mom found out that her lung sarcoidosis is getting worse, and she has to start taking insulin every day for her diabetes. On top of that my family has to get rid of their three dogs (two pomeranians and a st bernard) and my sister's new kitten, because the animal hair and dander isn't good for my mom. My little sister is heartbroken, and I can't imagine going home and not seeing my dog pups.
Oh wow, I am so sorry gwen :( Thoughts and prayers for your mom and the rest of your family. That is really rough.

Oh wow, I am so sorry gwen :( Thoughts and prayers for your mom and the rest of your family. That is really rough.
Thanks WZ. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the other kitten, since she's my kitten's sister. I just hope that the Poms and Saint will get good homes.

So sorry Gwen. =(

And not really a full-blown rant, but my sister just got back from her semester abroad in Denmark. Now I'm feeling super nostalgic and am missing the UK and traveling and all that. It doesn't happen too frequently, but now's one of those times where I wish I had gone to Glasgow for vet school.

Mini rant:
The soda that came with my Jimmy Johns was just carbonated water.

Not precisely a rant ... more like a whine ... but if someone could write this necropsy report for me I'd really appreciate it. I might even make you a recording of my amazing voice.

Hopefully this is the last rant for a while.
Apparently my boyfriend and my own mothers got together and decided that my boyfriend was in fact traveling down to campus this weekend for my graduation. Despite the fact that him and I already talked about and figured out our winter break plans, and decided that him coming to my graduation would be economically wasteful, and that I didn't have anymore tickets left. But the mothers figured it all out and decided to tell us instead of discuss it with us. Now boyfriend is coming down Saturday morning.
So now I'm having to change all my pre-grad plans, and I'm annoyed as hell.

I fell off a horse September and hurt my back... Tramadol was the worst. Not only did it make me just as nauseated as the Vicodin but it didn't help my pain at all and made me hallucinate. I know other people who have had it and it works just fine. Weird drug.

Tramadol doesn't do crap for me. Even if I combine it with gabapentin, I barely notice any effects.

Ugh. A do-over for today would be fantastic. And a punching bag.
tumblr_inline_mq7vzvAGOZ1qz4rgp.gif

I fell off a horse September and hurt my back... Tramadol was the worst. Not only did it make me just as nauseated as the Vicodin but it didn't help my pain at all and made me hallucinate. I know other people who have had it and it works just fine. Weird drug.
that has to do with the way your liver personally processes the drug - i just read an article about this recently, and apparently theres an enormous variation between how people metabolize the drug (and thus whether or not it will make a difference for you). crazy.

I ordered one of my boyfriend's Christmas presents on the 4th, and it's still not here yet. :annoyed: Tracking has an estimated delivery date of Monday, and I ordered a couple things for myself too so I could qualify for free shipping, so I can't complain too much. However, I'm going home for Christmas on Saturday, but I had the package shipped to my apartment, so I'll have to make a special trip just to get it. It's not far out of my way, but still... I'm grumpy and impatient! I get spoiled with free 2-day shipping from Amazon Prime. :p