RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This seems not that difficult and entirely worth it even if you get a small scholarship
Yes, that would be why I applied to as many as I could

Members don't see this ad.

She's at Illinois too! Were they just complaints, or did they hold some merit? Idk that our system is actually rigged, but i've heard a lot that the same people get money every year.
I can't speak to whether the complaints hold any merit but there definitely is a lot of repetition when it comes to awards.

I had the luxury today of having my parents offer to buy me my "last" big indoor plant (a medium sized palm) while they were visiting but, of course, the three different places we stopped either didn't have any at all or only had very small ones (less then 3 ft in height). The upside is that I do now have a nice ceramic planter to put future-plant-friend in. I have one more place to check and as of a couple of months ago they had many different sizes and species of palm so I'm hoping that's still the case.

I also almost started crying in the grocery store this afternoon when I picked up some celery and thought, "First time in years the celery is just for me." (My rabbit usually ended up eating most of the celery.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the luxury today of having my parents offer to buy me my "last" big indoor plant (a medium sized palm) while they were visiting but, of course, the three different places we stopped either didn't have any at all or only had very small ones (less then 3 ft in height). The upside is that I do now have a nice ceramic planter to put future-plant-friend in. I have one more place to check and as of a couple of months ago they had many different sizes and species of palm so I'm hoping that's still the case.

I also almost started crying in the grocery store this afternoon when I picked up some celery and thought, "First time in years the celery is just for me." (My rabbit usually ended up eating most of the celery.)
When I visited my family home for the first time after euthanizing my childhood dog a couple years ago, I actually teared up - I leaned into the door to stop him from running out, but he wasn't there. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Doesn't feel good, and it's the stupid little things that catch you off guard.

Really sorry about your bun. :c

Reactions: 1 users
Financial aid forms are so tedious. I understand having to supply my parents' information even though I'm almost 30, and they're both retired and living entirely off of Social Security with additional help from my siblings. My dad was very unhappy about having to give me all of their financial information even after I explained multiple times that he has zero obligation and that I expect nothing from them. Now I've nearly completed all the paperwork, and the bottom of the form has lines for both parents to sign. Cripes, do I really have to mail this to my parents, who are out of state, and then bug them to mail it to school for me? I'm going to have to have the "dad, this doesn't mean you're paying a single cent" argument with my father once again because he's stubborn and over 70 years old, so he forgets things. And I have to inconvenience them once again.

The financial aid director said that not many students submit their parents' information. It's certainly not a mystery to me anymore why that's the case. Not only is it a huge pain to have to find out every single detail about their finances and assets, but now I have to bother them to even get the form submitted. I'm going to call school tomorrow morning to see if I absolutely have to. Don't know why I didn't notice the last page sooner. :smack:

Financial aid forms are so tedious. I understand having to supply my parents' information even though I'm almost 30, and they're both retired and living entirely off of Social Security with additional help from my siblings. My dad was very unhappy about having to give me all of their financial information even after I explained multiple times that he has zero obligation and that I expect nothing from them. Now I've nearly completed all the paperwork, and the bottom of the form has lines for both parents to sign. Cripes, do I really have to mail this to my parents, who are out of state, and then bug them to mail it to school for me? I'm going to have to have the "dad, this doesn't mean you're paying a single cent" argument with my father once again because he's stubborn and over 70 years old, so he forgets things. And I have to inconvenience them once again.

The financial aid director said that not many students submit their parents' information. It's certainly not a mystery to me anymore why that's the case. Not only is it a huge pain to have to find out every single detail about their finances and assets, but now I have to bother them to even get the form submitted. I'm going to call school tomorrow morning to see if I absolutely have to. Don't know why I didn't notice the last page sooner. :smack:
I never put my parents info in.

I never put my parents info in.

I originally skipped it on the FAFSA but amended later once I got my parents' tax information. But our school specific application requires parental info even from independent students, and I don't want to miss out on any aid they might have. The loan they offer is subsidized and has a lower interest rate than federal loans, so if I'd otherwise qualify, I don't want to take myself out of the running by not getting my paperwork and documents in by the May 1 deadline. But man is it a huge pain in the ass. And if I didn't need my parents' tax info, I could've submitted this already, but my dad always likes to wait until the last week for his accountant to complete everything, and it took me a few days to receive the copy in the mail. So the clock is ticking. Bah.

Reactions: 1 user
I originally skipped it on the FAFSA but amended later once I got my parents' tax information. But our school specific application requires parental info even from independent students, and I don't want to miss out on any aid they might have. The loan they offer is subsidized and has a lower interest rate than federal loans, so if I'd otherwise qualify, I don't want to take myself out of the running by not getting my paperwork and documents in by the May 1 deadline. But man is it a huge pain in the ass. And if I didn't need my parents' tax info, I could've submitted this already, but my dad always likes to wait until the last week for his accountant to complete everything, and it took me a few days to receive the copy in the mail. So the clock is ticking. Bah.

I always had to do this too so I could qualify for Perkins/HPSL. Always annoyed my parents as well. And you can totally submit it after May 1st just as an FYI. My parents frequently had extensions on their taxes so they often didn't have the info. I submitted it late every single year and always got my money. They just don't tell you that it's not a hard deadline. Definitely call the Financial Aid department to confirm, but you should be fine.

If you have no money, and no way to get your pet to the clinic, I cannot help you. I am very sorry for your situation, but we do not run an ambulance service and I am not authorized to extend credit to you. I do not run the business, so I am not allowed to just tell you that you can pay later. And if I were to make a housecall I'd need a credit card number up front before leaving, which you don't have. Frankly, if you can't manage any of these things, you probably shouldn't have a dog.

Just had a moment to reflect on all of the terrible cases I've seen/heard about through the wildlife clinic, the news and the ER at school...sometimes I really hate people.

Apartment hunting :bang:

Most of my stress is caused by the fact that I don't really know what I want. Sigh.
Might help to make a priority list! Start with stuff that you absolutely want in an apartment (carpet, a working roof, front door, Windows, I'm getting a little too specific) then work down to the non-essentials like furnished, coin-op laundry versus in the unit, porch/balcony, community amenities (pool, fitness center, clubhouse). Then when you're looking and asking questions, find the best fit.

Might help to make a priority list! Start with stuff that you absolutely want in an apartment (carpet, a working roof, front door, Windows, I'm getting a little too specific) then work down to the non-essentials like furnished, coin-op laundry versus in the unit, porch/balcony, community amenities (pool, fitness center, clubhouse). Then when you're looking and asking questions, find the best fit.
I guess it's more like...I know what I want, theoretically. I know what an ideal place would be. I just don't know what I can justify spending on what I want, and therefore I'm not sure what I should just resign myself to not getting in order to save money (should i forget living alone, in unit laundry, furnished, etc). It's hard to make a budget when you won't have an actual income. And then I'm trying to think of my kitties too, they're not used to be around strange people or animals, so would it be better to live alone for their sake (and me not stressing about them), and then save money by living somewhere a little older with fewer perks. So basically my spreadsheet has super basic one bedroom places, and on the other end it has those student living communities where you have 3 or 4 roommates and it's really nice and still pretty cheap, and then basically everything in between.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having a full week of classes during finals week = :boom:

The weather around here is supposed to be really bad tomorrow (especially in KS and OK), at least from everything I've read/heard. Like, potential tornado outbreak sort of bad. Ugh. :unsure:

I guess it's more like...I know what I want, theoretically. I know what an ideal place would be. I just don't know what I can justify spending on what I want, and therefore I'm not sure what I should just resign myself to not getting in order to save money (should i forget living alone, in unit laundry, furnished, etc). It's hard to make a budget when you won't have an actual income. And then I'm trying to think of my kitties too, they're not used to be around strange people or animals, so would it be better to live alone for their sake (and me not stressing about them), and then save money by living somewhere a little older with fewer perks. So basically my spreadsheet has super basic one bedroom places, and on the other end it has those student living communities where you have 3 or 4 roommates and it's really nice and still pretty cheap, and then basically everything in between.
I know the feeling. I ended up deciding to live alone and in a place that's a bit nicer and a lot more expensive than I'm used to, because I had a bad roommate experience last year with a girl that used to be my best friend, and I'm planning on taking my cat with me, and she also doesn't get along with other animals or most people. I looked at another one-bedroom that was a bit cheaper, but it had coin laundry rather than in-unit, the units were smaller, and the kitchens I don't think had been updated at all since the '70s. The dishwashers were the portable kind that you have too hook up to the sink to use. :unsure: I figure I would rather pay a little more to keep my sanity and live in a nice place that I can stay in all four years, than have a living situation that's going to cause me headaches when I should be focusing on school. But we'll see if I say the same in four years when I'm over $200k in debt. :barf: (That will be the situation regardless of where I live. ****ing OOS tuition...)

Anyway, the rant that I came here to post is that my Galaxy S6 that I just got in January keeps crashing for no reason, and then won't boot up properly. This happened a couple weeks ago, but then it seemed to fix itself and worked just fine for a while, but then late last night and this morning it's been giving me hell. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it crashes, since it will crash when I'm not even using it, or when I just try to do something simple like unlock the screen or Google something. It will seem to work fine for a bit, but then all of a sudden say "Unfortunately [app] has stopped" multiple times and then shut down. :rage: I'm sure it's still under warranty, but I don't really have time to go to Best Buy to deal with this, especially since I'd probably have to get my dad to come with me since it's his name on the account. I also haven't tried doing a factory reset, because I really don't want to have to re-download all my apps, but it's looking like I may have to.

I know the feeling. I ended up deciding to live alone and in a place that's a bit nicer and a lot more expensive than I'm used to, because I had a bad roommate experience last year with a girl that used to be my best friend, and I'm planning on taking my cat with me, and she also doesn't get along with other animals or most people. I looked at another one-bedroom that was a bit cheaper, but it had coin laundry rather than in-unit, the units were smaller, and the kitchens I don't think had been updated at all since the '70s. The dishwashers were the portable kind that you have too hook up to the sink to use. :unsure: I figure I would rather pay a little more to keep my sanity and live in a nice place that I can stay in all four years, than have a living situation that's going to cause me headaches when I should be focusing on school. But we'll see if I say the same in four years when I'm over $200k in debt. :barf: (That will be the situation regardless of where I live. ****ing OOS tuition...)
I'm leaning towards something similar. I found a nice group of girls with a room available in their 4 bedroom house but they already have 4 animals and I just don't know if my cats would adjust well to that. I would save a good bit of money but it could end up being a huge headache. And with my bf potentially moving to Knoxville when/if he finds a job there, it seems like it would make more sense for me to have my own place. I'm just having a hard time making a final decision.

I'm leaning towards something similar. I found a nice group of girls with a room available in their 4 bedroom house but they already have 4 animals and I just don't know if my cats would adjust well to that. I would save a good bit of money but it could end up being a huge headache. And with my bf potentially moving to Knoxville when/if he finds a job there, it seems like it would make more sense for me to have my own place. I'm just having a hard time making a final decision.

In everything you post, you seem to lean slightly towards wanting to live alone. You may not notice that in your posting but that very well could be a sign that that is what you should do. Another suggestion: Try flipping a coin, make heads living alone and tails with people if you find yourself secretly hoping it lands a certain way, you have your answer. Happened to me when trying to decide which job to take, once I posted the everyone vote A or B on here I found myself hoping I'd get a lot of job A, that was my sign. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
In everything you post, you seem to lean slightly towards wanting to live alone. You may not notice that in your posting but that very well could be a sign that that is what you should do. Another suggestion: Try flipping a coin, make heads living alone and tails with people if you find yourself secretly hoping it lands a certain way, you have your answer. Happened to me when trying to decide which job to take, once I posted the everyone vote A or B on here I found myself hoping I'd get a lot of job A, that was my sign. ;)
You're right. Reading back over everything I've said here and on fb, I'm almost always listing reasons why living alone would be a good idea :laugh:

Got a jury summons today. Starting halfway through my second block of rotations. Claims they can have me for up to 2 weeks and the longest I can postpone is 9 months (strangely enough, I'll still be in rotations then). Reeaaally hoping my school can make this go away, if I have to do rotations past graduation for this **** I am going to be livid.

tumblr_lwosngkjny1qlnlwao1_500.gif
Follow up:
Just found out I was sent 2 pieces of mail from the court offices. Had the BF open them and I was simultaneously rejected from postponing jury duty and approved to postpone it until June 6... of THIS YEAR. So, 2 weeks. Not helpful.

Cue stress about jury duty re-rising to ridiculous levels.

Follow up:
Just found out I was sent 2 pieces of mail from the court offices. Had the BF open them and I was simultaneously rejected from postponing jury duty and approved to postpone it until June 6... of THIS YEAR. So, 2 weeks. Not helpful.

Cue stress about jury duty re-rising to ridiculous levels.
Does your school have free legal services for students? Maybe check with them to see what you can do. That really stinks though!

I know the feeling. I ended up deciding to live alone and in a place that's a bit nicer and a lot more expensive than I'm used to, because I had a bad roommate experience last year with a girl that used to be my best friend, and I'm planning on taking my cat with me, and she also doesn't get along with other animals or most people. I looked at another one-bedroom that was a bit cheaper, but it had coin laundry rather than in-unit, the units were smaller, and the kitchens I don't think had been updated at all since the '70s. The dishwashers were the portable kind that you have too hook up to the sink to use. :unsure: I figure I would rather pay a little more to keep my sanity and live in a nice place that I can stay in all four years, than have a living situation that's going to cause me headaches when I should be focusing on school.

Pretty sure I lived in this place like 4 years ago :rofl:The management company was great... the apartments not so much. I think you made a good choice!

I'm almost ready to apply to a complex that looks fantastic and is decently priced. Until I did some more internet digging and found a lot of complaints about bed bugs...

I'm almost ready to apply to a complex that looks fantastic and is decently priced. Until I did some more internet digging and found a lot of complaints about bed bugs...
FWIW, I don't think I've ever lived in an apartment that didn't have a big list of complaints. Granted, college kids will complain about almost anything, even if the pest problem was their own fault.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever lived in an apartment that didn't have a big list of complaints. Granted, college kids will complain about almost anything, even if the pest problem was their own fault.
It just worries me because it's literally the biggest complaint out of all the complaints. Between that and the various people complaining about the office not caring anymore once they're renters, it's got me a little concerned. And for as much money as I'd be paying per month, I want to at least trust that if there are problems, that they're problems I could conceivably deal with.

It just worries me because it's literally the biggest complaint out of all the complaints. Between that and the various people complaining about the office not caring anymore once they're renters, it's got me a little concerned. And for as much money as I'd be paying per month, I want to at least trust that if there are problems, that they're problems I could conceivably deal with.
See if anyone has gone as far as to file a complaint with the BBB. Then you know it's fairly serious

I have no regrets about paying more to live alone in a place I actually liked. Worth every penny.
I'm living alone this year for the first time ever (shared bedrooms/slept on lofted beds in undergrad, had a roommate all through vet school and internship) and I LOVE it. It's not a fancy or new apartment. It's not in a particularly fun area of town. But it's quiet, pretty spacious and I can clean as often or as seldom as I want without bothering anyone else.

My husband just found out that someone's (guessing a family member) dog died but he won't tell me who because I'm cramming for my last final (tomorrow). But now I'm too distracted to concentrate...

Personally, I would avoid a place that has lots of bed bug complaints. They're an expensive pest to deal with and cheap landlords don't use proper IPM strategies to control and eliminate them.

If you really like the place otherwise, ask them questions about the complaints and see how they respond. If they throw it all back on the renters, you can bet they still have bed bugs.

Personally, I would avoid a place that has lots of bed bug complaints. They're an expensive pest to deal with and cheap landlords don't use proper IPM strategies to control and eliminate them.

If you really like the place otherwise, ask them questions about the complaints and see how they respond. If they throw it all back on the renters, you can bet they still have bed bugs.
I guess I could. I've put out e-mails to other places as well still hunting. Really just wish I could be handed the perfect apartment to sign and be done with it, y'know?

I guess I could. I've put out e-mails to other places as well still hunting. Really just wish I could be handed the perfect apartment to sign and be done with it, y'know?
How great would that be?

Meanwhile, my roommates and I are still homeless for next year...

I'm still sitting on my lease because of the start date if it makes any of you feel better. I just feel a tad stressed having to move within the first few weeks of my internship and I haven't been able to find anything affordable and short term. I did just find a new 1br apartment that is still mostly within my budget that is like a 5 minute drive from work and available next month. Kind of tempted to go for it.

About 20 minutes into my shift tonight I'm trimming tissue (for histology), and get this pretty big sample. Nothing as large as some things I've seen, but about the size of my fist. It feels pretty solid and the mass in it is pretty large. Thought it was just some kind of tumor, but no! It was a big ole cyst and as soon as I cut into it I got a huge blast of a clear, chunky liquid across my hair and forehead. Thank goodness for goggles, but I reeked for the rest of the night. I'm hoping most of the smell comes out with showering, but I'm thinking I might just need to cut all my hair off and start new.

About 20 minutes into my shift tonight I'm trimming tissue (for histology), and get this pretty big sample. Nothing as large as some things I've seen, but about the size of my fist. It feels pretty solid and the mass in it is pretty large. Thought it was just some kind of tumor, but no! It was a big ole cyst and as soon as I cut into it I got a huge blast of a clear, chunky liquid across my hair and forehead. Thank goodness for goggles, but I reeked for the rest of the night. I'm hoping most of the smell comes out with showering, but I'm thinking I might just need to cut all my hair off and start new.
:barf:

Hand/body scrub works well for this..

So my phone is completely done for. :( I tried doing a factory reset last night, but it still kept crashing, so I took it to Best Buy a couple hours ago. They tried resetting it too but it still wouldn't work, and I guess I don't have their Geek Squad protection plan, so I'll have to call Verizon and/or Samsung to see about getting a replacement. I better not end up having to pay for a new phone just because I didn't get some extra protection plan. I've only had the thing for three months, and it's not like this is my fault. Also I'm sad because this means I've lost all my progress on Neko Atsume. :arghh: I had all the cats, had remodeled my yard twice, and just needed a picture of Peaches and most of the rare cats' mementos. Go ahead and make fun of me. :p

The weather around here is supposed to be really bad tomorrow (especially in KS and OK), at least from everything I've read/heard. Like, potential tornado outbreak sort of bad. Ugh. :unsure:
They expanded the "impending doom" area to include my neck of the woods, too. Hope you're safe!
Need to go clean up my garage so my hubby & I can get both our cars under shelter. That usually guarantees that things don't live up to the forecast.

--- edited ---
Looks like we're under a PDS tornado watch now. First time I've heard that term, but apparently PDS stands for Particularly Dangerous Storms. yikes!

This is probably my third post ever so bear with me being the new girl.

Two months ago I injured my knee playing basketball. This was my 'good' knee as I injured the other one back in the days of high school varsity. My injury resulted in 10 hours in the emergency room and having been off work for the past two months. Being off work also means that I haven't been able to volunteer at all either. Despite the fact that I still have pain all day and have a doctors note requesting I remain off work until the middle of May, I will be returning to work tomorrow (at the request of my employer) and I am so stressed out about it. I work on an industrial mining site so there are so many ways I could end up hurting myself more. To top it off, my interview is this coming Monday and because I'm returning to work on a Monday-Friday schedule, instead of my normal shift work, I had to take vacation days to cover my trip. Thankfully I was approved the vacation time because if I hadn't been I would have had to choose between my job and my vet school interview. Obviously I would choose the interview but I also wasn't quite prepared to quit my job yet either. I am also stressed about looking unprofessional at my interview because I cannot bend my knee so I'm going to be sat a little slouched in my chair.

My favorite thing about being the only minority in a certain role in a small workplace is that if you complain about racist things others have said in your presence, everyone will know it was you who went to management. Yay! :clap: