RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People buy baby tigers all the time. So a bobcat is thoroughly unsurprising.

We had this conversations at the center yesterday. People were wondering "who would buy a baby bobcat kitten?!" And I'm like, people buy baby tigers that are ENDANGERED and on the brink of extinction, much more often than you would wish to think. I'm not surprised that people would try to sell or buy a bobcat kitten, but it still sickens me that humans think that they can kill/harm whatever they want just for the sake of turning a profit.

Members don't see this ad.

We had this conversations at the center yesterday. People were wondering "who would buy a baby bobcat kitten?!" And I'm like, people buy baby tigers that are ENDANGERED and on the brink of extinction, much more often than you would wish to think. I'm not surprised that people would try to sell or buy a bobcat kitten, but it still sickens me that humans think that they can kill/harm whatever they want just for the sake of turning a profit.
Buy baby tiger, baby tiger grows up, sell tiger to roadside zoo because it got too big. Or, baby tiger never really grows upbe ause of improper nutrition. If its lucky it ends up at a sanctuary. It's all too common. And yeah, it's sickening.

Buy baby tiger, baby tiger grows up, sell tiger to roadside zoo because it got too big. Or, baby tiger never really grows upbe ause of improper nutrition. If its lucky it ends up at a sanctuary. It's all too common. And yeah, it's sickening.

I did some volunteer work at a big cat rescue in high school. Pretty much all the tigers, leopards, and other big cats were declawed because they started out as pets and people thought declawing them would make them safer. So sad that people don't realize that these animals are not pets, but also that someone would actually perform the procedure. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did some volunteer work at a big cat rescue in high school. Pretty much all the tigers, leopards, and other big cats were declawed because they started out as pets and people thought declawing them would make them safer. So sad that people don't realize that these animals are not pets, but also that someone would actually perform the procedure. Ugh.
Poor things. I've heard of canine removal or filing too.

Poor things. I've heard of canine removal or filing too.

Sooo sad. We've had dogs that have had that procedure done, as well as "voice box removal". I don't know technical term, but somehow the larynx is altered to make it impossible for dog to bark. It doesn't work though, they still make a horrible raspy noise in place of a bark (and imo, it's worse). People are awful.

PS. I tried to post a happier video of the baby bobcat scarfing down some beef heart. I couldn't figure out how to make it work though. Lol

Sooo sad. We've had dogs that have had that procedure done, as well as "voice box removal". I don't know technical term, but somehow the larynx is altered to make it impossible for dog to bark. It doesn't work though, they still make a horrible raspy noise in place of a bark (and imo, it's worse). People are awful.

PS. I tried to post a happier video of the baby bobcat scarfing down some beef heart. I couldn't figure out how to make it work though. Lol
Some people just shouldn't be allowed near animals.

Ah that sounds adorable :D

Reactions: 1 user

It's often called de-barking

Can everyone send me some good thoughts? My undergrad thesis is due in March, and while I made a lot of progress in my writing last semester and have everything but results and conclusion written (though it needs to be edited) I still have to get some more results that are as accurate as possible. I had about a year to learn these very hard computational programs that mostly grad students do and I've been getting discouraged very easily. I don't really have much help and have to reach out to people I don't know in the field to get help. I have results but I plan to keep redoing the tests until they're good enough. I just don't want my thesis to suck or to have an experimental design that could have been better. I'm afraid if it sucks and someone tries to recreate my experiment, my advisor and everyone will realize that this wasn't my best. How terrible will that be? And I'm regretting giving up so easily in my fall semester not worrying harder on this part of it, but I also took physics, calculus II, upper levels, and wrote as much thesis as I could at the same time while being active on campus AND having the **** happens factor skyrocket in my personal life. I'm terrified of not graduating but I'm too far into this thesis to give up. Pray I can get this done in two months!

Reactions: 2 users
It's often called de-barking
It also makes dogs super hard to intubate if they need general anesthesia at any point in the future. We had one come through that took a size 3.5mm tube. A dog of its size should have taken a 5-6mm tube.

Also, my real rant...
My laptop is officially toast. Had to buy a new battery this summer (off of eBay, since it's now a "vintage" model, per Apple). Battery has been losing the ability to hold charge over the past month (I've only had it since July-August). Now it doesn't hold charge. At all. Unplug laptop = black screen.
6 months into a residency is obviously an optimal time to be out a portable computer...

Dear vet students,
Please be on your better behavior at conferences. Cutting off your future colleagues while walking to get a stuffed dog probably doesn't leave them with the best impression. Neither does talking loudly across a meeting room about how you're going to skip lectures and go to Universal or Disney to drink. I'm not saying don't have fun. You can have fun. Just remember some of us need this for our veterinary license.

Sincerely,
about to start using the crutch as a weapon

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*shudders*
:scared:

Some cities/counties can actually require you to get your dog debarked if you have too many noise complaints. My parents were given the ultimatum of getting out schipperke getting debarked or they would confiscate him or whatever. So they debarked Stanley. He was a boss though and figured out how to bark again.

Dear vet students,
Please be on your better behavior at conferences. Cutting off your future colleagues while walking to get a stuffed dog probably doesn't leave them with the best impression. Neither does talking loudly across a meeting room about how you're going to skip lectures and go to Universal or Disney to drink. I'm not saying don't have fun. You can have fun. Just remember some of us need this for our veterinary license.

Sincerely,
about to start using the crutch as a weapon
Otherwise, how is NAVC going? Lol

A friend's children were murdered today. By their own father, who then killed himself. They were having major custody disputes.

The world freaking sucks. I cannot even imagine what agony she is going through right now. My heart aches so much for her...

A friend's children were murdered today. By their own father, who then killed himself. They were having major custody disputes.

The world freaking sucks. I cannot even imagine what agony she is going through right now. My heart aches so much for her...

That is so awful. I'm so sorry for you and your friend - I hope she's surrounded by family and friends to help support her through this. :(

There are no words. :( That is absolutely awful. I am so, so sorry.

Oh my god, that is so horrible :( I am so sorry for you and your friend. I can't even imagine.

Omg... This is horrible. I'm so, so sorry. People can be so sick.

There are no words. So sorry for her.

That is so awful. I'm so sorry for you and your friend - I hope she's surrounded by family and friends to help support her through this. :(

There are no words. :( That is absolutely awful. I am so, so sorry.

Oh my god, that is so horrible :( I am so sorry for you and your friend. I can't even imagine.

Omg... This is horrible. I'm so, so sorry. People can be so sick.

There are no words. So sorry for her.
Thank you all for the kind words.

It's just tough because it's so, so hard to know what to say or do in a situation like this, especially when I'm several hours away from her.

It's crazy. This is one of those things that you hear about on the local evening news, but don't think twice about. And then it happens to someone you actually know... it was beyond shocking, to say the least.

I am so sorry to hear this. Everyone is in my thoughts :(

I'm not accustomed to sitting for 8 hrs a day in a classroom anymore. And I got up at 5 am to drive here. But the lectures have been really good so far.
I only graduated in May, so I should be used to lectures. And I still fell asleep during an equine colic lecture after lunch yesterday....

Back in October, I found a cat meowing on my doorstep. He was the sweetest thing and I fell in love, so I took him straight to the clinic to scan for a chip (negative). He was skin and bones and covered in fleas. I gave him a bath (he went from brown to white) before I started his fiv/felv snap test, and of course he tested positive for fiv. I was crushed because I had already decided to keep him as a brother for my cat, and the vet on staff pretty much told me "you know what we have to do now". I didn't want to euthanize, and I convinced myself that this cat deserved a chance so I spent a week networking and finally found the perfect home for him with a couple of older college students from my school looking for their first cat. I paid for his neuter and vaccines, and dropped him off and things were great. The guy sent me updates all the time saying things like "I love him so much", "thank you for bringing him into our lives", etc etc, and I was so happy that he had a permanent home.

Well, I hadn't heard from either of them in a while and he hadn't posted anything on Facebook about the cat (we became FB friends after finding out we had classes together) so I started getting worried... I messaged the guy to see how the cat was doing and he saw my message but never replied. So then I messaged the girl and found out that they broke up, and he moved to different state and took the cat with him, but no longer has the cat. She has no idea what happened, and she doesn't know if he adopted him out or just let him loose on the streets. I'm just sick about it. I shouldn't be, and a big flaw of mine is that I get so emotionally invested but I really loved that cat. And I said "if anything EVER happens to where you aren't able to keep him, please let me know so I can take him back and find him another home". Sigh. I know that there's nothing I can do about it now. I did all that I could when I found him, but I'm so upset about the situation. Why can't people just follow through for once :(

Ugh. I'm so sorry. A sort of similar situation happened to my classmate in undergrad. It always amazes me what some people do in these kinds of situations.

I am so sorry to hear this. Everyone is in my thoughts :(
Ugh. I'm so sorry. A sort of similar situation happened to my classmate in undergrad. It always amazes me what some people do in these kinds of situations.
Thank you both very much for the well wishes. I do appreciate it.

I drove six hours to make it to their candlelight vigil today. Despite the snow and single digit temperature, we had an absolutely stellar turnout. If there is one positive that could possibly come about as a result of this tragedy, it has reaffirmed just how tight-knit the community is and what lengths we are all willing to go to help each other out, especially when such a terrible thing happens. It... really touched me to see just how much support there was.

Thank you both very much for the well wishes. I do appreciate it.

I drove six hours to make it to their candlelight vigil today. Despite the snow and single digit temperature, we had an absolutely stellar turnout. If there is one positive that could possibly come about as a result of this tragedy, it has reaffirmed just how tight-knit the community is and what lengths we are all willing to go to help each other out, especially when such a terrible thing happens. It... really touched me to see just how much support there was.
A friend of mine lost her daughter a week before her first birthday. She drowned in a pool while her mom left her in a "friend's" care for less than five minutes while she went inside to grab a pen. No parent should ever have to lose a child. I know my friend never recovered. She's learned how to live each day, and she's currently pregnant with her fourth child, but the loss of her first born weighs heavy on her daily. If your friend ever needs someone to talk to who has also lost a child traumatically, I know my friend would be happy to help.

A friend of mine lost her daughter a week before her first birthday. She drowned in a pool while her mom left her in a "friend's" care for less than five minutes while she went inside to grab a pen. No parent should ever have to lose a child. I know my friend never recovered. She's learned how to live each day, and she's currently pregnant with her fourth child, but the loss of her first born weighs heavy on her daily. If your friend ever needs someone to talk to who has also lost a child traumatically, I know my friend would be happy to help.
That's awful. :( I can't imagine losing a child at all, let alone one who was so, so young. I am so sorry for your friend.

I definitely appreciate the offer. I will keep it in mind for sure if she ever would like to talk to someone who has experienced something similar. Thank you very, very much.

Just found a SQ (at least it feels SQ)mass on myself. It feels like a lipoma would but now I have to find time to get an appointment to get it checked out. I really want to just FNA it myself especially since I'm starting my path rotation this week.

Just found a SQ (at least it feels SQ)mass on myself. It feels like a lipoma would but now I have to find time to get an appointment to get it checked out. I really want to just FNA it myself especially since I'm starting my path rotation this week.
Meh just do it haha. But if you see fat, believe it. Last year I found masses on penny. I'm aspirated fat but didn't believe it. Had them biopsied...fat haha

My boyfriend of four years just broke up with me because he flat out wasn't willing to put in any effort to improve our communication issues that needed to be addressed. He didn't support me emotionally at all during the vet interview process and when I told him I could have used some support, he told me he didn't think I would be anxious about the whole process because most people don't get in their first application cycle.

I'm feeling hurt and pretty insulted. Yeah, our relationship had problems, but four years of commitment AND he didn't even want to try. And I know there isn't anyone else because he's already crying to one of my best friends that he's sooooo upset and he had to end it because he just couldn't bear to hurt me anymore. It's like something out of a bad anime script. Total bul****.

I need a drink.

My boyfriend of four years just broke up with me because he flat out wasn't willing to put in any effort to improve our communication issues that needed to be addressed. He didn't support me emotionally at all during the vet interview process and when I told him I could have used some support, he told me he didn't think I would be anxious about the whole process because most people don't get in their first application cycle.

I'm feeling hurt and pretty insulted. Yeah, our relationship had problems, but four years of commitment AND he didn't even want to try. And I know there isn't anyone else because he's already crying to one of my best friends that he's sooooo upset and he had to end it because he just couldn't bear to hurt me anymore. It's like something out of a bad anime script. Total bul****.

I need a drink.

Sounds like he has a pretty good amount of growing up to do. And the fact that he said most people don't get in on their first try... He was just looking for an excuse to be unavailable. I mean, if you thought you were destined for failure, wouldn't you be more anxious? Let him mature a little bit... He obviously wants to be a little boy a bit longer. He'll know what he lost soon.

Sounds like he has a pretty good amount of growing up to do. And the fact that he said most people don't get in on their first try... He was just looking for an excuse to be unavailable. I mean, if you thought you were destined for failure, wouldn't you be more anxious? Let him mature a little bit... He obviously wants to be a little boy a bit longer. He'll know what he lost soon.

I would not disagree with you. On any of it. I recognize now that he was really emotionally stunted....but I'm still struggling with the not taking it personally bit. Which is hard when your partner says flat out he doesn't want to work with you. I'm still working through the hurt, I guess.

I need a drink.

Vet school is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do. If you are going to be with someone, you need to be with a person who will have your back every step of the way. As hard as it is, it's better that this happened now and not while you are eyeballs deep in vet school exams/lectures/labs and you are already emotionally and mentally exhausted.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a horrible first day at my off campus rotation. I wish I could just not go back. I told my friends about what happened today and they are speechless. If tomorrow is just as bad I might contact my extern coordinator to see what my options are :( I was so excited for this, I am tremendously let down.

I had a horrible first day at my off campus rotation. I wish I could just not go back. I told my friends about what happened today and they are speechless. If tomorrow is just as bad I might contact my extern coordinator to see what my options are :( I was so excited for this, I am tremendously let down.
:( Sorry to hear. I know you were looking forward to this one.

I'm so sorry. Having less than stellar rotations/externships is never fun. I don't think I've had one that seems quite the degree of let down you're having, but feel free to PM me if you just want to vent about things.

Ditto to what orca said about venting. I hope it gets better though!

I'm sorry. Always sucks when something you were looking forward to disappoints you. Always here if you need to vent/rant. Just like the above few people.

Here to talk, too, @Kpowell14. I know you love dentistry, so you must have really been looking forward to this externship. If you are looking for a different experience, I can give you the contact information to a great veterinary dentist I externed with.

I'm sorry :( I remember you had just posted recently how much you were looking forward to it. Hope tomorrow is better :xf:

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I'm trying to stay positive and take something away from this even if those things are not about the medicine...like how to treat people and clients, what not to do etc.. its just disappointing that I picked this place not knowing what I was getting myself into and I could have gone somewhere more worth my time :/