Residency Matching Likelihood?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerchuffs

Reaction score
Hello vet med friends!
I’m an incoming first year and curious to know if residency placement is at all dependent on vet school attended? I’m trying to decide between one school with a teaching hospital and one without (but has 2 yrs externships). Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your letters of recommendation are FAR more important than what school you go to. Go wherever is cheaper. You will get an equivalent quality education at any AVMA accredited school and you can network to establish relationships and get good letters of rec for your internship/residency applications.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with above! The letters of recommendation and connections with people that you make go a very long way during the match process. The best advice I received was that the veterinary world is small, and when it comes down to the match application you don't know who is going to be asked to vouch for you as many programs will reach out to contacts that they know to get a personal opinion. You never know who will be asked later on, and creating strong/meaningful connections is a very big part of successfully matching.
I don't think this is super helpful personally, but there is free match data from VIRMP (https://www.virmp.org/Content/Match2022Summary.pdf) that lists the match success rates of different specialities every year.
But honestly - when it comes down to choosing a vet school, debt is a serious consideration, and so is planning for your happiness and well being.

Reactions: 1 user
Home institution isn't even brought up in various studies of residency committee evaluators. Letters of Rec is top for sure. Your internship site may have an impact. But not your home institution

Reactions: 1 user