SGU c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I’m really torn on what to do :( I was hoping for fall but would maybe be interested in January if I don’t get into my in state school so I don’t want to decline my spot. This is application cycle is like a punch in the gut. I wonder if they could tell me what # I would be on the waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I’m really torn on what to do :( I was hoping for fall but would maybe be interested in January if I don’t get into my in state school so I don’t want to decline my spot. This is application cycle is like a punch in the gut. I wonder if they could tell me what # I would be on the waitlist

I feel the same. It’s so exciting to see people getting acceptances but it’s also discouraging having radio silence in the emails. It's my first time applying, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. There’s still time left in this cycle, so we can’t count ourselves out yet! And if we don’t get into this cycle, there’s always next year!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I was wondering if it would look frowned upon to email asking about a status update? Especially since it hasn’t been the full 12 weeks since the interview?
I did before my 12 weeks and they didn’t mind at all! They were super nice

Members don't see this ad :)
Did y'all just do the survey or did you also send the acknowledgment of acceptance? Or would I wait to send the acknowledgment of acceptance after I decide to submit a deposit or not?

Did y'all just do the survey or did you also send the acknowledgment of acceptance? Or would I wait to send the acknowledgment of acceptance after I decide to submit a deposit or not?
I just did the survey! I won’t send the paperwork until I’m certain I’ll go. But this way my spot is reserved. We have until 4/15 to send deposit and paperwork so by then I’ll know by all my schools and decide to commit or not. I assume if you don’t pay the deposit by 4/15 they no longer hold your spot and give it away. If I get accepted in the US I’ll prob just email and give my spot away.

Reactions: 1 users
An acceptance is still an acceptance! I am looking at the January offer as an opportunity to chill before moving countries if I choose to go to SGU and don’t make the august class. You will still be a DVM no matter what!!

• Care
I emailed them and they told me by February all decisions will be made, but that there’s updates going out along the way. I’m feeling so discouraged.

• Care
I emailed them and they told me by February all decisions will be made, but that there’s updates going out along the way. I’m feeling so discouraged.
I got the same reply yesterday. Feeling really down about it because clearly other people have been getting acceptances of some kind. So much for a decision within 12 weeks 🥲

• Care
SGU acceptance for January 2024!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what the class sizes are for fall and winter or if they’re different?

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to let everyone know that the mixed animal vet I am shadowing right now is an island school graduate (Ross) and co-owns their own practice. Which recently just opened up a second whole clinic. Do not be discouraged by some people who talk down on island schools!

Reactions: 2 users
I just want to let everyone know that the mixed animal vet I am shadowing right now is an island school graduate (Ross) and co-owns their own practice. Which recently just opened up a second whole clinic. Do not be discouraged by some people who talk down on island schools!
This!! The husband and wife practice owners I work for are both Ross graduates, with a privately owned booming emergency practice, and a second GP clinic. The Mrs is an incredibly surgeon and one of the best doctors I know. Screw anyone who makes you feel bad about applying to or choosing an island school!

Reactions: 4 users
This!! The husband and wife practice owners I work for are both Ross graduates, with a privately owned booming emergency practice, and a second GP clinic. The Mrs is an incredibly surgeon and one of the best doctors I know. Screw anyone who makes you feel bad about applying to or choosing an island school!
Going to also add on here, the primary and my favorite large animal/equine vet I shadowed with also graduated from Ross. Super qualified and just an amazing person and DVM!!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on Oct. 12 and received my acceptance today, Dec. 13! Almost 9 weeks of waiting, but so worth it! If you’re still waiting on yours, I hope it finds you soon 😁

Interviewed on Oct. 12 and received my acceptance today, Dec. 13! Almost 9 weeks of waiting, but so worth it! If you’re still waiting on yours, I hope it finds you soon 😁
For spring or fall?

For spring or fall?
For January 2024 (which is what I personally applied for/would prefer!). However, I know they’ve offered admission to the maximum number of candidates for the August 2023 class and have a waitlist for it going.

Kinda late to the game but figured I would add my stats! I interviewed on 9/15 and was fortunate enough to be accepted for the August class on 10/19! Still waiting to hear back from my #1, in which case I will contact and give up my seat. Best of luck to all still waiting, sending good vibes!

Reactions: 6 users
When are we supposed to accept our seat by? I was reading my acceptance letter again but it doesn’t say when to accept/pay the deposit. Or maybe I completely missed the part where it says it. Fall 2023.

When are we supposed to accept our seat by? I was reading my acceptance letter again but it doesn’t say when to accept/pay the deposit. Or maybe I completely missed the part where it says it. Fall 2023.
As far as I know all schools through VMCAS agree on an April 15th day as decision day. So you must accept/pay your deposit by then.

According to my email, the deposit must be paid by 4/15!

Has anyone found out what the class size is? I have not been able to find a straight answer of past admitted students statistics like I have with other schools such as MSU for example.

Has anyone found out what the class size is? I have not been able to find a straight answer of past admitted students statistics like I have with other schools such as MSU for example.
my bestfriend is a first year and she said 170 for her class!

I’ve been selected to be on the waitlist for August 2023 class. If I call and ask to be considered for Jan 2024 class, is that something that’s possible?

I’ve been selected to be on the waitlist for August 2023 class. If I call and ask to be considered for Jan 2024 class, is that something that’s possible?

Same here! And I have the same question too

So in my email i asked about waitlist ranking (like what’s my chances ig) and the Jan 2024 class and this was the response - “ Much like US Veterinary Schools, our waitlist is unranked. If a seat becomes available, the student is chosen at the discretion of the Faculty Student Selection Committee (FSSC). At this time we will note your interest in January, if a seat becomes available for the January 2024 term, you will be notified. Please note that a seat deposit is not required, however, if your name is called off of the waitlist, a deposit will then be required to hold your seat. If you have any other questions, please let me know.”

I think there’s a survey attached with the admissions letter where you can choose to be only considered in January

I just got accepted to the FTV! Anyone else been accepted to this or done it. It seems like as long as I complete it I can start my DVM in January 2024

I just got accepted to the FTV! Anyone else been accepted to this or done it. It seems like as long as I complete it I can start my DVM in January 2024
Me too!! What I read is that we need to pass all the courses and the final test and with that we are automatically accepted in the DVM program for January 2024!

Happy New Year Everyone! Since the holidays are over, I wanted to reach out to everyone. Its been 11 weeks since my interview date of 10/18, is anyone else who interviewed around then still waiting for their decision? I haven't reached out for an update, I figured they would have emailed me if they had anything. Just curious if I am getting close to a decision, these past 11 weeks have been nerve wracking to say the least. Thanks everyone :)

I’ll email if i need to, but incase anyone knows, what’s the latest someone can get off the waitlist?

I’ll email if i need to, but incase anyone knows, what’s the latest someone can get off the waitlist?

Some people get called up to after the first week of class I think.

Some people get called up to after the first week of class I think.
Wait what? That’s no time for anything at all if classes already start and you then come down????

Wait what? That’s no time for anything at all if classes already start and you then come down????

I agree, but a lot of people decline their seats last minute due to waiting for US schools’ wait lists. I have a friend who just graduated from SGU this year, she was called off the SGU waiting list and started classes 10 days into first year.

I agree, but a lot of people decline their seats last minute due to waiting for US schools’ wait lists. I have a friend who just graduated from SGU this year, she was called off the SGU waiting list and started classes 10 days into first year.
How did she feel starting 10 days in? Overwhelmed with work? Makes me feel like I should start looking into things now in the chance I make it off the waitlist and I somehow end up in that position 🥲

How did she feel starting 10 days in? Overwhelmed with work? Makes me feel like I should start looking into things now in the chance I make it off the waitlist and I somehow end up in that position 🥲

She has said to me before her first year was the hardest one. But 10 days in was not that much. She’s very book smart tho. I feel like I’d be overwhelmed lol

Just received an email rejection, which I sort of expected when I hadn’t received anything 12 weeks -post interview. Best of luck to all who were accepted and wait listed!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I also received a rejection today. Best of luck to all those that were accepted!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if being on the waitlist that there’s a good chance of being accepted?

I’m feeling a bit discouraged since majority of the other schools I’ve applied to have rejected me.

• Care
Does anyone know if being on the waitlist that there’s a good chance of being accepted?

I’m feeling a bit discouraged since majority of the other schools I’ve applied to have rejected me.
I’m in the same boat as you 🥲

Anyone know if the January 2024 class is filled yet??
I know they sent out acceptances a while back for August 2023 & January 2024. There are ~170 seats, and if you were put on the waitlist, they said people wouldn’t hear back till around April or sooner. There are still people waiting to hear back from schools and waiting to go from there to make their decisions. I know they wanted to see everyone's choice on their decision to accept/ not/ waitlist by January 5th. Other than that, I’m not sure if others are still waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
I know they sent out acceptances a while back for August 2023 & January 2024. There are ~170 seats, and if you were put on the waitlist, they said people wouldn’t hear back till around April or sooner. There are still people waiting to hear back from schools and waiting to go from there to make their decisions. I know they wanted to see everyone's choice on their decision to accept/ not/ waitlist by January 5th. Other than that, I’m not sure if others are still waiting to hear back.
I interviewed October 18th, and am still waiting. Admissions said that all decisions would be made by February.

After completing the admission survey it said they would be in contact soon with the next steps...I have not received further communication. Despite submitting it Dec. 8th anyone else in the same boat?

After completing the admission survey it said they would be in contact soon with the next steps...I have not received further communication. Despite submitting it Dec. 8th anyone else in the same boat?

Did you submit the acknowledgment form and paid the deposit?

I also submitted the survey and never heard back other than confirmation of my survey. The deposit is not due until April 15. They did reach out and called to see if I had any further questions. Other than that, I haven’t received the next steps. I did ask them about that, and they just said once you submit the deposit, you’ll be confirmed a HOLD seat, etc., etc. To answer your question, not really other than a call, but I didn’t put in a deposit yet.