SGU c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You get the next steps after you’ve paid the deposit, then you’re considered to have “held a seat”.
Okay thanks. Should I just email them and ask to be removed from the august waitlist but continue to hold my January seat? Or do ya think a resubmit of the survey clicking that option instead will suffice.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay thanks. Should I just email them and ask to be removed from the august waitlist but continue to hold my January seat? Or do ya think a resubmit of the survey clicking that option instead will suffice.

I’m not sure tbh. That would be a question for their admissions team for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else heard anything? I’m on waitlist and so anxious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just emailed the admissions department to give up my seat in the august class as my #1 school accepted me! I hope my seat goes to someone who is anxiously waiting to hear, fingers crossed for all of you.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I just emailed the admissions department to give up my seat in the august class as my #1 school accepted me! I hope my seat goes to someone who is anxiously waiting to hear, fingers crossed for all of you.

CONGRATS THATS SO AWESOME

• Care
So one of the admission advisors gave me a call today to see if I have any questions about being on the waitlist so I asked about the timeline and likelihood of getting off the waitlist. For timeline they said that the absolute earliest you can hear is March. April 15th is when deposits are due for people that have seats so April/after April is when people should start normally hearing. Latest you could hear would be like July 1st because of ‘deadlines’. Always a chance to hear after that date but more unlikely because classes start August 25th and orientation is the week before. They want you to at least have the month to figure out plans of getting down to the island etc. I asked if this was the same timeline for January seats as well and she said yes. She said you would know as soon as possible if you’re being offered a Jan seat. For likelihood of getting off the waitlist, she told me it was unranked so she couldn’t give me an answer to that. She made it sound like the committee does another review (like looking at GPA, experience, LORs, etc etc) and then pull based off that for the open seats. :nailbiting:

So one of the admission advisors gave me a call today to see if I have any questions about being on the waitlist so I asked about the timeline and likelihood of getting off the waitlist. For timeline they said that the absolute earliest you can hear is March. April 15th is when deposits are due for people that have seats so April/after April is when people should start normally hearing. Latest you could hear would be like July 1st because of ‘deadlines’. Always a chance to hear after that date but more unlikely because classes start August 25th and orientation is the week before. They want you to at least have the month to figure out plans of getting down to the island etc. I asked if this was the same timeline for January seats as well and she said yes. She said you would know as soon as possible if you’re being offered a Jan seat. For likelihood of getting off the waitlist, she told me it was unranked so she couldn’t give me an answer to that. She made it sound like the committee does another review (like looking at GPA, experience, LORs, etc etc) and then pull based off that for the open seats. :nailbiting:

Ugh I wish it wasn’t this way honestly it would make me feel worse getting denied rather than if it was just a blind name pick off the waitlist.

Did anyone get the email from Gianna that says congrats on your acceptance to SGU but then later says you’ve been waitlisted. I’m so confused on the wording, and shaking.

Did anyone get the email from Gianna that says congrats on your acceptance to SGU but then later says you’ve been waitlisted. I’m so confused on the wording, and shaking.
I did! I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it 🤣

Mine just said congrats in getting accepted, but I was accepted months ago for fall 2023.

I just now made an account, so I can finally start asking questions instead of just creeping haha! Was anyone here accepted, and loves the idea of going to SGU, but is just a bit nervous due to how far away it is? I was accepted to Midwestern as well, and am leaning more toward that one, simply because it is in the states. SGU seems like a very put-together program, all of the faculty and admissions people I've talked to are so helpful. I just would love your opinions on SGU as a whole and whether or not adapting to island life is easy. (Not to mention, people love to talk down to island schools constantly with zero reason, so this makes me nervous as well). Any input y'all can offer is great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just now made an account, so I can finally start asking questions instead of just creeping haha! Was anyone here accepted, and loves the idea of going to SGU, but is just a bit nervous due to how far away it is? I was accepted to Midwestern as well, and am leaning more toward that one, simply because it is in the states. SGU seems like a very put-together program, all of the faculty and admissions people I've talked to are so helpful. I just would love your opinions on SGU as a whole and whether or not adapting to island life is easy. (Not to mention, people love to talk down to island schools constantly with zero reason, so this makes me nervous as well). Any input y'all can offer is great! Thanks!
Yes!!!! Feeling the exact same way. Accepted at OSU and I love the idea and everything I’ve experienced with SGU so far but I have a lot of family pressuring me to stay in the states.

Yes!!!! Feeling the exact same way. Accepted at OSU and I love the idea and everything I’ve experienced with SGU so far but I have a lot of family pressuring me to stay in the states.
Yay I'm glad someone else is in the same boat. What're your thoughts about it? I want to stay in America but also why not go somewhere cool for three years

Hello! I figured I'd give my input on this as a new graduate from SGU. While attending SGU was a great and unique experience, there are many things you should think about if you are on the fence about going there. Adapting to island life really depends on you as a person. I personally am very adaptable, so it was not too difficult for me adjust, but I do know many classmates who struggled (whether it be mental health, loss of support, or home sick ect). You just have to remember that you are going to a third world country where you don't have the same necessities as the US and are pretty much stranded away from friends and family (virtual messages and facetime can only get you so far sometimes when you want/need support). Yes, they have plenty of modern things on the island but don't expect there to be starbucks, mcdonalds or walmart ect to be there. The ocean view is a nice destressor, but you can only enjoy it for so long before you have to go back to studying. So depending on how you cope with stress or mental health may be a deciding factor whether you attend or not. I will say myself and several of my classmates I have talked to would have loved to been accepted into a US school for the sake of being closer to our support systems or other personal reasons if given the opportunity.

Also in regards to the talking down on island students in particular, I have yet to meet anyone in the real world who has anything negative to say about my education. During clinical year, the professors usually only know you're an island student if you tell them and most of the time my knowledge was on par or even sometimes more than current students on certain subjects. All the students from my clinical school and from what I've heard from colleagues are more than welcoming and very friendly to us joining them.

If you have any additional questions feel free to PM me :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the same boat here! I got accepted to SGU and Midwestern. It really depends on what's important to you and where your personal priorities are. As of right now, I'm planning to attend Midwestern.

Even though Midwestern has higher tuition and is ultimately a little pricier, factoring in ease of transporting my animals and cost of travel for breaks, high concentration of students (which I would assume makes local internships and research more competitive), and generally "getting my ducks in a row" for class (I don't have a passport yet - its a little more complex because I have dual citizenship, and there are some extra steps to set up for SGU eg: living off campus due to pets, island car/transport, banking, passport) SGU was less feasible for me.

However, if I had no animals to worry about or no offer from Midwestern, I'd be happy to give SGU a go. It sounds like an amazing opportunity and life experience, and I know multiple doctors from SGU (one is my clinic's medical director) and a new graduate from Midwestern c/o 2022 who has been a strong leader and phenomenal doctor since starting with us in June. Both schools have outstanding programs and produce strong doctors. In vet med, I haven't seen a lot of stigma surrounding island school graduates. For SGU, you'll be doing your clinical rotations in the states so you still get to experience both island and state schools!

There is no right or wrong answer. It's very personal to you and there's a lot to consider. If at all possible, try touring both before you commit. You might find yourself drawn to one. Worst case, definitely look for people from both schools who you can talk with and ask questions. It's been really helpful to me having doctors at my clinic from both schools that I can ask questions and talk with regarding everything from classes to culture and student life. Also, congratulations!!!! Maybe we'll run into each other next year :)

Has anyone accepted their position at SGU yet ???? Or know they are going for sure ???
I'm currently waiting to see if I get into any of the in-country schools before I commit to SGU. But I'm definitely accepting if I don't!!!

Interviewed 10/18, Accepted 2/3 for 2024 class. I’m not joining the August waitlist. Good luck to all still waiting, and those on the waitlist! :)

I was just accepted yesterday to one of my US school choices. I will be declining my SGU seat. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I accepted my seat for the august class last year but will likely decline it once I hear back from a few schools

Got accepted a while ago. Will be declining my seat if I get off the waitlist at CSU or get accepted to any of the US schools I’m waiting to hear from!

Waiting to get off the waitlist and knowing I may not get a seat is killing my nerves

Just got a seat for January 2024 I’m crying. So excited

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I’ve been accepted for January as well!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
We should start a group somewhere of the accepted january class. It would be nice to talk to other people planning on attending/ get to know some people ahead of time.

I got accepted into my IS school so I will be declining my seat to SGU today for 2024. Best of luck to everyone! ☺️💗

Reactions: 3 users
Can’t make a group on whatsapp without having everyone’s number I think, where on GroupMe all you have to do is send a link i believe. So might be easier for GroupMe. I can make one if everyone wants!

Can’t make a group on whatsapp without having everyone’s number I think, where on GroupMe all you have to do is send a link i believe. So might be easier for GroupMe. I can make one if everyone wants!
yes please

You're invited to my new group 'SGU 🇬🇩🐾🩺' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

I have the option to stay on the august waitlist (but not give up my Jan seat) so I’m not sure what i should chose. 1. Stay on the waitlist incase i can get in earlier 2. Forget the waitlist and just accept the Jan seat

I have the option to stay on the august waitlist (but not give up my Jan seat) so I’m not sure what i should chose. 1. Stay on the waitlist incase i can get in earlier 2. Forget the waitlist and just accept the Jan seat

That’s the same option for me, but I think I’m okay with the idea of starting in January. It’ll be more time to get everything situated and spend time saving up money too. I’m still on the fence tho

That’s the same option for me, but I think I’m okay with the idea of starting in January. It’ll be more time to get everything situated and spend time saving up money too. I’m still on the fence tho
I’ve talked to a few doctors at the place I work at and they said the only con they could potentially see with starting in January would be the timeline of finishing incase I decided I wanted to do an internship/residency afterwards. But i feel the same way otherwise too

Just got an acceptance at Ohio state so I will be declining my seat! Hope it goes to one of you amazing people!

Declined my seat for fall 2023; hope it goes to one of you amazing people!

I just put down my deposit! I'm so excited to see everyone in the fall! :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users