SMDEP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I'm going to avoid this thread and hopefully let Friday sneak up on me :D (I might not be able to resist though!)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao this thread is just 5 pages of anxiety haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mannn... I HAVE TO GET IN SOMEWHERE!!!:arghh: My whole family's been making plans for summer, and they've excluded me in every single one!! saying "oh, she's not gonna be around, so..." :shrug: I'm getting more anxious than ever, now that its only a few days to go..:coldfeet:

Mannn... I HAVE TO GET IN SOMEWHERE!!!:arghh: My whole family's been making plans for summer, and they've excluded me in every single one!! saying "oh, she's not gonna be around, so..." :shrug: I'm getting more anxious than ever, now that its only a few days to go..:coldfeet:

bro, I know that feel. WE will get in somewhere...! If we're posting with this much enthusiasm that has to say something about our zeal for the program right?

Reactions: 1 user
Just of of curiosity, is everyone here that is applying a minority?

bro, I know that feel. WE will get in somewhere...! If we're posting with this much enthusiasm that has to say something about our zeal for the program right?
I'm sure we'll all get in somewhere. I think that people that apply earlier have a higher chance of getting in than people that apply later. I also think there's about 80 spots available at each program site.

I know right!! I just wish there are representatives from different sites checking out this thread.. To see how bad we want to be a part of this program! :angelic:

Well, according to SMDEP, i am a minority... Where I am from is medically underserved and life's not been so rosy. so yeah, i am one.:nailbiting:

Negative. Im indian lol. Unfortunately, that hurts my chances. This program is for URMs. If you look at pictures of the SMDEP alumni each year at different sites, you'll notice 90% of all alumni are URMs. That being said, I could be the 10% that were not URMs in those pictures. Who knows.

Oh man, so everyday, I keep on checking my status but my transcripts aren't recorded yet. I really don't know what to do at this point! Does it really take this long? I sent it the end of January and it's been 3 weeks now. :/ Well, probably 2 weeks now since it had to be delivered but it's still been a pretty long time now.

Hey there, I am assuming the transcripts were sent from your school by UPS and it takes time to reach the NPO. Also, at this point, they will be receiving hundreds of transcripts from students all over the country so it will definitely take some time. I was exactly in your position and what I did was called them. You should do the same. Call them and ask whether your transcripts have been received by them or not and whether or not it qualifies for March 28 date. If not, they will probably move over to April 1 date and you will have to wait a bit to find out where you get into. Hope this helps! Wish you the best!

I think I am. Does being economically disadvantaged count? I'm worried that because I go to a large University that will count me out of being disadvantaged. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am. Does being economically disadvantaged count? I'm worried that because I go to a large University that will count me out of being disadvantaged. Anyone know?

Hello everyone!! We officially have one week left!!! :nailbiting: I hope this week flies by. But between school and clubs, Ive been pretty busy this semester. I feel like I'm taking a lot more classes than most. My major is Biomedical Engineering (BME), so I'm taking Genetic Engineering, MATLAB programming, Research in BME, Biology Lab, Circuit Analysis, and Dynamics. Im taking Orgo next year. For those who are taking it now, how is it? Lastly, I applied to U of W, Yale, and Columbia, but only Yale says its in review. I finished my application Dec. 26 or 23rd (cant remember which). Is this the same with everyone?

Thanks for all the entertainment! GOOD LUCK TO ALL :luck: :D!
Hey there, my two sites are in review and third one, Columbia says nothing. What I have known from previous year reviews is that, "-" on status does not mean it is not under review. They might not have updated because of the volume of applications. Best wishes!

Hey there, I am assuming the transcripts were sent from your school by UPS and it takes time to reach the NPO. Also, at this point, they will be receiving hundreds of transcripts from students all over the country so it will definitely take some time. I was exactly in your position and what I did was called them. You should do the same. Call them and ask whether your transcripts have been received by them or not and whether or not it qualifies for March 28 date. If not, they will probably move over to April 1 date and you will have to wait a bit to find out where you get into. Hope this helps! Wish you the best!

Thanks for replying but oh man, I'm kinda mad right now. I called about my transcript since it's already been more than 10 days, that's not including the delivery time. They received it about a week ago and it still has not been evaluated, which leaves me on the 2nd round (April 1). To be honest, I'm kind of getting discouraged day by day. If I had known that it would take a month to get them evaluated, I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. :/

Thanks for replying but oh man, I'm kinda mad right now. I called about my transcript since it's already been more than 10 days, that's not including the delivery time. They received it about a week ago and it still has not been evaluated, which leaves me on the 2nd round (April 1). To be honest, I'm kind of getting discouraged day by day. If I had known that it would take a month to get them evaluated, I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. :/

Don't get discouraged, you never know! My advisor said she recommended a student last year and she applied last minute. She was accepted into all three of her sites. I guess some replies were faster because she was accepted into one of her sites and about a week later she was accepted into the other two sites. You never know, I'm sure students on the second round are accepted! :nod:

Are most if not all URM guaranteed to get into SMDEP though? I am an URM but I don't want to get my hopes up!:(

You're counted as economically disadvantaged if your family is low-income. Usually economically disadvantaged income is less than 50k.

I hope so. Where'd you find this out???

Since this program was made especially for URM, URM would probably be guaranteed a spot in one of the sites. But then again that also depends on your GPA, essays, etc.

To others who aren't URM, don't lose hope! I'm known people who aren't URM and have gotten into SMDEP. As long as you expressed interest in helping the disadvantaged population, you should have as much chance as the URM.

Are most if not all URM guaranteed to get into SMDEP though? I am an URM but I don't want to get my hopes up!:(

I doubt it, I'm sure there are many more applicants than spots. Therefore, even if you are URM you aren't necessarily "guaranteed" a spot. Of course it helps, and being competitive in your application is your best bet, whether it be through your GPA or your personal statement.

I doubt it, I'm sure there are many more applicants than spots. Therefore, even if you are URM you aren't necessarily "guaranteed" a spot. Of course it helps, and being competitive in your application is your best bet, whether it be through your GPA or your personal statement.

Very true. My GPA is pretty competitive, but I'm not so sure about my essays or references. :inpain: Do you happen to know how many spots there are per site?

Very true. My GPA is pretty competitive, but I'm not so sure about my essays or references. :inpain: Do you happen to know how many spots there are per site?

I've heard a lot of times that it is 80, and I believe that at some point I did see that somewhere official

Edit: Yes, I've just looked around and found that is is ~80 at every site

Hey there, my two sites are in review and third one, Columbia says nothing. What I have known from previous year reviews is that, "-" on status does not mean it is not under review. They might not have updated because of the volume of applications. Best wishes!
Thank you!! Ive also seen that on previous threads. Most of us, if not all, of us have definitely creeped on previous threads. :D

I can totally understand how you might be feeling. All you can do now is keeping your hopes up. Being in the second round does not mean that you will not be selected or you are a less competitive applicant. As long as you are a fit within the mission statement of the site you have applied, you should be good. Best wishes!

Thank you!! Ive also seen that on previous threads. Most of us, if not all, of us have definitely creeped on previous threads. :D

You are absolutely right. The previous threads kinda give us an idea on what to expect, if not the full picture. It would be wonderful if they updated the status often; however, we have to understand that there are many other applicants like us who apply on a daily basis. Hopefully, we all get in!! :)

You are absolutely right. The previous threads kinda give us an idea on what to expect, if not the full picture. It would be wonderful if they updated the status often; however, we have to understand that there are many other applicants like us who apply on a daily basis. Hopefully, we all get in!! :)
I really hope so, too. Honestly, I don't think I can live like this! The anticipation is already getting to me. No more SMDEP threads until Thursday night.

*Checks thread 10 mins later...*

My U Washington is in review finally! Anyone else?

And still nothing with Duke. I'm just assuming it will be -- until decision day.

the day after tommorow.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Tomorrow is Wednesday (HUMP DAYYYYY), then its Thursday, then its FRIDAY!!!! Yay!! I know you all know the days of the week but I'm just excited!

Tomorrow is Wednesday (HUMP DAYYYYY), then its Thursday, then its FRIDAY!!!! Yay!! I know you all know the days of the week but I'm just excited!

Why is Wednesday called "hump day"? I never understood that.

I can't wait for Friday. I probably won't get any sleep tomorrow night and check my status every minute until Friday midnight.:biglove:

:heckyeah:I haven't even been able to concentrate in class! 2 MORE DAYS!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Ahh I'm so jealous of you guys! They just my transcript "received" today. Good luck you guys!