Rotations suck......not learn anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm surprised by this thread, given the match list at AZCOM, I always assumed they had pretty good rotations. Hadn't really look into it.

You'd think they'd just buy a hospital with all the money they have floating around. I mean it's not really that expensive in the whole scheme of things.

It's actually opposite for me. I don't mean any disrespect to my friends or SDN members that attend AZCOM, but when I read about the rotation sites, it amazed me the quality match lists that AZCOM pumps out year after year.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless they are familiar with the rotation site and/or had past residents who rotated there and find out they aren't competent and make a biased call.

Oh. Well that would suck then.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I always heard that going to small town sites (im guessing the OP went to a small town site)

was better as you get better hands on experience vs a big hospital were ur with double the # of students??

Members don't see this ad :)
It's actually opposite for me. I don't mean any disrespect to my friends or SDN members that attend AZCOM, but when I read about the rotation sites, it amazed me the quality match lists that AZCOM pumps out year after year.
As I alluded to before, many of us turn this autonomy and freedom to our benefit at AZCOM(which by the way is not the only school struggling to find good quality rotations). I had hours and hours to focus on my weak points, do practice questions and read a good text book on a highly hot topic I knew I was struggling with.yes I had a lot of rotations I worked 80 hours with weekend call but others were 4-5 hours a day and I learned far more useful and apllicable info. I hated spending hours learning how a particular OCD attending wanted me to write specific discharge notes. I did not learn from that.

As an example. Today not much was going on- I'm rotating through critical care service- I got to the hospital when I wanted too, rounded at my own speed and met my attending at 9. We rounded together. He taught one or two good topics then we placed orders. I was then free to go. So I took concepts that I didn't understand today and went home and studied my critical care book, pulled up two NEJM articles on sepsis guidelines and studied appropriate management of salicylate toxicity. . Then took my kids out to the local mall and danced on stage with my 7 year old girl and played freeze tag with my boys and wife. Later after the kids were down i pulled out my ortho books and banged out 45 min of studying. In the immortal words of Ice Cube "today was a good day"

Now compare that to a friend of mine on a large critical care sevice at a large hospital who rounded at 6 in the morning with residents who gave him two patients. The hospital doesn't allow students in EMR so he sat around waiting for residents to finish notes, then presented to attending and got pimped on obscure topics that only residents would know. Listend to a noon lecture that had no relevance to his circumstance, then he sat around for a few hours waiting for chest x-rays and labs to come back while residents finished their work. They gave him a soft "you can go home but..." So he ended up staying way to long with no new admissions. I asked him what he learned today and he said "critical care sucks" He probably fell asleep exhausted at 10. I've experienced the same at many inpatient rotations at large allopathic programs. I hate this model.

AZCOMs weakness was turned into a strength for me and many other students do the same. That's why I think we have some crazy match lists.

Reactions: 1 user
As I alluded to before, many of us turn this autonomy and freedom to our benefit at AZCOM(which by the way is not the only school struggling to find good quality rotations). I had hours and hours to focus on my weak points, do practice questions and read a good text book on a highly hot topic I knew I was struggling with.yes I had a lot of rotations I worked 80 hours with weekend call but others were 4-5 hours a day and I learned far more useful and apllicable info. I hated spending hours learning how a particular OCD attending wanted me to write specific discharge notes. I did not learn from that.

As an example. Today not much was going on- I'm rotating through critical care service- I got to the hospital when I wanted too, rounded at my own speed and met my attending at 9. We rounded together. He taught one or two good topics then we placed orders. I was then free to go. So I took concepts that I didn't understand today and went home and studied my critical care book, pulled up two NEJM articles on sepsis guidelines and studied appropriate management of salicylate toxicity. . Then took my kids out to the local mall and danced on stage with my 7 year old girl and played freeze tag with my boys and wife. Later after the kids were down i pulled out my ortho books and banged out 45 min of studying. In the immortal words of Ice Cube "today was a good day"

Now compare that to a friend of mine on a large critical care sevice at a large hospital who rounded at 6 in the morning with residents who gave him two patients. The hospital doesn't allow students in EMR so he sat around waiting for residents to finish notes, then presented to attending and got pimped on obscure topics that only residents would know. Listend to a noon lecture that had no relevance to his circumstance, then he sat around for a few hours waiting for chest x-rays and labs to come back while residents finished their work. They gave him a soft "you can go home but..." So he ended up staying way to long with no new admissions. I asked him what he learned today and he said "critical care sucks" He probably fell asleep exhausted at 10. I've experienced the same at many inpatient rotations at large allopathic programs. I hate this model.

AZCOMs weakness was turned into a strength for me and many other students do the same. That's why I think we have some crazy match lists.

Thanks for your perspective (and yours, Flushot.)

I for one am still thrilled to be attending AZCOM next year. It has problems, some of them major, some not so major. So does every school. I'm just thrilled beyond belief to have a seat at a US medical school.

I get the advice from Orthojoe and Flushot to be proactive but as a pre-med a lot of it is hard to put in context. Having never been a med student in any rotation I know next to nothing about what med students are actually supposed to do on rotations. So while I appreciate the admonition to be proactive, it's hard for me to understand what constitutes being proactive in a world I still know relatively little about. Is this something that will become clearer when I get closer to and start 3rd year rotations?

Edit: obviously Orthojoe's anecdote about his day today does point out extra studying time as a way to be proactive. Someone mentioned visiting patients on their own. Can a med student really just wander around the floor taking H&P's on random patients while the residents and nurses and attendings do their thing?

Last edited:
I always heard that going to small town sites (im guessing the OP went to a small town site)

was better as you get better hands on experience vs a big hospital were ur with double the # of students??

Yea, that's mostly spin and propaganda. Its like saying your better off not getting a raise because you wouldn't use the extra money responsibly or because you're diametrically opposed to taxes and the raise bumps you up a pay scale.

EDIT: let me further clarify what I mean. There are legit reasons to prefer smaller community. But they are not the reasons everyone seems to flock to on here. The arguments you went to are pervasive on this board, so its not your fault for referencing them. But they sound as silly as the tax concerns about getting s raise. While there is a sliver of truth to it, the idea that small will be more hands on is true only in a few isolated scenarios. The idea that there will be less students is totally false, most big programs are highly conscious of student to resident ratios and control then tightly. Smaller places can have 2 on month and 12 the next and not bat an eye. Those arguments aren't the "right" arguments to defend the community places with.

Last edited:

Make no mistakes about it, you are being short-changed, big time! You will realize this if you make it into a good residency program.

This problem is very prevalent in DO schools and there is simply NO EXCUSE for it. It is a huge educational deficit. While you spend and pay dearly for tuition 4 years at these schools, you are really getting only 2 years of education.

The good news is that DO students are often very good and motivated. You will all catch up with your peers from traditional med schools in no time.

The most important thing that you can do is set yourselves up well for great residency matches (do well on boards, take USMLE, do great SubIs at good MD or DO hospitals, get great letters), where med school graduates are turned into doctors.

In the meantime, pick really good SubIs, even if you have to travel outside of the state. Do at least one medicine SubI at an MD program with residents. I did one prior to my surgery SubIs and it helped.

As a former AZCOM graduate, the institution has consistently failed to beef up the clinical education of its students. Instead, it has continuously invested in opening up new colleges and programs, that are themselves shaky in structure from optometry to respiratory tech to PA to dentistry to etc. Most recent is their Vet school.

Why would you even think about a Vet school when your medical school education is 2 years deficient? Simple, they don't care for you. They care for money.

Make no mistakes about it, you are being short-changed, big time! You will realize this if you make it into a good residency program.

This problem is very prevalent in DO schools and there is simply NO EXCUSE for it. It is a huge educational deficit. While you spend and pay dearly for tuition 4 years at these schools, you are really getting only 2 years of education.

The good news is that DO students are often very good and motivated. You will all catch up with your peers from traditional med schools in no time.

The most important thing that you can do is set yourselves up well for great residency matches (do well on boards, take USMLE, do great SubIs at good MD or DO hospitals, get great letters), where med school graduates are turned into doctors.

In the meantime, pick really good SubIs, even if you have to travel outside of the state. Do at least one medicine SubI at an MD program with residents. I did one prior to my surgery SubIs and it helped.

As a former AZCOM graduate, the institution has consistently failed to beef up the clinical education of its students. Instead, it has continuously invested in opening up new colleges and programs, that are themselves shaky in structure from optometry to respiratory tech to PA to dentistry to etc. Most recent is their Vet school.

Why would you even think about a Vet school when your medical school education is 2 years deficient? Simple, they don't care for you. They care for money.
If you mean shortchanged as

- scoring 647 comlex I and 650 comlex II
- scoring 247 USMLE I and 253 USMLE II
- Honors on all clinicals (i rotated at 6 major allopathic programs for pediatrics, gens surg, IM, Ortho, EM, OB) with evals often stating on my Sub-Is "already at intern level" (oh i set these up myself and it was like pulling teeth, man AZCOM fought how much inpatient i was requesting, they also limited my audition rotations in Ortho, had to use my vacation time to get more in)
-matching into the sweetest ortho program

then yea I was shortchanged

No in reality gooooober does have a point. AZCOM does do a disservice to its students in their clinical years. The osteopathic students bank roll this institution. think about it 250 students paying 50K a year and the school provides very little your 3-4 year. They pay out $400 bucks to a preceptor to take a student for 4 weeks. our professors are shared across multiple professions taught at this school. we are responsible for submitting and making sure all paperwork is received at our new rotation, having to deal with a required attendance policy on lecture oriented course (yea i dont like that, heck Im an adult and it should be my choice, I understand if its a lab but lecture? come on!). I could go on. The only thing I was impressed with was the library staff (they really worked hard), the campus itself (except it took a full year to get wireless into the classrooms and we had to petition for it, they initially refused), and my only elective class I took (clincal simulations lab)

Our class put together a petition asking AZCOM to release its financials, they said no because they are a private school and don't need to.

Hey goooober, did you match pediatric surg?? I saw that was an interest of yours during your 2-3rd years?

Bottom line, from my limited understanding AZCOM struggles in providing well structured large clinical opportunities. But I think, as my example has shown, you can choose to not let this be a limiter and you can find ways to get the education you need. I don't feel one bit behind compared to my allo friends. (FYI, i did interview for allo ortho and was told Id rank high.. just too big of a risk for me though to skip the osteopathic match and maybe they were pulling my chain). If you are at AZCOM or are going to be, keep your chin up, work hard and start contacting places you may be interested in rotating to find out if they take outside students (it can take up to 3-4 months for this to get approved by AZCOM so start early) - do as much INPATIENT as you can!!!!!!!!!. You'll do fine.

True enough. But I wont sacrifice honesty for anything. It may be my downfall one day, but least I would die an honest man.

:thumbup: word up. we need more of this attitude.

This is silly. Just because your attending or resident won't pimp you doesn't mean you shouldn't study all relevant aspects of the disease that night. Or, if you don't get to write the note, write your own! Compare it to the notes in the chart/EMR and develop your skills that way.

To sit back and learn nothing would be your fault, ultimately.

I will admit that progressing through most of 3rd year without writing a real note would be odd from an educational standpoint, however.

At TouroCOM (in the "easy" NJ rotation sites) we write formal notes for placement in the chart for FM, IM, surgery, +/- ER, peds, +/- OB/gyn, +/- psych. If you're assigned a place where your notes aren't reviewed you need to be a little bit more proactive.

I agree that students should take initiative and take personal responsibility for their own education; we should all be beyond the point of needing to be spoon fed. However, we're paying BIG bucks for this ride. Our institutions owe us the quality education we are paying for, especially when such institutions tend to be a lot more expensive than that of our allopathic counterparts (who may or may not be dealing with this issue of quality rotations).

I hope as more folks complete rotations, more of you come out and drop some truth about the quality of your programs, good or bad. This type of information needs to be seen for the sake of future students... and to put a little bit of heat on any institutions who aren't up to par for the price being paid.

Get up, stand up!

do as much INPATIENT as you can!!!!!!!!!. You'll do fine.

So quick question, why do you suggest getting as much inpatient as possible? The other option is a preceptor? Thanks

This is amazing, I am a MD student so don't know a whole lot about DO rotations but writing no notes?:eek::eek:

I'd say I have wrote at least 200-300 so far and I have 4 months left in 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that so many people on here are wondering if it's their school the OP is talking about is what bothers me the most about DO education. I wrote somewhat extensively about this on another thread in the pre-osteo board (or maybe the osteo student board, I forget).

I'm a Transitional Year intern at a program with an IM residency. We have DO students from two different schools rotate through here. The IM residency is about 2/3 DO and 1/3 MD grads.

The "education" the students receive here for their clinical years is poor at best. The same experiences the OP refers to (never writing notes, having essentially zero duties or responsibilities) describes much of what the DO students experience when rotating through my hospital (which is a community hospital that just happens to affiliate itself with two DO schools). Knowing how absolutely variable and unstructured so many of these students' rotations are (and we're talking core medicine/surgery rotations) legitimately makes me wonder how they go on to be functional residents at all. And indeed, the IM residency at my hospital is not particularly great . . . as someone said earlier on this thread, there are some not great residencies out there.

When I look at my upper level IM residents here, I realize that 2/3 of them trained under these kinds of circumstances in school (and most of them actually attended one of the DO schools that has students rotate here). And to be honest, a lot of time it shows. With all the "DO is equal to MD" speak that goes on around here (and I've been an advocate of that since premed days), this year really makes me re-evaluate that statement.

The fact that so many people on here are wondering if it's their school the OP is talking about is what bothers me the most about DO education. I wrote somewhat extensively about this on another thread in the pre-osteo board (or maybe the osteo student board, I forget).

I'm a Transitional Year intern at a program with an IM residency. We have DO students from two different schools rotate through here. The IM residency is about 2/3 DO and 1/3 MD grads.

The "education" the students receive here for their clinical years is poor at best. The same experiences the OP refers to (never writing notes, having essentially zero duties or responsibilities) describes much of what the DO students experience when rotating through my hospital (which is a community hospital that just happens to affiliate itself with two DO schools). Knowing how absolutely variable and unstructured so many of these students' rotations are (and we're talking core medicine/surgery rotations) legitimately makes me wonder how they go on to be functional residents at all. And indeed, the IM residency at my hospital is not particularly great . . . as someone said earlier on this thread, there are some not great residencies out there.

When I look at my upper level IM residents here, I realize that 2/3 of them trained under these kinds of circumstances in school (and most of them actually attended one of the DO schools that has students rotate here). And to be honest, a lot of time it shows. With all the "DO is equal to MD" speak that goes on around here (and I've been an advocate of that since premed days), this year really makes me re-evaluate that statement.

To be fair that's kind of like judging the clinical aptitude of your class based on the folks that went into psych. It's a biased sample.

The smarter, more driven DO students are going to head straight for a university IM program with plenty of fellowships.

Although I see what you are saying which really sucks not only for the DO students that experience poor clinical rotations, but those that don't or rise above those experiences and are judged based on their peers.

To be fair that's kind of like judging the clinical aptitude of your class based on the folks that went into psych. It's a biased sample.

The smarter, more driven DO students are going to head straight for a university IM program with plenty of fellowships.

Although I see what you are saying which really sucks not only for the DO students that experience poor clinical rotations, but those that don't or rise above those experiences and are judged based on their peers.

While the resident comparison may be as such, I have been told multiple times that our hospital is actually where one of the school's best students get to rotate, and everyone thinks its the best learning experience. When put in that context, and given the total lack of awareness as medical students that I've consistently witnesses, it worries me a good bit.

There are of course always exceptions. We had one student rotate through who seemed very good and stood out head and shoulders above the rest. But as the sample size grows as the year progresses, I'm less optimistic about the students as a whole.

Part of the deficit lies with the school, part with the preceptors themselves, and part with the students who would do well to at least take the initiative to learn what being a 3rd year medical student generally entails (things like showing up early to preround, looking interested, trying to help or asking how they can be a help, etc). I realize that not all students are as motivated as the OP to take responsibility for their own clinical education, and the path of least resistance can lead to some major slacking if allowed. But I've had to sit down with several of the students here and explain these basic ideas as if they were a completely foreign concept and not remotely intuitive. I'm not suggesting students should start their first day of third year ready to write a bunch if notes, carry multiple patients, and present a paper daily or anything. But coming in with a very basic (if even only vague) understanding of the clinical roles a medical student can and should play is not too much to expect.

Last edited:
I wrote a ton of notes in 3rd year at TCOM, where rotations are pretty structured. There is an orientation session and a syllabus with detailed requirements for each rotation - core competencies, didactics, case report, grading scheme, etc. For example, in surgery, you can't get a passing grade without a demonstration of fundamental skills and completing a checklist of tasks and getting it signed by the chief resident.

Our class put together a petition asking AZCOM to release its financials, they said no because they are a private school and don't need to.

Because AZCOM is a not-for-profit school you should be able to look up their financial statement online.To stay exempt from income tax they must provide this information to the government. Look online for an IRS form 990.

So quick question, why do you suggest getting as much inpatient as possible? The other option is a preceptor? Thanks

Because inpatient means admitted to the hospital and that is where the sickest patients go. The other option is clinic based.

Even if you are 100% bet-your-life positive you're going to be working in the out patient setting, it is worth getting your training and first exposures to illnesses in their more severe state. That way when you're alone in your clinic, you can be confident that the asthmatic, appy, or diabetic could be worse - or, importantly, you'll know what sick actually looks like.

Do no let them try and dissuade you from the importance of inpatient medicine!!! I know they tried at my school.

Imagine a world where educators put education first. Such a strange idea right?

this encompasses midwestern university - NOT AZCOM... midwestern is the non profit parent company that owns multiple FOR-profit organizations - which AZCOM is. AZCOM is a FOR PROFIT subsidiary school (same as their vet school, PA school, etc). What we want is an operating budget for AZCOM itself, which they denied to provide us.

is that hybrid combination allowed in ariz? in some states, a nonprofit charter school can own a for-profit company outside the teaching business - like a company that sells them supplies/software (at huge markups ultimately paid for by taxpayers - very nice business plan).
but here the parent midwestern and the subsidiary azcom are in the same teaching business.

http://www.grantspace.org/Tools/Knowledge-Base/Nonprofit-Management/Establishment/Subsidiaries
For-profit subsidiaries of nonprofits
A nonprofit parent may establish a for-profit entity because, as one example, they wish to engage in unrelated business acitivities that do not directly pertain to the stated mission of the nonprofit. Or, they may wish to avert possible risk and liability that might be directed at the original organization if the activities were carried out under its tax-exempt status.

is that hybrid combination allowed in ariz? in some states, a nonprofit charter school can own a for-profit company outside the teaching business - like a company that sells them supplies/software (at huge markups ultimately paid for by taxpayers - very nice business plan).
but here the parent midwestern and the subsidiary azcom are in the same teaching business.

http://www.grantspace.org/Tools/Knowledge-Base/Nonprofit-Management/Establishment/Subsidiaries
For-profit subsidiaries of nonprofits
A nonprofit parent may establish a for-profit entity because, as one example, they wish to engage in unrelated business acitivities that do not directly pertain to the stated mission of the nonprofit. Or, they may wish to avert possible risk and liability that might be directed at the original organization if the activities were carried out under its tax-exempt status.
Good point. Not sure...

The bottom line is that our "dean" refused our request of AZCOM's working budget due to the institution being a for profit private college.

Here's another kicker - the name Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (AZCOM) is owned by none other than A.T Still University so we cant even do an entity search to determine their filing status (LLC, corp, etc). Its listed as a trade name c/o A.T. Still university. AZCOM is operating under a trade name they dont own, so obviously they file under a different name. Midwestern University is a registered entity here in AZ though.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive"

http://www.azsos.gov/scripts/TNT_Search_engine.dll/ZoomTNT?NME_ID=162988&NME_CODE=NME

So in the end who knows - were we lied to? Im done in 10 weeks....

At which point in our education is it wise to start contacting hospitals to find out if they accept med students?

- scoring 647 comlex I and 650 comlex II
- scoring 247 USMLE I and 253 USMLE II
- Honors on all clinicals (i rotated at 6 major allopathic programs for pediatrics, gens surg, IM, Ortho, EM, OB) with evals often stating on my Sub-Is "already at intern level" (oh i set these up myself and it was like pulling teeth, man AZCOM fought how much inpatient i was requesting, they also limited my audition rotations in Ortho, had to use my vacation time to get more in)
-matching into the sweetest ortho program

then yea I was shortchanged

It sounds like you would've done well anywhere, as these are not the scores of a typical osteopathic medical student. People at my school with those COMLEX scores matched urology, ophthalmology, and orthopedic surgery, which are obviously difficult specialties to obtain in either match.

Not that I disagree with the idea of being proactive but I think it is only part of the equation and should include a $45,000-$50,000 product for a $45,000-$50,000 tuition.

I started after the mid of my second year - our school does a lottery system to determine where you will do your clinicals.. at the time they didnt let us know until mid way through our second year. It can take 3-4 months if the school does not have a contract with them (at least that is what AZCOM told us).

Same goes for your audition rotations, start setting them up december/january of your third year.

No you don't have too, you could take the schools listed preceptors but I had spoken to upper classman and decided to circumvent the school and pick programs that had great reputations. I chose about 60% of my rotations my third year and 90% of my rotations fourth year. I was not going to leave my education in the hands of someone else, particularly AZCOM.

So instead of doing OB at an outpatient facility (which is what my school had me down for) I chose to do an inpatient rotation at a large hospital affiliated with resident, instead of doing a community pediatric rotation (again what my school set up) I chose to rotate at a nationally recognized pediatric hospital with a large residency program, instead of doing Gen surg with a preceptor I again set up my rotation at a large residency based program at a large well known hospital in the area - should I go on... I got these spots because I did it early and I physically either drove and spoke to the student coordinators or called them. Not to mention I made sure I did awesome on step I (comlex and usmle)

I changed preceptors and locations that after my school assigned me I knew would be crap. although it didnt work so well for psych, my original one I set up ended up falling through and I got put with a school designated preceptor. I literally sat there for 10 hours a day in a chair watching my preceptor talk. Ugggh it was horrible. I didnt speak to one patient or write one note -- and the preceptor gave me a 80% on the evaluation for doing what he told me to do - just sit there. Maybe I wiggled to much in the seat. I had to pull a 100% on the shelf exam to end up with an A- ,, so lame!

No you don't have too, you could take the schools listed preceptors but I had spoken to upper classman and decided to circumvent the school and pick programs that had great reputations. I chose about 60% of my rotations my third year and 90% of my rotations fourth year. I was not going to leave my education in the hands of someone else, particularly AZCOM.

So instead of doing OB at an outpatient facility (which is what my school had me down for) I chose to do an inpatient rotation at a large hospital affiliated with resident, instead of doing a community pediatric rotation (again what my school set up) I chose to rotate at a nationally recognized pediatric hospital with a large residency program, instead of doing Gen surg with a preceptor I again set up my rotation at a large residency based program at a large well known hospital in the area - should I go on... I got these spots because I did it early and I physically either drove and spoke to the student coordinators or called them. Not to mention I made sure I did awesome on step I (comlex and usmle)

I changed preceptors and locations that after my school assigned me I knew would be crap. although it didnt work so well for psych, my original one I set up ended up falling through and I got put with a school designated preceptor. I literally sat there for 10 hours a day in a chair watching my preceptor talk. Ugggh it was horrible. I didnt speak to one patient or write one note -- and the preceptor gave me a 80% on the evaluation for doing what he told me to do - just sit there. Maybe I wiggled to much in the seat. I had to pull a 100% on the shelf exam to end up with an A- ,, so lame!

Did the school have any issue with you changing your rotations from their preceptors to other sites?

Did the school have any issue with you changing your rotations from their preceptors to other sites?
Nope, I had to jump through a few hoops of paperwork but as long as I met their core requirement they were glad. It meant less demand on their limited resources. AZCOM requires 2 months IM (one inpatient), 2 months FM, pediatrics, cardio, OB/Gyn, rural rotation, gen surg, psych your third year with one elective (i dont think I missed anything). I met those requirements at sites I wanted for inpatient IM, FM, pediatrics, ob/gyn, gen surg -- for rural and elective I did ortho and another pediatrics.

our fourth year they require sub speciality IM, critical care, subspecialty surgery, ED.. I set up my own rotations for all except critical care, the rest of the rotations I set up as audition rotations in ortho - well one I did as sports medicine in an ortho program because our school only allows so many rotations in one field. so I set up a sports medicine rotation with a sports med doc who worked at an ortho program I was interested in.

Lots of strings pulled, lots of leg work and flowers to my coordinator :) I am not against bribes. But I feel I got an awesome education and obviously matched in the field I wanted (ortho).

This is amazing, I am a MD student so don't know a whole lot about DO rotations but writing no notes?:eek::eek:

I'd say I have wrote at least 200-300 so far and I have 4 months left in 3rd year.

Um...Most "DO" rotations are with MD students as well.

Last edited:

So is this something that most DO schools would let you do (setting up your own rotations) or is it unique to AZCOM? I thought you had to do your core rotations only at sites that are affiliated with the school?

Looks like you took the initiative and found sites where you got excellent clinical education. But at the same time, i am concern that you had to take the initiative, and that someone who wasn't as motivated as you were, or couldn't travel or be as flexible (ie family, etc) would not have the same opportunity that you had. And you had to pay $40k in tuition to AZCOM for you to do most of the legwork (of course having your home institution provide medical malpractice insurance is helpful, but it is actually pretty cheap for students).

When I was a student at PCOM, I did my general surgery rotation at a large university affliated community hospital (level 1 trauma center) that had its own acgme general surgery program. That site was assigned to me (I didn't have to do anything). Same for my Internal Medicine rotation (large university-affiliated community hospital, level 1 trauma although doesn't matter for medicine) with its own acgme internal medicine program. Same for OB/GYN. Family Medicine was at a place (community hospital) with its own Family Med residency (combined AOA/ACGME) where I spent the duration in clinic. Again, didn't have to do any legwork, was assigned those spots. Peds was at a university-affiliated hospital where it didn't have a peds residency program - my peds rotation was split halfway between inpatient and outpatient experience (and inpatient was with a peds attending and family med residents). Psych was similar (no psych residents, but inpatient experience with family med residents at a community hospital). The only legwork I had to do as a 3rd year was decide where I wanted to do my Surgery Selective and IM Selective (again, I just had to pick from a list, and it was done - ended up doing pediatric surgery at a large university-affiliated community hospital and GI at a community hospital with an ACGME GI fellowship). As a 4th year student, sometimes I couldn't decide what I wanted to do on the next rotation (and only decide a week in advance). Fortunately the list of networks and affiliates were large enough that it was possible for me to schedule a rotation at the last minute (and get a decent place)

So overall, I had good overall clinical experiences, with a good mixture of inpatient and outpatient exposure, and worked with lots of residents. And I wrote my fair share of notes (whether H&P, daily progress note, discharge summary, pre-op note, post-op note, etc). And I didn't have to work hard or go out of my school's network to get that experience.

So I am slightly disappointed to hear that you had to work hard to get the experiences that you did. I'm glad that you did. And I'm happy that you matched in your specialty and location of choice. But I wonder if you did well in spite of your medical school, and not because of your medical school? (I have heard about AZCOM's poor clinical educational setup from a lot of AZCOM alumni so it didn't surprise me, and I've met many AZCOM alumni who did what you did - took the initiative to get their experiences, sometimes with the school standing in their way)

The one thing I noticed when I was a 4th year student ... a lot of electives and rotations at a lot of hospitals (especially university medical centers attached to a medical school) only allow 4th years to rotate through (and their electives were not available for 3rd year students). It is easier to do a 3rd year selective/elective at a hospital where the school already has a formal affiliation agreement. So to get the experiences that you had (without much assistance from your medical school or its clinical affiliates), you must have work very hard (and very proactive).

And while it is great that AZCOM's clinical rotations will give you time to study for the boards (much to your chagrin), there is something to be said for clinical exposure and experience. Reading up on salicylate toxicity is not the same as actually managing someone with salicylate toxicity. How frequently do you monitor the electrolytes, how to physically put in an A-line for frequent ABGs, titrating the bicarb drip, starting a dextrose infusion, etc. To actually see and manage a real patient from admission to discharge (or transfer to medicine as a downgrade) is more informative. There is only so much you can learn from a book. But since you're going to ortho ... insert ortho joke here :smuggrin:

I would like to remind everyone that the OP's current school or clinical site have not been publicly identified yet (and I understand the OP's reluctance to identify the school or site). AZCOM was brought up by another user based on his/her personal experience.

Um...Most of "DO" rotations are with MD students as well.

Yup - while a PCOM student, I worked side-by-side with students from Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, and Penn. It was my family medicine rotation that I worked with students from another DO school in addition to PCOM students.

And at my current place (university hospital), the 3rd year MD students are split up between the main hospital, and the community hospitals that the medical school is affiliated with. It's impossible to have all the 3rd year MD students rotate at the main hospital.

Looks like you took the initiative and found sites where you got excellent clinical education. But at the same time, i am concern that you had to take the initiative, and that someone who wasn't as motivated as you were, or couldn't travel or be as flexible (ie family, etc) would not have the same opportunity that you had. And you had to pay $40k in tuition to AZCOM for you to do most of the legwork (of course having your home institution provide medical malpractice insurance is helpful, but it is actually pretty cheap for students).

When I was a student at PCOM, I did my general surgery rotation at a large university affliated community hospital (level 1 trauma center) that had its own acgme general surgery program. That site was assigned to me (I didn't have to do anything). Same for my Internal Medicine rotation (large university-affiliated community hospital, level 1 trauma although doesn't matter for medicine) with its own acgme internal medicine program. Same for OB/GYN. Family Medicine was at a place (community hospital) with its own Family Med residency (combined AOA/ACGME) where I spent the duration in clinic. Again, didn't have to do any legwork, was assigned those spots. Peds was at a university-affiliated hospital where it didn't have a peds residency program - my peds rotation was split halfway between inpatient and outpatient experience (and inpatient was with a peds attending and family med residents). Psych was similar (no psych residents, but inpatient experience with family med residents at a community hospital). The only legwork I had to do as a 3rd year was decide where I wanted to do my Surgery Selective and IM Selective (again, I just had to pick from a list, and it was done - ended up doing pediatric surgery at a large university-affiliated community hospital and GI at a community hospital with an ACGME GI fellowship). As a 4th year student, sometimes I couldn't decide what I wanted to do on the next rotation (and only decide a week in advance). Fortunately the list of networks and affiliates were large enough that it was possible for me to schedule a rotation at the last minute (and get a decent place)

So overall, I had good overall clinical experiences, with a good mixture of inpatient and outpatient exposure, and worked with lots of residents. And I wrote my fair share of notes (whether H&P, daily progress note, discharge summary, pre-op note, post-op note, etc). And I didn't have to work hard or go out of my school's network to get that experience.

So I am slightly disappointed to hear that you had to work hard to get the experiences that you did. I'm glad that you did. And I'm happy that you matched in your specialty and location of choice. But I wonder if you did well in spite of your medical school, and not because of your medical school? (I have heard about AZCOM's poor clinical educational setup from a lot of AZCOM alumni so it didn't surprise me, and I've met many AZCOM alumni who did what you did - took the initiative to get their experiences, sometimes with the school standing in their way)

The one thing I noticed when I was a 4th year student ... a lot of electives and rotations at a lot of hospitals (especially university medical centers attached to a medical school) only allow 4th years to rotate through (and their electives were not available for 3rd year students). It is easier to do a 3rd year selective/elective at a hospital where the school already has a formal affiliation agreement. So to get the experiences that you had (without much assistance from your medical school or its clinical affiliates), you must have work very hard (and very proactive).

And while it is great that AZCOM's clinical rotations will give you time to study for the boards (much to your chagrin), there is something to be said for clinical exposure and experience. Reading up on salicylate toxicity is not the same as actually managing someone with salicylate toxicity. How frequently do you monitor the electrolytes, how to physically put in an A-line for frequent ABGs, titrating the bicarb drip, starting a dextrose infusion, etc. To actually see and manage a real patient from admission to discharge (or transfer to medicine as a downgrade) is more informative. There is only so much you can learn from a book. But since you're going to ortho ... insert ortho joke here :smuggrin:

I would like to remind everyone that the OP's current school or clinical site have not been publicly identified yet (and I understand the OP's reluctance to identify the school or site). AZCOM was brought up by another user based on his/her personal experience.

Yup - while a PCOM student, I worked side-by-side with students from Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, and Penn. It was my family medicine rotation that I worked with students from another DO school in addition to PCOM students.

And at my current place (university hospital), the 3rd year MD students are split up between the main hospital, and the community hospitals that the medical school is affiliated with. It's impossible to have all the 3rd year MD students rotate at the main hospital.

Great! :thumbup:

This has been my experience from PCOM so far. Also, it's important to find out what previous students thought of a rotation site. A quick question on Facebook or text messages to your med school buddies will usually get you a person who's been to that site.

Good thing about PCOM is the extensive list of rotation sites for each rotation. There are always a chance to switch to another site if you find out that the particular site your assigned with is not very good. I guess this is one of the reasons why PCOM is a highly regarded DO school. :))

This has been my experience from PCOM so far. Also, it's important to find out what previous students thought of a rotation site. A quick question on Facebook or text messages to your med school buddies will usually get you a person who's been to that site.

Good thing about PCOM is the extensive list of rotation sites for each rotation. There are always a chance to switch to another site if you find out that the particular site your assigned with is not very good. I guess this is one of the reasons why PCOM is a highly regarded DO school. :))
I'm here for ya ;)

When I was a student at PCOM, I did my general surgery rotation at a large university affliated community hospital (level 1 trauma center) that had its own acgme general surgery program. That site was assigned to me (I didn't have to do anything). Same for my Internal Medicine rotation (large university-affiliated community hospital, level 1 trauma although doesn't matter for medicine) with its own acgme internal medicine program. Same for OB/GYN. Family Medicine was at a place (community hospital) with its own Family Med residency (combined AOA/ACGME) where I spent the duration in clinic. Again, didn't have to do any legwork, was assigned those spots. Peds was at a university-affiliated hospital where it didn't have a peds residency program - my peds rotation was split halfway between inpatient and outpatient experience (and inpatient was with a peds attending and family med residents). Psych was similar (no psych residents, but inpatient experience with family med residents at a community hospital). The only legwork I had to do as a 3rd year was decide where I wanted to do my Surgery Selective and IM Selective (again, I just had to pick from a list, and it was done - ended up doing pediatric surgery at a large university-affiliated community hospital and GI at a community hospital with an ACGME GI fellowship).

Interesting. To contrast, my rotation experience has been thus (all small community hospital):
Gen surg - pretty cush hours, great preceptor who challenged my knowledge, but did mostly breast surgery with some lap chole's, appy's and hernia repairs. We did one bowel resection. On the plus side, I got to work up all the new consults from the ED, do the H&P's, first assist and close most cases.
IM - half inpatient, half outpatient. Wrote lots of inpatient notes, but outpatient was a pain cause they had a new EMR with no student access and not enough computers anyway. Read echo's, EKG's, saw decent pathology. Preceptor took 2 months to return eval and screwed it up due to not reading instructions.
OB/Gyn - total mess. no organization at all, minimal gyn exposure, worked with residents, but when I was on, junior residents were there to take all deliveries and surgeries. Got to write notes, but that's about it.
Family med - what you would expect I guess...did it at outpatient residency clinic. residents were pretty helpful, but no EMR access.
Peds - outpatient, with occasional kid in the hospital for RSV plus nursery rounds. No EMR access. This one's really frustrating cause there's actually a lot of interesting pathology due to the demographics of the area (good bit of congenital defects), and I try to be aggressive in terms of doing more but I'm hitting a wall. Total shadowing experience and don't see it getting much better.
Psych - liked the doc, but pretty painful. all outpatient, sitting in a chair all day listening to sessions. Started thinking about booking the last appointment of every day for myself, because I was getting suicidal.

The biggest mistake I made was assuming that there would be the same logical organization and structure to 3rd and 4th year as in the first 2 with specific expectations in regards to clinical exposure and skills. The school issues syllabi for each rotation, but I doubt very many preceptors have ever looked at them. I would classify my pre-clinical education as excellent, but clinicals are a real crapshoot and it's seriously impacted my view of osteopathic education in general because I think if it's this hit or miss at my school (well established, large hospital network), it could be really bad elsewhere. FWIW, our site administrators do as well as they can with the resources available and the school administrators try to be responsive. The problem is that schools keep expanding like an Alabaman waistline, and the clinical education infrastructure just isn't there to support all these students. Many of us end up on weak rotations with docs who treat education as an afterthought, if they bother to think about it at all.

I would have gladly put in extra effort to secure solid rotations at bigger institutions, but we have limitations on how many rotations we can do off site and those pretty much get used up for auditions.

Um...Most "DO" rotations are with MD students as well.

Are they? And keep in mind you're answering for the entire nation, not just Philly where there's one DO school with a bunch of MD schools.

I'm not asking to be a jerk, but I'm genuinely curious, as I can't imagine that describes the majority of cases or that it can be generalized to describe most DO schools. PCOM has the benefit of being a well established DO school and it exists in a city chock full of MD schools.

But maybe I'm way off.

AZCOM 4th year here. About 70% of my rotations were with fellow MD students.

Nope, I had to jump through a few hoops of paperwork but as long as I met their core requirement they were glad. It meant less demand on their limited resources. AZCOM requires 2 months IM (one inpatient), 2 months FM, pediatrics, cardio, OB/Gyn, rural rotation, gen surg, psych your third year with one elective (i dont think I missed anything). I met those requirements at sites I wanted for inpatient IM, FM, pediatrics, ob/gyn, gen surg -- for rural and elective I did ortho and another pediatrics.

our fourth year they require sub speciality IM, critical care, subspecialty surgery, ED.. I set up my own rotations for all except critical care, the rest of the rotations I set up as audition rotations in ortho - well one I did as sports medicine in an ortho program because our school only allows so many rotations in one field. so I set up a sports medicine rotation with a sports med doc who worked at an ortho program I was interested in.

Lots of strings pulled, lots of leg work and flowers to my coordinator :) I am not against bribes. But I feel I got an awesome education and obviously matched in the field I wanted (ortho).

According to their website, AZCOM requires students to do their 3rd year required rotations 'in-system' with the exception of the required primary care rotations, which can be done 'in-system' or 'out-of-system.' Is that no longer true?

I have been accepted to AZCOM and chose it over Western and KCOM.I guess it is to late but this thread really has me worried. Maybe I should attend my interview at NOVA...any thoughts?

According to their website, AZCOM requires students to do their 3rd year required rotations 'in-system' with the exception of the required primary care rotations, which can be done 'in-system' or 'out-of-system.' Is that no longer true?
not hard to make a preceptor/hospital/etc "in system" -- its just a bunch of paperwork.

Lots of good info in this thread, lots of complaining, lots of insight into how clinical education is structured at various places.

But what's the cause of the problem and what's the solution?

Too many students? Should we cut back on class sizes?

Are schools paying rotation sites too little (or straight-up not paying them at all)? Are we willing to pay more in tuition for better sites? Should faculty/staff/admin take a pay cut so that we can buy better sites? Isn't a major criticism of Carib schools that they buy up all their rotation sites?

Are preceptors too afraid of litigation if they let students do things? Is this a legitimate concern or are they just coming up with excuses because they don't feel like teaching/are lazy/are only in it for the CME/cash?

Are there simply not enough quality preceptors willing to teach? What would it take to improve the quality AND quantity?

Did someone screw up at a rotation site and the rest of you are paying for it? If so, how do we prevent this from happening in the future? Do we have ANOTHER layer of competence to go through before we can move from MS2-MS3? Are we willing to sacrifice board prep/class time for this?

Ultimately, you have to ask: Do the schools legitimately not care what happens to you on rotations, or are they at the limits of what is reasonable, affordable, possible, and available?

And even more importantly: What would it take for you, after you graduate from residency/fellowship, to take on an unknown MS3?